Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] Elder Scrolls Online: Review in Progress #3

Comments

• syriinxsyriinx Member UncommonPosts: 1,383

Seems like they did a good job overall.

Game is not for me though, I thought easily the worst aspect of Skyrim was the combat and its carried over here.  Maybe if I try it with a controller Ill like it more, but since I tend to dislike 'action' combat for MMOs I think its safe to ignore this game for me.  Too bad because it seems to be more explorable than most recent MMOs.

• Ragnar1337Ragnar1337 Member CommonPosts: 70
    Originally posted by Leiros
    [mod edit]

[mod edit]

My friends and I are having a great time in ESO. Sorry it wasn't to your liking. I highly doubt this will be a flop. If anything, I think it will become more popular as bugs get fixed and more people play the game. What's in the game now is good and fun... not revolutionary, but entertaining none the less.

I don't think the business model has anything to do with the game being a piece of crap. I'm sure Elder Scrolls fans will enjoy this game for about 2 months but after that it's over with. This game just fails as an MMORPG, it servers no purpose other than to play skyrim at the same time as other people. Once people play through the story lines there is nothing left. That pitiful excuse for a pvp mechanic which is nothing but a big instanced MOBA if anything will not keep people paying a monthly sub. Even if it goes F2P it still has nothing to offer long term and it looks like it was completely designed that way. 

• BoldynBoldyn Member Posts: 265
    Originally posted by jonesing22
    still have an eternal loading screen quite frequently.

What made that go away completely for me is to sign for your Campaign and only enter through the notification and not the PvP window.

• ArndushArndush Member Posts: 303
    Originally posted by Panzerbase
    Originally posted by Arndush
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer
    This is seems like a piece of prep for a high score, the game has some serious issues, you simply can't wave them off by saying you're having fun. The dungeons are linear, repetitive, and at wow normal dungeon levels of difficulty. I think the safest bet here for someone interested in trying ESO is wait out the initial launch and see if they have any major changes coming down the pipeline. 

You know, That kinda stick in my side a bit too while I was reading. I can't speak to the dungeons. Except to say I played in Open dungeons back in Anarchy Online and love it or hate it, It added an interesting flavor to instancing that I 'd love to experience again.

But that wasn't my issue with this piece. So far, this game has had some very serious showstoppers for some players. I expect them to be fixed soon enough, however, to simply brush them off as nothing more than " It needs a lot of polish, sure,...." totally invalidates any objectivity the OP can try to make a claim to. This article should have acknowledged the major issues, both the ones that have been fixed, and the ones yet to be addressed. 

The bugs are known issues that have been beaten to death. But, he did acknowledge the issues and that they would effect the final score of the review, "The launch has been rough, for Zenimax, there’s no doubt. Lots of bugs from disappearing items to quest blockers, disappearing bank upgrades, and so forth.  Bugs I can forgive, but they’re going to count against the final score for sure."

He was writing his impressions of the game, not just bashing the bugs which everyone has been doing. That's not objective either.

That doesn't even make sense, by that logic you could say the dungeons being great have been beaten to death on these forums so there is no need to further address the issue. The reader should be given in depth analysis of every issue, good or bad, anything less smacks of duplicity, intentional or not. 

The bugs have been covered ad nauseam by reviewers everywhere. They have also been covered by the author of this article in previous parts of his review. In this part of the review, he chose to address them quickly to acknowledge they still need to be dealt with and then moved on to other parts of the game. There is nothing wrong with that and nothing that, "totally invalidates any objectivity the OP can try to make a claim to" As Geezer stated. Bill Murphy has been one of the few reviewers who doesn't just pander to the fanboys or the haters. He doesn't just lavish praise, or pile on the hate. He reports the good and the bad. They only thing I can say about Geezer's statement is, "Holy Hyperbole Batman!"

• TalemireTalemire Member UncommonPosts: 839
    I definitely see a 9/10 coming, and it's a 9/10 only because of the bugs.
    Isaiah 41:10
  • VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872

Bill is a good writer and a passionate gamer, but a bad reviewer.

His ongoing scheme of writing off literal gamebreakers as "room for improvement", turning a blind eye on blatant flaws and in the end giving the usual highscore got to a point at which it becomes borderline dishonest and not worth reading anymore.

