Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Thinking of Playing EvE? Perhaps reconsider.

Comments

• LydonLydon Member UncommonPosts: 2,938
    That doesn't sound very fun at all :/ I've had a couple of experiences with Eve...never really got into it though. I definitely won't make any effort to get involved in it in future after reading this, though.
  • HazelleHazelle Member Posts: 760
    Originally posted by Quesa
    Originally posted by Hazelle
    Originally posted by hfztt
    Originally posted by jeralan
    Can anyone recommend an alternative to Eve, where players are allowed to  play in peace?

Elite: Dangerous and likely Star Citizen will deliver what you are looking for. They will both support game modes that support that playstyle.

Happy to inform you that according to the blog by the person making Star Citizen; it's going to discourage griefing thru ingame mechanics not by preventing it from happening.

What other game does that?  Hmmmmmmmmm....

Infact, he's stolen most of his death mechanics from eve online except that in star citizen there's perma death.  WHAT?!!?!?!

Yep, permanent death; you read that correctly.

So, not only is there griefing but you can permanently kill player characters too.

I'm afraid Star Citizen isn't going to be the game for you either...

And they do this because, "the character that you are leveling up and customizing is really your spaceship. Your avatar is really just a visual representation of your in-game character" which means losing your actual avatar isn't all as horrible as you attempt to make it seem.  Since your in-game character is just a visual representation of 'you', "the loss of your character is more a cosmetic and textural outcome, especially as almost all of the assets you’ve worked hard to accumulate pass on to the beneficiary that you specified when creating your original character".

So what may be described as a "permanent death" of your avatar, it's not really a 'perma-death' game mechanic.

Things could obviously change though...

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/engineering/12879-Death-Of-A-Spaceman

In eve you keep your name but lose your ship.

In star citizen you keep your ship but lose your name.

Both are trivial.

However, both are too unpleasent for the sort of gamers that want to be left alone in a game that is designed for and allows for PvP.

And that's the point.

• BailoPan15BailoPan15 Member Posts: 410
    Originally posted by Akerbeltz
    Originally posted by BailoPan15
    Originally posted by DrunkWolf

it reminds me of how people treat each other in real life.

You need to get out of the basement. People do not treat each other like that...

Aaah, the irony...

Nah I'm pretty sure people do not act like keyboard warriors outdoors, since I work with people but oh hey, a forum troll that hasn't seen the sunlight in weeks should know better right? :) 

Infact I'm pretty damn sure that all those "evil" goonswarm guys are some depressed emo kids. But that's just me

• AkerbeltzAkerbeltz Member UncommonPosts: 170
    Originally posted by Akerbeltz
    Originally posted by DrunkWolf

it reminds me of how people treat each other in real life.

You need to get out of the basement. People do not treat each other like that...

Aaah, the irony...

Nah I'm pretty sure people do not act like keyboard warriors outdoors, since I work with people but oh hey, a forum troll that hasn't seen the sunlight in weeks should know better right? :) 

Infact I'm pretty damn sure that all those "evil" goonswarm guys are some depressed emo kids. But that's just me

Your statement is strong on assumptions, speculations, dishonesty/ignorance and ill will. No offense, but it's bullshit.

Since, as you put it, your main source of human interaction is that you "work with people" (congrats for that!), I guess concepts such as joint ventures, alliances, backstabbing, friendship, enmity, political intriguing, lobbying are not unknown to you - very specially if you have a minimum degree of responsibility in a private company.

Which is precisely the raison d'etre of EVE: a representation of human relationships in the competitive universe defined by the game's lore. And this is, I suspect, the reason because some people display a visceral hate towards everything related to EVE: Just an excuse for their ineptitude and incompetence with regards to this sort of interactions. But hey, that's just me ;)

Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

• UhwopUhwop Member UncommonPosts: 1,791

I like seeing people condemn a game on the basis that its community is full of mean people, by belittling others.  

There are some professional hypocrites in this thread.  

• QuesaQuesa Member UncommonPosts: 1,432
    Originally posted by Quesa
    Originally posted by hfztt
    Originally posted by jeralan
    Can anyone recommend an alternative to Eve, where players are allowed to  play in peace?

Elite: Dangerous and likely Star Citizen will deliver what you are looking for. They will both support game modes that support that playstyle.

