Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Unplayable game

Comments

• papariospaparios Member Posts: 48
    Originally posted by Varex12
    Originally posted by Tsuru
    Originally posted by AuntieSpeaksAlot
    Originally posted by vixen2
    Well, I tried the beta today, and I was very disappointed with the combat.  Combat and movement felt clunky and slow, to the point that after a half hour of really trying to get used to it, I had to turn it off.  The combat system is very slow and unresponsive and needs to be revamped.  The animations are horrible and the graphics look like something out of a poorly drawn cartoon. I really wanted to like this game, as it has several neat features, but I just can't get past the movement (and no its not my computer, I have an I7 with high end HD radion graphics card).  Guess I will be continuing to play that other game that just came out.

so you can play the game?  What is the problem? 

Hes complaining about the same thing everyone else can't seem to get though their head. Its a optimazation issue with their game engine. They have acknowledged the issue, and said they are working on it with each patch. They have plenty of time to fix said issues, and if anyone had an basic intellect they could easily do a google search and look up things they can do in the mean time to completely fix said studdering.

It's not just that though.  Based on recent posts of the OP (from above), they seem to be fine with ESO combat.  Anyone who can play that game, then turn around and play Wildstar, and claim Wildstar is the one with the clunky combat...well, I just don't know what to say.  

I say this as a person who enjoys ESO, too.  Combat just isn't one of that game's great strengths.

+1

• ace80kace80k Member UncommonPosts: 151
    Unplayable compared to ESO? Really? My question to you is: what do you consider unplayable, lol? Because to me, lack of end game content=unplayable. It's called thinking ahead, not just living in the now. Just because ESO was released first, doesn't mean it's better than Wildstar. I can understand why Wildstar's graphics could be a huge turn off, but at the end of the day, Wildstar should be more fun in the long run. Unless that is, you enjoy knocking down keep doors in ESO. From what I understand, Cyrodill is it as far as end game is concerned in ESO. So yea, get used to knocking down keep doors...
  • Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960
    Originally posted by Mors-Subita
    Originally posted by Solar_Prophet

Actually, I love the combat in Wildstar. It's fast and very responsive, and I've been having fun in the beta. Sadly, the game runs like absolute crap in most areas, and I'm lucky to get FPS in the teens on a system which meets recommended requirements, so I probably won't bother with it.

The UI is also kind of iffy and needs work, and the presence of placeholder graphics in some areas this close to release has me a bit leery as well.

A shame because I'm really liking the story, setting, and aesthetics so far. 25% off at GMG certainly is tempting...

Try turning off vsync. some people in game have reported as much as double on their FPS once they disable that.

Vsync defaulted to off, and just to make sure I disabled it in the ATI control panel. Still the same problem. I appreciate the help though.

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic

• KinadoKinado Member Posts: 198

This BETA seems worse in terms of FPS than the last BETA I've played. They changed a lot of things though. I thought the game still had 6 months of polishing to be done, was very surprised when they announced it for june 3rd.

Anyway the combat is NOT CLUNKY! lol its fluid as hell, pvp is great and fun in that game. If you actually know how to play that is, if mobility is not your strong suit then Wildstar is not for you.

Anyway, game looks great but needs a lot of optimization to be done and also a lot of bug fixing.

I actually prefer the old UI though. Anyway you can mod the UI to unrecognition so its not a big deal.

• NecropsieNecropsie Member UncommonPosts: 142
    Originally posted by AuntieSpeaksAlot
    Well, I tried the beta today, and I was very disappointed with the combat.  Combat and movement felt clunky and slow, to the point that after a half hour of really trying to get used to it, I had to turn it off.  The combat system is very slow and unresponsive and needs to be revamped.  The animations are horrible and the graphics look like something out of a poorly drawn cartoon. I really wanted to like this game, as it has several neat features, but I just can't get past the movement (and no its not my computer, I have an I7 with high end HD radion graphics card).  Guess I will be continuing to play that other game that just came out.

