Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Price of ESO has gone down

1235»

Comments

• BoraellBoraell Member UncommonPosts: 97

Whether its gone down in price to £20 at one retail store or not is irrelevant. It could be this particular store bought alot more stock than it needed and is trying to get rid of it, even if its at cost. The price at Game's online website is still the same and the price in the Game store I passed this morning is still the same.

Considering the chain is only recently out of administration after closing over 2/3rd of its stores neither the fans or the haters should be reading so much into this.

P.S. even before release could get it on key only sites for £20-£30, just as the same sites are offering the likes of Titanfall for £28.99, and Dark Souls 2 for £24.99...oh no, they must be pants toooooo!!!

• safire312safire312 Member UncommonPosts: 26
    At the end of the day, its us who have this game cheaper, not bad for pay2play game, so i dont see point in this thread anymore, just post there cheap offerings.
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Originally posted by Rusque

ITT people cannot comprehend the difference between independent retailers and manufacturer pricing.

If a pair of Nikes costs $5 to make, that does not mean they cost $5. Nike stores might sell those shoes for $200, foot locker might sell them for $180, Mr. Smith's Shoe Closet might sell them for $99.

Retailers purchase product at a certain rate, the manufacturer may have a suggested retail price (MSRP) but it's up to the retailer to mark the price within their own margins.

If Jimmy Bob's Game Emporium wanted to sell a standard edition ESO boxed game for $750 they could. It doesn't mean anyone would buy it, but they are more than welcome to put it up at that price.

This thread. SMH.

But you forgot to factor in supply and demand. Since we are talking about retail, we are talking boxed copies...physical copies. In the law of supply and demand, if the demand goes up, so does the price, if the demand goes down......so does the price. Maybe these retailers ordered more copies than they sold and now these retailers are overstocked because the demand at MSRP just isn't there? 

• RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer

ITT people cannot comprehend the difference between independent retailers and manufacturer pricing.

If a pair of Nikes costs $5 to make, that does not mean they cost $5. Nike stores might sell those shoes for $200, foot locker might sell them for $180, Mr. Smith's Shoe Closet might sell them for $99.

Retailers purchase product at a certain rate, the manufacturer may have a suggested retail price (MSRP) but it's up to the retailer to mark the price within their own margins.

If Jimmy Bob's Game Emporium wanted to sell a standard edition ESO boxed game for $750 they could. It doesn't mean anyone would buy it, but they are more than welcome to put it up at that price.

This thread. SMH.

But you forgot to factor in supply and demand. Since we are talking about retail, we are talking boxed copies...physical copies. In the law of supply and demand, if the demand goes up, so does the price, if the demand goes down......so does the price. Maybe these retailers ordered more copies than they sold and now these retailers are overstocked because the demand at MSRP just isn't there? 

There's too many variables to determine why any one store in particular has certain levels of supply and demand.

On top of all this, ESO was available day 1 of pre-orders at 20% off at Greenman Gaming. There wasn't even time for a supply/demand issue, it was straight up on discount. That's because retailers are in competition for your monies.

Also, how many times have you see boxed copies of games (at retail) sell for more than market, regardless of demand? Did your local gamestop sell HALO 3 for $250?

ESO Physical Imperial Edition was sold out, did the price go up?

As soon as you see Zenimax drop the price, then you know they're trying to increase sales. Independent retailers are not a good barometer - esp when you're looking at such a small sample size.

Not every store that sells games is going to be in an optimal location. Demographics of the population? Size of the population? Cultural past times of the population? Maybe that store has some jerkhole employees and it's customer base has dwindled. Maybe a newer bigger better store just opened! Maybe more people are purchasing digitally these days. Maybe a lot of things, that's why this thread is a pile of nonsense.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

GW2 didn't have a sub. I paid $39.99 for Rift. I paid the same to play WoW back in the day. Everything else I forget. SWG was a birthday present so I couldn't tell you. 

Not sure what you are trying to prove here.

Edit:

Oh yeah, I remember paying about the same for City of Heroes too.

Both of those games have cash to gold conversion systems and all types of stuff in the cash shop. I will gladly pay more to not have to deal with that stuff. 

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"

This thread. SMH.

There's too many variables to determine why any one store in particular has certain levels of supply and demand.

On top of all this, ESO was available day 1 of pre-orders at 20% off at Greenman Gaming. There wasn't even time for a supply/demand issue, it was straight up on discount. That's because retailers are in competition for your monies.

Also, how many times have you see boxed copies of games (at retail) sell for more than market, regardless of demand? Did your local gamestop sell HALO 3 for $250?

ESO Physical Imperial Edition was sold out, did the price go up?

As soon as you see Zenimax drop the price, then you know they're trying to increase sales. Independent retailers are not a good barometer - esp when you're looking at such a small sample size.

Not every store that sells games is going to be in an optimal location. Demographics of the population? Size of the population? Cultural past times of the population? Maybe that store has some jerkhole employees and it's customer base has dwindled. Maybe a newer bigger better store just opened! Maybe more people are purchasing digitally these days. Maybe a lot of things, that's why this thread is a pile of nonsense.

But you are talking about the difference between digital purchase and retail. ZM doesn't have to try to liquidate overstock.

But you are right to say there are many variables. Like how much of it was the retailer's fault for their overstock issue? (Assuming that is what happened)

Originally posted by bcbully

GW2 didn't have a sub. I paid $39.99 for Rift. I paid the same to play WoW back in the day. Everything else I forget. SWG was a birthday present so I couldn't tell you. 

Edit:

Both of those games have cash to gold conversion systems and all types of stuff in the cash shop. I will gladly pay more to not have to deal with that stuff. 