8.7+ incoming and everyone knows it. As with all the other major titles "reviewed" on this site the score was set before the first line of the article was written.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    This is seems like a piece of prep for a high score, the game has some serious issues, you simply can't wave them off by saying you're having fun. The dungeons are linear, repetitive, and at wow normal dungeon levels of difficulty. I think the safest bet here for someone interested in trying ESO is wait out the initial launch and see if they have any major changes coming down the pipeline. 

You know, That kinda stick in my side a bit too while I was reading. I can't speak to the dungeons. Except to say I played in Open dungeons back in Anarchy Online and love it or hate it, It added an interesting flavor to instancing that I 'd love to experience again.

But that wasn't my issue with this piece. So far, this game has had some very serious showstoppers for some players. I expect them to be fixed soon enough, however, to simply brush them off as nothing more than " It needs a lot of polish, sure,...." totally invalidates any objectivity the OP can try to make a claim to. This article should have acknowledged the major issues, both the ones that have been fixed, and the ones yet to be addressed. 

The bugs are known issues that have been beaten to death. But, he did acknowledge the issues and that they would effect the final score of the review, "The launch has been rough, for Zenimax, there’s no doubt. Lots of bugs from disappearing items to quest blockers, disappearing bank upgrades, and so forth.  Bugs I can forgive, but they’re going to count against the final score for sure."

He was writing his impressions of the game, not just bashing the bugs which everyone has been doing. That's not objective either.

That doesn't even make sense, by that logic you could say the dungeons being great have been beaten to death on these forums so there is no need to further address the issue. The reader should be given in depth analysis of every issue, good or bad, anything less smacks of duplicity, intentional or not. 

The bugs have been covered ad nauseam by reviewers everywhere. They have also been covered by the author of this article in previous parts of his review. In this part of the review, he chose to address them quickly to acknowledge they still need to be dealt with and then moved on to other parts of the game. There is nothing wrong with that and nothing that, "totally invalidates any objectivity the OP can try to make a claim to" As Geezer stated. Bill Murphy has been one of the few reviewers who doesn't just pander to the fanboys or the haters. He doesn't just lavish praise, or pile on the hate. He reports the good and the bad. They only thing I can say about Geezer's statement is, "Holy Hyperbole Batman!"

So, In a comprehensive review it's all well and good to hammer the great points ad nauseam, But the bugs have been covered elsewhere? Did I get that right? is that what you are saying?  I get it. It's a double standard. 

As far as the Hyperbole thing, I don't think Hyperbole means what you think it means. It doesn't mean "Don't tell me what I don't want to hear" If there truly was Hyperbole used, then you would be able to say alot more than "Holy Hyperbole Batman!" Which to quote you is "The only thing I can say". LOL

But you cannot because the bugs are real, they exist and no matter who accepts them as a cost of buying a new MMO or not, there are enough players of the game to warrant being documented. And ANYONE and EVERYONE who is thinking about purchasing this game has to ask themselves. "Will I be impacted by a game breaking bug?" and has to decide for themselves if it's worth the risk. Because you cannot say for certain that that person will not be impacted can you? Well? Can you? No you cannot.

So I ask you to please quote the hyperbole there and explain where it was that I was wrong or incorrect and exaggerating to make a statement.

I am still shaking my head reading the only evidence you came up with to indicate I am using Hyperbole is "Holy Hyperbole Batman!" with no other substance behind it. 

"Holy Irony Batman!" (see what I did there)

So just to review, (And you please point out the Hyperbole here)

There have been potentially game breaking bugs for anyone who is thinking of buying this game.

Please have at it. 

• KnotwoodKnotwood Member CommonPosts: 1,103

Nice review,  although I don't really see ESO as the best dungeons the entire gaming industry offers,  I think it compliments  the  RPG part of the game fantastic.  

This game is unquestionably the best Questing and Adventure an mmorpg has seen since Mines of Moria.    While I don't think the Dungeons are the strongest point, and others might be more satisfied with Wildstars dungeons,  I can definitely say that ESO has some really challenging dungeons on par with FFXIV dungeons and has great storylines behind them.

• bostonjonbostonjon Member Posts: 19
    Originally posted by Talemire

how can the possible recommend  the game with all the bugs, every day its something new it seems.  i want to like this game, i love ES games, but just by looking this forum and reddit, how can any suggest buying this game now?

• kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759

So, In a comprehensive review it's all well and good to hammer the great points ad nauseam, But the bugs have been covered elsewhere? Did I get that right? is that what you are saying?  I get it. It's a double standard. 