OP is saying combat is slow and unresponsive. And i think he says this just to bash the game. Why?

Well if you look at his / her post history, he / she clearly loves ESO. When you compare combat in ESO and combat in WildStar.. And call WildStar combat is slow.. It means you dont know a thing about those two games and / or you are just making stuff. Love it or hate it, i dont care, but combat in WildStar is far away from being slow.

Stages of a new mmo: 1) It's just beta. It still has plenty of time before release. 2) It just launched. Give it time. WoW wasn't built in a day. 3) We don't need you anyway. 4) F2P announced. 5)Huge influx of players. 6) Look how much has changed. 7) Cash shop is the only thing developed lately. 8) It has been a long journey and we thank everyone who was part of it. Shutting down in 3 months. (Courtesy of Robokapp.)

• Instigator-JonesInstigator-Jones Member UncommonPosts: 530

Sounds like someone needs a new compy... Sorry that it's unplayable for you... It's totally playable for me. Just say'n.

• Vee4240Vee4240 Member UncommonPosts: 42
    Yea OP, and im not saying this to sound mean, but you seriously need some upgrading if WS runs that bad for you. The only problem I have is it not being optimized on all levels, but other than that combat is as smooth as butter. Now ESO on the other hand feels unreal in that the combat is action, but nothing flows with the upcoming skill (stop and go'ish is you will). 
  • hatefulpeacehatefulpeace Member UncommonPosts: 621

How can you call the animations horrible? Especially compared to ESO, the npc in ESO cant even talk with the audio. All their mouths do are move up and down, worse than a cheap Godzilla dub. That is just getting into the npc talking, most of the other animations from what I have seen in my 60 hours of playing it are just a copy. Its not like Orc's walk different than elves. I mean come on a huge beast like a orc, walking like a nimble elf Ha. Not to even get into the fact that all the bodys in ESO are the same to the T. 

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Originally posted by Rhoklaw

Take WoW for instance, when it came out 10 years ago and used the same cutting edge trailers to market their game. How is it, WoW sustained such momentum after 10 years despite the trailers being nothing like the game? I guess because the game had content, size and 10 years ago, we weren't quite tired of kill quests.

I certainly agree with your general comment. When it comes to WoW though - outdone by EQ2 in-store advertising as well - I sggest there was much more at work. (Download speeds were much slower back then of course.)

WoW ran an essentially open, no NDA 9+ month beta in the US. Another was started in EU a few months prior to the US launch (Sept - April maybe). Lots of people played the game - US beta was 600k. So people knew, before launch that there was a polished product. So, come launch when the first 20 servers went into meltdown people believed Blizzard when they said "sorry, new servers coming pronto". The anger was justified but people who started from day 5 on the new servers had no problems. The good comments drowned out the (justified) anger and the rest is history.

GW1 had a slightly different approach but again lots of access.

Up to a point Wildstar has adopted this approach. Just about anyone can play a beta - there are lots of keys available. And there are benefits. People who don't like it probably won't buy it - and then post negative comments about it. With those who do more likely to generate "good press".

And that is the problem with glossy vids these days. Don't deliver, make people feel they have been ripped off and they will say so. And whilst it varies by country (culture) people are c. seven time more likely to post bad stuff than good stuff.

Letting all and sundry into their betas may lose them some sales but (as long as the launch turns out to be representative of the beta) it will get them a much better ratio of good to bad.

• SiphaedSiphaed Member RarePosts: 1,114

So, the TESO servers were down today and many players -such as the OP- come to the Wildstar section to troll on it, ACTING like they played the Beta  Weekend.

Original post claimed to have wanted to "like this game", however backtracks that statement in the previous sentence about how the aesthetics (not graphics, by the way) look like "poorly drawn cartoon".     His post history shows not one inkling towards mentioning Wildstar at all. 