Happy to inform you that according to the blog by the person making Star Citizen; it's going to discourage griefing thru ingame mechanics not by preventing it from happening.

What other game does that?  Hmmmmmmmmm....

Infact, he's stolen most of his death mechanics from eve online except that in star citizen there's perma death.  WHAT?!!?!?!

Yep, permanent death; you read that correctly.

So, not only is there griefing but you can permanently kill player characters too.

I'm afraid Star Citizen isn't going to be the game for you either...

And they do this because, "the character that you are leveling up and customizing is really your spaceship. Your avatar is really just a visual representation of your in-game character" which means losing your actual avatar isn't all as horrible as you attempt to make it seem.  Since your in-game character is just a visual representation of 'you', "the loss of your character is more a cosmetic and textural outcome, especially as almost all of the assets you’ve worked hard to accumulate pass on to the beneficiary that you specified when creating your original character".

So what may be described as a "permanent death" of your avatar, it's not really a 'perma-death' game mechanic.

Things could obviously change though...

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/engineering/12879-Death-Of-A-Spaceman

In eve you keep your name but lose your ship.

In star citizen you keep your ship but lose your name.

Both are trivial.

However, both are too unpleasent for the sort of gamers that want to be left alone in a game that is designed for and allows for PvP.

And that's the point.

Actually, you're point was to make a shock statement using 'permadeath' as your tag-word because it's not really permanent death, now is it...

...and before you go off on a ridiculous 'splitting hairs' argument, you don't end all of your progress and start over from scratch.

Star Citizen Referral Code: STAR-DPBM-Z2P4
  • AkerbeltzAkerbeltz Member UncommonPosts: 170
    Originally posted by Uhwop

I like seeing people condemn a game on the basis that its community is full of mean people, by belittling others.  

There are some professional hypocrites in this thread.  

Exactly, exactly. Every time I take a look at a thread about EVE, about sandboxes or about anything related to OWPvP, a "curious" phenomenon happens: All the critics of the aforementioned - in the name of fairness, convenience, a sense of "whiteknightess" or moral superiority or God knows wtf - resort to insults, misconceptions, assumptions, and display an alarming level of ignorance a/o aggressivity.

Reminds me of the religious fundamentalists: Preaching virtues and to love your brothers and sisters, while condemning other human beings to brutal tortures and executions. Witch hunters and inquisitors of the worst category.

I'm not sure whether they do this because they are professional hypocrites (as you so well have put it), because they pathological cynics, or ignorant or just dumb. What I'm sure is this level of dishonesty a/o stupidity  make me sick.

Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

• Mors.MagneMors.Magne Member UncommonPosts: 1,549

I've been a victim of a GoonSwarm scam (I lost a billion ISK because of it). I don't think that this sort of behaviour is a bad thing - it makes the game more interesting.

However, I don't advise continuing with Eve simply because there are better games on the horizon. Elite: Dangerous should be a better game and it's scheduled to be released roughly this September.

Eve is entertaining, but it's no longer going anywhere as a game. All the new additions are not much more than maintenance, and there is no scope for anything significant to be added.

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731
    Originally posted by Mors.Magne

I've been a victim of a GoonSwarm scam (I lost a billion ISK because of it). I don't think that this sort of behaviour is a bad thing - it makes the game more interesting.

However, I don't advise continuing with Eve simply because there are better games on the horizon. Elite: Dangerous should be a better game and it's scheduled to be released roughly this September.

Eve is entertaining, but it's no longer going anywhere as a game. All the new additions are not much more than maintenance, and there is no scope for anything significant to be added.

It's scheduled for the end of this year, I pre-ordered it but anything can happen to delay it further.

EVE is entertaining but not going anywhere? Really?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFTUazuGdTw

Coupled with the fact that they've shifted to a much more aggressive expansion system (10-12 content patches per year by what I understand instead of 2 expansions) tells me that EVE is far from maintenance mode. True currently they're polishing off their existing features (the ship re-balance for example) but they've also been introducing things gradually as well and once that polishing is done with well....at least new areas of the map opening up though if the design on that gate is to be believed accurate that's a Talocan derived, IE the guys who had astronomically long distance jump gates based on artificial wormholes (current wormhole space is littered with talocan wreckage even though that space is said to be within another galaxy),gate.

