Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SEVEN (7) Hard Crashes in under 30 minutes

The first six hard crashes occurred within a fifteen minute window.  Meanwhile, my son's framerate has dropped on average by 20 FPS.

I'm not sure what they did in their last patch, but right now -- for me, at least; I'm too old to have my son's patience -- the game's unplayable.

Seven -- repeat: SEVEN -- hard crashes where my screen went black, to be followed by the little black and white dialog asking what I was doing at the time.  Well, let's see: twice I was in chat with my son; twice I was killing your every day normal bad guy NPC; three times I was just moving from point A to point B.

Nothing out of the ordinary.

At one point preceding a crash -- this was interesting -- all particle effects disappeared.  I was in one of the public dungeons.  Gives a new perspective on combat... ever tried finding a skyshard in a public dungeon when you don't have the beam of light shooting up into the sky?

I complained through the account page, pissed off enough that I asked for a refund.  Seriously, the game is not playable at this point.  Their response?  An email asking for a bunch of personal information across an unsecure link.  Excuse me?  No professional organization would ever do that.  Yes, I did a check backwards on the email routing to verify its authenticity.  I've concluded that they deliberately are trying to avoid accountability.

I'm pissed.  I intend to raise hell.  There is more than one way to skin a cat.

Comments

• ThornrageThornrage Member UncommonPosts: 659

I think I had a crash during the early release.

100 people in the guild I am in haven't had your problem. 

Seems to me it must be on your end.

"I don't give a sh*t what other people say. I play what I like and I'll pay to do it too!" - SerialMMOist

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    I haven't had any issues whatsoever so far no frame drops, no crashing, nothing. Nobody I have talked to has either except one friend who has overheating issues because the game is taxing on hardware.
  • alterfenixalterfenix Member UncommonPosts: 370

Actually that depends. PvE zones are stable - having tops one crash per 4-5 hours. Cyrodiil tho is a different story. Usually it is same (few hours with no crash) but then sometimes it is crash right after logging in (repeated a few times in a row). Generally stability is something that has to be improved still. It's not my worst experience, definitely bu then also not the best one.

Ofc it's less than a week since launch so this is expected.

• zevianzevian Member UncommonPosts: 403

I havent had any performance issues with this game,   they actually did a great job as i can get max settings and consistently high fps.

Your computer crashing that often sounds like heat building up until the breaking point, that could explain the particle effects disappearing as your video card shut some things down to avoid a total crash.

• MikeJezZMikeJezZ Member UncommonPosts: 1,267
    I also has some few crashes (1-2 crashes every 7 hours avg) and lower fps but I'm sure they will fix it
  • BattlerockBattlerock Member CommonPosts: 1,393

Something is definitely up today - some of the twitch streamers were complaining as well, one had confessed that something was off but couldn't pinpoint it. I could tell graphically it was way off from what it normally was, and there seem to be some stuttering ever so slightly, very odd considering no patch and the last 3 days this hasn't been an issue. 

Could be.....

ESO servers are connected to an unsecured windows xp access

or

Heartbleed is kicking in

or 

Both

• Void425Void425 Member UncommonPosts: 170

This game is very heavy on the graphics card.  Most peoples systems can overheat even if there system is free of dust.  This problems sounds like a heat issue.  The easiest way to solve this problem is to get a fps limiter.  

Personally I use Bandicam which is freeware, but there is many others out there.  With Bandicam I  CHECK the Set FPS limit Box, put in my FPS, and DO NOT CHECK the only when capturing box.  Since I use a Large Screen TV as my display that has a Frequency of 59 hz, the best FPS my display can show is 59 so that is what I set my FPS at.

There is no reason to set a limit higher then the refresh rate on your monitor, but lower refreshes may make your system run cooler.  I recommend keeping your limit between 50-80 if possible......less then 50 may be required for some heat issues, more then 80 can not be seen by a human eye (  People say the human eye caps at 60, but a few with good vision have noticed differences up to 80.

