Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I am officially finished with the theme-park rides.

NagilumSadowNagilumSadow Member UncommonPosts: 318

After another quest-grindy themepark (Elder Scrolls Online) it has been decided I am finished with MMORrpgs in generally until 'Everquest Next' launches. Like Everquest Next will be, It is my opinion that ESO should have been 100% skill based, giving one more freedom and options. That of course didn't and will not happen.

Until then I'll play Planetside 2, another SOE franchise (wake-up developers).  In short I am finished with the themepark rides. If you enjoy the themeparks, more power to you -- I hope your mileage differs.

Comments

• Jaychi72Jaychi72 Member UncommonPosts: 70

ummm..... ok..?    

/wave

bye...

• OnigodOnigod Member UncommonPosts: 756

This should be a game discussion forum,  games are supposed to be fun and for a change we should actually create forums about the things we like..

Instead on mmorpg.com all you see is players stating their personal opinion 100000s of others have shared before on the same subject..  None will care about topic starters message also.. the only thing this topic caters to is other people to type their frustration about (insert anything)

I do not understand you people.. you do not care about a internet strangers opinion but why do you feel the need to share yours knowing everyone will think the same about your opinion as you do to others.

• NagilumSadowNagilumSadow Member UncommonPosts: 318
    Originally posted by Onigod

This should be a game discussion forum,  games are supposed to be fun and for a change we should actually create forums about the things we like..

Instead on mmorpg.com all you see is players stating their personal opinion 100000s of others have shared before on the same subject..  None will care about topic starters message also.. the only thing this topic caters to is other people to type their frustration about (insert anything)

I do not understand you people.. you do not care about a internet strangers opinion but why do you feel the need to share yours knowing everyone will think the same about your opinion as you do to others.

This isn't the opinion of 100000 generic opinions, this is my opinion. I am not frustrated, which is why I took action -- had I not taken action I, would have been frustrated.

Then use this thread to talk about something else.

• DEAD.lineDEAD.line Member Posts: 424

Thing is, many don't have an mmo they like because the selection is either extremely limited or non existant.

To the part in red: 

• Gamer54321Gamer54321 Member UncommonPosts: 452

I will admit that I have an acute aversion towards some games, yet I am unsure as to why this is, as if there was some general rule to it.

Probably resulting from a bad initial impression, because once I have a clear idea of why something doesn't appear to be good, that sentiment sort of stick then further on.

I did play Age of conan for just a little time, even though I was fairly certain that I did not like games like WoW for example. I guess there was this hype about the combat system and new'ness to it :) and the character editor  looked interesting to me at the time.

With Lord of the rings online I sort of had this thought that it would be more classy, or special somehow, but I guess was disappointed when it ended up being a hack and slash game.

I remember trying to play Diablo II again, but quit early on, as nothing seemed new to me, and the feeling of grind as I collected stuff got to me quickly.

Looking at SWTOR, there mere look of the simplistic spaceship/asset design was a big turn off aesthetically, and learning that they used personal shield emitters was perhaps what decidedly made me not want to try play it. The, on rails spaceship combat just affirmed my disgust, to use such a word. :)

I liked Battlefield 3. It was a new type of game to me and it looked sort of realistic. Some 500+ hours later I think  I can say that it was fun, but the chaotic death match thing was just too annoying.

I tired out Planetside 2 for an hour, but I couldn't help but having this impression that it was just another FPS game with not so good sci fi elements to it. Since I had stopped playing Battlefield 3, I didn't feel like continuing.

Battlefield 4 beta looked nice, but I disliked the chaos, where rpg's, tanks, snipers were all over the place, all the time. I also thought the price for the released game was too much.

Having played DayZ and Arma 2 Wasteland mission (ca 50-70 players), I finally could say that such a game was more to my taste, where a beautiful environment was merged with plausible tactica and the pacing felt really good. Wasteland includes base building which in itself brings alot of joy, even if not doing serious gameplay.

I never bothered with Star Trek online. I got the impression that I had to keep upgrading my ship selection to progress, which seemed silly, since all i wanted was to fly a 'Constitution' class Federation ship. :) I also strongly disliked the personal shield emitters in that game. Hm, nothing about that game really appealed to me, beside the things relying on the IP itself.

• madazzmadazz Member RarePosts: 2,107
    Originally posted by NagilumSadow

After another quest-grindy themepark (Elder Scrolls Online) it has been decided I am finished with MMORrpgs in generally until 'Everquest Next' launches. Like Everquest Next will be, It is my opinion that ESO should have been 100% skill based, giving one more freedom and options. That of course didn't and will not happen.

Until then I'll play Planetside 2, another SOE franchise (wake-up developers).  In short I am finished with the themepark rides. If you enjoy the themeparks, more power to you -- I hope your mileage differs.

Yep! Everquest Next will solve all your problems!!! Just like TSW did... wait... Just like ESO did! wait... just like Rift did!!! Wait... just like Guildwars 2 did!!! Wait..... Just like Swtor did!!!! Wait....

