Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is this forum a true representation of people who play games?

Comments

• JacxolopeJacxolope Member UncommonPosts: 1,140
    Originally posted by AuntieSpeaksAlot
    Originally posted by Dibdabs

If 100% of the people who played mmorpgs posted here 100% of the time, it would be a fair representation of people who play games.

Don't worry, you'll grasp how the Internet works eventually.

haha, gotta love supercilious hauteur of that last line.  

Eh, Its all good. Ever sine Al Gore made this interweb I still cannot figure out how it works.

Not sure if you people are real or some NSA bots being used to probe my mind.

Either way- I am sure its a conspiracy. =P

Damn you Al Gore with your overly complex interweb. I want my web TV back.

• I think it's mostly representative of people really interested in MMOs and less general gamers.

• UproarUproar Member UncommonPosts: 521
    Originally posted by cheyane
    I belong to some Korean drama forums and when two current dramas are going on fans from one go to the other and derail threads and the fans from that then retaliate. Its human behaviour.

No it isn't.  That is not human behaviour,  That is someone acting like a prick because they are anonymous on the internet and they have many inadequacies in real life they need to compensate for.  In the real world it is not normal human behaviour.  

I agree, although I am not entirely certain it's 'only' annominity of name.  Play an MMO where game chat is common, especially in pick up games such as DDO (only one MMO that comes to my mind unfortunately as I love the practice).  You'll quickly find that the obnoxious and haters share a trait.  They tend to be weird and also exhibit anti-social behaviors -- you can tell even more from folks voice and less thought out attitudes then you can from what they typically type.

It's definitely not normal.  It's definitely not even average / normal 'joes'.

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

I think the simple test is to look at the threads about a game and then look at the polls regarding the general happiness about it. They are almost never the same.

The ESO resub one is actually quite funny. The game gets bashed constantly. Everything no matter how small gets it's own OMG THIS IS THE END!! thread, but that poll is a landslide towards the positive. ( not saying it's accurate just so not representative of what we read )

The people reading forums may make up your avg gamer but the posters absolutely do not. It would kind of be like going into a store and heading to the complaint department and asking people how they feel about shopping here. 

People in general are far more willing to make the effort to complain about something, than post how much they're enjoying it.

• Gamer54321Gamer54321 Member UncommonPosts: 452
    I wonder how many game devs and eh journalists roam these forums.
  • JacxolopeJacxolope Member UncommonPosts: 1,140
    Originally posted by Gamer54321
    I wonder how many game devs and eh journalists roam these forums.

-Probably a ton.

Most devs would (I assume) be passionate gamers before becoming devs. Most companies use viral marketing and promote hype (and thus have an idea as to the pulse of a situation) and they would be foolish not to.

I know there is a forum that used to be dedicated to hating this radio talk show guy named George Noory and out of blue he began posting there and even contacting some of his "haters". He proved it was him by giving shout outs on air (after a very long debate as to if it was really him or not) and he admitted to reading the forum daily. This forum had been going for years (10 I think) without a word until last year when its now been admitted that he was always there reading it.

I can provide the thread but its HUNDREDS of pages long and I have no idea when him actually commenting started nor am I going through all that.

So yeah- Safe to assume a good many.

• HelleriHelleri Member UncommonPosts: 930

I like to think we keep each other in check with perspective. We fulfill the loose objective of a forum and handle it in a way that forums have worked since their inception. Better even...because, we are in fact more civilized then a stabbing on the floor of a roman senate with a pugio; Or an assault with a smooth bore pistol at Independence Hall (events of the non-internet based forums of the distant and not so distant past).

...The worst you really get here, is bad meme.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    I assure you, my views are totally representative of the entire gaming community.

No need to read any further.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• MiviMivi Member UncommonPosts: 83

Is this forum a true representation of people who play games?

no.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    There simply seems to be a crazy amount of elitism and arguments for the sake of arguing on here.  Is it a group of people who enjoy mmo's or a group of people who enjoy reading their own words on a forum? 

the answer is obviously the latter, and this is not representative of anything.

• AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085

No.

Everyone plays games.

Not everyone reads and writes on MMORPG.com.

If at all, we would be a good representation of people playing MMOs. However, you would still have to take into account that different people post in different amounts and that is in no way connected to how much these respective people actually play.

Also, as a rule: people who are happy playing have no time for posting.

• vveaver_onlinevveaver_online Member UncommonPosts: 436

i would consider myself a true representation pf people who pplay mmo's I play almost all of them.

These forums have a tendency to be used when im not happy, when im happy i do not really post here,

SO my guess would be that people use this site to vent their issues with games, but not really to praise them.

Iv been spending my weekend in wildstar, and i love it! Delux edition preordered, can't wait to get in deep and dirty with that gem of a mmo. !"

yeah baby!

• jesadjesad Member UncommonPosts: 882

I am not a true representative of the people who play games.  In fact, as time goes by, I find myself quite the dinosaur.  I am not fiercely competitive, I am not interested in completely stepping out of the game and playing my own game within the game, I am not prone to just say hateful things for the sake of enraging people nor am I prone to over-hype something just because I think it's good. 