• mark2123mark2123 Member UncommonPosts: 450
    I played Eve for a month and was just learning how to play when Goonswarm invited me into their Corp. offering to carry all my stuff to their base, I went along with it as I thought the learnng curve meant I needed a hand. I lost the lot and ended up in a pod with nothing. I quit. I won't be back. If CCP want to get new players and keep them, then they need to think about putting in place a system to protect them from wasting a month of their time. I heard that high sec space was meant to be safe until corps have worked around it. Now, new players are just easy prey. One day, the game will need new blood and it will not be encouraged to be there. The people who run this game are lucky to have veterans to stick around. Without them, I think the game would be doomed.
  • DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802
    Originally posted by mark2123
    I played Eve for a month and was just learning how to play when Goonswarm invited me into their Corp. offering to carry all my stuff to their base, I went along with it as I thought the learnng curve meant I needed a hand. I lost the lot and ended up in a pod with nothing. I quit. I won't be back. If CCP want to get new players and keep them, then they need to think about putting in place a system to protect them from wasting a month of their time. I heard that high sec space was meant to be safe until corps have worked around it. Now, new players are just easy prey. One day, the game will need new blood and it will not be encouraged to be there. The people who run this game are lucky to have veterans to stick around. Without them, I think the game would be doomed.

I will never try this game and the stories about the community and especially Goonswarm are the reason for this.

So I kind of wonder how you could fall for this since they are infamous for ripping people off.

At the same time it's clear that you as starter only had stuff that is worth next to nothing compared to their wealth so they only did this to grief you.

And that is EVE in a nutshell.

Harbinger of Fools
  • KrematoryKrematory Member UncommonPosts: 608
    Originally posted by Dakeru

Said someone after saying he never played the game. GG.

"EVE is likely the best MMORPG that you've never really understood or played" - Kyleran

• mayito7777mayito7777 Member UncommonPosts: 768
    I played EVE for few months and what the OP says is the true story and nature of  EVE, ganking and griefing are two of the worst forms of mental rape, when you put someone down to the point that you force that person to quit the game and that person is unable to do anything against those who abuse them is a form of rape.

want 7 free days of playing? Try this

http://www.swtor.com/r/ZptVnY

Originally posted by Krematory

Says someone who has seen enough threads like this.

EVE is for people who feel miserable in daily life and who find joy in making other people feel just as miserable on a game where they are "kings"

Harbinger of Fools

EVE is for people who feel miserable in daily life and who find joy in making other people feel just as miserable on a game where they are "kings"

Threads like this, threads like "I want game X to fail because I do not like it!" and "This game sucks because it isn't the same as others!" are a dime a fucking dozen on this forum. World of Warcraft would've died in a pit of flaming syphilis tainted needles if the sheer amount of hate that was thrown around at it on here was any indication of reality. The fact you put more credence in what others say than trying the game out for yourself is a statement upon you not the game or even the community here or over in EVE.

• KrematoryKrematory Member UncommonPosts: 608

Well thanks for the personal attack, I hope you feel much better now :) have a nice day.

"EVE is likely the best MMORPG that you've never really understood or played" - Kyleran

• PaskePaske Member UncommonPosts: 135

Im sorry, but did you start a thread with discussion about a person being killed in EVE ?

Fact he has cancer has nothing to do with game itself.

EVE is a different beast all together. There is no dev nor GM holding your hand while you quiver over dangerous are when you might *GASP* loose your ship.

While playing you are that character in game - sick / rich/poor/ what have you IRL has no impact in game. It should never have any kind of impact in game.

Your in highsec corp and wardeced? Cant undock because there are 20 ships waiting to kill you ? Welcome to EVE.

There are plenty other games out there that are more player friendly. In EVE you take responsibility for your actions. If someone scams you / kills you / steals from you - your own damn fault.

An in depth article from 2011. regarding death of once untouchable power block in EVE

http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/games/88121-metagaming-in-eve

PVP, spying, scaming - that is EVE.

EVE is a game.

What you do or what you are IRL has no meaning in game. It is irrelevant.

Yeah silly me, why do I believe the people who post that as soon as they started they were ripped off or killed or whatever.

