Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

No in-game AH; Zeni suggests third-party source

Comments

• StarIStarI Member UncommonPosts: 987
    Originally posted by Vrika

What are we playing ESO for?

I'm trying to play it for fun, but it seems the devs have some other ideas. It's like they are trying to build as arduous trading interface as possible so that I couldn't achieve my aims due to interface, instead of building me in-game challenges to tackle.

The trading interface is a work in progress.

And this thread is not really about interface.

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337
    Originally posted by StarI

You want sandboxes? Say no to the global AH!

You know, your comment reminded me a lot of Asian mmorpgs and the ability to either hire retainers or make the player himself a shop of sorts, one that can be placed anywhere in the world. Those same mmorpgs the past few years, have been adding a server wide auction house as both a convenient tool and a way to lessen the amount of players shops active in the world.

Lets disregard for a second the fact that a global AH does not help or hinder an mmorpg being more or less sandbox (also lets disregard that ESO is in no shape or form a sandbox). Thing is, trade needs to happen. Do you really consider spamming zone chat a viable alternative?

• Anoebis.beAnoebis.be Member Posts: 62
    Originally posted by Elikal

*headdesk*  If this is indeed an official response... it just lowers my already low esteem for ZoS. The need to rely on out of game sources for ingame transactions whatsoever is one of the most absurd moves. So they recognize the issue but suggest an outside website as crutch?

Doh. >.<

Quote (from ZoS):

"You don't necessarily want to do a global auction house for a game with one giant server because that generally leads to all the best gear being available at very, very cheap prices. A lot of times that can trivialize the game. You cannot have a healthy economy when there are no restrictions on getting the best stuff in the game."

This is pure Communism. The idea to control and limit free market to "protect" some assumed weak link, is protectionism and just nothing but hardcore communistic market ideology. I say, let free market balance things out! Governmental protected market, in this case ZoS being the government, has never been good for the economy. Let supply and demand, the rules of free market balance itself out. That's the best for everyone in the long run. Allow everyone to sell anything anytime without hindrances.

I just unsubbed for this very reason. The fact you need to rely on a third-party forum to do you trading is the most stupid thing I have ever heard. How the hell are they going to control how people trade on these forums?

Before you know it, people start buying and selling items for money.

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Originally posted by umcorian

So they are essentially saying the "East Commons Tunnel" method of economy is the best, where if you want to sell your goods, you stand in one place for an hour spamming up a neutral zone?

Who'd have thought the only "innovation" in this game would be to go away from WoW... all the way back to Everquest's economy in 1998. 

Exactly my thought as well. No political system at work here - they simply decided not to code it. Eve - on a proper megaserver - has a vibrant economy so it can be done - they just don't want to.

However people didn't like standing around in a mob free, faction free tunnel connecting two fairly low level zones spamming what they wanted to sell whilst trying to read a constantly rolling wall of text. Which is how EQ1 (East Commons) used to work. And yes there was often lag as well.

It certainly sloooowed down the game - when you were trying to buy/sell you weren't questing or grinding. A part of me suspects that this is one reason that TESO has no auction house. (Ditto guild auction houses having no sort.)

But when games came out with auction houses it was "so long SoE and thanks for the fish". They left EQ1 and East Commons behind. East Commons was a feature - in the same way that dinosaurs were a feature.

• grapevinegrapevine Member UncommonPosts: 1,927
    Originally posted by C1d0s

http://massively.joystiq.com/2014/04/10/elder-scrolls-online-recommends-third-party-auction-forum-for-tr/

Is this for real?  A curious thing, imo.

It seems like Zeni is taking a step in the wrong direction by trying to send all trading to an unofficial site, instead of encouraging in-game community / transactions.

Do you approve? Disapprove?

It worked for SWG, although there was a trading section on the forum.   It enhanced the community and generated a true feeling of auctions, with bidding wars and enabled different types of  auctions (e.g. setting reserves, etc).  One even had to arrange meeting places to trade with the winners.

I'd not knock it, as i- game auction houses tend to be pretty souless and don't really add that much other than for an instant buying.   Also don't think of being in-game the only means of delivering a game's community.   Other sources actually enhance it.

• alakramalakram Member UncommonPosts: 2,301

http://massively.joystiq.com/2014/04/10/elder-scrolls-online-recommends-third-party-auction-forum-for-tr/

It seems like Zeni is taking a step in the wrong direction by trying to send all trading to an unofficial site, instead of encouraging in-game community / transactions.

You can join up to 5 guilds, there are trading guilds with up to 500 members in game with a Guild Store (something like an Auction House but without the biding part) so you can join some of them and sell or buy whatever you need, also guilds with a keep in cirodiil a guild can open a guild store for everyone in to buy from that gives guilds a reason to maintain and defend a keep in the pvp zone.

