Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars Galaxies: To those of you who played, what are the key features that defined that game fo

Comments

• JacxolopeJacxolope Member UncommonPosts: 1,140

Having an avatar who 'lives' in a virtual world where not everyone is the 'hero' who 'saves the world'... Period.

I hate the Star Wars Universe and honestly think its terrible Sci-Fi...BUT that game NAILED it.

• ThorqemadaThorqemada Member UncommonPosts: 1,282

1) almost a Virtual World
    2) Dynamic Ressource Spawn giving "Prospectors" a Job to do.
    3) Automatic Harvesting almost a Management Minigame
    4) Building experimental Prototypes of all kind of stuff out of the ressources - automated production, so no boring 1000 items production grind, do fun things awhile instead.
    5) In World Shops (lower Prices) Marketing on the server wide Vendor Stations (higher Prices).
    6) Housing and house decoration - City Bulding
    7) The Combat with several "health pools" to target and deathblows - it only needed to be brought into a better synergie between the different combat classes.
    Each of the pools would have debuffed a target when depleating more and more and if the combined pools had reached a certain depleated threshold value unconsciousness would have been apllied to stay in line with the deathblow mechanic.
    8) Socializing Cantinas and Entertainers that had a meaning and offered a non combat activity outside of crafting.
    9) Sci Fi Setting (not a Star Wars fan here - some of the movies be entertaining) though i apreciate the art direction and space travel, the different planets, the Alien ecology etc (Star Wars is Sci Fantasy but that is ok to me).
    10) The many big and little things i forgot...like the freedom in the character development.

"Torquemada... do not implore him for compassion. Torquemada... do not beg him for forgiveness. Torquemada... do not ask him for mercy. Let's face it, you can't Torquemada anything!"

MWO Music Video - What does the Mech say: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FF6HYNqCDLI
    Johnny Cash - The Man Comes Around: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0x2iwK0BKM

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495

Virtual world feel.

SOE created a believable virtual Star Wars World. It had game elements but it was more of a Sim set in the Star Wars Universe.

I still believe the majority of those who bought the game were expecting something more "Star Warsy" as in more of what we know from previous off-line games instead of giving them the freedom to do what ever they feel like doing.

I find it hard to believe a game like SWG even if released like Pre-cu with updated graphics/animations would survive this hostile new MMO community.

And sometimes it's funny when I think about all the bugs and issue's I encountered back in SWG compared to those I encounter today I'dd say today's issue's are pretty minor in comparison. And yet I consider SWG to be the best MMORPG experiance I have ever had.

• ArchlyteArchlyte Member RarePosts: 1,405
    I agree with Reklaw. I most enjoyed being able to explore a large universe and not know what was going to be in that same spot necessarily the next time I went there. There were also some little Easter eggs in the world here and there that I liked finding. I miss that exploration and depth of character. I had a backpack that was an actual bag that displayed as graphic on my character. And I could drop that backpack with all of its contents in my house. Was great.
    MMORPG players are often like Hobbits: They don't like Adventures
  • ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063

What I loved about Vanilla SWG was being able to create and refine my own character along with the town and community that we were able to build. I enjoyed taking a break from my bounty hunting to go collect skins for our town armoursmith as well as participating in whatever events our town mayor came up with. The player economy,resource and crafting system was head and shoulders above any other I've seen and I hope one day another developer picks that idea up and builds on it. 

PS: Hunting down those bratty Jedi and receiving all those hate tells about how I was a loser for setting them back all that XP was the most fun I've EVER had in an MMO :)

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• AtrigoAtrigo Member Posts: 44
    Keeping it to one feature, the profession system. The Creature Handler profession in particular. It will be the one thing that brings me to play AA. 
  • Beatnik59Beatnik59 Member UncommonPosts: 2,413

The attention to detail.

It's the little things that made SWG what it was.

Did they have to spawn as many varieties of resources as they did?  Probably not, but the details that they invested in the system was well appreciated.

Did they have to put in all those idle animations, moods and emotes?  Probably not, but those little details meant a lot.

Did they have to give the creatures out in the wilderness enough AI to where wrixes would stalk and kill the krahbu?  Probably not, but the details went far.

Did they have to put in periodic dust storms and rains, and a day and night cycle, with accompanying music?  No, but that sort of detail went far.

Did they have to create so many unused spaces, strictly there for ambiance?  No, but things like that made it seem like an entire galaxy.

The true damage of the NGE, for me, wasn't the gameplay changes as much as it was about taking a sledgehammer to those little details that maintained the suspension of disbelief.  Where once I had living characters in a living world, I now had what seemed to be dead toons pushed around in a dead galaxy.

"...when it comes to pimping EVE I have little restraints."
    --Hellmar, CEO of CCP.

