Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Zenimax: Taking Action Against Cheaters in ESO

Comments

• RawasaRawasa Member UncommonPosts: 37
    thousands of accounts banned? well atleast they got alot of revenue from them first LMAO (or im guessing that number is exaggerated).
  • doragon86doragon86 Member UncommonPosts: 589
    Originally posted by Dreycraft
    Speed botters, heh I KNEW it. The guy/girl who supposedly got to cap in a day was DEFINITELY hacking. Leif from IGN who's reviewing the game took him 100 hours of gameplay to get to level 50, and he said he leveled as fast as possible, "for the sake of the review". Leveling is not by any means fast in this game, and I'm ecstatic to hear ZOS is on the ball with these asswipes.

Nope. The fellow who got to 50 in a day did it legit. Getting to cap via simply questing can take around 100 hrs give or take. However, grinding fast spawning mob camps is much faster. However, there are some who used methods to reach the cap that go against the TOS.

"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
    And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:
    And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
    And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"
    ~Lord George Gordon Byron

• RebelScum99RebelScum99 Member Posts: 1,090
    Originally posted by HabitualFrogStomp
    Originally posted by cybertrucker
    Even though I have no interest in this game whatsoever. That is awesome news for the community.  Hopefully they don't ban innocent people by mistake.

They already have, if the forums are to be believed (dubious). But just to be safe, I dont report anyone, or use zone chat. Apparently some people got banned for reporting gold sellers and had to wait several days for their account to be reinstated. I dont entirely trust that ZOS customer service/GM's know what they're doing, so no chances taken.

I've been receiving gold spam in-game mails over the last week and reporting them consistently.  I've also been reporting gold spammers in trade chat since the game opened.  Not sure I trust these reports of people getting banned for doing this.  Sure hasn't happened to me.

• prowesssprowesss Member Posts: 69
    How is a brand new game susceptible to speed hacks? Amazing

I chose the Xfinity speed test because it does not reveal my ISP.

• BlasphimBlasphim Member UncommonPosts: 354
    Originally posted by Wrender
    Even though I have no interest in this game whatsoever. That is awesome news for the community.  Hopefully they don't ban innocent people by mistake.

No interest? What's the matter with you man this is the best MMO I have ever played to date and I have played em all. Yes I am including WoW as well. I predict this game will be the next top MMo soon. If this don't kill off what remains of WoW nothing will!

Oh no...please no...please tell me you did not write yourself into a corner full of high expectations.  You gotta be careful with that man, games have a way of dashing your hopes and dreams.  Back out of the corner slowly and just enjoy the game for bein the game.  Bold statements and high hopes rarely work out. 

• zwei2zwei2 Member Posts: 361
    It is good news. It will be better news if Zen can keep up the momentum, and not just a one time event.

The possibility of the universe collapsing into a singularity is higher than the birth of a perfect MMORPG.

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614
    Originally posted by HabitualFrogStomp

They already have, if the forums are to be believed (dubious). But just to be safe, I dont report anyone, or use zone chat. Apparently some people got banned for reporting gold sellers and had to wait several days for their account to be reinstated. I dont entirely trust that ZOS customer service/GM's know what they're doing, so no chances taken.

There are millions of innocent prisoners behind bars. It must be true, because they all say they have done nothing.  :)

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• SiugSiug Member UncommonPosts: 1,257
    Good news. Especially gold spammers are extremely annoying, polluting both chat channel and mailbox.
  • ArdnutArdnut Member Posts: 188

about time something was done against them. been reporting them and sending screenshots as well to show what's been said. all i get back is automated e-mails fillng my inbox.

seems the spammers are even sending out invites to join their guilds now, although anyone who joins a guild blind just because they get an invite out of the blue deserves to lose everything they put in the guild bank as a leason not to trust everyone

i look this wrecked because i've got GIST.
    Whats your excuse?
    http://deadmanrambling.com/

• yaminsuxyaminsux Member UncommonPosts: 973

I for one have seen fewer RMT spammer in zone chat.

Yesterday...there was none! Maybe I got lucky. Keep up the good work Zenimax, not many mmo could do this well.

• JHenryJHenry Member Posts: 188

For the day I've played the game since early access, I've seen numerous occasion of gold sellers in which I immediately report them. They tried adding me as a friend, they tried emailing me, they tried adding me to the guild, whispering me, spamming in zone/yell chat. I even once saw a zone chat advertising herself to be a girl gamer asking for an invite to a guild with 100 members with dubious character name (obvious gold seller).