P.S.  An FPS drop before the crash can be a result of the video card throttle to lower its  power and fps rate because of overheating.

• BattlerockBattlerock Member CommonPosts: 1,393
    Originally posted by Void425

This game is very heavy on the graphics card.  Most peoples systems can overheat even if there system is free of dust.  This problems sounds like a heat issue.  The easiest way to solve this problem is to get a fps limiter.  

Personally I use Bandicam which is freeware, but there is many others out there.  With Bandicam I  CHECK the Set FPS limit Box, put in my FPS, and DO NOT CHECK the only when capturing box.  Since I use a Large Screen TV as my display that has a Frequency of 59 hz, the best FPS my display can show is 59 so that is what I set my FPS at.

There is no reason to set a limit higher then the refresh rate on your monitor, but lower refreshes may make your system run cooler.  I recommend keeping your limit between 50-80 if possible......less then 50 may be required for some heat issues, more then 80 can not be seen by a human eye (  People say the human eye caps at 60, but a few with good vision have noticed differences up to 80.

Here are the system specs - game is still as jacked up

• prowessprowess Member UncommonPosts: 169
    Did you recently update your GPU drivers?  I've noticed that the latest nvidia driver has been pretty unstable with a lot of things
  • Abuz0rAbuz0r Member UncommonPosts: 550

Elder Scrolls Online requires a minimum of TI-89 with AOL.   The TI-83Plus won't be able to handle the graphics.  If you're crashing you might have to upgrade.

:D

No really though, the game can't forsee your PC not being able to handle graphics.  I've crashed once, rebooted my computer, hasn't happened since.  I'm playing at max graphics settings.

• prowessprowess Member UncommonPosts: 169
    memory leaks were fixed when we moved from x86 to 64bit architecture...  if they manage to cause a memory leak, I'm impressed!  I'm not even mad!
  • Void425Void425 Member UncommonPosts: 170
    Originally posted by Battlerock
    Originally posted by Void425

System specs do not matter when I say it is a heat issue because the video card is overheating.  Yes your video card is good enough to handle the game.  I am saying that the issue is heat due to your video card.  Your video card is creating as many fps as it can above and beyond what your monitor can display (that is what is is supposed to do).  These extra fps are causing extra heat.  If you limit it from creating the extra fps that you can not display it will lower the work and heat of the card.

I had a similer issue with my system and it all went away as soon as I put bandicam on my system.

Motherboard - Giagabyte Z77x-UD3H

CPU Intel I5-3570k CPU overclocked to 4.2 Ghz

RAM - 16 GB G.Skill Sniper

GPU - Sapphire HD 7970

HARD DRIVE - 512 GB Samsung SSD

Power Supply - Coolermaster GX 750W

• forcelimaforcelima Member UncommonPosts: 232

Originally posted by Void425 This game is very heavy on the graphics card.  Most peoples systems can overheat even if there system is free of dust.  This problems sounds like a heat issue.  The easiest way to solve this problem is to get a fps limiter.     Personally I use Bandicam which is freeware, but there is many others out there.  With Bandicam I  CHECK the Set FPS limit Box, put in my FPS, and DO NOT CHECK the only when capturing box.  Since I use a Large Screen TV as my display that has a Frequency of 59 hz, the best FPS my display can show is 59 so that is what I set my FPS at. There is no reason to set a limit higher then the refresh rate on your monitor, but lower refreshes may make your system run cooler.  I recommend keeping your limit between 50-80 if possible......less then 50 may be required for some heat issues, more then 80 can not be seen by a human eye (  People say the human eye caps at 60, but a few with good vision have noticed differences up to 80.

that GPU req's a minimum 600w PSU on top of that your CPU is oc'ed drawing even more power.
  • PeZzyPeZzy Member UncommonPosts: 154
    Party/Raid frames are a SERIOUS problem in TESO. They are the number one cause of crashes in this game. They knew about this in beta but have yet to fix it. I believe they tweaked it in the last patch, as my party frames addon was spitting out errors and had to be disabled. What is incredibly stupid is to have addon errors occupying the entire center of your screen. Great when you are trying to fight mobs. This game was rushed out without proper beta testing/fixing.
  • PeZzyPeZzy Member UncommonPosts: 154

I have to concur with the previous poster. I wouldn't run that computer with anything less than a high quality 800 Watt power supply. Many people think they can save money with a cheap PSU and end up paying for it with an unstable system.