Are you learning yet? Or will you just keep riding the hype train and assume the next game will solve it all? LOL

• Soki123Soki123 Member RarePosts: 2,558
    This is the very reason I play older themepark games. EQ2, FFXI, WoW, and sorta FFXIV, although not as old, because they re IMO just better. TESO, was the one that actually, finally made me realize the new ones just suck. So, until I get a trial, or beta a game first (thank god I tried TESO in beta, and didn t impulse buy without knowing it sucked), I won t buy any.
  • Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,065

Who the hell are you to say what topics should be about? Censor much?

Why are the majority of topics negative here? Because it is an MMORPG website and the genre has outright SUCKED lately. What is there to be positive about? What is there to enjoy? If you enjoy the current state of this genre you are in the minority.

So you can:

a) Stop opening these threads.

b) Stay off the forum altogether.

c) Go spend more time enjoying your games and less about what others say.

Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Originally posted by Viper482

Why are the majority of topics negative here? Because it is an MMORPG website and the genre has outright SUCKED lately. What is there to be positive about? What is there to enjoy? If you enjoy the current state of this genre you are in the minority.

Just because you found a place where lots of people hate the same things you do doesn't make you a majority. A huge growth every year in a genre doesn't happen when a majority don't like it.

The majority are playing the games not sitting around on forums. That's why forums are like this.

• Dimsum1337Dimsum1337 Member UncommonPosts: 60
    kk cya, can i have your lewt =)
  • Dimsum1337Dimsum1337 Member UncommonPosts: 60
    So I heard of this game called Pokemon. Apparently its really good! You should try it. 
  • RaquisRaquis Member RarePosts: 1,029

also bored with theme parks but ill play what is ok out there,the developers are changing games.

shroud of the avatar is not theme park,shards online,and moe coming in the next view years.

• KroggKrogg Member Posts: 480
    Like officially official?  There will be no going back and revisiting?  Just how official is this announcement?  Because if it's seriously official, that's a big deal, but if it's less than official, say sem-official or even mildly official then the bigwigs at these game companies can go home and get some sleep tonight knowing they still have a chance with you, but since you even put 'official' in the title, I'm assuming you really mean it.  You aren't playing.  Once you walk out that door there'll be no coming back, no second chances.  This is big news. 
  • TybostTybost Member UncommonPosts: 629

World of Darkness was my candle light in the dark world and yet five years have past and that light has vanished. I put my hopes and dreams into an MMORPG called Warhammer Online in the year 2008 and was largely disappointed to receive a very copy and pasted experience. Since then I have pretty much stopped playing MMORPGs yet always look towards the future, and everytime a new MMORPG arises, I always end up feeling a little more disappointment.

Everyone has an MMORPG that they can call home, and I tend to return to that home after setting out on new adventures. Only to realize my true MMORPG home was always (Insert Game Here). I want a new experience but they have all been copied and pasted. Warhammer Online, Age of Conan, Allods, Rift, Neverwinter, SWTOR, (Insert More Copied & Pasted Experiences Here). All games are trying to become World of Warcraft and following the same pathway.

None of them want to take a step out of the safe zone and just sticks to what works on paper in the past, using the same old mechanics and formulas that are overused. Here is the sad truth which iv gathered over time since my biggest disappointment six years ago (Warhammer Online) and this also includes recent MMORPG's like Black Desert and yes even the new Archeage which I have logged many hours on the Russian version. (To add it was originally my second light in the darkness)

Hence the point I'm at and here is my opinion of the truth which is since the year 2004 we have not had all to many new experiences in our mmorpgs, they all feel the same as the last mmorpg that you logged into. It has come down to a point that we all must face reality that nobody has anything new to bring to the table, and developers or rather business men/woman who are all about money, and follow what works on paper which is World of Warcraft the biggest cash cow ever made. It will in the end taste like chicken.

It All Tastes Like Chicken. (For Now) /Q Explosions

I'm always holding out hope for the next new experience, It is not Archeage and not most certainly not ESO, and another that follows the same paper and the same pathway as the others being Wildstar. ehem* It has been 10-years and I'm not getting any younger, am I the only one who feels this way? This is just my opinion that has formed over the years and I believe it is a very common opinion that is shared similarly amongst many others, varying differences of course.

• ShephardShephard Member Posts: 69
    Don't worry sandbox MMOs will just just as disappointing. 

I needed a place to set down my thoughts and feelings towards MMORPG's both theme park and sandboxes in general, to whcih I apologize for as I thought it would be an appropriate place to set down words that nobody cares about in a thread full of negativity towards one who has had just enough of the MMORPG's today.