Good thing to note about the notifications when someone asked me to join a gold seller guild from a gold seller, or adding as a friend with obvious gold seller note is that they are instantly removed by ZOS from my notification without my action even while I'm in the game. It means they really are working on it. Kudos to them for not taking this issue lightly.

SOLA - www.solaguild.com
    (christian guild. Being christian is not required for membership though)

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919

What I think would be good would be some variation on what Respawn have done in Titanfall. If the middleware being used indicates that any form of cheating (add-ons etc.) the accounts are moved to a specific server. They are not banned but are left to play against each other ... in what Respawn described as " a battle of the botters".

If Zenimax could do something along those lines .... gold spammers spamming each other, speed hackers trying to outrun each other .... with blocks to stop them returning of course then that could be even better than banning them. They may not realise right away.

• MeridiasBeaconMeridiasBeacon Member Posts: 86
    Fabulous.
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910

So happy they are so quick to do this. Most games wait months and let the economy go to the dogs before stepping in.

• AwDiddumsAwDiddums Member UncommonPosts: 416
    Originally posted by summitus
    The only concern I have is that this maybe open to abuse, say for instance getting reported just for upsetting someone in game  I might be just paranoid though. I'm still going to keep a low profile just in case Zenimax are as incompetent as a lot of people are saying :)

I reported a player who was teleporting all over the place harvesting, that was a week ago. If they where immediately banning players yes I'd be concerned, but with the length of time from my reporting to banning you would believe they have investigated all claims.

As for incompetent, I've yet to see this personally, I certainly do not believe everything I read from other players (as I'm sure many will not believe me) without solid proof, I'm not gullible enough to believe it's all true.

Most of the ppl on here would be a smugglers dream border guard, believe everything they are told.

• ArdnutArdnut Member Posts: 188

have they actualy done anything? i logged on today and saw more spam in zone chat in 20 mins than i've seen in a week. it's as if they sent an invite to the spammers overnight.

logged in for a short visit on an alt, and get exactly the same spam from people 've added to ignore list on my main - wonder if the ignore only works on the character you ignore on instead off accross your acct?

i look this wrecked because i've got GIST.
    Whats your excuse?
    http://deadmanrambling.com/

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Originally posted by Ardnut

have they actualy done anything? i logged on today and saw more spam in zone chat in 20 mins than i've seen in a week. it's as if they sent an invite to the spammers overnight.

logged in for a short visit on an alt, and get exactly the same spam from people 've added to ignore list on my main - wonder if the ignore only works on the character you ignore on instead off accross your acct?

If they're making millions from people buying gold what is banning a $50 account going to do ? How much money does your avg multimillion dollar company spend on advertising. What would they say if someone told them a $50 Ad got pulled.....

Ban the people BUYING the gold and you'll take away those companies ability to make money....but that isn't how our society works. 

• KuanshuKuanshu Member Posts: 272
    Originally posted by DamonVile

If they're making millions from people buying gold what is banning a $50 account going to do ? How much money does your avg multimillion dollar company spend on advertising. What would they say if someone told them a $50 Ad got pulled.....

Ban the people BUYING the gold and you'll take away those companies ability to make money....but that isn't how our society works. 

I've actually suggested multiple MMORPGs sell their own gold in a cash shop at a reasonable price...then again it would be like our own government deciding to make its own currency...and well we simply can't have that :P

Free2play and cash shop is the future of this game...sooner or later its gonna happen

Allowing people to report cheaters can easily be exploited as well:

I played Lord of the Rings Online and being quite the powergamer, I was the first on my server to 50. Thoroughly bored to tears with PvE (cept for touring the areas most memorable in middle earth (even had a home in the shire)) I decided to solely concentrate on PvMP (Player vs Monster Player) (I consider this the future of MMORPGs at least until AI is much better and can adapt and learn in real time). Players were so lopsidedly overpowered in comparison to monster players it was downright pathetic. Being a seasoned PvP player from many previous MMORPGs; I utilized everything I knew to be quite the notorious, resourceful and tricky Hunter (simply everything the class was designed to be) that I was reported time and again by the Monster Players who figured I was exploiting. I was observed time and again by game moderators and found not guilty. It wasn't until I had alot of time in the PvMP area where I was leading raids into the fray that someone (whom I must have previously offended) started leading groups and intentionally excluding me on purpose. Then they got the raid they were leading to mass report me (repeatedly) saying I was exploiting and being a nuiscance. It was this that caused me to not only be suspended from game, but almost banned. I had done nothing wrong except be around the company of the raid I was excluded from in order to assist and stay protected as anyone else would. There was cheats I wasn't aware of that players were using in PvP (fast moving stealth cheat), that I refused to exploit. I literally couldn't believe how bad it was for Monster Players (you had to be there to see what was happening to really fathom how bad it was). I ended up joining Monster Players and shared everything I could with them to turn the tables, so to speak. I could go on and on yet I wanted to share a length insight into how reporting could be exploited. 

