Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Combat bugs out. Can't attack.

movros99movros99 Member UncommonPosts: 125

I'm wondering if this phenomena is happening to anybody else.

Oftentimes in combat there seems to be a bug where I'm not able to attack or use abilities for the remainder of the battle.  This usually occurs if I fail to avoid a telegraphed mob ability of some sort.  Now I'm not talking about a 3 second stun or anything normal like that.  My avatar becomes unable to use attacks or abilities for the rest of the battle no matter how long it lasts.

This has resulted in a number of deaths that I should not have had to endure and unnecessary repair costs.  Still there might be some game mechanic I'm missing thus I'm putting this out on the forums.  Either way, having one's ability to attack or use spells for the the remainder of a battle doesn't seem proper.

I look forward to hearing your thoughts on the matter.

Comments

• HarafnirHarafnir Member UncommonPosts: 1,350
    Happened 4 or 5 times, yes. I have not found a pattern why it is happening as of yet.

"This is not a game to be tossed aside lightly.
    It should be thrown with great force"

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    Yep, has happened to me 3 or 4 times I think, just pay the repair bill or sprint like heck.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• CoffeeBreakCoffeeBreak Member Posts: 236

Happened to me several times the first week, but not since.  Normally, if I hit Esc it would closeout whatever was locking the attacks.  

This week's annoying bug was my dragon knight sometimes getting locked in a dragon wing cocoon if I used the Dragon Leap Ultimate.  That seems to happen if there is a roof over you that interferes with the leap path.  Looked neat but not very helpful when enemies are attacking.

• Yoda_CloneYoda_Clone Member Posts: 219

Yup, I've had it happen.  Too often; in fact I'd say that most character deaths are due to bugs like this.  Really dissatisfying.

No apparent cause and effect relationship I can see.  I'm guessing some yo-yo didn't know how to code a multi-threaded application and the management team and marketers have been tap-dancing around the issues ever since.

• ohioastroohioastro Member UncommonPosts: 534
    I hit the mail key twice when this occurs (which happened a few times to me).  Escape works too, but is slower.  It seems to fix whatever is causing it.  I agree that it's odd.
  • darkness2468darkness2468 Member UncommonPosts: 47
    Not happened to me any of you ppl using addons becuase i use a crapload and no issues here EU megaserver.

• BjelarBjelar Member UncommonPosts: 398
    Originally posted by movros99

I'm wondering if this phenomena is happening to anybody else.

Oftentimes in combat there seems to be a bug where I'm not able to attack or use abilities for the remainder of the battle.  This usually occurs if I fail to avoid a telegraphed mob ability of some sort.  Now I'm not talking about a 3 second stun or anything normal like that.  My avatar becomes unable to use attacks or abilities for the rest of the battle no matter how long it lasts.

This has resulted in a number of deaths that I should not have had to endure and unnecessary repair costs.  Still there might be some game mechanic I'm missing thus I'm putting this out on the forums.  Either way, having one's ability to attack or use spells for the the remainder of a battle doesn't seem proper.

I look forward to hearing your thoughts on the matter.

Yes, this is common. It happens a lot if I cast a spell and lose LOS between casting and the LOS check.

Hitting "escape" and "return to game" solves it, so does opening your mail.

I have not opened my mailbox during combat this frequently since I quit my office job.

• movros99movros99 Member UncommonPosts: 125
    Good, it's not just me.
  • R1zlaR1zla Member Posts: 25
    I actually died to the very first mob you encounter in the game, in the coldharbour starter area, because of this bug. Not my finest mmo moment.........
  • RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785
    Haven't experienced this bug.
  • pappacubepappacube Member UncommonPosts: 99
    Happens to me too.  Not very often but often enough to hurt.  I've died a few times since i was unsure if i was just stunned or bugged. Even after death i still had to do a reloadui to correct it.  (i was like level 7 or so)
  • kakasakikakasaki Member UncommonPosts: 1,205
    Originally posted by darkness2468
    Not happened to me any of you ppl using addons becuase i use a crapload and no issues here EU megaserver.

Interesting point. I've never had it happen to me but I am using a fair bit of GUI mod addons. I still get the occasional bugged quest and a horrible memory leak problem after about 2 to 3 hours of constant play...

