Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Very Interested in TESO

MMOcamMMOcam Jefferson, WIPosts: 6Member

Hello everyone

I didn't follow this game too much until recently. The thing that really draws me into buying the game is the character build options. Being able to choose from so many different skills and options looks great. It seems that this game excels in that department and will give me more options than any other game. It reminds me so much of the guild wars 1 skill system and seems like the game really has a lot of options. The combat also looks good and I am looking forward to PvP. I am waiting a little bit before I buy the game so I start playing when my brother will be able to play.

The only thing I am concerned with everyone seems to say the story is a very important part of the game. Normally when I play MMOs and some other games I ignore the story. If the story is good I will try to listen/read it. Is this game worth it for someone who doesn't normally like reading the story? The other parts of the game seem very good but if the main focus of the game is the storyline maybe I should rethink my decision.

Thanks for any replies!

Comments

  • SovrathSovrath Boston Area, MAPosts: 18,462Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by MMOcam

    Hello everyone

    I didn't follow this game too much until recently. The thing that really draws me into buying the game is the character build options. Being able to choose from so many different skills and options looks great. It seems that this game excels in that department and will give me more options than any other game. It reminds me so much of the guild wars 1 skill system and seems like the game really has a lot of options. The combat also looks good and I am looking forward to PvP. I am waiting a little bit before I buy the game so I start playing when my brother will be able to play.

    The only thing I am concerned with everyone seems to say the story is a very important part of the game. Normally when I play MMOs and some other games I ignore the story. If the story is good I will try to listen/read it. Is this game worth it for someone who doesn't normally like reading the story? The other parts of the game seem very good but if the main focus of the game is the storyline maybe I should rethink my decision.

    Thanks for any replies!

    If you don't mind clicking through a lot of dialogue the "maybe".

    The quests are done in such a way that they really are more about "story" than "yadda yadda yadda go kill 10 mobs, etc".

    If you are not getting enjoyment from the stories then I would find it hard to believe the pve portion is going to be worth it.

    Additionally, you will have to be "on board" with the type of pvp this game has (flipping keeps essentially). If you can do that "all the time" then sure the game might be fun.

     

  • DEAD.lineDEAD.line LisbonPosts: 424Member

    Honeslty, not much. Questing is the main, and likely best, part of the game. No to meantion it gives the best xp by far.

    It's driving force lies in storytelling actually. ESO uses phasing to achieve this. So, you perform an action for your quests, the results stay in the world by using it. So, for example, if you kill someone important in the questline, it'll be that way for your "phase", but not for others.

    Because of this, listening to the story, dialogue, etc, is where the important part lies. There's also a good crafting system, RVR at level 10, and even dungeons (an upcoming raid too), but they all have their issues, of course. 

  • summitussummitus TimbuktuPosts: 1,414Member

    The storyline and questing are a huge part of this game , but there is also a massive amount of things to do too , the crafting is really good and indepth and also tinkering around with the nearly infinite amount of character customization is addictive in itself.

     

  • MMOcamMMOcam Jefferson, WIPosts: 6Member
    I will try to read the storyline when I play. If it really interest me I will keep reading/listening to the dialogue and lore.  Normally though (especially for MMOs) I always try. Two games that come to mind are The Secret World Online and Star Wars The Old Republic. The stories of those games were okay but eventually I wanted to just play the game (fighting monsters) instead of listening to people talk and ending up skipping most the dialogue. I really enjoy MMOs mainly because I can play with my friends and brothers. The skill system seems great. I enjoy most mmos without really paying much attention to the story. What makes TESO any different? 
  • CouganCougan DoncasterPosts: 394Member

    The main storyline I've not being doing for a while now.. You dont need to do it to advance to the next maps or anything.

     

    The questing however is important and each area has its own storylines or events that are taking place. Since questing is the primary form of XP, unless you look up some power level guide, then you would be doing a lot of them to reach max PVP capability.

  • BjelarBjelar RullumpPosts: 384Member
    Originally posted by MMOcam

     

     It seems that this game excels in that department and will give me more options than any other game.

    I think that is going too far.

    Charachter development is well done in ESO imo, but you don`t have many skills to choose from. I wanted my first char to play around with all the skills, testing them and finding good combinations.

    I quickly settled on five skills, and I doubt I am ever going to change them.

    Crafting is good too, but the lack of global trader is making it less usefull. In order to make gold from crafting, you need to yell in chat all day or join a crafting guild, where everyone else is crafting the same stuff as you do.

    It is a good game, I already signed up for six more months, but I can think of many games that gives you more choices when it comes to char development.