As far as the Hyperbole thing, I don't think Hyperbole means what you think it means. It doesn't mean "Don't tell me what I don't want to hear" If there truly was Hyperbole used, then you would be able to say alot more than "Holy Hyperbole Batman!" Which to quote you is "The only thing I can say". LOL

But you cannot because the bugs are real, they exist and no matter who accepts them as a cost of buying a new MMO or not, there are enough players of the game to warrant being documented. And ANYONE and EVERYONE who is thinking about purchasing this game has to ask themselves. "Will I be impacted by a game breaking bug?" and has to decide for themselves if it's worth the risk. Because you cannot say for certain that that person will not be impacted can you? Well? Can you? No you cannot.

So I ask you to please quote the hyperbole there and explain where it was that I was wrong or incorrect and exaggerating to make a statement.

I am still shaking my head reading the only evidence you came up with to indicate I am using Hyperbole is "Holy Hyperbole Batman!" with no other substance behind it. 

There have been potentially game breaking bugs for anyone who is thinking of buying this game.

Please have at it. 

Looks like you're missing the part where these bugs have ALREADY been covered. This is a single part of a multi-part review. The bugs have already been pointed out a few times. Is there really a need to cover in detail every bug / issue again in every part of the same review?

You also seem to like to ignore the fact that bugs get fixed. Would it make sense to keep covering bugs throughout the entire review when the day after it gets posted that bug could be fixed? A good review is focused on the core gameplay itself which will likely remain the same for the foreseeable future, not constantly focused on bugs that most likely will not even exist when someone comes along who is interested in the game a few days or weeks later and decides to check out the review. They were pointed out, that's all we need. Not step by step coverage of every bug that pops up every day throughout the entire review.

• marcustmarcust Member UncommonPosts: 495

A little tip for ignoring most of the gold spam (and imo improving immersion overall):

- Create a second chat channel ingame and then use options to edit both.

- Call one of them your "in town" channel or similar and leave zone chat ticked.

- In the other channel untick zone chat.

- When you enter a city like Davons Watch swap to your "in town" channel and soak up the chatter (and ignore a few gold sellers). As soon as you leave town, swap to your other chat channel (the one without zone chat enabled).

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

Not since Darkfall have I enjoyed a game as much as this one, to those who complain about this game, please add to your sig what you are currently playing so I can learn what is better. 

Playing: Darkfall New Dawn (and planning to play Fallout 76)
    Favourite games have included: UO, Lineage2, Darkfall, Lotro, Baldur's Gate, SSX, FF7 and yes the original Wizardry on an Apple IIe

Originally posted by kaiser3282

Please have at it. 

Looks like you're missing the part where these bugs have ALREADY been covered. This is a single part of a multi-part review. The bugs have already been pointed out a few times. Is there really a need to cover in detail every bug / issue again in every part of the same review?

You also seem to like to ignore the fact that bugs get fixed. Would it make sense to keep covering bugs throughout the entire review when the day after it gets posted that bug could be fixed? A good review is focused on the core gameplay itself which will likely remain the same for the foreseeable future, not constantly focused on bugs that most likely will not even exist when someone comes along who is interested in the game a few days or weeks later and decides to check out the review. They were pointed out, that's all we need. Not step by step coverage of every bug that pops up every day throughout the entire review.

Right, so answer the question then. You know, that last one that I made it simple. And if It isn't hyperbole (it isn't) Where was it spelled out as objectively in any review?

BTW, you say I missed the point that bugs were covered elsewhere. OK, fine, but this review said the game needs polish. I didn't miss that point. So, if there was no need to bring bugs up, then don't, this review did. So did I.

• ThornrageThornrage Member UncommonPosts: 659

The drawback is the many bugs in the game but I haven't had one that has caused me to not be able to continue.

Overall, I believe this is the most fun I have had in an MMO since the early days of SWG.

"I don't give a sh*t what other people say. I play what I like and I'll pay to do it too!" - SerialMMOist

• LeirosLeiros Member UncommonPosts: 281
    Originally posted by Thornrage

The drawback is the many bugs in the game but I haven't had one that has caused me to not be able to continue.

Overall, I believe this is the most fun I have had in an MMO since the early days of SWG.

Agreed. However, this is a totally different game than early SWG. SWG was more of a sandbox with a few themeparks here and there... But I agree 100% about the fun level in this game. Now that you mention it ... the bugs do remind me of early SWG, rubberbanding and all. lol Still, I had fun during those days. :-)

• Yoda_CloneYoda_Clone Member Posts: 219

It's really unfortunate: way back when, this was one of the most honest gaming sites on the web. Money corrupts.