Zenimax sounds like they aren't being as careful as they should be, when it comes to banning a player from the game. This will not even remotely hinder a smart/resourceful gold farming company. They are not only used to this, it is to be expected, as it keeps some of the competition in check and keeps enterprising individuals from being a factor as well. So in the long run it actually helps the gold farming companies. Reporting players will be abused, as it has been in many MMORPGs. 

Zenimax has to become the wise, discerning, experienced, learned company that will serve them righteously and monetarily as this game evolves.

• p4ttythep3rf3ctp4ttythep3rf3ct Member UncommonPosts: 194
    Originally posted by DamonVile

Ban both.  Nobody wants either in our community, both are useless dregs weighing down society and devaluing a community over their selfishness and greed. 

That's just, like, my opinion, man.

• BurntCabbageBurntCabbage Member UncommonPosts: 482
    Originally posted by kaiser3282

Saw this in the official forums and hadn't seen anyone mention it here so figured I would post it. Good to see theyve been working on getting rid of these people.

From Jessica Folsom:

"Today, we made our first major strike against those who choose to cheat in ESO, permanently banning thousands. This is only the beginning of our ongoing efforts to keep the game free from botters, speed hackers, and gold spammers. We want to thank everyone who has sent in-game reports about these individuals in ESO—your reports helped us identify many of the accounts we banned today. Please continue to report any botters, gold spammers, and speed hackers you see in-game, and we’ll continue our efforts to keep them out of Tamriel."

http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/discussion/74534/taking-action-against-cheaters-in-eso

AMEN!

!image

• AlumicardAlumicard Member UncommonPosts: 388

Nice to see they do something against bots and gold sellers. But I bet they hit some/many innocent people. If a friend is correct then people got reported for farming a boss in a public dungeon(normal respawn timer), standing around afk, sending items/gold from one char to another on the same account, and guild leaders getting banned for sending mails to the guild (you have to send those one by one -> spam).

Unfotunatly, as long as people make more money than an account cost they will continue to sell gold. Especially if you can bot it and they do the bans in waves that is not hard to do.

• MerklynnMerklynn Member UncommonPosts: 100
    ,During my Early Access time I reported two gold sellers who sent me in game advertisements. There were of course more sellers spamming chat channels but even with people reporting them they continued for some time.

Now that ESO is live I'm glad to hear the crackdown on these types of people has made the subscribers lives a bit more less aggravating. They'll probably pop up here & there but if they get banned quickly enough maybe it won't be worth their time to camp in game.

Of course players new to mmo's should be aware that that gold selling, power leveling websites will screw you over in the end. You may get that shiny pile of gold or a level 50 character but you may also get misery. Your account can get mysteriously hacked or a fellow adventurer will be upset he lost everything since he last played but it's cool right buying gold from websites who "earned" that gold adventuring is ok. No friends it is not.

Report them all and don't fall for their bullcr@p especially in a subscriber based game such as this.
  • adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148
    Does this include the players who got max level in a matter of hours?
  • Sector13Sector13 Member UncommonPosts: 784
    Funny how people act like this matters. Within a couple months no one is even going to care what Zenimax does then when they start letting go more staff to make up for the lack of subs the cheaters and exploiters will just come back when it goes B2P/F2P. 
  • prowesssprowesss Member Posts: 69

I don't mean this to be a slight against zenimax because I recognize the merit of banning cheaters but back when there was rampant speedhacking and exploits in Asheron's Call, no one got banned..

Turbine, in those days, assumed the philosophy that players should do everything that was possible for them to do and part of the joy of the games they created was pushing the limits of the software to find out what was possible..  they can't ban people for their mistake and creating a game where cheating was possible was THEIR mistake...

This is an example of how far of a departure, from the philosophical roots of the MMORPG industry, the modern development standard has taken.

I chose the Xfinity speed test because it does not reveal my ISP.