Yesterday the original poster posted mention of having a blast in Elder Scrolls Online and enjoying the heck out of it.  Good for him, ...but, when did he find the time/bandwidth to download Wildstar?   At what point did he start even playing this game and decidedly stopped playing the game he was so enjoying?

This whole post of trying to say he played "half hour" without any details to the zones, gameplay, or anything smells trollish.  Double that with attempts to solidify his issues with the game by posting very vague PC specs as though to declare "it's not my PC, it's the game!" (and yes it is vague to give an i7 without gen and Radion without number value to give).   Overall the whole original post is a lie that is as clear as the ocean breeze, but as smelly as one wafting over a garbage dump.     

Post Script Edit:

I really wanted to not just criticize the original post.  Instead I also want give an example of how to properly explain issues with a game to truly show that not only has one actually played it, but also partially know what they're talking about.  So here goes nothing....

The Elder Scrolls Online and it's issues.

Having participated in only two of TESO's Beta Weekend events, I have a very shallow understanding of the the game.  However, experiencing up to level 13 on my highest character and having played multiple characters and zones, I feel confident that I'm able to judge certain aspects of the game.    The two biggest issues with the game that I have:  combat and questing.

Although the game is sold as having an "action combat" with a first-person aiming reticle and skill based precision.  That was quickly diminished when instead an enemy was 'highlighted' red after being within visual front (not fully a 180 degree front, but definitely more than a 90 degree, for sure).  Arrows would just automatically lock-on and hit the highlighted victim after the loose, even if they'd moved out of way;  a direct indication that the hit-point system is based on when the ability is triggered and there is no 'ability land' tracked by the system at all.   So, technically not skill-based at all.  Instead it's a system of ai...look, fire, and done.

On to questing, which is a game of run here and run there and then back to here yet again.   Although there are hubless quests to be found in the game's world, most of the quests are obtained by hubs you'll be traveling to-and-from multiple times (because the quests are tied-in/chained so that you cannot do one until you do the other and so on).   The largest issue with these quests is that a goal is so far from the giver that a good 5-10 minutes is spent just traveling before completion (that's just traveling time, not time including the actual quest or fighting mobs or whatever).  

So there you have it, my two biggest and most obnoxious gripes about TESO.  I'll only stay with those two, as they're "core features" and that's gamebreaking [to me] on their own.   Other major glitches exist, however I'll choose not to go into them too much.  And yes, I do think they're client based on not due to my computer [an i5 Haswell 3.4ghz, running a Killer NIC, 8gb DDR3, 560 GTX on a fast loading SDD running Windows 7] or my internet connection [last ran a 33.75mbps speed test].  So no, it's not my system's fault when the client crashed nearly every time a crafting table was used, every 1/3rd time a loading screen happened (which incidentally is a lot in this game), when falling through the game's world multiple times, and when quests break to prevent completion.  Has to be that game client.

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

Just because you don't mention the game you are bashing this game to try and make it appear better (ESO) doesn't mean its not obvious. It is quite silly though knowing you are railing on this game about Combat being unresponsive and slow when you play ESO, which is far from being glorious at its combat (mimicing TES which some people like but its FAR from being as quick paced as Wildstar). In the rare chance you aren't just mindlessly bashing a game in some silly gimmick to desperately push your game you feel like is threatened by this game (which I feel is silly since in a way they fit in two different spectrums of the MMO market).

1.) Combat is very fast paced. It involves a lot of careful movement. Skills not only require aiming but also have their own timing to them, requiring you to adjust. This becomes more prevelent against players that your abilities having that brief delay to pull off means that you need to move quickly to react. Classes like Stalker have more instantaneous abilities that work great for those looking for a 'easy mode spam fest' gameplay without much thought.