Originally posted by Xasapis

You know, your comment reminded me a lot of Asian mmorpgs and the ability to either hire retainers or make the player himself a shop of sorts, one that can be placed anywhere in the world. Those same mmorpgs the past few years, have been adding a server wide auction house as both a convenient tool and a way to lessen the amount of players shops active in the world.

Lets disregard for a second the fact that a global AH does not help or hinder an mmorpg being more or less sandbox (also lets disregard that ESO is in no shape or form a sandbox). Thing is, trade needs to happen. Do you really consider spamming zone chat a viable alternative?

I actually don't mind Auction Houses as such, but I do believe that for a long term market improvement, and more important improving the social aspect of a game by adding real rpg traders in our multiplayer games, there is no place for global.

Botting global AH with 3rd part programs without a need to ever speak to a fellow human player is not a positive trait to a game, not in my book.

Which brings me  to the fact that you disregarded - global AH does completely remove a layer of gameplay out of the game.

And as such contributes to a game being more themepark. I don't care if people are lazy and want to be spoon fed whenever something doesn't fit their idea of fun. Following this formula brought us exactly where we are today with majority of mmorpgs. It's time to step away from it.

Originally posted by Anoebis.be

I just unsubbed for this very reason. The fact you need to rely on a third-party forum to do you trading is the most stupid thing I have ever heard. How the hell are they going to control how people trade on these forums?

Before you know it, people start buying and selling items for money.

I did a lot of trading already without the need of forum. So there goes your fact about the need to rely on forums. Which even if we say it's true, how exactly is it stupid? I mean beyond just saying because I feel so, can you actually provide an actual argument why it is bad? I'd like tot to understand your view as I can't see what's bad with helping yourself with a forum if you want to trade?

• immodiumimmodium Member RarePosts: 2,610
    Originally posted by naami

*headdesk*  If this is indeed an official response... it just lowers my already low esteem for ZoS. The need to rely on out of game sources for ingame transactions whatsoever is one of the most absurd moves. So they recognize the issue but suggest an outside website as crutch?

Doh. >.<

Quote (from ZoS):

"You don't necessarily want to do a global auction house for a game with one giant server because that generally leads to all the best gear being available at very, very cheap prices. A lot of times that can trivialize the game. You cannot have a healthy economy when there are no restrictions on getting the best stuff in the game."

This is pure Communism. The idea to control and limit free market to "protect" some assumed weak link, is protectionism and just nothing but hardcore communistic market ideology. I say, let free market balance things out! Governmental protected market, in this case ZoS being the government, has never been good for the economy. Let supply and demand, the rules of free market balance itself out. That's the best for everyone in the long run. Allow everyone to sell anything anytime without hindrances.

This is a game not a real life economic situation. In real life there are finite resources. In a game there are infinite resources. If there was a global auction then everything related to crafting and upgrades would become trivial. They might as well start you off with max crafting and gear on a new character. Unless they made everything more rare but then that would make the game unfun for normal people. 

I hope the developers don't listen to the players again and add it. They are really dumb sometimes.

But that's who dumbs games down, the players. Players don't want to make the effort.

This is only a problem with people who aren't willing to put in a little effort in selling there wares. TBH I'm just getting bored at how easy it is to make gold with a global AH.

I made 800G in 3 weeks in LOTRO a month ago. :/

I like this system. I also like EvEs system. Yes it's global but you do have to pump a fair few hours of training to actually buy from anywhere. You can see where stuff is but you have to at least travel to get it, and the good stuff is in zero sec so getting at that could be a nightmare.

• Sk1ppeRSk1ppeR Member Posts: 511
    Originally posted by immodium
    Originally posted by naami

Doh. >.<

Quote (from ZoS):

This is a game not a real life economic situation. In real life there are finite resources. In a game there are infinite resources. If there was a global auction then everything related to crafting and upgrades would become trivial. They might as well start you off with max crafting and gear on a new character. Unless they made everything more rare but then that would make the game unfun for normal people. 

I hope the developers don't listen to the players again and add it. They are really dumb sometimes.

But that's who dumbs games down, the players. Players don't want to make the effort.

This is only a problem with people who aren't willing to put in a little effort in selling there wares. TBH I'm just getting bored at how easy it is to make gold with a global AH.

I made 800G in 3 weeks in LOTRO a month ago. :/

I like this system. I also like EvEs system. Yes it's global but you do have to pump a fair few hours of training to actually buy from anywhere. You can see where stuff is but you have to at least travel to get it, and the good stuff is in zero sec so getting at that could be a nightmare.