  • DistopiaDistopia Baltimore, MDPosts: 16,915Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by MMOcam
    I will try to read the storyline when I play. If it really interest me I will keep reading/listening to the dialogue and lore.  Normally though (especially for MMOs) I always try. Two games that come to mind are The Secret World Online and Star Wars The Old Republic. The stories of those games were okay but eventually I wanted to just play the game (fighting monsters) instead of listening to people talk and ending up skipping most the dialogue. I really enjoy MMOs mainly because I can play with my friends and brothers. The skill system seems great. I enjoy most mmos without really paying much attention to the story. What makes TESO any different? 

    From what I've gathered post release, the biggest difference is essentially routes to attaining XP, questing is often cited as the only efficient route.

    For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

    It is a sign of a defeated man, to attack at ones character in the face of logic and reason- Me

  • LenthalLenthal LoulPosts: 7Member

    To be honest with you the good amount of skill points you will get and the freedom you get in choosing your various options might net you in trouble.

     

    Pick 1-2 craft and 2 roles max (2 weapons) max, and also make your health your primary stat when you level up, stamina and magicka can easily be attained by gear, even while leveling, might not always be at the cap, but close to it.

  • snubbsiisnubbsii BlackpoolPosts: 3Member

    Right so i really want this game, I've played all the others and don't want to play it on Xbox One because it seems like a game that is better suited to PC controls. At the moment i'm playing on a really bad laptop that struggles to load RuneScape on, so i was wondering if any of you could tell me if this PC could run the game.

     

    I don't care about "Max graphics" or anything i just want to be able to play it, and i don't want to build my own for a cheaper price either. All i want is a straight answer whether i could run it on this computer and if i couldn't why, thanks.

    http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/desktop-pcs/desktop-pcs/hp-pavilion-500-260ea-gaming-pc-21898266-pdt.html

  • ArndushArndush Dallas, TXPosts: 303Member
    Originally posted by snubbsii

    Right so i really want this game, I've played all the others and don't want to play it on Xbox One because it seems like a game that is better suited to PC controls. At the moment i'm playing on a really bad laptop that struggles to load RuneScape on, so i was wondering if any of you could tell me if this PC could run the game.

     

    I don't care about "Max graphics" or anything i just want to be able to play it, and i don't want to build my own for a cheaper price either. All i want is a straight answer whether i could run it on this computer and if i couldn't why, thanks.

    http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/desktop-pcs/desktop-pcs/hp-pavilion-500-260ea-gaming-pc-21898266-pdt.html

    3.7 Ghz Quad core, 8GB of DDR3 and a GTX 645? You should have zero issues.

    I run a 2.7 Ghz Quad Core, 8GB of DDR3 and a GTX 660 and I have no issues what-so-ever.

  • snubbsiisnubbsii BlackpoolPosts: 3Member

    Thank you, i just wanted to make sure because I'm more of a Console gamer and wanting to make the jump to PC's so i have no idea one PC to another a part from the basics. I didn't want to go out spend £640 on a new computer and ESO and not be able to play it.

    Again thanks for the information!

  • darker70darker70 stokePosts: 813Member
    Originally posted by snubbsii

    Thank you, i just wanted to make sure because I'm more of a Console gamer and wanting to make the jump to PC's so i have no idea one PC to another a part from the basics. I didn't want to go out spend £640 on a new computer and ESO and not be able to play it.

    Again thanks for the information!

    I've got a I5 2500 overclocked  TO 4.2,with a older 5700 card and 8 gigs of ram,and running at near full specs I just drop the shadows mainly,and it's running as smooth as butter when I get my new case and fit a spanking Tri-Force 290 card I really don't expect to see much difference as it runs so well as this game as come on leaps and bounds since the Beta's. 

    Quick edit

    Have you tried Overclockers UK ? 

    Their stuff is top notch and you will get a great deal on a system bare bones or full as they will make one to your spec.

    image

  • snubbsiisnubbsii BlackpoolPosts: 3Member
    Originally posted by darker70
    Originally posted by snubbsii

    Thank you, i just wanted to make sure because I'm more of a Console gamer and wanting to make the jump to PC's so i have no idea one PC to another a part from the basics. I didn't want to go out spend £640 on a new computer and ESO and not be able to play it.

    Again thanks for the information!

    I've got a I5 2500 overclocked  TO 4.2,with a older 5700 card and 8 gigs of ram,and running at near full specs I just drop the shadows mainly,and it's running as smooth as butter when I get my new case and fit a spanking Tri-Force 290 card I really don't expect to see much difference as it runs so well as this game as come on leaps and bounds since the Beta's. 

