Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Angry Joe Show 5/10

Comments

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529
    Originally posted by DrunkWolf
    I like how Joe tells it like it is, he doesnt sugar coat anything. he is like the fanboys worst nightmare. he doesnt sell hopes and dreams, if somthing is broken or stupid he says it. he doesnt make excuses for it.

This is why I look for AJ (or Totalbiscuit) opinion before I buy a game. I don't always agree with AJ's opinion but I can see the logic and understand them since he gives me the raw stuff and I can form my own opinion around it.

Disclosure: I am skipping ESO (had it preordered but canceled after the imperial stuff) till F2P

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• LookwhostalkingLookwhostalking Member Posts: 63
    Almost 500k views...Good Job!
  • RaellnRaelln Member Posts: 67
    Originally posted by Rusque

Right, you said having a lot of followers means he's respected. That's a false equivalency which is why I brought up the WoW false equivalency. Having a lot of followers means he's entertaining. Whether or not those people value his reviews and make decisions based on them because they respect him and his review is another matter.

I remember Joe's reaction to the Xbone, it was over the top, but it was humorous. Sometimes he's funny, most of the time he's douchey because he lacks finesse and knowing when to stop telling the joke. He let things drag on because he wants to prove a point, so his delivery is a bit one-note and simplistic. See that Zero Sum review for someone who deliver a much more scathing overview of the ESO and MMO genre as a whole, but does it in 5 minutes vs Joe's 40 (this might be because Joe spent 8 minutes talking about bugs).

You just did the exact same thing by insinuating that people only follow him because he's entertaining. You have no way to prove that - anymore than I can prove that 1.5 million followers respect him.

At best, there are obviously multiple reasons why people follow him.

• mayankingmayanking Member UncommonPosts: 162
    after watching it i'm going to wait till its f2p only pvp looks decent/.
  • dumbo11dumbo11 Member Posts: 134

I've watched a few of Angry Joe's videos, and I can't say I really disagree with him, although I'd have given it a 7-8/10.

- the horse comments are complete nonsense.  You don't actually need a horse in PvP (get the assault buff), the 42k horse isn't really much better than the 17k horse, and 17k is not a lot of money in the end-game (my last inventory upgrade was ~12k - and I'm only V1)

- personally I do consider the game fun, and don't consider many of the quests yawn inducing.

Having said that:

- the boss camping has been a huge mistake by zenimax.  It was obvious this was going to happen, and obvious that it was happening.

- ditto the various dupe bugs.

- "semi-private instances" are a mixed bag.  People that want to group, struggle.  People that don't want to group find an awkward system that doesn't quite work.  (the game does not have any concept of scaling whatsoever.... you vs boss = hard, you+him vs boss = lol, you+6 vs boss = /yawn).

- the amount of XP is "too tight".  Personally, I haven't struggled, but it feels like they missed the mark with this.

There are also 2 things are generally stupid:

- it is better to find a dungeon filled with bookshelves than a dungeon filled with chests.  (chests = green junk, bookshelves = chance of skillup for enchanting).

- the most traded commodity in the game (motifs) are found by randomly searching NPC houses.  (every house you go into, in every zone, will have all the drawers/cupboards/trunks lying opened).

I'd say that the problems ESO has, are problems that would be far easier to solve if the game hadn't been released.

• AsariashaAsariasha Member UncommonPosts: 252
    Originally posted by jpnz
    I like how Joe tells it like it is, he doesnt sugar coat anything. he is like the fanboys worst nightmare. he doesnt sell hopes and dreams, if somthing is broken or stupid he says it. he doesnt make excuses for it.

This is why I look for AJ (or Totalbiscuit) opinion before I buy a game. I don't always agree with AJ's opinion but I can see the logic and understand them since he gives me the raw stuff and I can form my own opinion around it.

Disclosure: I am skipping ESO (had it preordered but canceled after the imperial stuff) till F2P

Did you know that an independent opinion usually is formed by your very own experiences about something?

Taking Angry Joes review and using it to form your own opinion actually means only one thing. Your thought own opinion is nothing but a modification of Angry Joes opinion.

Internet services such as YouTube provide us with a lot of freedom. Unfortunately, it also provides a platform for people who like to show themselves and spread their opinion in an influential yet entertaining manner lacking the very basics of professional journalism.

In my opinion his YouTube contributions are like articles in the New York Post or other yellow press formats. They are big, they are loud, they are attention whoring and their sole purpose aims towards increasing ad impressions.

Congrats!

