Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[General Article] General: H1ZZZ1: Wake Me When It’s Over

Comments

• Nexus.VanwilderNexus.Vanwilder Member Posts: 7
    Originally posted by Maquiame

Lets just wait and see what happens though I really don't care much

Honestly though I think just going from the Walking Dead angle this is not a solid financial choice in the long run. Unless this game has more than just zombies and pvp surrounding it in the long run this will have no staying power. Don't get me wrong I am happy seeing more non fantasy entries but SOE needs to put as much meat on this thing as possible and throwing around zombies nad group pvp is simply not enough.  Those other zombie types better own.

Yah....you're clearly speaking from a platform of knowledge and experience. You sound like a complete tardkart.

There are too many SWG fanboy's on this thread (OP especially). I'm sorry that SOE ruined your life, they killed a game I loved too (Vanguard Saga of Heroes) but that has nothing to do with this ip. 

All personal attacks aside, it's obvious that you are basing your opinion about the financial viability of this ip on your opinions of the Walking Dead tv series versus the Resident Evil games or movies.

People like myself that are avid fans of this gaming genre (zombie survival) have been waiting for a REAL company with REAL resources to make a REAL game with it. I'm thrilled about this announcement and I can't wait to play it. Oh and the point I was getting to, in response about the financial viability of this ip, is that you have clearly never played DayZ or WarZ  etc.  Zombies and survival is actually enough to keep people interested for a long long time. Adding Sandbox features plus smooth polished AAA (mostly bug / hacker free) gameplay and graphics on top of that is just a bonus. A MASSIVE BONUS. 

In my eyes - This game is going to be the flagship standard for all future survival games and we are going to play the hell out of it !  (until Everquest Next releases) 

• uggeh12uggeh12 Member UncommonPosts: 44
    Originally posted by firefly2003
    Sci-Fi hasnt been done enough in the MMORPG genre....there are still too many fantasy genre themed games than sci-fi and other genres....

This completely. I feel like in a fantasy setting a game is severely limited in where it can go and what it can do because at the end of the day it's still people on horses swinging swords or flinging fireballs. A modern setting is almost as limiting as fantasy and leads to those "dafuq?" moments when you have a guy with a sword fighting against a guy with a gun and I'm supposed to believe that they are fightiing on equal terms. With Sci-Fi though the sky is the limit and you can explain those "dafuq?" moments: a guy with a sword vs guy with gun - guy with sword has cybernetics that allow him to predict and dodge incoming fire. I'm hoping we see more Sci-Fi MMOs in the future because there are so many places you could take a game that way.

• uggeh12uggeh12 Member UncommonPosts: 44
    Originally posted by Nexus.Vanwilder

Yah....you're clearly speaking from a platform of knowledge and experience. You sound like a complete tardkart.

There are too many SWG fanboy's on this thread (OP especially). I'm sorry that SOE ruined your life, they killed a game I loved too (Vanguard Saga of Heroes) but that has nothing to do with this ip. 

All personal attacks aside, it's obvious that you are basing your opinion about the financial viability of this ip on your opinions of the Walking Dead tv series versus the Resident Evil games or movies.

People like myself that are avid fans of this gaming genre (zombie survival) have been waiting for a REAL company with REAL resources to make a REAL game with it. I'm thrilled about this announcement and I can't wait to play it. Oh and the point I was getting to, in response about the financial viability of this ip, is that you have clearly never played DayZ or WarZ  etc.  Zombies and survival is actually enough to keep people interested for a long long time. Adding Sandbox features plus smooth polished AAA (mostly bug / hacker free) gameplay and graphics on top of that is just a bonus. A MASSIVE BONUS. 

In my eyes - This game is going to be the flagship standard for all future survival games and we are going to play the hell out of it !  (until Everquest Next releases) 

I wouldn't use WarZ as an example for anything, that game is an abomination and the very definition of cash grab. Also, not sure if you've played DayZ recently but it is basically a glorified deathmatch with zombies that are more of an annoyance than any sort of actual threat.

Zombies were always more of an annoyance than an actual threat, and that was fine, because that wasn't the fun part. The fun part has always been the glorified PK death match aka - survival. I haven't played DayZ since standalone came out and I don't intend to give any more money to these terrible indie iterations. DayZ was great for what it was, a litmus test for the genre. 
  • benseinebenseine Member UncommonPosts: 293
    Originally posted by kairel182

What do you mean "another" survival horror MMO?  We don't have ANY that exist currently.  DayZ/Rust/Nether/Whatever are NOT MMO's; they're multiplayer games that only allow so many people on one server.  And they're all in super early development.

My thoughts aswell...