2.) Animations in this game utilize a particular style. If judging by the quality, the animations are quite good. That being said, some people won't like the style just because it doesn't suit their tastes. There are others who won't like it because its childish (aka the "I can't look like a child, I'm not secure about my age!" teenagers/midlife crisis adults.) Those people, I'm sorry your sense of maturity relies on art style (and probably falls and becomes immature to seeing blood and boobs). Still for those who aren't ignorant and just can't get into the style, no hard feelings not all art styles appeal to everyone.

• ShephardShephard Member Posts: 69
    The game is just as badly optimized as SWTOR, which is troubling.
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    LOL, very funny OP. Should have just said I dont like the game over making stuff up. One thing Wildstar is not, is chunky and slow combat lol. Combat is one of its strongest areas as it smooth with fluid animations and its very quick, much quicker then most MMOs. So quick many have said they dont like the game for that reason. (((eye roll)))
  • TsuruTsuru Member UncommonPosts: 297

Yesterday i participated in 15 man public event, kiling the stem dragon. It was hectic, fastpace, fun, and fluid. We were constant moving around, dodging, kiting. EVERYONE was engaged, even the healers had to move around to heal while avoiding telegraphed moves. And if you werent fast, you died, one shotted. No one to blame except yourself. You simply didnt dodge or move out of the way fast enough.  This game is anything BUT slow.

• IylzIylz Member Posts: 107

This game doesn't require a great PC maybe it's time to upgrade, "that other game" will probably run a lot worse on your computer if you are having problems with Wildstar. Combat is fast and fun, highly responsive due to the dodge feature. 

[mod edit]

• NikaasNikaas Member UncommonPosts: 135
    Originally posted by Iylz

This game doesn't require a great PC maybe it's time to upgrade, "that other game" will probably run a lot worse on your computer if you are having problems with Wildstar. Combat is fast and fun, highly responsive due to the dodge feature. 

This guy is either a troll or an idiot. 

Can you point us to non-Dev video of WS with 50+ average FPS in capital city? The PC can be as powerful as you wish.

• LookwhostalkingLookwhostalking Member Posts: 63

Yesterday i participated in 15 man public event, kiling the stem dragon. It was hectic, fastpace, fun, and fluid. We were constant moving around, dodging, kiting. EVERYONE was engaged, even the healers had to move around to heal while avoiding telegraphed moves. And if you werent fast, you died, one shotted. No one to blame except yourself. You simply didnt dodge or move out of the way fast enough.  This game is anything BUT slow.

Valid point. I think many of the haters simply cant follow the pace that WS requires from a player :)

• AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083

This was my biggest gripe with WildStar. The loose/sliding combat. It's just really clunky and unresponsive. I absolutely love the rest of the game though, have been enjoying my time in the beta, but without combat improvements on a large scale I doubt I'll end up making it my primary game at release.

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

• KinadoKinado Member Posts: 198

Oh no! It's the facepalm guy! In his facepalm world! With his facepalm signature and facepalm avatar! You cannot reason with facepalms, everything is facepalm material for him unless he said it!

As for for Wildstar it has the best PVP I've played in a MMO so far and I played them allllll. That's sub material for me right there! Fluid, fast, responsive you don't die with 2 hits but you can kill 2 guys if you are good and they are bad!

It will take some time getting used to all of those eye popping colours and cartoony look but it kinda grows on you... Other than that they have some technical problems they need to fix before launching. Optimization, battleground queues not working, UI bugs etc.

They keep changing stuff all the time, good to know they are listening to player feedback.

• FlawSGIFlawSGI Member UncommonPosts: 1,379
    Originally posted by Lookwhostalking

Valid point. I think many of the haters simply cant follow the pace that WS requires from a player :)

Sorry to burst your bubble, but I am not a hater by any stretch of the imagination and I think the game is slow as hell. Sure the ability spam is fast and responsive, but the camera pan, character movement, and ability aim and character positioning is very slow. Just my opinion of course and I only come to this conclusion based on personal comparisons other MMO"s. I agree that there are many things in the game that require you to pay attention and move, but this still doesn't change the opinions of some that the game feels and plays like it's swimming in quicksand. A simple pan speed option would have alleviated this for me personally and it is included in many MMO's I have play. That or they actually turn quick enough that I never felt like it needed it.

