Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Very solid game.Trying to understand the negativity compared to a game like Final Fantasy

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • indefindef Member UncommonPosts: 344

but...but...but.......Angry Joe said if I play this game then I deserve to have my grandmother poop on my face!

Someone who is that eloquent with words must have an opinion that is more important than my own...right?

• amber-ramber-r Member Posts: 323
    Originally posted by ZizouX
    Originally posted by amber-r

FFXIV is garbage, compared to any other mmo it's rubbish.

However, it's pretty anime garbage and that makes a big difference.   FFXIV also got very little attention and didn't get that many players outside of its fanbase, there is almost no mention of it anywhere on youtube for instance.  Ultimately it got a pat on the head for spending vast amounts of money and trying again, not for being great.  Just for not being as bad as the first attempt, it also helps that the fanboys for ffxiv are a lot more pro-active.

Is FFXIV better than ESO?  No, they are bother pretty mediocre and I expect them both to be f2p around the 1 year from launch mark. 

On a similar note about a different game.  Guild wars 2 was touted by everyone as the most amazing mmo ever made, the scores were the best an mmo has ever achieved, the fanboys were amazed and fought anyone that said anything bad about their game.   6-7 months later, who cares about GW2 anymore?

Scores are meaningless, fanboys are fickle.  If you like the game, enjoy it because it's not going anywhere.

Also this topic will show why there is a lot of hate for ESO, FFXIV fanboys being protective of their failing title.  You don't see WoW players doing these things because they have nothing to fear, even the lead dev of FFXIV has been bracing his players for the coming of f2p.   The gameis bleeding players and they are protective.

lol.  I'm sorry but the facts seem to state otherwise.

2+  million copies sold of FFXIV.  So much of a success that it took SE from financial losses to financial profits.  As of last month, YoshiP (the director) said that FFXIV has 500k unique logins a day, and if you consider unique logins every 2 days, it's considerably more than that.

So a game, like FFXIV who has anywhere from 500-800k subscribers 8 months after release is a huge financial success.  BTW, FFXIV is about to release in China.   Some FFXIV servers are STILL closed to new players because they're overflowing with players.

FFXIV, just like FFXI will never go free to play.  Given how immensely successful FFXIV has been the last 8 months, it has established the P2P model with gigantic content patches every 3 months.  This game is stying P2P for years and years.

Let's see if ESO can have HALF the success of FFXIV in the same period of time.  But i'm sorry, I shouldnt' let facts get in the way of your opinion.

If I said ESO has 5 million registered players would you see that as valid information?  Because it has, that number is just as valid as the 2 million registered players XIV is trying to spout, you only believe it because you want to.

Nobody ever said "unique" logins either for that 500k figures, anyone that can login multiple times is counted multiple times.  As with almost every accolade FFXIV shows off about, they are vague and easily abused with false information, there has never been any official figure since the first month about anything of worth.

If FFXIV will never go free to play why does the lead developer hint otherwise and why does FFXIV now have a cash shop? 

Yoshida: If there's an impression that I'm determined to stick to a subscription service, that's a mistake.

Do you have a response to the example users you gave in the US who are interested in buying items?

Yoshida: We hope to offer some items for sale, but nothing that will affect game balance.

FFXIV is not a massively successful game, it did no better than any other mmo that went f2p.  It has lower player numbers than most other mmo titles obtain for 2 regions (NA/EU) and FFXIV barely matches any of them for 3 (NA/EU/JP).  The game is more a sign of good PR and how easy it is to fool some people with meaningless numbers than anything else, but then you already know that.

• Vunak23Vunak23 Member UncommonPosts: 633
    Originally posted by Mtibbs1989
    Originally posted by Vunak23
    Originally posted by Mtibbs1989
    Originally posted by Vunak23

I havn't played ESO to make a comparison but I have been playing FFXIV for 8 months.

Yet you certainly try. 

You don't need to bring another game down just to prop up your own game.   IT appears that  a majority of PLAYERS, as opposed to critics, disagree with you.  The average player rating for FFXIV is much higher than your player rating for ESO.  Using critics is a strawman argument when it is clear that majority of players seem to agree with the critics.

As for FFXIV, when it was released, it was POLISHED with very few bugs. Yea... no. FFXIV release was horrible. FFXIV: ARR =/= FFXIV release.  I keep reading about the bugs in ESO.  I keep reading about the phasing of quests where you can't even group up with friends unless you're on the EXACT same part of the quest.  I keep hearing that the quests arn't particularly well written or feel anticlimactic.  Lastly, it seems that ESO has an identity crisis going on.  It's a mediocre mmo and a mediocre Elder Scrolls game.   It tries to be both at the same time and fails miserably at it.