"It's like they took a gun, put it to their nugget sack and pulled the trigger over and over again, each time telling us how great it was that they were shooting themselves in the balls."
    --Exar_Kun on SWG's NGE

• sarabearrahsarabearrah Member UncommonPosts: 22

Believe it or not I never saw the Star Wars movies, a friend told me about SWG, I got the movies from the library, then I was hooked.

SWG became a calming place for me to escape from reality  to "BE"  part of the Star Wars world.  It was a place where I spent  time chatting with friends or crafting something for someone, I just never got bored with the game, ever.  NO GAME since has captured that feeling OR kept my attention like SWG did.  ahem does.

• NagilumSadowNagilumSadow Member UncommonPosts: 318

Back during the two incarnations of the 250 point system, pre-CU & CU, gaining new skills in and of itself was interesting. 

Some of the most fun elements:

pre-cu & CU era

a) Trandoshian Force cloak gank squads w/Trandoshian regen.

b) The sense of mystery around every corner.

c) finally beating the old-school version of the quest "hero of Tatooine", which was vastly more difficult than the NGE version, was it bugged?

d) The creature AI and random events.

e) Overland pvp

f) Finding a doctor to heal your wounds!

g) The good old days of being verbally abused and threatened during pvp -- a perennial favorite for those of us on the former Bria galaxy.

h) The greatest crafting & resource system  to ever exist in an MMOrpg.

I) Collecting

J) The greatest player housing system to ever exist in an mmorpg, especially in the post-nge.

I could go on and on...

• ExcessionExcession Member RarePosts: 709

The whole was greater than the sum of its parts.

Yes, it had bugs, yes, FOTM builds were rife and OP, yes, they added some truly shit content (hologrind / force sensitive village for example), but it did not matter, until they NGE'd it, SWG was simply FUN.

A creative person is motivated by the desire to achieve, not the desire to beat others.

• hayes303hayes303 Member UncommonPosts: 430
    Originally posted by Byrhofen

The whole was greater than the sum of its parts.

Yes, it had bugs, yes, FOTM builds were rife and OP, yes, they added some truly shit content (hologrind / force sensitive village for example), but it did not matter, until they NGE'd it, SWG was simply FUN.

Bingo, SWG's appeal was for all the grind, bugs, solo groups, etc....it was fun. The whole was greater than the sum of its parts.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    I think for me, what made SWG so great, was the community, player cities were, at least then, something new and exciting, and working together to build them, not just the buildings, but helping each other out generally, was a lot of fun. The crafting was involved, from hunting resources, to get the best ones before someone else did and you couldn't place a harvester, to trying to make a pistol just that bit better than the previous attempt, because you know, your reputation was on the line. To be honest there were so many different things that made SWG great, that on their own probably wouldn't have been all that exciting, but the synergy was good, and escaping the 'grind' of other MMO's of the time was also a big thing, not having levels in the game certainly helped there i think, nor any classes for that matter, you could do something original, though even now i wish i'd tried learning some of the teras kasi combat, after watching a few fights, it looked amazing, though i guess if compare it to more modern games it would probably not look all that great, but back then, it was really something. Besides, bartering a particularly well made weapon for a Bantha was fun too, even better, you could not only ride the thing, but it would defend you, which was handy if your ranger skills were nonexistant image
  • IkifalesIkifales Member UncommonPosts: 305
    Everything you all have said. I loved the community. My tight knit guild. My enemies that got very intense and my allies that were like brothers. The betrayal and drama that occurred was better entertainment than most movies. I still maintain many of the friendships made in that game.

I also loved that how you interacted with the community went a long ways. You gained a reputation on the server.

I also liked that items did not become obsolete. I had gear that was coveted for years.
  • SevalaSevala Member UncommonPosts: 220

Everything nearly everyone else has stated. I will only add "Pre-CU" and "pre-stupid jedi village thing"

Top of my list:

1) The world/Everything ( I do not mean the SW setting)

2) The crafting/resources

3) Profession system (250 pts wherever I wanted)

4) Non-Combat classes

5) Housing/player cities

6) Combat and non-combat classes pulled from the same 250 pt pool... (Oh noes, you could not do EVERYTHING at the same time.../*sarcasm*)

7) Flagged PVP (turn on....turn off....what a simple concept...)

If this game re-launched today (pre-cu and pre-village) I'd sub and play again. Even without any updates or improvements. Its old and broken and still better than anything else offered today. Ugh...now I just want to rage on SOE more/again.

~I am Many~

• CthulhuPuffsCthulhuPuffs Member UncommonPosts: 368

Profession/Skill System

Resources/Crafting/Merchants/Economy

Housing/City System/Community

PvP/Flagging/Overt-Covert

Planetary AND Space Combat

No other game has had anything like it

Bringer of Eternal Darkness and Despair, but also a Nutritious way to start your Morning.