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359
    Originally posted by Asariasha
    Originally posted by jpnz

Did you know that an independent opinion usually is formed by your very own experiences about something?

Taking Angry Joes review and using it to form your own opinion actually means only one thing. Your thought own opinion is nothing but a modification of Angry Joes opinion.

Internet services such as YouTube provide us with a lot of freedom. Unfortunately, it also provides a platform for people who like to show themselves and spread their opinion in an influential yet entertaining manner lacking the very basics of professional journalism.

In my opinion his YouTube contributions are like articles in the New York Post or other yellow press formats. They are big, they are loud, they are attention whoring and their sole purpose aims towards increasing ad impressions.

Congrats!

So many posts like these stating that AJ's review is just "attention whoring" to get ad revenue.  I have to ask...did you even watch the review?

His review actually points out SEVERAL things that are wrong with the game at both a design and polish level, with video evidence.  It's not like his opinion is unfounded.  You may disagree with this final score, but calling his review just "attention whoring" is kind of ridiculous.

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

• JoeyMMOJoeyMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
    Originally posted by laserit

The guys an entertainer.  He showboats, he's good for a couple laugh's, power to him

I have to wonder how much of his review are of his own experience and thoughts and how much is from reading forums like this and just going with the flow.

Personally:  I cant take him as a serious game reviewer.

It doesn't matter that he's an entertainer, he played the game and found some serious flaws in it, not meeting the MMO standards he set for himself. He shows the game footage, the bugs the mechanics that fail, that's not from other people's opinions read on a forum somewhere. Just look at what he shows, his rating is his own.

He doesn't need to be a "serious game reviewer" to have a point, several points actually.

imageimage
  • ButeoRegalisButeoRegalis Member UncommonPosts: 594
    Originally posted by Coman
    (..)

Because a professional reviewer should  review the released product and not the beta product.

^

• RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785
    Originally posted by Creslin321

So many posts like these stating that AJ's review is just "attention whoring" to get ad revenue.  I have to ask...did you even watch the review?

His review actually points out SEVERAL things that are wrong with the game at both a design and polish level, with video evidence.  It's not like his opinion is unfounded.  You may disagree with this final score, but calling his review just "attention whoring" is kind of ridiculous.

His video evidence is cherry picked to back his points.

To showcase how boring the questing is, he shows a quest where you interact with something and acts appalled that there wasn't a big ado about it and another where a ship is set on fire and he and his gf spend a minute just saying, "oh . . . wow. . . so impressive."

That's like recording footage of mining an asteroid for 15 minutes in EVE and then just sitting there talking about how incredibly boring it is.

It's one thing to highlight what's wrong with a game, it's another to present something as unique to this game when it exists in 100% of other games. You can easily go pick up any game, find boring stuff and film it.

Name your favorite MMO, are you saying that you can't just find fairly mundane quests there or is everything constantly amazing and interesting? That's the problem Joe has, he's disingenuous in order to support his points. He gives 10/10 to GW2 but does he show the quest where you feed cows? "oooh look, I just fed this cow, how exciting." There's a ton of quests in GW2 which involve you planting something in the ground or picking something up and all that happens is your orange bar fills up.

WoW is littered with quests in which you pick up sparkly things on the ground, sometimes it's poop, sometimes it's "fallen soldiers sword", etc.

No one looks at Skyrim and records the quests that have you walk from one npc in town to another npc in town and then make comments about how drab the questing is. But for ESO, apparently it's being honest.

• NasherUKNasherUK Member UncommonPosts: 480

Angry Joe reviews are usually more trustworthy. He also plays the games extensively unlike most of the big reviewers. With ESO his review is pretty accurate tbh.

ESO is a below average MMO, that much is pretty clear for anyone who has played other MMOs. Skyrim or Oblivion with a multiplayer mod would be a far superior game.

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359

To showcase how boring the questing is, he shows a quest where you interact with something and acts appalled that there wasn't a big ado about it and another where a ship is set on fire and he and his gf spend a minute just saying, "oh . . . wow. . . so impressive."

That's like recording footage of mining an asteroid for 15 minutes in EVE and then just sitting there talking about how incredibly boring it is.

It's one thing to highlight what's wrong with a game, it's another to present something as unique to this game when it exists in 100% of other games. You can easily go pick up any game, find boring stuff and film it.

Name your favorite MMO, are you saying that you can't just find fairly mundane quests there or is everything constantly amazing and interesting? That's the problem Joe has, he's disingenuous in order to support his points. He gives 10/10 to GW2 but does he show the quest where you feed cows? "oooh look, I just fed this cow, how exciting." There's a ton of quests in GW2 which involve you planting something in the ground or picking something up and all that happens is your orange bar fills up.