When FFXIV re-released, it offered 16 dungeons, an 8 man raid, and three primal fights with story mode and hard version.  It offers traditional quests and open world real time quests (FATES).  It offers a very "final fantasy" experience.  It knows what it is and waht it offers.  It doesn't have an identity crisis.

There is 0% chance that FFXIV will go free to play in the next few years based on its huge financial success.  Let's see if ESO can say the same.

Never say never.  

TLDR:  No need to show ESO love by trying to tear down another game (FFXIV).  Let's see if ESO can be half as successful as FFXIV before you start making baseless comparisons.

When did 8-mans become a raid.....? Ughhh... MMO's how you have fallen. 

Underlined red text is what I added... obviously. 

Don't underestimate FFXIV's raiding Twintania is one of the most perfectly tuned fights I've ever played. 

Turn 5 wasn't that great.... Absolute Virtue back in FFXI, now that was a fight. 

I suppose if you think a boss that was intended to never be beaten until they wanted you to beat it is a fair comparison; then sure. Otherwise Twintania is definitely a significant challenge for any top tier raiding guild.

Never be beaten... yeah it was intended to be beaten when they released him, just like Pandemonium Warden. Its just that nobody could figure out his mechanics, even with the developer video. We figured out an alternative way when summoners got Perfect Defense, but it was never meant to be defeated that way originally. 

"In the immediate future, we have this one, and then we’ve got another one that is actually going to be – so we’re going to have, what we want to do, is in January, what we’re targeting to do, this may or may not happen, so you can’t hold me to it. But what we’re targeting to do, is have a fun anniversary to the Ilum shenanigans that happened. An alien race might invade, and they might crash into Ilum and there might be some new activities that happen on the planet." ~Gabe Amatangelo

• ZizouXZizouX Member Posts: 670
    I will make sure to send you a pm when SE releases its quarterly financial report in May
  • CoffeeBreakCoffeeBreak Member Posts: 236

Well OP, aside from bugs one of the primary complaints about ESO is that it isn't Skyrim online.  

Sure there are some angry FFXI fans that are mad that FFXIV wasn't the same style, but Final Fantasy isn't like a normal series.  They aren't all sequels of each other(Yes, some have direct sequels).  They don't all have the same world, lore, or even combat style.  They can pretty much make anything that looks Final Fantasy-ish and throw the name Final Fantasy on it.

For ESO not being Skyrim....I can't even imagine what the ZOS devs think when they read all those little comments.  It's even weirder considering ESO started development in 2007 and Skyrim started development in 2008 and they were made by different teams.  There was no way ESO could have ever been Skyrim Online when Skyrim didn't even exist when they started ESO.  

Would be more appropriate to call it Oblivion Online, but Skyrim is what made ES more mainstream. Judging by how many of the complainers use Skyrim and Elder Scrolls synonymously, I really wonder how many Elder Scrolls "fans" actually played the series before Skyrim.

• steusssteuss Member UncommonPosts: 130

I havn't played ESO to make a comparison but I have been playing FFXIV for 8 months.

You don't need to bring another game down just to prop up your own game.   IT appears that  a majority of PLAYERS, as opposed to critics, disagree with you.  The average player rating for FFXIV is much higher than your player rating for ESO.  Using critics is a strawman argument when it is clear that majority of players seem to agree with the critics.

As for FFXIV, when it was released, it was POLISHED with very few bugs.  I keep reading about the bugs in ESO.  I keep reading about the phasing of quests where you can't even group up with friends unless you're on the EXACT same part of the quest.  I keep hearing that the quests arn't particularly well written or feel anticlimactic.  Lastly, it seems that ESO has an identity crisis going on.  It's a mediocre mmo and a mediocre Elder Scrolls game.   It tries to be both at the same time and fails miserably at it.

When FFXIV released, it offered 16 dungeons, an 8 man raid, and three primal fights with story mode and hard version.  It offers traditional quests and open world real time quests (FATES).  It offers a very "final fantasy" experience.  It knows what it is and waht it offers.  It doesn't have an identity crisis.

There is 0% chance that FFXIV will go free to play in the next few years based on its huge financial success.  Let's see if ESO can say the same.

TLDR:  No need to show ESO love by trying to tear down another game (FFXIV).  Let's see if ESO can be half as successful as FFXIV before you start making baseless comparisons.

You of course realize that when FFXIV first was releasted it had none of those things. I assume you're talking about ARR?

Major difference: Combat isn't just button mashing in ESO like it is in FFXIV. It doesn't matter what order you facepalm the keyboard in FFXIV: ARR, but it does in ESO.