    Quick edit

    Have you tried Overclockers UK ? 

    Their stuff is top notch and you will get a great deal on a system bare bones or full as they will make one to your spec.

     

     

    You see that right there means nothing to me LOL, all i want to do is buy a PC with the ability to play this game (even if its on the bare minimum) i don't care for the graphic as I'm going to be honest as with games like that I'm too busy trying to kill someone/something or talking to people. 

    It might save me money but id rather be able to go first thing next Friday when i get paid to curry's/PC world pick a Desktop up with the game install it and smash the hell out of it instead of having to wait longer on a PC order made.

    You know thanks for all the advise but maybe in the future when i at least know something about the inside of a computer other than it has a fan, harddrive and lots of wires that's  the reason why i seeked help on here. :)

  • MMOcamMMOcam Jefferson, WIPosts: 6Member
    I couldn't wait so I bought the game. Looking forward to playing and exploring the world. Thanks for the replies.
  • darker70darker70 stokePosts: 813Member
    Originally posted by MMOcam
    I couldn't wait so I bought the game. Looking forward to playing and exploring the world. Thanks for the replies.

    Cool beans 

    Hope you enjoy it as much as I am. image

    image

  • handlewithcarehandlewithcare hartenbosPosts: 322Member

    I am very happy with the game they could not have made it better,it would have been perfect if it was free.

    if it was no subscription it would have been the first hard blow to WOW and EQN is going to finish them,no dislike from me its just time for WOW to go and TITAN with no sub.to come and claim its spot.

  • VannorVannor YorkshirePosts: 2,970Member Uncommon

    I'll level with you. I'm a big fan of this game and I love it.

    Seriously though, no fanboyism or anything like that, beyond immersive questing and repetitive PvP, this game does not have a lot to do. There's hardly anything to collect beyond skill points and achievements. The only side activities are crafting and fishing. The fishing is especially shallow in this game, it's not fleshed out at all.

    It is purely a story content game if you don't dwell on PvP.. there's lots of it, it's decent quality and it takes a long time to get through but beyond that there really isn't anything major on offer. The dynamic content is absolutely pointless. It's hardly dynamic and there's no reason to do it, none at all.

    So, yeh, if you want a good questing game then this is a decent choice. Anything other than that then there's at least 10 other MMOs that are doing it better, for free or without a subscription.

  • ArndushArndush Dallas, TXPosts: 303Member
    Originally posted by snubbsii

    Thank you, i just wanted to make sure because I'm more of a Console gamer and wanting to make the jump to PC's so i have no idea one PC to another a part from the basics. I didn't want to go out spend £640 on a new computer and ESO and not be able to play it.Again thanks for the information!

     

    Anytime. Enjoy the game. Cheers mate.
  • EntinerintEntinerint brooklyn, NYPosts: 843Member Uncommon
    Ignoring the story would make this game boring as hell tbh.
  • IselinIselin Vancouver, BCPosts: 5,618Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Distopia
    Originally posted by MMOcam
    I will try to read the storyline when I play. If it really interest me I will keep reading/listening to the dialogue and lore.  Normally though (especially for MMOs) I always try. Two games that come to mind are The Secret World Online and Star Wars The Old Republic. The stories of those games were okay but eventually I wanted to just play the game (fighting monsters) instead of listening to people talk and ending up skipping most the dialogue. I really enjoy MMOs mainly because I can play with my friends and brothers. The skill system seems great. I enjoy most mmos without really paying much attention to the story. What makes TESO any different? 

    From what I've gathered post release, the biggest difference is essentially routes to attaining XP, questing is often cited as the only efficient route.

    Actually that's not really true. Some quests do give very good experience but some don't. You do the quests because you enjoy them, and I do: the writing and voice acting for quests in this game is several notches above the norm. 

     

    Then there is also the fact that many quests grant you skill points... not just the faction story and main story quests.

     

    But when it comes to XP per hour, nothing beats AOE grinding. Even if you don't want to do this all the time, you will run into AOE grind situations when following some quest lines that will have you fighting groups of 4-6 while trying to get to the quest objective. If you're specced to be able to handle that, you can get the equivalent to one quest chain's XP rewards after fighting 3 or 4 of those groups.

     

    A case in point is the level 38-40 quests that happen inside the Vile Manse (which, BTW, is one of the very best public dungeons in the game: huge and tough with many groups of 6 or so and several elite bosses) in Reaper's March. There are 2 different quests in there and you'll complete them while fighting your way through the hordes of bad guys.

     

    All the fast levelers I know who reached level 50 quickly did it mostly while grouped and AOE grinding.

Sign In or Register to comment.