Bill Murphy is a symptom of the problem at MMORPG.com, not the cause.  The web site treats major advertisers with kid gloves, and in doing so, effectively endorses those advertisers' fraudulent business practices.  As such, they are their own worse enemy; MMORPG.com risks losing its forum-goers -- like so many other sites -- because it has lost all credibility as an unbiased and objective game-reviewing site.  No web hits means no advertising dollars.

Whether talking about BioWare's SW-TOR or Zenimax's ESO, the games were not ready for release.  Period.  Neither game was adequately tested; both games had/have not just bugs, but major design flaws; both games were released when they were, I suspect, as "cash-grabs" because the development teams had overspent their budgets (probably a large portion of that on voice-overs and marketing hype).

No tap-dancing around the issues can change reality.  No "soft porn" review can cloud the reality of what players are experiencing.  It's not just the number of bugs that are an issue, it's the extraordinary variation of types of bugs which suggest this game was very poorly tested... not just in Beta, but also in Alpha, which suggests a very unprofessional development team.

• ZalmonZalmon Member Posts: 319
    Originally posted by Talemire

Hahaha!! i can see that recommendation going very well for future customers.

• starstar1starstar1 Member UncommonPosts: 62

I find it amusing that no matter what someone feels is good, bad, or middle road, it will cause folks to criticize whatever stance is made. It reminds me a of a quote by G K Chesterton:

The new rebel is a sceptic and will not entirely trust anything… [T]he fact that he doubts everything really gets in his way when he wants to denounce anything. For all denunciation applies a moral doctrine of some kind; and the modern revolutionist doubts not only the institution he denounces but the doctrine by which he denounces it… As a politician, he will cry out that war is a waste of life, as a philosopher, that all life is a waste of time. [He] goes to a political meeting, where he complains that savages are treated as if they were beasts; then he takes his hat and umbrella and goes on to a scientific meeting, where he proves that they practically are beasts. In short, the modern revolutionist, being an infinite sceptic, is always engaged in undermining his own mines. In his book on politics he attacks men for trampling on morality; in his book on ethics he attacks morality for trampling on men. Therefore the modern man in revolt has become practically useless for all purposes of revolt. By rebelling against everything he has lost his right to rebel against anything.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    There is a lot to do. Somehow ESO nailed the keep players busy factor
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • nightscarnightscar Member Posts: 31
    Originally posted by Ragnar1337
    This game is total garbage and all of these sites trying to sugar coat it are kind of embarrassing at this point. The game is a very poorly designed cash grab off the Elder Scrolls name and it will most certainly be the biggest flop of 2014. When will these studios try to actually make a good game rather than make a big budget marketing hype campaign that crashes and burns in the first year? As long as fanboys keep throwing money at trash like ESO we will keep getting games like this. 

Well arnt you just a happy little flower.

I love people like this, if ou hate the game then goodbye.. leave.

k?

thxs!

bye!

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955

"Hopefully XP on the mobs inside will be rebalanced one day for those who do like to grind."

Hopefully not, grinding is the bane of MMOs. When ESO was in the design stage they said they wanted to steer clear of grinding gameplay. If you want to grind, ESO is not a game for you.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001
    Originally posted by Scot

"Hopefully XP on the mobs inside will be rebalanced one day for those who do like to grind."

Hopefully not, grinding is the bane of MMOs. When ESO was in the design stage they said they wanted to steer clear of grinding gameplay. If you want to grind, ESO is not a game for you.

I'll disagree, I enjoy it.

And if they did "rebalance" so one could grind I don't really see the issue as one could do the quests OR "grind". t's only a grind if one thinks it's a grind, remember that.

Doing quests can also be "a grind".

Last night I stopped doing quests just so I could stay in an area and kill monsters as I sort of "wanted to do something".

I think that's the real issue with quests. Though I think Elder Scroll ONlines quests are the best (though the Secret World has more thinking involved in many of theirs) if one is only doing quests then one isn't really doing any combat. I suspect the desire to fight monsters is the desire to be in combat.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • MithrandolirMithrandolir Member UncommonPosts: 1,701

I consider myself lucky to have as little time as I do to play mmorpgs these days. I play so casually that I have managed to be in game since 3 day head start and have yet to experience any annoying bugs. I know that they're happening, and I feel that in no way should Zeni get a pass on these issues, they need to be held accountable for the blunders and I believe they'd be the first to agree with that.