All those people - they are all lying.

EVE is very friendly to new players and the old players will help you during your puppy phase.

Obviously a game company that encourages scamming creates a friendly environment.

Harbinger of Fools
  • DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926
    Originally posted by Ikonoclastia

Griefing  

stopped reading here

Not every online game needs to be carebear heaven with artificial barriers and gamey safemode mechanics. Some people prefer sandbox gameplay. Get over it.

Just pick one of the shovelware casual themeparks that protect you from any meaningful or remotely interesting multiplayer interaction and be happy with it.

• neve1272neve1272 Member UncommonPosts: 44

someday there will be some unstable person do something horrible and people will come after game developers ....

and we will all lose

there needs to be accountability  to at least protect the game makers

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,500
    Originally posted by mark2123

EVE can teach you many valuable lessons, all a matter of what you learn from them, in your case you missed it.

There's no denying there's great evil in the game, and it breeds tremendous good as well. As someone else said, best player community I ever ran into is in EVE, banding together in a common cause is one of the best social motivators.

EVE is likely the best MMORPG that you've never really understood or played.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• PaskePaske Member UncommonPosts: 135

Yeah silly me, why do I believe the people who post that as soon as they started they were ripped off or killed or whatever.

EVE is very friendly to new players and the old players will help you during your puppy phase.

Obviously a game company that encourages scamming creates a friendly environment.

There is a difference between encourage and allow.

And for that matter there is player driven community for new players - EVE Uni

http://www.eveuniversity.org/

Its a player driven alliance with goal of helping new players in EVE.

US government allows guns in civilian hands. Every US citizen is a blood crazed lunatic with weapons that is just waiting for a chance to kill us all.

People are riped of because they are stupid. Simple Darwinisam at work.

Send me your ISK and I will double it. OMG I got scammed ! ROFL.

• Mors.MagneMors.Magne Member UncommonPosts: 1,549

This discussion is almost irrelevant because Eve Online is coming to the end of it's life cycle anyway.

Elite: Dangerous, which releases roughly this September, is looking like much the better game. It's a no-brainer, really.

Nope, they allow it as they allow people who make a friendly community for all (like someone mentioned already: EVE Uni which protects its members and fields pretty deadly PvP fleets in response to griefers and I do not know in their entire history if Goonswarm even ever tried to dick around with them so yes there outliers in both directions).

And yes you are quite silly bringing opinions and experiences into a debate based on objective facts, Hell if you even played the game for a weeks, asked questions in noob chat, talked to eve uni reps, etc, you'd find that the dick to nice person ratio is above 1:1 with the rest just going about their own thing. The only difference between WoW and EVE in respect to shit like this is that WoW scammers will find a way to do it that will make you unable to go to Blizzard whereas CCP knows to be so intrusive on player behavior is to fuck with the sandbox nature of the game and has a strict "Keep it to in-game/to in-game personas" policy. They've banned people for proven cases of out of game harassment based on in-game behavior (depending on the resolution of the situation by the players themselves the ban could be temp or full on permanent).

Originally posted by Mors.Magne

This discussion is almost irrelevant because Eve Online is coming to the end of it's life cycle anyway.

Elite: Dangerous, which releases roughly this September, is looking like much the better game. It's a no-brainer, really.

No offense here but first off Elite is not an MMO, it has drop in drop out-type multiplayer but you can also play it completely offline and second off: Learn from the morons who've been championing WoW-killers since time immemorial that an MMO never dies because of competition, it dies because of mismanagement.

• mayito7777mayito7777 Member UncommonPosts: 768
    Originally posted by DocBrody
    Originally posted by Ikonoclastia

Griefing  

stopped reading here

Not every online game needs to be carebear heaven with artificial barriers and gamey safemode mechanics. Some people prefer sandbox gameplay. Get over it.

Just pick one of the shovelware casual themeparks that protect you from any meaningful or remotely interesting multiplayer interaction and be happy with it.

Seems you are one of those wonderful human beings who help old ladies cross the street. If you cannot sense the abuse that goes on in EVE what can I tell you or anyone else?

want 7 free days of playing? Try this

http://www.swtor.com/r/ZptVnY

This discussion has been closed.