Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Citing bad sales, will ESO survive with console sales?

Comments

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Originally posted by Zalmon
    Originally posted by bcbully

Disappointing OP, in all your years this is as close to lying as you have ever been.

I think it's a pretty safe bet that 10-20 times more people hit the Online DL button fresh from Bethesda, like me.

OP should be required to put PHYSICAL BOX COPIES ONLY at the bottom of the OP.

Yes lets rubbish OP's speculative numbers with more made up numbers. That will make this even right? lol

But wait!

OK, so here WOULD HAVE BEEN a good example of a post that might support a case against OP.

BUT!

Whenever I see something like "I think it's safe to say...........", whatever follows "I think it's safe to say" is made up.

So, you combat speculation numbers with speculation?

What BC should have said was "OP, this doesn't account for digital purchases." and left it at that. I think we all understand thee is a huge player base that buys direct. I do. But where did that 10-20 times more come from? Is it? Is it really 10-20? Could it be 5? What if it's 30?

• ohioastroohioastro Member UncommonPosts: 534
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer

I personally have no investment in TESO other than to sit on the fence and wait this out. If after a few months, TESO still has the majority of it's subscribers staying on-board and are happily playing, then I'll buy the game. I've been in too many new releases where the game looks great at 1st but then at endgame, falls apart. So for me, and those like me, I want to evaluate everyone's viewpoints. I want to see what players have to say that's great about TESO and what players are saying is wrong with TESO. Ultimately, I really do want to play TESO, but not if I'm not going to be playing it long term. There are better short term games if I will only play for a month or 2. So, this thread is of interest to me.

However, what I am seeing a lot of, are people  trying to "expose" the OP as having an agenda against TESO. That is nothing more than a collective Ad-Hom here. And historically, speaking, when I see Ad-Hom against an OP, it means someone doesn't know how to deal with the OP's statements. So, the best way to "expose" the OP is to prove him wrong. Otherwise Ad-Homs actually support OP because it is like saying.

"Oh he's at it again, I can't deal with this. I wish he'd just shut up and go away."

Personally, I don't care what his personal view is, but if there is data that shows sales trends, that is important be it positive or negative. (or accurate or inaccurate)

I always take your approach with single player games.  MMOs are a bit different - the launch experience is a collective one, so the game that you play if you wait is frequently not the same experience as the launch one.  This can be good (discovering fun things together before there are guides all over the web) or bad (bugs, etc.) I think the good outweighs the bad here.

The source the OP was quoting is utterly unreliable.  Zen sold many copies direct from their website (remember, you got 2 extra pre-order days with a direct purchase); does anyone believe that they leaked the numbers for that to this site?  Especially if they were low?  Digital sales in general are incredibly difficult to pin down.  I doubt this topic in every single game where I see it because people use them to validate their opinion of the game (I hate it, therefore low sales; I love it, therefore high.)  What's the point?

When you add in the OP advocating that multiple games drop subscription charges you have a clear agenda identified.  But, if it matters, the discussion is fruitless regardless.

Originally posted by ohioastro

I personally have no investment in TESO other than to sit on the fence and wait this out. If after a few months, TESO still has the majority of it's subscribers staying on-board and are happily playing, then I'll buy the game. I've been in too many new releases where the game looks great at 1st but then at endgame, falls apart. So for me, and those like me, I want to evaluate everyone's viewpoints. I want to see what players have to say that's great about TESO and what players are saying is wrong with TESO. Ultimately, I really do want to play TESO, but not if I'm not going to be playing it long term. There are better short term games if I will only play for a month or 2. So, this thread is of interest to me.

However, what I am seeing a lot of, are people  trying to "expose" the OP as having an agenda against TESO. That is nothing more than a collective Ad-Hom here. And historically, speaking, when I see Ad-Hom against an OP, it means someone doesn't know how to deal with the OP's statements. So, the best way to "expose" the OP is to prove him wrong. Otherwise Ad-Homs actually support OP because it is like saying.

"Oh he's at it again, I can't deal with this. I wish he'd just shut up and go away."