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Originally posted by hfztt
    Originally posted by sethman75

Ha ha yeah im glad somebody has said what most people are thinking.

SOE seem to be avoiding creating actual content for their games.

It's not good enough to create a sandbox with nothing in it and say, here you go guys, have fun.

Lazy and slack developing.

Except 10 years of EVE proves you wrong...

EVE? nah. How many PEOPLE play eve? Not how many active accounts does EVE have, but how many original active players does EVE currently support? One player owning 5 accounts is still one person.

Why does that matter? Well, it doesn't for EVE, it's part of EVE's success and I'm not taking that part away from it. However, what is important is that any other game that comes along and tries to look at EVE as a model, has to ask the question "Will this new game be able to emulate the success of the original?" and historically speaking, that's just not done in this genre. So the next MMO has to look long an hard at it's own business model and will the developers have a game where players are going to want multiple accounts? Chances are, they won't. So now looking at EVE in an attempt to replicate EVE's success, EVE doesn't look so appealing.

Counting the original playerbase and not active subscriptions, EVE really is only a niche game.

• xeniarxeniar Member UncommonPosts: 805
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer

It's not good enough to create a sandbox with nothing in it and say, here you go guys, have fun.

EVE? nah. How many PEOPLE play eve? Not how many active accounts does EVE have, but how many original active players does EVE currently support? One player owning 5 accounts is still one person.

Why does that matter? Well, it doesn't for EVE, it's part of EVE's success and I'm not taking that part away from it. However, what is important is that any other game that comes along and tries to look at EVE as a model, has to ask the question "Will this new game be able to emulate the success of the original?" and historically speaking, that's just not done in this genre. So the next MMO has to look long an hard at it's own business model and will the developers have a game where players are going to want multiple accounts? Chances are, they won't. So now looking at EVE in an attempt to replicate EVE's success, EVE doesn't look so appealing.

Counting the original playerbase and not active subscriptions, EVE really is only a niche game.

what does the amount of acounts have to do with the way a game is setup?

being a diffrent setting it brings diffrent limitations. But saying Eve is niche so therefore anything wich is like EVE (sandbox) will be niche is redicolous.

edit: EVE is also such a unique game. I for one cannot get into it because well A not evryone likes sci fi (i do abit tho) b the universe is a tad too grand. Not evryone likes controlling a spaceship like how its done with EVe.

Now when i imagine the EVe mechanics into a modern world zombie mmo where u can build fotreses etc. I can very well get into that.

Zombies were always more of an annoyance than an actual threat, and that was fine, because that wasn't the fun part. The fun part has always been the glorified PK death match aka - survival. I haven't played DayZ since standalone came out and I don't intend to give any more money to these terrible indie iterations. DayZ was great for what it was, a litmus test for the genre. 
    Originally posted by xeniar
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer

what does the amount of acounts have to do with the way a game is setup?

being a diffrent setting it brings diffrent limitations. But saying Eve is niche so therefore anything wich is like EVE (sandbox) will be niche is redicolous.

edit: EVE is also such a unique game. I for one cannot get into it because well A not evryone likes sci fi (i do abit tho) b the universe is a tad too grand. Not evryone likes controlling a spaceship like how its done with EVe.

Now when i imagine the EVe mechanics into a modern world zombie mmo where u can build fotreses etc. I can very well get into that.

"what does the amount of acounts have to do with the way a game is setup?"

Really? Look at Perpetuum. It's an EVE clone. The biggest complaint right now is that it lacks enough of a player base to reach "critical mass" for anyone to be able to play it.

"But saying Eve is niche so therefore anything wich is like EVE (sandbox) will be niche is redicolous."

While this isn't what I said, even still, how is it ridiculous? Any game that is like EVE, is like EVE.

EDIT: I am not implying that SoE's game will be Niche. But I am saying, I am not so sure they are going to create it to be like EVE. Not that it's impossible. Who knows. But if that's the case, it's no SWG successor.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by DEAD.line

I heard Smed dropped the "swg spiritual sucessor" thing on Twitter, but i can't confirm it.

Smed said it on reddit

http://www.reddit.com/r/EQNext/comments/1w2lu2/im_john_smedley_president_of_soe_amaa/cey4rth

zombies in space...

anyhow im curious about the game

Originally posted by Nadia
    Originally posted by DEAD.line

I heard Smed dropped the "swg spiritual sucessor" thing on Twitter, but i can't confirm it.

Smed said it on reddit

http://www.reddit.com/r/EQNext/comments/1w2lu2/im_john_smedley_president_of_soe_amaa/cey4rth

zombies in space...

anyhow im curious about the game

You're a poet and don't even know it.