• VorchVorch Member UncommonPosts: 793
    Originally posted by steuss

*snip*

You of course realize that when FFXIV first was releasted it had none of those things. I assume you're talking about ARR?

Major difference: Combat isn't just button mashing in ESO like it is in FFXIV. It doesn't matter what order you facepalm the keyboard in FFXIV: ARR, but it does in ESO.

That is an intentional and gross over simplification of the ARR combat system.

"As you read these words, a release is seven days or less away or has just happened within the last seven days— those are now the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria."...Guild Wars 2

Originally posted by Vorch
    Originally posted by steuss

*snip*

That is an intentional and gross over simplification of the ARR combat system.

Especially on a Monk or Dragoon once you unlock all the attacks in your combos.  Side attack, rear attack, side attack....stupid tank spinning the boss around making the side/rear specific attacks break the combos... 

• kalimar42kalimar42 Member Posts: 19

I played the beta of FF 14 on my ps 4, and I really liked it so I went out and pre-ordered it.  I tried the beta of ESO and hated it.

It all comes down to what you like as a player.  :) :)

• Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662

FFXIV delivered to it's fanbase the second time around, ESO won't get that chance. Also I beta'd and bought both. Unfortunately ESO:

is still sealed in the box.

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

• spizzspizz Member UncommonPosts: 1,971
    Originally posted by keithian

On metacritic, forum goers here and elsewhere, this game is getting a love it or hate it reception. Very little in between. I love the game and will continue playing it for at least a few months, maybe more depending on the future content releases and bug fixes. I'm having trouble understanding why a game like Final Fantasy which has much smaller zones even splitting cities into pieces, a less active old school combat system, no voiceovers with walls of text, less options with regard to the PVP/PVE experience this game offers, more grindy quests than this game has, much more grinding of Fates compared to Anchors just to get XP, an even more static world, worse crafting, lack of a Mod community like ESO has, etc etc etc got such high scores when in my mind ESO offers so much more. I mean I thought Final Fantasy was a solid game for an MMO, but I stopped playing because I have just done enough of the explanation point hub stuff with very little pure exploration which ESO does much better.

WHY I ASK YOU!!!! lol If ESO re-releases a 2nd time showing an improvement, do they all of a sudden get 10 scores just for showing improvement? lol The world of ratings makes no sense to me and every game seems to be held to a completely different standard. It's exactly why I think all reviews are worthless except my own opinion of the game when I play it.

Different game communities, it was always like this.

There were games like DAOC, Shadowbane, World of Warcraft and so on and games like Lineage 2, Final Fantasy, Risk your Life type games and many other Asian Grinder.

I would not even touch Final Fantasy since I burned my fingers and tested  dozens of Asian Games years ago and know that this type of game is not for everyone.

The mmo playerbase is actually quiete divided.

Go to onrpg.com for example the whole webpage and community there is dedicated to asian mmos....

Different people, different taste and different games.....but its good, that you actually can choose from so many types of games.

But this is the reason which influence public game ratings and aswell reviews.

• MargraveMargrave Member RarePosts: 1,362
    Originally posted by keithian

"all reviews are worthless except my own opinion of the game when I play it."

^^^^^^

This is pure truth! Love it!

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359

I don't dislike ESO, but there are SOOOO many things that really irritate me about it.

1.  Seems like 90% of mini-bosses are CONSTANTLY camped by bots/players and usually last about 3 seconds after they spawn before joining their other 8 corpses on the ground.

2.  Phasing makes it very difficult to group with anyone in open PvE unless they are at the near exact point in the game you're at.

3.  The idea that you can "explore the world" like a normal ES game doesn't work at all in ESO.  You will very quickly wonder into MOBs may beyond your level and realize that you are relegated to progressing through the world in a fairly linear fashion.

4.  The world design is very formula.  Every torch dungeon has a mini-boss and a skyshard.  Structural designs feel like they are heavily re-used...most houses and torch dungeons seem the same.  And even the quests feel repetitive...how many times have I had to wear a disguise a then walk through a bunch of oblivious baddies to fight a boss?  It seems like I do the same thing over and over and over...

5.  Certain actions in combat like weapon swapping, or the uppercut ability are really finicky.  Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't.  It makes combat feel unresponsive.

6.  Repair costs are EXORBITANT.  I don't think I've ever repaired my armor.  it is MUCH cheaper to just get new armor from drops/crafting.  Literally 1000 gold to repair my armor, when I can only sell a piece of armor for 30g lol! 