Personally, I don't care what his personal view is, but if there is data that shows sales trends, that is important be it positive or negative. (or accurate or inaccurate)

I always take your approach with single player games.  MMOs are a bit different - the launch experience is a collective one, so the game that you play if you wait is frequently not the same experience as the launch one.  This can be good (discovering fun things together before there are guides all over the web) or bad (bugs, etc.) I think the good outweighs the bad here.

The source the OP was quoting is utterly unreliable.  Zen sold many copies direct from their website (remember, you got 2 extra pre-order days with a direct purchase); does anyone believe that they leaked the numbers for that to this site?  Especially if they were low?  Digital sales in general are incredibly difficult to pin down.  I doubt this topic in every single game where I see it because people use them to validate their opinion of the game (I hate it, therefore low sales; I love it, therefore high.)  What's the point?

When you add in the OP advocating that multiple games drop subscription charges you have a clear agenda identified.  But, if it matters, the discussion is fruitless regardless.

Then this should be the focus of the counter posts to the OP. Showing the unreliability of the source.

• ZalmonZalmon Member Posts: 319
    Originally posted by Aeonblades
    Bad sales? The game sold 1.5 million on opening weekend. I don't see how this is bad at all.

And your source for this factual information is? please share it with us.

• coorsguyscoorsguys Member Posts: 272
    Bad sales? The game sold 1.5 million on opening weekend. I don't see how this is bad at all.

Well this thread is not based off factual information why does anyone need to post factual information to counter information that is not factual to begin with? 

• RattenmannRattenmann Member UncommonPosts: 613

While i dislike ESO i doubt anything that forbes predics is of any value whatsoever.

AAA MMOs are out of fashion? Sub games out of fashion? Not with the players. Crap games are out of fashion, not games with high budget. A high budget should enable devs to make a non crappy game tho... sadly THAT is the lacking part.

MMOs finally replaced social interaction, forced grouping and standing in a line while talking to eachother.

Now we have forced soloing, forced questing and everyone is the hero, without ever having to talk to anyone else. The evolution of multiplayer is here! We won,... right?

• obocoboc Member UncommonPosts: 189
    Lot's of crazy made up numbers here . This kinda info isn't gonna push Zen to open any true numbers atm. We'll truly see how well they did and are doing after console releases. 
    Originally posted by coorsguys

Well this thread is not based off factual information why does anyone need to post factual information to counter information that is not factual to begin with? 

I understand your point. And that you feel the OP is not presenting his data in an objective manor. But, did you really just suggest that the best way to deal with false data is with more false data?

• HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411
    Are you suggesting that other posters come under different scrutiny than the OP? And we start the cycle.
  • coorsguyscoorsguys Member Posts: 272

I understand your point. And that you feel the OP is not presenting his data in an objective manor. But, did you really just suggest that the best way to deal with false data is with more false data?

No not at all, just saying if someone is going to question another posters information well you better question the OPs info also.  

• AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083

No not at all, just saying if someone is going to question another posters information well you better question the OPs info also.  

I mean if we are just gonna make up numbers here and use sites that don't even measure a majority of sales to extrapolate false numbers to make a game look bad because you don't want it to succeed, I figured I might as well get in on the imagination express here.

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

• LugorsLugors Member UncommonPosts: 184

Sales estimates are just that, estimates.  One methodology will be as good as another.  Zenimax will never release raw numbers of purchases or subscriptions unless they exceed expectations and help the public image of the company.  It seems to be common practice to put out data that really doesn’t mean much, like number of herbs picked by the player base, or quests completed, or bank slots lost.

With that lack of transparency, and I believe Zenimax is not publicly traded, you will never get a quarterly release to investors on how good, bad or otherwise an individual game in their portfolio is doing. 

Why the numbers matter to community should be fairly obvious.  A MMO needs people playing to work.  Single player content is needed, but the experience will be lacking if I can never find people to do group content with. 

So for all those poo pooing the OP, what methodology would you recommend to estimate the player base when Zenimax will never be forthcoming with the data?

• BetaBlockaBetaBlocka Member Posts: 222

I mean if we are just gonna make up numbers here and use sites that don't even measure a majority of sales to extrapolate false numbers to make a game look bad because you don't want it to succeed, I figured I might as well get in on the imagination express here.