Every game is a niche game. Nutella is a niche spread. Wolf of Wall Street is a niche movie. Your mom is mainstream though. 

Other than the SWG fanboy's still bitter over the past  *cough* OP *cough*  the large majority of the posters on this thread are merely speculating from the dark recesses of their own ignorant niche biases. 

Trust me, this is a folly. I made the mistake of speculating and deriding something that I had never actually taken the time to look into. It was a little movie you may have heard of, called Twilight. For years I would make fun of it and denounce it and turn down every girl I knew that wanted to go to the movies and watch it. Then one day I went and got it on Redbox with my roommate, and it turns out it's a great series.

Don't make the same mistakes I've made, embrace H1Z1. 

Every game is a niche game. Nutella is a niche spread. Wolf of Wall Street is a niche movie. Your mom is mainstream though. 

Other than the SWG fanboy's still bitter over the past  *cough* OP *cough*  the large majority of the posters on this thread are merely speculating from the dark recesses of their own ignorant niche biases. 

Trust me, this is a folly. I made the mistake of speculating and deriding something that I had never actually taken the time to look into. It was a little movie you may have heard of, called Twilight. For years I would make fun of it and denounce it and turn down every girl I knew that wanted to go to the movies and watch it. Then one day I went and got it on Redbox with my roommate, and it turns out it's a great series.

Don't make the same mistakes I've made, embrace H1Z1. 

You are posting on what looks like an alt account and you say "Trust me"?

• coldsky01coldsky01 Member UncommonPosts: 7

My reaction to H1Z1 when it was revealed: *double facepalm* Another zombie game? Everything else fine, but why zombies?!

Age of reason and progression.

Well, for certain SWG is never coming back, at least not the SWG that you are thinking of. I wish Vanilla WoW would come back, or my virginity for that matter, but they're gone forever.  I wouldn't refer to myself as "well versed" in the history of SWG but it's not some big hush hush secret what SOE did to SWG years ago.

We have to consider that SOE was (now in the shadow of Blizzard) the MMO poster child. They hit a home run their very first swing out of the gate with Everquest. I did that once in real life - first time up to bat in little league (grand slam) I struck out nearly the entire rest of the season. SOE was like Lindsey Lohan, nevermind that's a bad comparison, ~ Robert Downey Jr.  He was hugely successful in his younger years, then went through a long, very long, drug and midget stripper phase and was considered washed up, then, BAM - Iron Man. NOW HE'S IRON MAN. So in a nutshell, Smedley is Lindsey Lohan and SOE is Iron Man. 

The past is past and what's done is done. However, today is a new day and I believe people can learn from their mistakes. Between Landmark, EQN, and now H1Z1  on the horizon, I think SOE is finally becoming the mature LEGENDARY company they were destined to be. 

• AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083
    Originally posted by coldsky01

My reaction to H1Z1 when it was revealed: *double facepalm* Another zombie game? Everything else fine, but why zombies?!

That seems to be the general consensus overall, but if it plays like pre-NGE SWG, I think it will at least have a nice niche following, if not more. I can't think of a worse setting than zombies at this point in time, but if the gameplay itself makes up for it by being superb, it will be a big hit.

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739

I don't know, I will have to wait and see.  I am not a big horror game person, I was surprised and I actually liked TSW a lot, the stories and quests were very well done (and I am a spacebar hitter, and not big on quests in general).  So if it is good, I may play it.  I still am more excited for some of their other offerings, but I probably will have the access pass, as I am probably going to dabble back into EQ, and maybe EQ2, along with Landmark and Next eventually, so I am sure I will try it either way I guess.

I guess the tie in to SWG, would be the crafting depth, building, sandboxish game play, and faction/guild type pvp in a loose way...

I do not think zombie mmos are over done though, maybe co-op or single player, but not mmo imo.

• IAmMMOIAmMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,462

SOE has shown they can't keep a lid on hackers when they choose to have a few days of fun at others expense,even more so over holiday periods if Planetside 2 is anything to go by.

Now here's a FTP MMO where you start from scratch each time you die, on an engine hackers have proven they can pick & choose when they want to ruin the game for many and keep coming back with throw away accounts, and a new spoofed HWID, it won't be pretty.

Hacks going on in a game of this nature where it's already frustrating to start over after you gear up will become rife imho.  I like the concept,but for me personally the starting over mechanic is not for me when I know how SOE has handled hackers from PS2, it would quickly turn into Groundhog Dayz Online.

This is my only account for mmorpg.com, I just haven't taken the time to setup my profile or anything yet. 