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

• DataDayDataDay Member UncommonPosts: 1,538

Did the OP just imply the game is Solid? ESO is a disaster in game design. FF on it second time around brought in the right people to fix the issue and they actually took time to stop and play the other successful games on the market in order to indentify why they are fun and work well.

Not even sure why they included grouping with ESO, as for most of the game it has NO purpose.

• SavageoneSavageone Member UncommonPosts: 80

People are going to complain, hate, bash and scream about something in an online game. Some want everything handed to them, some want sex and nudity at every turn.

No one just enjoys the game for what it is.......a game!

It's not Skyrim, I knew that the first time I heard about ESO. And to think it is, is just plain silly.

Besides a few hiccups, I haven't had any reason to bad mouth ESO. All my issues have been resolved through Customer Service, which by the way is fantastic.

Originally posted by Rabenwolf

Did the OP just imply the game is Solid? ESO is a disaster in game design. FF on it second time around brought in the right people to fix the issue and they actually took time to stop and play the other successful games on the market in order to indentify why they are fun and work well.

Not even sure why they included grouping with ESO, as for most of the game it has NO purpose.

They identified other successful games to make it better?  They grabbed rifts/public quests and made Fates.  All characters can be any class, but assuming you do the quests the first time you'll have to Fate/dungeon grind for other classes.  So for many players it was actually more fun just to make an alt if they want a different class.  They made linear hub based questing.  The dungeons are standard: clear trash, boss, clear trash, boss.

Oh and they released with server instability that gated many players at level 20.  Then they didn't have an idle timer so many players would never log out and other players couldn't get in because there was no queue only the message "World is full.  Try again later".

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    Originally posted by Savageone

It's not Skyrim, I knew that the first time I heard about ESO. And to think it is, is just plain silly.

It's also not Morrowind or Oblivion.  Morrowind, Oblivion and Skyrim had more in common with each other than ESO has with any of them.  To say it's not Skyrim is also to say it's not an Elder Scrolls game.  Just think if you could actually say, "Yes, it is indeed like Skyrim, or Morrowind, or Oblivion!".    The fact that one can't is the problem here.   The only people to blame for that is ZOS, yet so many people here are taking it personally.

If they couldn't make ESO like a previous Elder Scrolls game, then they should have waited to figure how to or not even have bothered.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• Kayo45Kayo45 Member Posts: 293

Well for one thing FFXIV worked when it was released. ARR did at least. Its combat may have been standard MMO combat and it may not have read all the quest text for you, but it worked. Check out Angry Joe's recent review of ESO ... he pretty much points out the many many things wrong with ESO, specially as an MMO. Say what you will about his videos, he touched on most good points. Zenimax screwed up ... big time.

If you ask me they need to do as FFXIV did and just leave it F2P for a year or so while they fix the game. Not that ESO needs a complete redesign from the ground up but it does need to fix what is has and change how quite a few things work.

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072
    Originally posted by Purutzil

Where it falls flat on its face is its immersion. The game just lacks that immersive feel people expect from an TES game, due to it being an MMo. That feeling of exploration is just gone with dozens of people being around you. The 'boss farming' only destroys the feeling of epicness you SHOULD be feeling in a game that is suppose to be about adventure. Its attempting to be a Singleplayer game in an MMo and that greatly hurts its immersion. Combined with the number of bugs, it makes the experience of the game worst off. It doesnt allow it to hide its flaws at all when your constantly reminded 'oh this is a cheap TES game with swarms of people'. Voice acting telling you how dire the situation is with the city being attacked doesn't create a tense atmosphere when that attack is pathetic at best and doesn't have any atmosphere at all to back it up.

This is actually where the game shines for me, ESO manages to be the only mmo for a while where I find my self immersed in, I dont know how good as an mmo the game is but it's one of the best games when we leave out the labels that I have played in a while.

I dont care about the group mechanics since my dungeon farming days are long behind, I like immersion, exploration, and small time coop these days a lot more, and that is what this game can give you plenty of. Well, unless you are trying to do quests in different phases or conditions that I dont even know of and it's just impossible when the game wont allow you.

I feel very bad for the game getting so much flak since I find it absolutely wonderful experience on my own, but if I tried to play this game 24/7 grouped I guess the complaints are acceptable since the phasing DOES ruin grouping for basic questing under certain conditions.

But damn it if this game is being accused for not being immersive or having bad graphics you must be insane. I'm playing the game on high settings and it's one of the best looking games I've ever played, I usually dont hold graphics very high on what's important in a game but this time the details of the world makes me want to explore every corner of the world, and that's a first for an mmo to do that for me, but I guess it also has some graphical bugs to make it look crap on some machines then (or perhaps lower settings makes the game look mediocre).