WoW is littered with quests in which you pick up sparkly things on the ground, sometimes it's poop, sometimes it's "fallen soldiers sword", etc.

No one looks at Skyrim and records the quests that have you walk from one npc in town to another npc in town and then make comments about how drab the questing is. But for ESO, apparently it's being honest.

I get what you're saying.  Of course every game has boring, broken, or badly designed stuff in it somewhere.  The key is...does this bad stuff make up a large enough amount of the game experience to make the game worse.

And honestly, with ESO I think the answer is definitely, yes it does.  And all Joe's video evidence does is point out specific instances of these problems that are WAY bigger than what one video can show.  For example...

I don't think I've encountered any boss in a public dungeon that was not camped by bots and players. 

The poorly designed phasing that stops grouping in open world PvE is EVERYWHERE.

There are SOOO many broken quests, many of which stop progression through a major questline.  Like the stupid "find the assassins on the ship" quest in Daggerfall.  I spent like 30 min looking for them in both release and beta and never found them.  In fact, another YouTube gamer, Force, who actually really likes this game can't progress past VR6 because a bug literally halts his progression cold.

etc. etc. 

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

• BigdaddyxBigdaddyx Member UncommonPosts: 2,039

I get what you're saying.  Of course every game has boring, broken, or badly designed stuff in it somewhere.  The key is...does this bad stuff make up a large enough amount of the game experience to make the game worse.

And honestly, with ESO I think the answer is definitely, yes it does.  And all Joe's video evidence does is point out specific instances of these problems that are WAY bigger than what one video can show.  For example...

I don't think I've encountered any boss in a public dungeon that was not camped by bots and players. 

The poorly designed phasing that stops grouping in open world PvE is EVERYWHERE.

There are SOOO many broken quests, many of which stop progression through a major questline.  Like the stupid "find the assassins on the ship" quest in Daggerfall.  I spent like 30 min looking for them in both release and beta and never found them.  In fact, another YouTube gamer, Force, who actually really likes this game can't progress past VR6 because a bug literally halts his progression cold.

etc. etc. 

+1

Hard to cherry pick issues like broken quests which are frequent or the boss camping which is a sad fact for every single dungeon.

I guess people are now running out of proper reasoning to refute his review..hence the old and stale 'cherry picking' excuse.

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    Originally posted by JoeyMMO

The guys an entertainer.  He showboats, he's good for a couple laugh's, power to him

I have to wonder how much of his review are of his own experience and thoughts and how much is from reading forums like this and just going with the flow.

It doesn't matter that he's an entertainer, he played the game and found some serious flaws in it, not meeting the MMO standards he set for himself. He shows the game footage, the bugs the mechanics that fail, that's not from other people's opinions read on a forum somewhere. Just look at what he shows, his rating is his own.

He doesn't need to be a "serious game reviewer" to have a point, several points actually.

I stand by my comment

His review is a photo copy of all the forum critics surrounding the game.  What happened to the good ole days where you had to wait at least a month before you would get a serious MMORPG review? What's the percentage of the game he experienced? How many hours he put in? How many quests he complete? how far did he play each faction? each class?

Might as well watch the first 15 minutes of a movie and give a full scored review. Yes it might be obvious the movie sucks after the first 15 minute's but if you don't watch the whole thing you really aren't doing your job and you cheapen your review. 

Again I'm not criticizing his opinion but it's just that  "opinion" 

The final score he gave is irrelevant and meaningless as a professional review.

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731
    Originally posted by JoeyMMO

I stand by my comment

His review is a photo copy of all the forum critics surrounding the game.  What happened to the good ole days where you had to wait at least a month before you would get a serious MMORPG review? What's the percentage of the game he experienced? How many hours he put in? How many quests he complete? how far did he play each faction? each class?

Might as well watch the first 15 minutes of a movie and give a full scored review. Yes it might be obvious the movie sucks after the first 15 minute's but if you don't watch the whole thing you really aren't doing your job and you cheapen your review. 

Again I'm not criticizing his opinion but it's just that  "opinion" 

The final score he gave is irrelevant and meaningless as a professional review.

Considering he had beta access and was playing back then? Lets estimate 3-4 hours a day... 60-80 hours per total, how much more do you need to tell if a MMO is worth it currently?

Also think maybe it is a copy because the issues are the same as those reported.