Do tell me how it is a nightmare with a stealthed or highly armored ship. Warping to 0m is a charm. If you don't know it, keep using autopilot and get your ship blown to pieces :) 

Also I don't know why are you guys bitching against auction houses (global ones). You are buying an item that can either be used or soulbound. If you don't see the logic there then I have bad news for you.

• NewmoonNewmoon Member UncommonPosts: 126
    Originally posted by grapevine

It worked for SWG, although there was a trading section on the forum.   It enhanced the community and generated a true feeling of auctions, with bidding wars and enabled different types of  auctions (e.g. setting reserves, etc).  One even had to arrange meeting places to trade with the winners.

I'd not knock it, as i- game auction houses tend to be pretty souless and don't really add that much other than for an instant buying.   Also don't think of being in-game the only means of delivering a game's community.   Other sources actually enhance it.

No, they had the ability to hire vendors so you could leave it and forget it. If it was a cheap item, you could list it on the galaxy wide market (under 50k credits). After a year or so, they added the vendors into the global market as well, as people got tired of running to vendors only to find so and so had quit the game, or was out of goods.

The current market situation is that crafting resources are ALREADY selling for base price- just above vendor price. I have to keep a hand written list of recipes I already know (a step backwards), and a list of prices I sell for.  I already sell crafted goods for slightly more than it cost me to make them. Why? Crappy search feature- people would rather run around in substandard gear than have to deal with the crappy search interface. People already ask inside the trade guilds for people to make armor with their mats, because they got a ton of them from breaking the armor/weapons they've looted all along. I've bought up top end items dirt cheap and broken them simply because I knew the vendor would pay me nearly as much for it.

Lower level crafteds are going for vendor price as people list them as "swap" items, so they can get other people's crafts for breaking xp. Prices cannot drop much further already. Just take the aggravation out already!!!!!

Originally posted by gervaise1
    Originally posted by umcorian

Exactly my thought as well. No political system at work here - they simply decided not to code it. Eve - on a proper megaserver - has a vibrant economy so it can be done - they just don't want to.

Do I have to remind you EvE has ~10 years advantage in development department... not to mention it has entirely different universe so you can't just copy paste a  system over.

Originally posted by Sk1pper

Do tell me how it is a nightmare with a stealthed or highly armored ship. Warping to 0m is a charm. If you don't know it, keep using autopilot and get your ship blown to pieces :) 

Also I don't know why are you guys bitching against auction houses (global ones). You are buying an item that can either be used or soulbound. If you don't see the logic there then I have bad news for you.

If I'm whining it's just that I know how easy it's going to be to make cash in a game that uses a global AH. And cash becoming useless.

I'd just like a bit of difficulty in making money thats all.

• AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,006
    Only works on a small scale due to people saying they are going to buy stuff they aren't going to or people not paying or people advertising stuff they don't have or people withdrawing their items etc.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

Originally posted by immodium

EvE doesn't have global AH system. The best example (which everyone knows) of global AH is WoW. Unless you want to say EvE has same trading system as WoW.... in which case I'd advice you to stop smoking whatever you smoke, it's never too late.

• AnthurAnthur Member UncommonPosts: 961

I don't have an issue with no central AH. But to use third party apps sounds silly too.

Anyway I rarely use the existing guild stores. Tax is much too high. If you want to promote trade, lower the taxes. Works in real life, works in MMOs.

• PiscorePiscore Member UncommonPosts: 263
    Originally posted by Sector13
    InB4 next ESO update removes WASD for click to move. 

+1

l2p

Originally posted by Anthur

I don't have an issue with no central AH. But to use third party apps sounds silly too.

Anyway I rarely use the existing guild stores. Tax is much too high. If you want to promote trade, lower the taxes. Works in real life, works in MMOs.

On the other hand talking to people is not taxed. Neither is using a forum as a way of communication. Trading is suposed to be a social aspect. I despise how trading, like many other features, evolved into a mindless process of clicking a few buttons on your  interface window, possibly using 3rd party apps that do the searching and math instead of yourself, to increase money gains.

And essentialy globalizing the trade is a way of botting your game. Trivialize everything so much that you only need to come and look at the gold stack increasing. Just like you can set up a farming bot, you press a button and it does the work for you.

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    We have already seen that Zenimax's game design and direction of travel are not always consistent with what is tweeted. I don't even regard them as official announcements.

On the other hand talking to people is not taxed. Neither is using a forum as a way of communication. Trading is suposed to be a social aspect. I despise how trading, like many other features, evolved into a mindless process of clicking a few buttons on your  interface window, possibly using 3rd party apps that do the searching and math instead of yourself, to increase money gains.

And essentialy globalizing the trade is a way of botting your game. Trivialize everything so much that you only need to come and look at the gold stack increasing. Just like you can set up a farming bot, you press a button and it does the work for you.