Games Played: Too Many

• syriinxsyriinx Member UncommonPosts: 1,383

resources/gathering/crafting  

the ability to form cities (official or unofficial)

star wars

• syriinxsyriinx Member UncommonPosts: 1,383
    Originally posted by Sevala

If this game re-launched today (pre-cu and pre-village) I'd sub and play again. Even without any updates or improvements. Its old and broken and still better than anything else offered today. Ugh...now I just want to rage on SOE more/again.

1.  Rage on LucasArts, not SoE

2.  What you seek is out there.  This site doesnt like mention of anything specific.

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465
    Originally posted by syriinx
    Originally posted by Sevala

1.  Rage on LucasArts, not SoE

2.  What you seek is out there.  This site doesnt like mention of anything specific.

Not to beat an already dead horse, but SOE and LA were co-producers/publishers so it is a 50/50 split on blame.

Except for the fact that SOE programmed every single (buggy) line of code, which LA had no part of.

So F*** LA, but F*** SOE twice, they get twice the blame for SWG being a POS, in the end.

Originally posted by Burntvet

Not to beat an already dead horse, but SOE and LA were co-producers/publishers so it is a 50/50 split on blame.

Except for the fact that SOE programmed every single (buggy) line of code, which LA had no part of.

So F*** LA, but F*** SOE twice, they get twice the blame for SWG being a POS, in the end.

Well it is your prerogative to be wrong-headed; using a little logical reasoning shows LA to be greedy culprit, but believe whatever you want.

“It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled.” - Mark Twain

Originally posted by syriinx

Yeah, I know all about that. Followed from concept til now...but its still not the same, maybe just too many years of watching killed it for me.

As of right now, I just wait to see how The Repopulation plays out...

~I am Many~

Originally posted by NagilumSadow

Well it is your prerogative to be wrong-headed; using a little logical reasoning shows LA to be greedy culprit, but believe whatever you want.

“It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled.” - Mark Twain

Eh, regardless, I agree with f*** them both. SOE prolly more so since their continued failure existance and ruining even more games since then. Only saving grace for SOE will be Landmark probably, maybe EQN...if they don't manage to screw those up...big IF.  Besides, LA is going bye bye, Mickey Mouse canned them all, so they won't be around to fuel continued rage.

~I am Many~

• BaxslashBaxslash Member UncommonPosts: 237

I loved the fact that the stages you did getting through the exclusive Jedi trials and that line made the game what it truely was about, but, the crafting, and the fact Bio-Engineer was a sought after role, and the entertainers roles where great additions to the game, made it truely well rounded, to bad, no other company refuses to look at these so called support roles at all, and bring them to other games, would bring mmos back to new heights of playing styles if they were to do so :(

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465
    Originally posted by NagilumSadow

You can have your own opinion, but you can't have your own facts.

And the documented facts are, that LA and SOE were Co-everything on that game, as documented in everything ever talking about it. Co-publisher, co-producer, even Smed talking about when they put a bullet in the head of the NGE.

The only one wrong headed, and a "fool" here is you, when looking documented, publicly released facts in the face, and then denying them.

You can have your own opinion, but you can't have your own facts.

And the documented facts are, that LA and SOE were Co-everything on that game, as documented in everything ever talking about it. Co-publisher, co-producer, even Smed talking about when they put a bullet in the head of the NGE.

The only one wrong headed, and a "fool" here is you, when looking documented, publicly released facts in the face, and then denying them.

Unlike yourself, I'm not speaking from a point of emotionalism -- I don't care what you do or don't think. At this point I thought it was obvious to most anyone, but it looks like a couple are still invested in that bitter thought process.

Why would one still be invested in that thought process? Perhaps they've make a lot of perfunctory comments and best and stupid comments at worst toward SoE and have need to justify that narrative even now. 

Whatever the case may be, based on the historical narrative of facts, I thought it was blatantly obvious to most anyone (especially at this point in time) that LA retains has the lion's share of the guilt; LA's greed is legendary and not any one measure one but virtually every field it contacts.

The company that issues a license is never co-equal to the one that receives; as you'll recall the talking heads for change were almost always LA -- SoE dealt with the fallout.

Anyway you brought a smile to my face. Have a good day.

• EvelknievelEvelknievel Member UncommonPosts: 2,964

1st of all Smedley and Lucas are pure evil by destroying SWG.

With that said, I enjoyed the open world feel as well as the class called Creature Handler. Man did I have the setup back then. ATST and 2 Kimogila pets was just simply fantastic while it lasted. Yeah some were using Rancors and Graulers as pets as well, but fondest member was having them pets side by side at my disposable till they nerfed them and I had to set them up as trophies in my guild house :(

Bio engineers and Creature Handlers were simply amazing for me.