I come here to share my opinions and to attempt to flesh out the best way to enjoy myself playing these games.  I come here to tell other people when I think a game is cool or to warn them when I think that it is a waste of time.  I rarely go over the top like you always hear people do but at the same time I will randomly go off and really ridicule someone because it's hard to maintain restraint in a place where very few people maintain restraint.  And sometimes people are just too much and need to be made fun of for it.

I do believe though, that for the most part, people on the internet are by and large ridiculous, including myself.  I also believe though that it's the anonymity of the whole thing that allows people to really say what they feel and thus allows those other people who may have something constructive to bring to that conversation to bring it.

Using your example of what happens in real life you might never know that a guy hates you because of something stupid because that guy might never say anything to you about it for fear of getting hit in the mouth.

That same guy will say that thing on the internet though, and that gives the topic a chance for dialogue. 

See, I believe that words have power and that true logic will always ring true eventually even if you don't want to accept what you are hearing now.  So I believe in freedom of speech, I believe in anonymity, I believe in the internet, and I believe in MMORPG.com.

It's all a good thing as long as your IQ is above 80, and if it isn't, we'll raise it, cause that's how we roll.

• jesadjesad Member UncommonPosts: 882
    That was my Oliver Wendell Douglas impersonation by the way.  Try and tell me that you didn't hear music playing in the background as you read that :P

• FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    "No because in 2014 people who play PC games don't use their PC to go to websites and talk about the game they're playing. They use many social networks, but it takes special skills to use a forum. Thus they play PC games while blissfully ignorant.  Only a skilled vocal minority go to forums and talk about PC games." -Idiot
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

Perhaps I explained my point badly.  

There seem to be a lot of fanboys/ haters who want to derail threads about a game they dislike.  Someone may come on here wanting to discuss a certain aspect of a game they play, then there is a core of regular posters who will search out that forum and deliberately derail the thread or turn it into a cess pit of non-sensical circular argumentative twattery.  That just seems to be the way with these forums.  

This is why I try to stay out of specific game forums. I am not playing them, so I don't care what is going on. I will confess to my trouble staying out of the TES:O forum as sometimes, the thread titles (seen on the front page) will pull me in. But really, I do try :)

[EDIT]
    As far as the topic question, only a small percentage of players that play games will visit forums of any kind. Do the players here at MMORPG.com represent the majority of players playing games? No. Not even close. The vast majority of players buy their games and play them. They may visit a forum if they have a question or experience trouble in the game, but rarely hang around after their questions/troubles are answered.

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699
    People who think they know it all are very annoying to those of us who do.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• Carl132pCarl132p Member UncommonPosts: 538
    There simply seems to be a crazy amount of elitism and arguments for the sake of arguing on here.  Is it a group of people who enjoy mmo's or a group of people who enjoy reading their own words on a forum? 

If this forum were a representation of all people who play games, games would have no players in them. This place is a hive of negativity because everyone who finds something they enjoy moves on to the official forums. You can't browse forums here and actually continue to enjoy the games you play because everyone is so negative about every game no matter the quality.

• AmbrosiusAmbrosius Member Posts: 75
    I would think there is a decent percentage of MMO gamers who read forums pertaining to their favorite games and gaming.  But what you HEAR on forums always tends to be dominated by a small, noisy, whiney minority.

-- Ambros.

• LienhartLienhart Member UncommonPosts: 662

No, the vast majority of MMORPG forum members are anti social individuals irl based on their post patterns. 

I live to go faster...or die trying.
  • nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    not even close ...
  • LeGrosGamerLeGrosGamer Member UncommonPosts: 223

This site, like almost every other MMO site out there, doesn't represent much at all.  Look at the number of members vs the users online vs the number of posts, and I'm guessing the number of posts is since this site has been created which is at least 5 years old. So do the math, you got 2 million members posting once every world cup of soccer.  That is why the Hype meter on this site needs to be removed, it is pointless. You got games hyped at 8.0+ and on release they are a steaming load of trash that are worth 3.0 out of 10 at best.

• AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083
    No, no no no. Haha. These forums are no way an accurate representation of people who play games.

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

• HelleriHelleri Member UncommonPosts: 930
    Originally posted by LeGrosGamer

This site, like almost every other MMO site out there, doesn't represent much at all.  Look at the number of members vs the users online vs the number of posts, and I'm guessing the number of posts is since this site has been created which is at least 5 years old. So do the math, you got 2 million members posting once every world cup of soccer.  That is why the Hype meter on this site needs to be removed, it is pointless. You got games hyped at 8.0+ and on release they are a steaming load of trash that are worth 3.0 out of 10 at best.

I think it should go as well. But, I am just over point scoring systems in general. They have become archaic and are not fairly representative of anything. That said, don't the scores on this site come from meta critic (which has a lot more people giving the ratings then we have here viewing them)?

• free2playfree2play Member UncommonPosts: 2,043

I come to a forum, I contribute.

I wasn't aware of any expert requirements. You want expertise, read dev blogs.