So clogging the zone chat with trade spam is an improvement in your book? As if the guild spam advertisement is not bad enough already?

Seriously, lets get off the fanboy horse and look at the situation objectively. And the problem objectively is that the current implementation of AH doesn't currently work properly even inside the guild implementation. Imagine how much more of a nightmare it would be if they went global.

It is really unfortunate that your sub-average run of the mill free to play low badget mmorpg has better (and working) trading tools compared to a AAA subscription only tittle.

• DEAD.lineDEAD.line Member Posts: 424

It's not just having or not having an AH. Alot of items come from drops, and probably have different levels, can't be used by your class, you don't need it, etc. So, you dump it in the auction house, or anything else, to get rid of it a and make so money.

Which reminds me, does the high level VR gear have decay or gets broken or something? If the best items are hard to get but don't get destroyed, it raises their price higher, but low level gear gets cut, sicne it's 99% useless.

• makasouleater69makasouleater69 Member UncommonPosts: 1,096
    Originally posted by Knotwood

This is probably one of the only major systems I have a problem with in ESO...

The fees are 25%  (The Rent... Is too dam high)

The Guildstores are promoted less by Zenimax then third party websites...   (Hurts the Trade Communities by losing purpose.)

It should be higher if you ask me. As well with the respec. In games like these where nothing brakes, and every one can make everything, you have to have something get rid of the gold. 

To the OP, it def isnt in the wrong direction. Its a attempt to make people happy, since stuff that gets destroyed as you use it seems to make mmorpgs  fail. You cant have a good economy with out stuff that gets taken out of the game due to use. 

I honestly dont think it will work. All it is gonna do is make it alittle less noticeable. You can already see hundreds of bots/ gold spammers. So in months to come, gold is gonna be way over inflated. Who knows though, this might be what fixes it.

Originally posted by Xasapis

So clogging the zone chat with trade spam is an improvement in your book? As if the guild spam advertisement is not bad enough already?

Seriously, lets get off the fanboy horse and look at the situation objectively. And the problem objectively is that the current implementation of AH doesn't currently work properly even inside the guild implementation. Imagine how much more of a nightmare it would be if they went global.

It is really unfortunate that your sub-average run of the mill free to play low badget mmorpg has better (and working) trading tools compared to a AAA subscription only tittle.

A real trader will make his name and try to become a top trader. You know being social, having connections. No spamming needed. Besides I don't even know what spamming is for you? What's wrong with advertising in chat and letting people know you are in for something?

And what fanboy horse. I hardly even thought of TESO when writing those replies. To be frank I care jack shit if TESO makes it or not, it's more of  a filler game for me atm. And I am able to value something even if it doesn't have everything I -want-.

Anyway, what do you mean  by guild store not working?  I personaly tested it and sold a few items so it's working however I refuse to pay 25% for convinience so I rather sell manually.

If you simply mean the interface being bad than I totaly agree but also have no doubt it will evolve, I mean game got released 7 days ago.

A real trader will make his name and try to become a top trader. You know being social, having connections. No spamming needed. Besides I don't even know what spamming is for you? What's wrong with advertising in chat and letting people know you are in for something?

And what fanboy horse. I hardly even thought of TESO when writing those replies. To be frank I care jack shit if TESO makes it or not, it's more of  a filler game for me atm. And I am able to value something even if it doesn't have everything I -want-.

Anyway, what do you mean  by guild store not working?  I personaly tested it and sold a few items so it's working however I refuse to pay 25% for convinience so I rather sell manually.

If you simply mean the interface being bad than I totaly agree but also have no doubt it will evolve, I mean game got released 7 days ago.

Lets see ...

Assume 200.000 subscribers in one of the two megaservers.

Now assume 1% of them, aka, 20.000 advertise once every 2 minutes.

That would be 166 trade messages per second on the whole server. Those messages will probably won't get evenly distributed per zone (major hubs and newbie zones will see more spam). Still

Best scenario possible, out of those 166 messages, only 10 messages per second are getting spammed on your zone.

What do you think a sane person will do? Try to keep up with the spam or disable zone chat?

Originally posted by Whitebeards

Hahaha!! thanks that was funny.

No AH = sandbox. lol

AH as such has zerro to do with a game being sandbox or not.

On the other hand THE WAY an AH is incorporated in game has everything to do with it.

If you actually want to discuss this and not just troll, than I suggest you also read the few other posts I made in this thread, I've already made some explanations regarding this.

But it does kill communities in games that like to play shop.

I've heard a lot about cantinas in SWG and how going to one was beneficial. To me it's like getting rid of that sort of community aspect of the game.