Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Elite: Dangerous: Premium Beta Begins Today

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Frontier Developments has announced that the alpha phase of development for Elite: Dangerous has ended and that the premium closed beta is scheduled to begin today. Premium beta players will be able to download a single-player version of the game to play until the full multiplayer version of the game goes live on May 30th.

David Braben, CEO of Frontier, said:

“The Alpha process has worked well for us. We have gradually built out the key elements of the game, first locally, with single player combat, then with a few thousand players across the internet. On 30th May the Premium Beta extends this to many thousands of players worldwide, with an increasingly rich game.

I want to take this opportunity to thank all those who have played such an important role in Alpha testing, and I’m very happy that we will continue to benefit from their valuable input as they test Beta builds approximately 2 weeks in advance of release.

On 30th May we move into a new phase of Premium Beta testing, and I’m delighted to be able to welcome a significant numbers of new players to Elite: Dangerous today.”

Find out more about Elite: Dangerous.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965

Does that mean its feature complete now ? (but without multiplayer)

Trading, missions, all ?

• mcrippinsmcrippins Member RarePosts: 1,626
    This game looks pretty interesting. For those who have been involved - how do you feel?
  • JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410
    295$ to be part of alpha, 150$ to be part of beta, 50$ for regular pre-purchase. that's correct folks, you can now pay 6 times the regular price to play the game in it's most broken and featureless stage (alpha). Alpha is no longer the stage where you help devs test their game, it's now a total cash grab for those rich kids that are too impulsive to wait for regular release. i do not agree with this line of thinking, and this sort of greedy crap completely turns me off this game. 

• MakidianMakidian Member UncommonPosts: 208
    Originally posted by Jakdstripper
    295$ to be part of alpha, 150$ to be part of beta, 50$ for regular pre-purchase. that's correct folks, you can now pay 6 times the regular price to play the game in it's most broken and featureless stage (alpha). Alpha is no longer the stage where you help devs test their game, it's now a total cash grab for those rich kids that are too impulsive to wait for regular release. i do not agree with this line of thinking, and this sort of greedy crap completely turns me off this game. 

Agree, this has gotten way outta hand. I miss the days when you couldn't buy a game until it was done.

• BelkinXBelkinX Member UncommonPosts: 7
    Another cash grab game. Just look at the prices. Buyers beware. You are wasting your money! Not even pre ordering the game.
  • AkarrAkarr Member UncommonPosts: 8
    It's still an option to be a founder... I will wait for realise and give it a go.. good memories with elite
  • AkarrAkarr Member UncommonPosts: 8
    Release even.. sorry for typo
  • Butch808Butch808 Member UncommonPosts: 369

Well if stupid people are prepared to pay over 50$/£ for a product then someone is gonna sell it to them.

No bodies fault except the dumb people who pay to much for something..

• ComanComan Member UncommonPosts: 2,178
    Originally posted by Makidian
    Originally posted by Jakdstripper

Agree, this has gotten way outta hand. I miss the days when you couldn't buy a game until it was done.

Yes because it's insane what people do with there money! right? 

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699

This is one of the very few games being released in the foreseeable future that I am looking forward to.

I will be waiting for the official release though.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• TehutiTehuti Member CommonPosts: 8

Most of the people willing to pay that kind of money are avid fans of the original Elite. Once the game releases, it's going to be priced the same as any other game.

There's no cash grab here. This is a single game developer funding this through Kickstarter and those willing to invest more by taking part in the alphas/betas.

I played the original Elite game back in 1984 on my old Apple IIc. I have many fond memories of that game. It really was revolutionary in many ways. Still the game that I put the most hours into, ever :)