Here is my thoughts regarding the OP post as I pretty much ignored the topic:

You will be back, and you know it.  But honestly nobody cares if you stay or leave. That is your decision and you honestly don't need to tell others in a new pointless thread, It is candle flicker that brings in negative people who funnily enough share a similar view, but have already wrote about it before and thus it becomes old. You're begging for trolls and negative minds to write against you in a negative way, that of which has been served to threads like these over and over throughout the years and each has faced the same flak-fire.

Best of luck in your new adventures, space cow.

• PyndaPynda Member UncommonPosts: 856

Originally posted by Chii-Nii
    You will be back, and you know it.

Myself, I'd never start a thread to say what the OP did. But I basically feel the same way about themepark games, and I wouldn't be too sure about your opinion of people like us. These forums I come back to, yes. Because I still have an interest in MMORPGs. But did I play SWTOR or GW2 - no. Final Fantasy or ESO? No and no again. And I'm pretty sure I'm never coming back again. I've had some fun with linear themeparks, but they just aren't my cup of tea. I know that now, and I've moved on.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Isn't the customary response to be "can i have your stuff"?
  • RamanadjinnRamanadjinn Member UncommonPosts: 1,365

Keep your eye on the other games too though.  I don't know much about EQNext, but i'll check it out when more info is released.

But I would pay attention to Black Desert, Archeage, The Repopulation, Gloria Victis, Life is Feudal, and possibly some others coming up.

I understand how you feel.  I'm mostly a PVP player and spend my time these days with GW2(less and less so) or Planetside 2 (more and more so) as well so ESO was all but wasted money for me.  But there does seem to be an upcoming wave of games that are at least promising something a little different and may be worth checking out!

Originally posted by Pynda

Originally posted by Chii-Nii
    You will be back, and you know it.

I wouldn't be too sure about your opinion of people like us.

More themeparks will arise in the future and as the OP said he will be avoiding them like the plaque in the future. While it is possible he may not look in the direction of Elder Scrolls Online. It is possible he may come back to NEWER themeparks at a later time. You say you know what tea you like right now and thats great, good for you. Anyone or more specifically you for example who has *example* or the OP who most likely has played SWTOR and GW2 say you have had your taste and now you're done.  Great! Wonderful! SuperTasticlicious!

My opinion about 'People Like You' was directed towards people LIKE The OP not people like US who is me and the others loling @OP who login to MMORPG.com to rant about how dissatisfied they are about something they do not like, cause at the end of the day nobody wants to hear it. Nobody wants to login and come on a forums and hear members spout nonsense saying "Ohhh I played this and that, but Iv had my fair share of it and now I'll never return again." Im Never Going Back Ever!" NEVERRRR!!!!! *Insert Lulz Here*

I'll assume he will be back and so will you, but at the end of the day.  Take a tea break! Mm.  I'll assume it's the same way for those who tire of reading of people complain about people complaining, and that turns around and makes the non-complainer the complainer about complaining *Insert Jackie Chan Gif* xD My posts we're just an opinion and I'm pretty sure of my opinion in regards to those who eventually return.

Cause at the end of the day. If you're a person who plays MMORPG's at all - You have to learn to accept the genre and what it is and what it will be tomorrow. The same copied and pasted experience like yesterdays MMO QE/ ESO/Wildstar and so on. I hear Archeage is selling access for $150, time to go mindlessly buy into it while it is a F2P game, but hey i get early access! Banzaii!

If you do end up not coming back I'm sure it will be for the best! Things are stale in both themeparks and sandboxes (For Me) at least. MMORPG's will not change and will not get any better.

@OP - It's time to sip some real tea and wake up from kansas dorthy.  It aint getting any better next year or the year after that or the year after that or the year after.....and so on. This is what an MMORPG is and it has not changed since the year 2008 and did not change in 2014 with these 'new' MMORPG's.

You just have to learn to accept what an MMORPG is and when you do you won't login to forums to complain to those who like talking about MMORPG's and accept what they are to a certain degree, but yes we all want something better. ;) with that said. Fairwell on your new journey.

• Sajman01Sajman01 Member Posts: 204
    Enjoy your time away.

Play some Dota2, its what MMO PvP should have been.
  • TelondarielTelondariel Member Posts: 1,001

I think you are setting yourself up for a soul crushing letdown if you think EQN is going to be the non-themepark savior for you.  If you've followed any of the info and twitter chat from Dave, Smed and the gang since SOE Live last summer, you'll realize it has sandbox elements and will greatly cater, with micro transactions, to those that like ease of convenience.  If you haven't followed any of the last year of info, you have some homework ahead of you.

• MagiknightMagiknight Member CommonPosts: 782

"Themepark" has become synonymous with "terrible MMO" or "rush to end game" or "quest grind" or "instance heavy MMO" or "solo friendly." I wont play them either. Not until they are worlds again.

The idea that the only other thing a MMO can be is a sandbox is ridiculous.

• superconductingsuperconducting Member UncommonPosts: 871

ESO may not be the next big thing but is still fun to play until EQNext or the next mmo phenomenon comes to being. That's how I see it.