Personally this game would have been better off as a singleplayer/coop game, with multiplayer pvp and dungeons, and also Diablo 3 style general chat. So in essence the exact same game, but there would not be other people running in my quests and there would not be need for phasing since it would always be your "save" of the game. I really like this game, it's just having hard time since it's forced into an mmo body, and kids like to try and tear it apart for that even if it's really good for what it is.

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072
    Originally posted by Creslin321

5.  Certain actions in combat like weapon swapping, or the uppercut ability are really finicky.  Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't.  It makes combat feel unresponsive.

I was a bit annoyed at this first but then I noticed a couple of things, first I had an ability toggled on (ultimate) that I did not have on my second set so I could not swap until I toggled that ability off, and uppercut does not trigger the effect on already controlled mobs, it does the damage but not the knocback if it's already stunned or just about to leave the stun. Not sure if those are intentional or not, but since realizing those points I've not had any trouble afterwards with either actions.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Well i  feel the Angry Joe video review is totally spot on and a very good reason why you might hear criticism.I feel Angry Joe albeit i don't know if he is faking it a bit,reviews a game exactly like i do.I look for all the little things like immersion and how quests and just everything in the game is presented.

The graphics truly are dumbed down badly and it is a fact that animations seem like they are using models and animations from their very old single player games.

I can't go into every word of detail like Angry Joe does,but as i said he is pretty mush spot on,everything he points out is fact and proves it inside the game.Basically the bottom line is TESO like every other game coming out is/was rushed,systems and just everything in game seems like no love or heart felt passion was put into it.Game design is/was and will remain nothing but a business.

It is pretty much like watching the price of gas go up every month,you know it is never going to change.Cost of game design is so expensive and developers want to strike it rich,so they are never going to run a budget that takes years to recover the way FFXI did back in the day.Developers and their investors want instant returns,they want to turn a profit instantly,there is no way  to do that unless your game is done cheap,tons of corner cutting.

If you actually watch and pay attention,Angry Joe is not a TESO basher,he just wants that passion in the game design and even says the game is not really bad,it is just not really good either.Everything he talks about is how i feel inside of games,so i share his every thought process,it is not like this is one guy just faking it 100% to market himself on you tube.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

BTW i am a huge FF LORE fan but trust me and i was one of them,FFXIV took tons of heat for releasing a very rushed product.

The difference is that Square unlike any other developer ever in the history of gaming,stopped it's subs.NO CASH SHOPS and set forth to spend millions to improve the game to at least accepted standards.

I will say this,the damage is already done,FFXIV systems and design is there to stay and even all the polish to it will not change the core design to which i am not that happy about.Even still what one game does or does not do,has no bearing on how i feel about each individual game,i want a great product 100% all the time.I NEVER say to myself,ok your doing this better so i'll hand my money over,no i don't want better than Wow or better than Rift,i want GREAT on your own accord not based on someone else's weak efforts.

That kind of analogy is like a parent telling their child it is ok to get a C on your report card because all your friends are getting F's.I want a triple A game design all the time.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• nbtscannbtscan Member UncommonPosts: 862
    Not sure why you're comparing the two games, they each attract a different audience.  I could never get into an Elder Scrolls game but I've been playing FF games for nearly 20 years.  The opposite will exist where people don't like JRPGs but prefer Western RPGs.
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919

As Wizardry said when FFXIV released it took a lot of stick - a quick look on Metacritic brought up a review score of 49. There was a lot more negativity for FFXIV. 

FFXIV A Realm Reborn - the fixed version has Metacritic ratings of 83 for the PC version (79 and 86 on console). This is for the "fixed" version, the one that should have been released perhaps. Better than TESO yes - but you would hope so after all the extra work. But not that much better than TESOs 77 though.

And the current average of 77 reflects a solid game. A game with mixed but generally favourable reviews. No its not in the 90s but in its current state that is hardly a surprise.

Now the reason some games get scores that seem totally unjustified at launch is that publishers may provide a carefully scrubbed version of the game. One with super high graphics say - that gets reviewed but doesn't launch. 

Zenimax weren't in a position to do this though - the game launch to early. All the signs were there: the late lifting of the NDA; reviewers initially allowed to write only about the first 15 levels; high level zones closed off until late in the day - zones that most people would never have the characters to see. What if they had been though. If they had released a little later and before they did reviewers got to play the game pretty much alone - so no server stability issues, no bots, no billing issues and no bugs resulting from phasing issues. TESO would have got a better review score.

Would have been the same game at launch but it would have scored better. And that is what some games do. If you like TESO probably has a "more honest" score than some other games.