Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Discrimination against hearing impaired in a new mmo?(ESO)

13»

Comments

• kinkyJalepenokinkyJalepeno Member UncommonPosts: 1,044
    Originally posted by Arche_Age

Wow some of you guys are really fucking degrading.

The way you treat someone with a disability really shocks me.

OP, is having trouble with the game.

Zenimax didn't provide his needs. 

So therefore, he posted his issue.

I think it should be standard practice to help those who have a disability.

If this is how the ESO community acts towards the impaired.

Well than have fun with your quest grinding no endgame PVE bug ridden gold spamming pos eso copy/paste dungeon skin game. 

It's obvious you don't give a shit about the OP..  You're more interested in having a pop at the people who play a game you think is crap...    I lol'd

• kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759

Not sure if it was mentioned or not, cant be bothered to wade through all of the back and forth BS over this issue...

You know you can in fact turn on NPC chat so it shows up in your chat box to read, rather than having to hear it. Have this turned on myself as a lot of times while im hunting around for other things and NPCs are talking it gets very quiet and I miss some interesting conversation.

It's one of the chat filter settings, same way you turn on / off zone, say, guild, etc chats. Hell you can even create a brand new tab with only NPC chat enabled to make it so nothing but the stuff theyre saying shows there and it doesnt get mixed up with other players talking, gold spam, etc. (thats the way I have mine setup)

• Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654
    Originally posted by gestalt11

If they were discriminatory then they would being these things to PURPOSELY get rid of you.

That I guess depends, do you think discrimination is defined by it's intent?

So it would then be impossible for someone to 'not' intentionally discriminate? 

I think that it is possible to discriminate without actively doing so or being aware of doing so, I see people doing that all the time.

• RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785
    Originally posted by Arche_Age

Wow some of you guys are really fucking degrading.

The way you treat someone with a disability really shocks me.

OP, is having trouble with the game.

Zenimax didn't provide his needs. 

So therefore, he posted his issue.

I think it should be standard practice to help those who have a disability.

If this is how the ESO community acts towards the impaired.

Well than have fun with your quest grinding no endgame PVE bug ridden gold spamming pos eso copy/paste dungeon skin game. 

If you bothered to read the thread you would already know the OP was helped on the first page with how to turn on NPC chat (which is in the game and not an Add-on, so Zenimax did provide a text option).

But that doesn't support your rampant hate for ESO does it?

• DraemosDraemos Member UncommonPosts: 1,521
    Originally posted by Crownregent

Hello.

As a born deaf person of 35 years old, I have played my share of mmos through the years.

Ultima Online was my first fully invested mmo and I was really thrilled that everything had to be written in order to be conveyed.

Then SWG came along and the same thread of info conveying was followed.

Wow started with missing speech bubbles here and there but they got fixed along the way.

Then there is Elder Scrolls Online...

Where to start? First Lydia and then the prophet... most people who is over the age of 20 cant properly hear what they say.

Then lots of the story chains where you have to follow people and they chat away you don't understand or hear what they say due to either crappy voice actors, weird accents or other issues.

Is any of this speech in writing? NO..... Not even in chat screen which would made it bearable.. but there has been times I have had to guess what the answer to questions were just because there wasn't any written proof to back up what I guessed.

Try to play the game from beginning to scratch with NO sound whatsoever... and then you maybe get what im upset about.

So in my honest opnion Eso is a discriminatory game against anyone who has a hearing impediment.

So Zenimax... unless u fix this shit.. u can forget me as a subscriber and probably everyone else who like to know the story in whole.

Crownregent

How bout instead of whining and pouting about discrimination like a child you take the 5 seconds it takes to find the addon that adds subtitles into the game

• uidLuc1duidLuc1d Member UncommonPosts: 194
    Originally posted by Crownregent

Hello.

As a born deaf person of 35 years old, I have played my share of mmos through the years.

Ultima Online was my first fully invested mmo and I was really thrilled that everything had to be written in order to be conveyed.

Then SWG came along and the same thread of info conveying was followed.

Wow started with missing speech bubbles here and there but they got fixed along the way.

Then there is Elder Scrolls Online...

Where to start? First Lydia and then the prophet... most people who is over the age of 20 cant properly hear what they say.

Then lots of the story chains where you have to follow people and they chat away you don't understand or hear what they say due to either crappy voice actors, weird accents or other issues.

Is any of this speech in writing? NO..... Not even in chat screen which would made it bearable.. but there has been times I have had to guess what the answer to questions were just because there wasn't any written proof to back up what I guessed.

Try to play the game from beginning to scratch with NO sound whatsoever... and then you maybe get what im upset about.

So in my honest opnion Eso is a discriminatory game against anyone who has a hearing impediment.

So Zenimax... unless u fix this shit.. u can forget me as a subscriber and probably everyone else who like to know the story in whole.