• RelGnRelGn Member Posts: 494

Looks like 500 w is not enough.

But thats only my guess

• venatsvenats Member Posts: 106

Something's definitely been up today.

Been having regular, prolonged hang-ups and irregular combat in Cyrodil. No crashes but there's definite delay building up.

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424
    Originally posted by prowess
    Did you recently update your GPU drivers?  I've noticed that the latest nvidia driver has been pretty unstable with a lot of things

This.  I reverted back to the last driver.  I've had crashes in WoW, ESO, and Dark Souls 2 since I updated to the last Nvidia Driver.

• BurntCabbageBurntCabbage Member UncommonPosts: 482
    like other posters said ...your power supply is only 500w...imo **without even looking at all of your hardware specs** is simply just not enuff power to power everything..go grab a xion 1000w they are decent and cheap....and switch to AMD proc. =p lol
  • DAS1337DAS1337 Member UncommonPosts: 2,610

Graphical issues generally involve the GPU.  However, if your PSU is insufficient, you may have problems.  500w seems a bit low for that system, especially when you are OC'ing things.  Your PSU will shut your system down if it can't power everything.

I don't think it's a heat issue.  Either way, I'd load up something like MSI afterburner, or something else that can monitor your GPU temps and control their fan speeds.  Heat issues will also cause hard crashes, but you'll likely see a ton of artifacts and weird stuff on your screen, making it obvious as to what the problem is.

I'd look into both to be sure.

Originally posted by BurntCabbage
    like other posters said ...your power supply is only 500w...imo **without even looking at all of your hardware specs** is simply just not enuff power to power everything..go grab a xion 1000w they are decent and cheap....and switch to AMD proc. =p lol

I know you were being funny, but you can't just 'switch' to a AMD processor...lol

The whole system has to be built around it.

Originally posted by Gravarg
    Originally posted by prowess

This.  I reverted back to the last driver.  I've had crashes in WoW, ESO, and Dark Souls 2 since I updated to the last Nvidia Driver.

Old drivers rarely cause issues like this.  In fact, I've never experienced things like the OP is describing, no matter what driver I had installed.  People like to give default answers, such as update your drivers, but those things are rarely ever the problem.  Issues like these are 99.9% always hardware related issues.

• MagikarpsGhostMagikarpsGhost Member RarePosts: 689
    Run a file check it fixed the crashes for me. it seemed in the last patch some data got screwed up while i was patching.

free 7 day sub and unlocks for swtor new accounts and 90+ day inactive subs click here to get it!

Click here for trove referral, bonuses to both!

• ArndushArndush Member Posts: 303

I'm running a:

• Quad Core 2.7ghz processor
    • A Nvidia GTX 660 video card
    • 8 GB of DDR3 RAM
    • a 750 watt power supply
    • An ASUS mother board from 5 years ago
    With the exception of the video card and the power supply, my rig is going on 5 years old. I had one lag spike today. One in 4.5 hours of gameplay. Not sure what you guys are running into, but I'm in a guild of over 1,000. We had 200 in raid call tonight and no one was complaining about htis issue.

There is a lag spike fix, you can find it here: http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/discussion/71772/lag-spike-freezing

I don't have a crash fix. Sorry YodaClone. I wish I could help.
  • mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    That sucks.  Luckily I haven't had that happen to me.  Wonder if it's time of day or something else thats causing it.

I self identify as a monkey.