Jeez, between here and the responses on Massively http://massively.joystiq.com/2014/04/09/soes-h1z1-is-a-zombie-flavored-sandbox-after-all/ 

the SWG butthurt is never-ever-ending. Who says the zombie genre is overdone? Please, fantasy theme park is overdone,  Sandbox zombie survival has yet to have a real game. Please disregard the ten or so complete garbage indie titles that took a stab at the Minecraft / DayZ bandwagon. 

This is a real game. This is happening.  STAR WARS GALAXIES IS DEAD. IT'S NEVER COMING BACK. NEVER. NEVER EVER EVER. IT'S DEADER THAN WOW. IT'S ALL THE WAY DECEASED. Hey.... maybe it's not dead, maybe it's UNDEAD .... like a  Zombie ?? 

OMG....

SOE revived SWG as a Zombie. I get it now. "Spiritual Successor" 

Well if you say you are new here, then OK, but , it just looks a little suspicious for you who is brand new to this forum to be so well versed in the history of SWG on these boards. I mean you could have silently lurked. But to have kept silent for years and to burst onto the scene now of all times and so dramatically, just seems odd to me.

And to say it's never coming back. Well, the hope rests on Smedly's words for a game so SWG fans can come home.

Well, for certain SWG is never coming back, at least not the SWG that you are thinking of. I wish Vanilla WoW would come back, or my virginity for that matter, but they're gone forever.  I wouldn't refer to myself as "well versed" in the history of SWG but it's not some big hush hush secret what SOE did to SWG years ago.

We have to consider that SOE was (now in the shadow of Blizzard) the MMO poster child. They hit a home run their very first swing out of the gate with Everquest. I did that once in real life - first time up to bat in little league (grand slam) I struck out nearly the entire rest of the season. SOE was like Lindsey Lohan, nevermind that's a bad comparison, ~ Robert Downey Jr.  He was hugely successful in his younger years, then went through a long, very long, drug and midget stripper phase and was considered washed up, then, BAM - Iron Man. NOW HE'S IRON MAN. So in a nutshell, Smedley is Lindsey Lohan and SOE is Iron Man. 

The past is past and what's done is done. However, today is a new day and I believe people can learn from their mistakes. Between Landmark, EQN, and now H1Z1  on the horizon, I think SOE is finally becoming the mature LEGENDARY company they were destined to be. 

Here's a cool Youtube video about  SWG I watched a while back ~

LOL, Interesting comparison. I wonder how Smed would take being called Lindsay Lohan. But you speak as if it's a done deal. It isn't yet. EQN still needs to launch before anyone can even think about its success. Then it actually has to succeed.

Successful or not, either way, I doubt very much that H1Z1 is going to be the spiritual successor to SWG.  I think Smedly used a couple of similarities in a couple of design elements at some fundamental level and put a spin on it when he made the statements he made. It will be as much of a spiritual successor to SWG as EQN will be the spiritual successor to EQ1. In fact probably even less so....if that's possible.

SoE made it clear that they were not interested in a game to please the original EQ community in it's place, they want a game to appeal to broader demographic for the EQ franchise. Given that, I doubt very much that Smed is pursuing the original SWG community. Instead they are going to go after a broader demographic. And if in the process, Smed can tie in his new project to SWG, why not? It may have some appeal to some SWG fans, But I don't think any of the old SWG die-hards are going to feel at home in this game. Well, maybe they will, but I don't think it will be due to the similarities to SWG.

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    Originally posted by uggeh12
    I loved SWG and would love a spiritual successor  to it, but fuck me another damn zombie survival game? I can't be the only person that is sick and tired of the over-saturation of zombie games/movies/TV shows/etc. we've seen over the past few years, right?

Right there with you; and the game is not 3rd person shooter, he said first person. I love me some Bioshock, but FFS in MMO it's just meh.

SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• DauntisDauntis Member UncommonPosts: 600
    Originally posted by mbd1968

My gameplay prediction:

• Spend 30 minutes looking for a can of beans, don't find one, die of starvation, start again.
    • Spend 30 minutes looking for a can of beans, find one, get killed for another player for your beans, start again.
    • Don't trust anyone because they will kill you and steal your beans. so you run around on your own. Got to love that community spirit.
    • If you survive long enough to get weapons, kill other players on sight and steal their beans before they do it to you.

DayZ created a community of a-holes, this game will be the same. At least it's f2p.

Exactly this... building srtructures in a game of ganking headshots is a bullshit pipedream. You will never have time to gather or build without getting zipped in the head. Well unless you are in a roving gang of assholes.

Help support an artist and gamer who has lost his tools to create and play: http://www.gofundme.com/u63nzcgk

• RageGoriaRageGoria Member UncommonPosts: 61
    mother of beans