Crownregent

*scratches head*

...are you suggesting that everyone magically loses their hearing at age 20?  Also, at 35, if you're still replacing words with letters ( you -> u ), you've gone wrong somewhere.

• BenediktBenedikt Member UncommonPosts: 1,406

YES! and they also discriminating against people who dont speak english, french or german!

and against people who cannt see and hear at the same time!

and against people w/o hands!

and against illiterate people!

and against people who cannt use computers!

they should all sue zenimax!

seriously, did the stupidity in society really already got that far?

• ArchlyteArchlyte Member RarePosts: 1,405
    Originally posted by kakasaki
    Originally posted by Archlyte
    Originally posted by kakasaki
    Originally posted by Archlyte

All MMOs should henceforth be mandated to provide Chat Bubbles because of the Americans With Disabilities Act. Some lawyers might make some money pursuing this obvious discrimination from games like SWTOR, Planetside 2, etc.

This would be a good lever to get chat bubbles into games again. File Suit!

Hope this is sarcasm or trolling cause if you are serious.... god help us all.

Well they force other crap on us through Government and Litigation already. Might as well use it for something I like :)

Short answer: No

Longer answer: As other have stated on this thread, it is not discrimination. Second: I hate chat bubbles. Why force them on me? Lastly: Are we not sick in this country of frivolous, time/tax payer money wasting litigation that only makes the lawyers richer?

You are right of course. I had a good laugh from your post though, awesome.

MMORPG players are often like Hobbits: They don't like Adventures
  • DeddmeatDeddmeat Member UncommonPosts: 387

Originally posted by Benedikt
    YES! and they also discriminating against people who dont speak english, french or german!and against people who cannt see and hear at the same time!and against people w/o hands!and against illiterate people!and against people who cannt use computers! they should all sue zenimax! seriously, did the stupidity in society really already got that far?

This exactly .. If one lot gets what they want for 'discrimination' everyone will try that card no matter what. I have uncontrolled epilepsy, which comes with memory problems, movement problems and can just about handle the first few skill buttons.

Sleep issues, side effects to meds yada yada yada .. Could they do something to help, no idea but some nut might try the discrimination card, me I just see it as I made the choice to play knowing my limitations and the problems I may have. Does mean I group almost never as I feel like I'm holding people back but that's my choice nog to screw them over lol

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Quirhid
    Certain services need to be made available to everyone (by law?). Games are not included in those services. This is not discrimination.

In a nutshell, this. ----^

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• oldboygameroldboygamer Member Posts: 139
    For fuck's sake. Just don't play the fucking game.
  • goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141
    Originally posted by Kyleran
    Originally posted by Gotterdammer

it sucks that they don't take your disability into account, it really does.

It is NOT "discrimination", however. No company anywhere has any obligation to provide a product that meets your needs. Contact them and give them tips on how they can make the game more accessible and if they feel it's worth their time and resources to capture your segment of the market I'm sure they will totally work with you. If not, you'll either have to make do, or move on.

Either way "discrimination" is a pretty heavy word to be throwing around when talking about completely optional leisure activities.

Totally not true.  I work in the financial industry, and recently many banks have been sued because their websites were not fully accessible for the hard of hearing, blind, and physically challenged.

I just took a training course on how to properly design all of our user interfaces to always include allowances for voice, speech and physically impaired so that in every situation, the user can opt to listen, magnify, read, or click via keyboard instead of a mouse to any functionality on the screen.

The OP has a legitimate complaint, the characters in game frequently have conversations that you walk up on, and without proper chat bubbles over their heads, I doubt the OP is even aware of the information being delivered.

Perhaps the rules are different for games vs financial or service user interfaces, but know in our industry companies have had to pay out hundreds of millions of dollars for failing to provide for proper accessibility.

Just one of many articles you can easily find via Google:

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424127887324373204578374483679498140

Show me the law where computer games have to be accessibly to every type of disability, diminished sight or the blind, the deaf, people with non functioning hands or fingers, amputees..    This is not an act of discrimination, you are doing a dis-service to people that are TRUELY being discriminated against and it makes me a bit nauseas.

• ianicusianicus Member UncommonPosts: 665
    so instead of taking 10 seconds with Google, the OP decides to bring his frustration to a completely unaffiliated commenting board to vent.....about something that can easily be remedied with an existing mod....THIS is whats wrong with gamers these days, disabled or otherwise...I have little sympathy for those who cannot help themselves when the solution is literally at their fingertips.
    "Well let me just quote the late-great Colonel Sanders, who said…’I’m too drunk to taste this chicken." - Ricky Bobby
  • PuffingtonPuffington Member Posts: 35

Next up, deaf man attacks Radio station for being discriminatory. 

/fox10