A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true...

• NellusNellus Member UncommonPosts: 247

I've had this happen a lot since the 4/11 downtime, so I've been playing a lot less. If I do play, its only until this occurs, and then I log for several hours, if not the day. It's cool, I'm a patient person - and I'm pretty sure it'll get fixed eventually. If not? Oh well, I've quit games, jobs, and relationships for dumber reasons.

Edit: Changed it, Tuesday isn't right. It must have been last Friday?

- Nellus

• RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785
    Originally posted by Slackker
    I've had this happen a lot since the 4/11 downtime, so I've been playing a lot less. If I do play, its only until this occurs, and then I log for several hours, if not the day. It's cool, I'm a patient person - and I'm pretty sure it'll get fixed eventually. If not? Oh well, I've quit games, jobs, and relationships for dumber reasons.

You've quit a job for a dumber reason that quitting a video game because of a bug that doesn't let you attack?

That's actually kind of impressive, I'm trying to imagine someone walking in and saying "Good morning" but saying it, "Gooood Morning." And then you jump up and say, I quit and walk out the door.

• maendrosmaendros Member UncommonPosts: 26
    yes it happened 5-6 times for me too. It can be fixed immediately with alt-tab
  • Trudge34Trudge34 Member UncommonPosts: 392
    Originally posted by maendros
    yes it happened 5-6 times for me too. It can be fixed immediately with alt-tab

Just beat me to it. Had this happen after alt+tabbing out to check something. Just alt+tabbed out and back in quick and it was fixed.

Played: EQ1 (10 Years), Guild Wars, Rift, TERA
    Tried: EQ2, Vanguard, Lord of the Rings Online, Dungeons and Dragons Online, Runes of Magic and countless others...
    Currently Playing: GW2

Nytlok Sylas
    80 Sylvari Ranger

• fineflufffinefluff Member RarePosts: 561
    This happened to me too 2 or 3 times when I used the dragon leap ability. My character would just be stuck hunched over with wings popping out of his back, still able to move around, but unable to do anything else. 
  • DarwaDarwa Member UncommonPosts: 2,181

It's a problem with the UI. Typing /reload will fix it for a while.

I haven't figured out what triggers it yet though.

• ReticulataReticulata Member UncommonPosts: 98

Happens to me all the time. Just died 3 times on last boss today. I use zero add ons.

One thing I noticed that does trigger it is when I am running circles around a mob while casting at it. It will perma break all hotkeys.

Today I was just standing there not moving, casting though..so random.

Spamming the ' mail key a few times fixed it once when I tried.

SOE changes name to Daybreak games, cause dey break games.
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    I hate it. It happens at the worst times for me. If the combat was more solid I could tolerate a lot more of the other wrong things.  When combat is janky/not working I notice EVERYTHING else wrong with ESO.
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • nate1980nate1980 Member UncommonPosts: 2,063
    Hasn't happened to me in about a week, but it has happened a few times. I found that by hitting "Alt" it returns me to the fight. It's bugs like this among many other things that's resulted in my decision to cancel my reoccurring subscription.
  • BigdaddyxBigdaddyx Member UncommonPosts: 2,039
    Originally posted by nate1980
    Hasn't happened to me in about a week, but it has happened a few times. I found that by hitting "Alt" it returns me to the fight. It's bugs like this among many other things that's resulted in my decision to cancel my reoccurring subscription.

"Esc' also works. And yes it can be really frustrating when you are doing well at a boss fight and you die due to this bug.

• KnotwoodKnotwood Member CommonPosts: 1,103
    Its the Awesomium program that keeps running in the background,  I just deleted the Awesomeium.exe and closed the launcher while playing and haven't seen that bug since.
  • delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    Several times here, cant attack, movement is extremely slow, and get killed.  But also when I respawn I'm still slow.  I have to log off and on to fix it. Can't nail down when it will happen......
  • DaxamarDaxamar Member UncommonPosts: 593

Happened to me and a few friends quite a bit. Its very annoying. I think, maybe, it has to do with not closing the launcher and running it in the background. About 50% sure this is it.