Whereas any numbers that ZOS release in relation to sales will be accurate and trustworthy right?

Riiight....?

Originally posted by BetaBlocka

Whereas any numbers that ZOS release in relation to sales will be accurate and trustworthy right?

Riiight....?

More trustworthy than the garbage sites people like to cite on here.

• CouganCougan Member UncommonPosts: 422

Riiight....?

A quick google search of "what digital sales does vgchartz include" shows they dont in fact include any, based on the multitude of sites/games where this question was asked.

So that would throw the OP's "sales" out of the window

• amber-ramber-r Member Posts: 323

Posted this in the other topic but worth putting here too.

http://tamrielfoundry.com/topic/elder-scrolls-online-sales-figures/

The VGchartz numbers are 1 day only and more importantly they don't show any digital sales (including any digital pre-orders).  They only have physical sales from stores they contacted, they update figures to be more accurate whenever actual figures are given from the companies.

• BRacilaBRacila Member UncommonPosts: 16

Ok this is getting stupid, VGChatz is not reliable at ALL till after official sales data is released. VGChartz are ESTIMATES that they make up and typically have anywhere from a 20 to 60% miss on everything they post. There is a reason sites like neogaf have banned VGChartz from being link or even disucssed because it is not reliabe at all in any sense. They had Xbox One beating PS4 last month, but lowe and behold PS4 comes out ahead by over 60,000 for the month of March, they go back and "update" their numbers all the time when official numbers are released to look better.

Everyone needs to stop quoting or looking at VGChartz.

• Moxom914Moxom914 Member RarePosts: 731

Originally posted by Karteli
    It's OK.  I know you all just want to repeat what everyone else says about digital sales. But they are included.  You can read VGChartz's manifest and you can evaluate the final numbers when they were updated. You can also observe Xfire if you are in denial.  #23?  And SWTOR is #15,,,, call conspiracy all you wish (http://www.xfire.com/games) .. but ESO PC sales were not so hot. That source will never give an exact number of players but it is useful for trending.  And ESO is trending low. Zenimax never gave numbers?  I wonder why? All I'm saying is that the console sales will be better .. maybe?

u again? seriously man. xfire? really? people still use that? i did 8 years ago. i played wow then. quit xfire but kept playing wow for a few more years. xfire numbers r crap.
    on a different note, y r u so concerned about numbers? just play or dont but move on

If ZOS officially releases bad numbers that could be bad for the company. Caught lying in what couldbe considered advertisement or investor info.....is a no no if you want to have access to cash in the future.
    Originally posted by Cougan

Riiight....?

A quick google search of "what digital sales does vgchartz include" shows they dont in fact include any, based on the multitude of sites/games where this question was asked.

So that would throw the OP's "sales" out of the window

This right here. Do a little research people, it's not even a fraction of the actual sales on vgchartz.

Riiight....?

They'd be official.....at least.

I know, you can say so were Ken Lay's and Bernie Madoff's ,But that's another issue.

• Moxom914Moxom914 Member RarePosts: 731

Originally posted by Karteli
    Originally posted by amber-r The VGchartz numbers are based on 1 single days sales.   ESO came out on the 4th and those sales are listed on the 5th.
    They are to date.

Unless, of course, you think all these Super Mario Bros games sold just today also?

http://www.vgchartz.com/gamedb/?name=super+mario

Dang Super Mario Bros 3 sold 17 million copies today?

ps - yeah you can type stuff in the search bar to find old sales.

so i looked at ur chart just to c what ur usin. isnt wow finally being played in japan? i may b wrong but i thought it was finally allowed. this chart says 0. like i said though, i may b wrong.

• RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785

Yes, let's use xfire . . . because ESO has 183 players. That makes sense.

Also Titanfall has 246 players! These sample sizes are amazing!

Holy crap. I ignored over half the 183 players.
  • ckeeton999ckeeton999 Member CommonPosts: 53
    Karteli. You lost credibility when you cited XFIRE. lol really? Xfire? Guess what? Not everyone uses xfire!
This discussion has been closed.