Have fun in your game but do not write on the walls with whatever you're left that "Dis gaem is awesum! Yu suc!" if we all point out how the game is deficient because you harm the game more than we do.

• TbauTbau Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 401
    Originally posted by Dihoru

Considering he had beta access and was playing back then? Lets estimate 3-4 hours a day... 60-80 hours per total, how much more do you need to tell if a MMO is worth it currently?

Also think maybe it is a copy because the issues are the same as those reported.

Have fun in your game but do not write on the walls with whatever you're left that "Dis gaem is awesum! Yu suc!" if we all point out how the game is deficient because you harm the game more than we do.

He had limited beta access. His first review was limited to the first 15 hours and was part of the media test which was just a few days access. His second review was of the PvP beta WEEKEND so again was limited.

That is why Zenimax did what they did. They limited everyone's access to limit the possible damage.

• RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785

etc. etc. 

See, that's much better example than what Joe gave. I'm not one to say ESO doesn't have problems, I even made a thread about being stuck on the main quest (which I was for 8 days). So I'm not trying to sugar coat or blindly defend, but it does bother me when people look to blatant misinformation and hold it up as why they think ESO is bad. Why do that when there are legitimate issues?

• loulakiloulaki Member UncommonPosts: 944

didnt this guy made a mediocre review about its beta and then he got access to the closed beta and he said that its PvP looks promising and now he bashes the whole game ?

i dont think he didnt played the game, you can go at his twitch channel and view there also his videos about ESO, not only his youtube reviews .. ^^

• ValentinelessValentineless Member Posts: 51

watched the whole review,l everything joe says seems so true with the reliable video sources as evidence, but it seems the eso community here says it is not true, and i am saying that with the amount of comments on this topic

i have not played the game and no intention too but joe is one funny guy, gives guildwars 2 a high review, and watched that. i played the game since launch for 6-9 months and i hated every mechanic got old so fast the first couple days you mastered everything already everything so simple and boring. got my legendary weapon then quit.

as for joe, people should not get that moved and emotionally afflicted by peoples review, some of them go viral due to the person doing it. just ignore and enjoy your game

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

This just in - one youtube reviewer doesn't like something other people like.  Life expected to continue as usual.

Now for your weather...

• ButeoRegalisButeoRegalis Member UncommonPosts: 594
    Originally posted by loulaki

didnt this guy made a mediocre review about its beta and then he got access to the closed beta and he said that its PvP looks promising and now he bashes the whole game ?

He didn't bash the whole game, he did like for the most part the PvP parts and the way Zenimax mixed PvE into the PvP zone.

... and to all you guys quoting whole posts and all their quotes, when replying to the last line in that whole mess: please go and figure out how to trim your quoting down! Seriously!!

• MalaboogaMalabooga Member UncommonPosts: 2,977

Fully spot on with VIDEO DOCUMENTATION about what he talks about.

Its better than 99.9999999% of reviews out there, certainly eons better that same random forum reviews.

And just for the kicks, for those who claim hes just some consloe douche and should stick to whatever he should stick to:

aint those exactly same console gamers supposed to valiantly save ESO when it releases on consoles?

Guess that theory goes down the drain now

ha ha

• Vexus_XVexus_X Member UncommonPosts: 57

If you play GW2 and then ESO you will think the release dates are reversed.

ESO is poorly executed. Period. The negatives hurt when we have been spoiled with high quality, smooth running, relatively bug free games. Yes, we need to keep pressuring devs. Anything Zenimax is shit for the next 10 years, and as such new studios will likely take more care in their releases.

Also, points NO ONE CAN DENY:

1. The MONEY GRAB is obvious and Angry Joe makes it blaringly so

2. Quests that SPLIT YOU FROM YOUR GROUP is like MMO v0.5 - no MMO was this bad at splitting groups

3. Loot seems pretty shit and aimed at a F2P endgame AND/OR huge grinding - 1 GOLD PER MOB lol... (probably just low zones but still)

• MalaboogaMalabooga Member UncommonPosts: 2,977
    Originally posted by Vexus_X

If you play GW2 and then ESO you will think the release dates are reversed.

ESO is poorly executed. Period. The negatives hurt when we have been spoiled with high quality, smooth running, relatively bug free games. Yes, we need to keep pressuring devs. Anything Zenimax is shit for the next 10 years, and as such new studios will likely take more care in their releases.

To add salt to the wound, they ask BOX+CASH SHOP+SUB for it.

• fantomacefantomace Member Posts: 12
    666k views!!!
This discussion has been closed.