I whole heartedly agree with your feeling on that. Unfortunately it never seems to work out too well anymore.

The last game I bought pre release was FFXIV ARR. I bought the game based on 2 features. 

1. The most in depth crafting system I have ever played in a theme park MMORPG.

2. No RMT.

So what happened?

1.  SE invalidated that in depth crafting system when they capped crafted gear at Item Level 70 while instance dropped gear continued to reach item level 90 and 95

2. . The economy was wrecked by RMT. Though that was done against EULA and players to banned for it so SE did take action there. But there was still a lot of damage done that SE should have been more on top of. Most of that was probably due to expanding their data centers at such a critical time. But that's what happens when developers and publishers are dealing with unexpected launch issues.Lesser priority issues go unchecked for a time. And this was one of them.

Number 1 was the deal breaker for me, I could have lived with and dealt with number 2.

But the point is, that what I once thought of as a black and white issue for my gaming experience has changed as a result of FF14.

I have softened my stance against Cash shops and RMT. I still dislike it, I still prefer a game without RMT. But 1st, none exist. and 2nd, sometimes, there are more important issues than RMT.

• RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785

But you are talking about the difference between digital purchase and retail. ZM doesn't have to try to liquidate overstock.

But you are right to say there are many variables. Like how much of it was the retailer's fault for their overstock issue? (Assuming that is what happened)

Well, more specifically I'm talking about the difference between the manufacturer and retail and yes, ZOS doesn't have to liquidate.

While the assumption can be made that the retailer overstocked themselves, that doesn't necessarily correlate to low sales. Companies like Amazon haven't taken over because no one is shopping from them. And outside of the collector's edition, it's very likely that people simply purchased digitally (which is increasingly common) and bypassed the brick and mortar store altogether.

If a game sells like hotcakes on Steam, and boxed copies sit on store shelves gathering dust and getting price drops, does that equate to low sales? Not necessarily, it just means people don't shop there as much (or at all).

Also of note, OP's town of Redditch has a population of 84k. Again, doesn't necessarily mean anything, but that's fairly small.

• Rush84Rush84 Member Posts: 62

http://www.game.co.uk/en/elder-scrolls-online-with-60-day-pre-paid-time-card-290762?pageSize=20&searchTerm=elder scrolls online&catGroupId=

£45 for game + 60 days game card

still not getting it though maybe when the game is £20 on its own with 1 free month ill think about it :D

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919

Well, more specifically I'm talking about the difference between the manufacturer and retail and yes, ZOS doesn't have to liquidate.

While the assumption can be made that the retailer overstocked themselves, that doesn't necessarily correlate to low sales. Companies like Amazon haven't taken over because no one is shopping from them. And outside of the collector's edition, it's very likely that people simply purchased digitally (which is increasingly common) and bypassed the brick and mortar store altogether.

If a game sells like hotcakes on Steam, and boxed copies sit on store shelves gathering dust and getting price drops, does that equate to low sales? Not necessarily, it just means people don't shop there as much (or at all).

Also of note, OP's town of Redditch has a population of 84k. Again, doesn't necessarily mean anything, but that's fairly small.

Indeed - lots of possible reasons.

You would expect Amazon - who are "big" to be pretty good at estimating demand though; none of the "local" details to deal with either. Doesn't mean the game hasn't sold "more copies than expected" via Zenimax but ...

• CodeFuzerCodeFuzer Member UncommonPosts: 105

It dropped by 5€ since release. It is now 25€ comapred to 30€ at release.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

Edit:

I whole heartedly agree with your feeling on that. Unfortunately it never seems to work out too well anymore.

The last game I bought pre release was FFXIV ARR. I bought the game based on 2 features. 

2. No RMT.

So what happened?

1.  SE invalidated that in depth crafting system when they capped crafted gear at Item Level 70 while instance dropped gear continued to reach item level 90 and 95

2. . The economy was wrecked by RMT. Though that was done against EULA and players to banned for it so SE did take action there. But there was still a lot of damage done that SE should have been more on top of. Most of that was probably due to expanding their data centers at such a critical time. But that's what happens when developers and publishers are dealing with unexpected launch issues.Lesser priority issues go unchecked for a time. And this was one of them.

Number 1 was the deal breaker for me, I could have lived with and dealt with number 2.

But the point is, that what I once thought of as a black and white issue for my gaming experience has changed as a result of FF14.

I have softened my stance against Cash shops and RMT. I still dislike it, I still prefer a game without RMT. But 1st, none exist. and 2nd, sometimes, there are more important issues than RMT.

We are on the same page then. Just coming from a different direction. Me coming from a f2p going back  to a p2p. Funny how that works.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731

Edit:

2. No RMT.

So what happened?

We are on the same page then. Just coming from a different direction. Me coming from a f2p going back  to a p2p. Funny how that works.

You'll be back to F2P considering that P2P has WoW, EVE, ESO for however long it lasts, Wildstar for however long it lasts and by what I know Trials of Ascension again for however long it lasts.

• loulakiloulaki Member UncommonPosts: 944
    Originally posted by Dihoru

Edit:

2. No RMT.

So what happened?

You'll be back to F2P considering that P2P has WoW, EVE, ESO for however long it lasts, Wildstar for however long it lasts and by what I know Trials of Ascension again for however long it lasts.

i prefer to  be into a f2p or b2p MMOworld without real money traders ...

in time the p2p model didnt offered any AAA title better than the f2p. Also most titles began as p2p full of bugs and RMT, and turned into f2p removing the RMT and polished by that time... So why to join on a beta and pay for it ?