RIP Jimmy "The Rev" Sullivan and Paul Gray.

Originally posted by FlawSGI

Sorry to burst your bubble, but I am not a hater by any stretch of the imagination and I think the game is slow as hell. Sure the ability spam is fast and responsive, but the camera pan, character movement, and ability aim and character positioning is very slow. Just my opinion of course and I only come to this conclusion based on personal comparisons other MMO"s. I agree that there are many things in the game that require you to pay attention and move, but this still doesn't change the opinions of some that the game feels and plays like it's swimming in quicksand. A simple pan speed option would have alleviated this for me personally and it is included in many MMO's I have play. That or they actually turn quick enough that I never felt like it needed it.

I sure accept different opinions, but could you pls point me some of those mmo's? Just to see what you mean :)

• JaedorJaedor Member UncommonPosts: 1,173

I filed a bunch of bug reports over the weekend and got dc'd a couple times but I did not have the OP's experience at all.

I sure accept different opinions, but could you pls point me some of those mmo's? Just to see what you mean :)

Any and every MMO I have played with the exception of EQ2 since I also felt that the turning and movement was a problem especially since you couldn't combine keys to circle strafe. If all the games I played controlled the exact same way then I wouldn't have made the observation in the first place. Maybe this isn't a problem for non keyboard turners but I use the keyboard for my movement and have done so for many years with absolutely no issues. With that being said, the gameplay feels extremely slow and sluggish because you can't adjust the pan anywhere that I have found in the multiple beta weekends and the default turn speed is slow making the combat and movement feel clunky. WoW and GW2 are a couple of MMO's that I have felt nailed this aspect and the others that didn't offered some options to make it work where WS as of now does not.

Any and every MMO I have played with the exception of EQ2 since I also felt that the turning and movement was a problem especially since you couldn't combine keys to circle strafe. If all the games I played controlled the exact same way then I wouldn't have made the observation in the first place. Maybe this isn't a problem for non keyboard turners but I use the keyboard for my movement and have done so for many years with absolutely no issues. With that being said, the gameplay feels extremely slow and sluggish because you can't adjust the pan anywhere that I have found in the multiple beta weekends and the default turn speed is slow making the combat and movement feel clunky. WoW and GW2 are a couple of MMO's that I have felt nailed this aspect and the others that didn't offered some options to make it work where WS as of now does not.

Now that makes sence. Its not the games fault, if you cant play it as it meant to be played then its your fault. I m saying this polite, not to troll you, but you have to accept that game works "better" using mouse to strafe. Else if you cant  just skip it.  Anyway its not the game slow, its that you cant adapt its playstyle. Again saying this with respect :)

Now that makes sence. Its not the games fault, if you cant play it as it meant to be played then its your fault. I m saying this polite, not to troll you, but you have to accept that game works "better" using mouse to strafe. Else if you cant  just skip it.  Anyway its not the game slow, its that you cant adapt its playstyle. Again saying this with respect :)

Fair enough and I can sadly say I anticipated this response. So with all due respect let me point out once again that I have played many MMO's and it has only been an issue once. So while you can sit there and say it is a play style and I should move on, I will politely point out that I made an observation once again based on every other MMO I have experienced and WS fell short hence why I felt it was slow and the OP had at lease one valid point. I have heard every MMO works better with mouse movements and I have found that it never has for me so we can just agree to disagree on that. Maybe you need to accept that games put in WASD movement because it is viable. It's in the game so I formed an opinion on the movement. It's not like I am saying it should have a feature and am passing judgment on it because it is missing.  But go ahead and use that reasoning if it makes you feel better. With all due respect of course :)