With that said, I absolutely love the game. Bugs aside, much of what other's dislike about the game, I am finding myself loving. The combat, lack of AH, the quests, the crafting, the inventory management, the store, the lore, the rvr, etc.. I love all of it. I wish there was housing and I believe that someday there will be. I would love to see housing developments like in DAoC where players could stage consignment vendors and people would have to browse house to house to find wares. Either that or have 3 different realm markets and have rvr supply routes be contested which would drive taxation and broker fees or something... 

For me there's enough that I truly love about the game that it will last along time. I feel that Zenimax has the same vision for the game that I want out of it, and because of that i can only see it getting better. If I am wrong, I will have easily gotten a tremendous value for my time and money. For those experiencing major issues, I hope that the team moves swiftly to correct these things, as well as communicates clearly while doing it. I don't forgive them for some of the big issues, but I certainly can't take away from how great of a game they've created either.

• winterwinter Member UncommonPosts: 2,281
    Originally posted by Yoda_Clone

It's really unfortunate: way back when, this was one of the most honest gaming sites on the web. Money corrupts.

Bill Murphy is a symptom of the problem at MMORPG.com, not the cause.  The web site treats major advertisers with kid gloves, and in doing so, effectively endorses those advertisers' fraudulent business practices.  As such, they are their own worse enemy; MMORPG.com risks losing its forum-goers -- like so many other sites -- because it has lost all credibility as an unbiased and objective game-reviewing site.  No web hits means no advertising dollars.

Whether talking about BioWare's SW-TOR or Zenimax's ESO, the games were not ready for release.  Period.  Neither game was adequately tested; both games had/have not just bugs, but major design flaws; both games were released when they were, I suspect, as "cash-grabs" because the development teams had overspent their budgets (probably a large portion of that on voice-overs and marketing hype).

No tap-dancing around the issues can change reality.  No "soft porn" review can cloud the reality of what players are experiencing.  It's not just the number of bugs that are an issue, it's the extraordinary variation of types of bugs which suggest this game was very poorly tested... not just in Beta, but also in Alpha, which suggests a very unprofessional development team.

Really do you play the game at all??? Or are you just spouting whatever argument you read on the internet as truth? I actually play the game have for 2 weeks now probably 40+ hours. Now maybe I'm just super lucky but I haven't run into any game breaking bugs, in fact since actual release (not early access) I can honestly say the only bug I may have run into in sound cutting out during some cut scenes and most likely its my drivers not being up to date. (relogging always fixes the problem)

But you and a few other Non-players come shouting how there are millions of bugs and how almost everyone is effected because you read some post from unknown internet poster Xs. Seriously If their were as many bugs as you like to claim Id expect to hear about it in game, but I can't say I have. In fact in game chat seems pretty damn positive about the game with people having fun.

Sorry but in the end I'll take my own experience over you and your non-playing crowd bellowing about what some stranger on the internet posted with no proof. The only thread I've seen here at MMORPG where the poster actually posted his system showed the problem not to be bugs but that his systems power source was way under par for the system he was running

• PanzerbasePanzerbase Member Posts: 423
    Originally posted by winter
    Originally posted by Yoda_Clone

Really do you play the game at all??? Or are you just spouting whatever argument you read on the internet as truth? I actually play the game have for 2 weeks now probably 40+ hours. Now maybe I'm just super lucky but I haven't run into any game breaking bugs, in fact since actual release (not early access) I can honestly say the only bug I may have run into in sound cutting out during some cut scenes and most likely its my drivers not being up to date. (relogging always fixes the problem)

But you and a few other Non-players come shouting how there are millions of bugs and how almost everyone is effected because you read some post from unknown internet poster Xs. Seriously If their were as many bugs as you like to claim Id expect to hear about it in game, but I can't say I have. In fact in game chat seems pretty damn positive about the game with people having fun.

Sorry but in the end I'll take my own experience over you and your non-playing crowd bellowing about what some stranger on the internet posted with no proof. The only thread I've seen here at MMORPG where the poster actually posted his system showed the problem not to be bugs but that his systems power source was way under par for the system he was running

You assume they are not playing and there are hundreds if not thousands of posts across the internet pointing to the same problems. I guess you truly are super lucky. Must be nice being so lucky as you walk around with rose-colored sunglasses.