Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: H1Z1 Explained in Letter from Smed

Comments

• TbauTbau Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 401
    Originally posted by Distopia
    Originally posted by Foomerang

"I made a 1911 the other day"

That sentence worries me. Is this going to be another secret world fail crafting system? The thought of gathering ore and out pops a semi automatic weapon makes me a little sad.

I had the same thought reading that, I'd think we'd have Jerry-rigged weapons in this type of environment TBH, not bases that need molds etc, IE an exact 1911.. Makes no sense.

Actually all future SOE MMOs are going to be using Player Studio, they are even implementing it for past MMOs, even EQ1. You will be able to create things in it, and if it passes QC, have it imported in game. They have been saying in their Landmark roundtables they if everything pans out, Landmarks crafting/gathering/building tools will be in all upcoming games as well.

If they manage to create more tools for Landmark, I can see that as a great thing. So, if this is the case, building bases in this game will work.

EDITED TO ADD: Currently it works like this. You can go out and for example, mine rock which you take to a specific crafting table and turn that rock into something useable which you can then place piece by piece to slowly build whatever it is you are going to build. It isn't a "Mine 1000 rocks and poof, you craft a wall.

Its more of a brick by brick placement.

There is also the option of transforming the land and "painting" it with rock. Don't know if that's going to stay or be re-worked though cause the game is in early stages.

• KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286
    Looks interesting. Will have to keep an eye on this one.
  • sneakerz007sneakerz007 Member UncommonPosts: 95
    Originally posted by Gruug
    While I like the concept of the game, I am disappointed in the so-called "free to play" aspect. I just read an article that states that 25 percent of those that play these so-called f2p titles actually pay money. That means that 1 person pays to allow 3 people to play for free. There is something very wrong with that. So, this new SOE title is going to go the same route...another ding joint.

I also heard this somewhere. I think it was an article on neverwinter about how the people that do pay or buy from the cash shops are actually paying for others to enjoy the game for free as well. I don't think its fair either. I know this is a bit off topic but why don't they just reduce the monthly sub fee to something a little more affordable like 9.99 and that way everyone pays, still have the cash shops and devs get paid too for their work. It just seems like if people don't pay 14.99 then it's ftp. SMH

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505
    Originally posted by bobfish
    If it has PvE servers, I'll try it, not a zombie fan, but quite like my sandbox games.

then you are best looking at Everquest Landmark if you like sandbox games :)

• xeniarxeniar Member UncommonPosts: 805
    Originally posted by Kicksave321
    Originally posted by Tbau
    Originally posted by Kicksave321
    Originally posted by Tbau

If this is supposed to be there "SWG" successor, it isn't going to work.

So you want Falling skies instead of The walking dead.  

There you go, since you seemed to have missed it the first time. Even with the misspelling that I didn't notice before.

I didn't miss it the 1st time.  Just don't think that will matter to the swg players.  I don't think it's so much sci if or modern world they care about it's more sandbox features over theme park features they want and won't care what skin it's in. 

Guess Smeds and soe chose to go with what's hot right now and that's zombies not aliens.  

Some people are just incredibly short sighted. "but it does not haz my spaceships... /cry"

Its the features/ the core mechanics wich made swg what it is. The star wars IP does not contribute alot. People want to have that sense of community again. And they are able to set it up that way.

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912
    Not interested in the genre. Never was. Never will be. *shrug*

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• KazaraKazara Member UncommonPosts: 1,086
    I am hoping for a consensual PvP server that allows for indestructible personal structures. Throw in some needed and viable non-combatant professions or skills and it will be more SWG-ish in terms of features. I would like to see a creature handler type of profession with mutant critters to tame or create. image

• corpusccorpusc Member UncommonPosts: 1,341
    Originally posted by DMKano
    In other words - its DayZ with 1000s of playrs. Not sure why it took a wall of text to explain a zombie survival game.

his target audience isn't people that can't grasp various elements, and can't process the given information.

---------------------------

Corpus Callosum    

---------------------------

• SwampRobSwampRob Member UncommonPosts: 1,003
    I really hope it focuses much, much more on survival and run and gun is a very small part of the game.
    Originally posted by SwampRob
    I really hope it focuses much, much more on survival and run and gun is a very small part of the game.

Bullets should be really scarce. We should be walking with bats and stuff think dead island (i know there where guns in dead island but really? i never had one equiped couldnt get alot of bullets anyway. id mash away with my club)

• RebelScum99RebelScum99 Member Posts: 1,090
    Originally posted by lizardbones

"[M]ultiple rulesets".  They are dodging one bullet right off the bat. :-)

Yup.  First thing I did was skim the letter looking for the word, "permadeath" to see if I shoud avoid this game.  

Anyway, as far as the game goes...Smed is saying the right things in terms of what I personally want out of a survival MMO.  Unfortunately, he ALWAYS says the right things.  The finished product generally ends up being quite a bit less, however.  SOE always seems to have great ideas, but piss-poor execution.  I'll keep my eye on this just the same, because I like the concept.  I've always wanted to play a AAA version of Fallen Earth.

Originally posted by RebelScum99

Yup.  First thing I did was skim the letter looking for the word, "permadeath" to see if I shoud avoid this game.  

Anyway, as far as the game goes...Smed is saying the right things in terms of what I personally want out of a survival MMMO.  Unfortunately, he ALWAYS says the right things.  The finished product generally ends up being quite a bit less, however.  I'll keep my eye on this just the same, because I like the concept.  I've always wanted to play a AAA version of Fallen Earth.

you should try reddit http://www.reddit.com/r/h1z1 I think i saw something about when dieing you drop your loot at that location. Or that it is planned atleast. now thats oke i think just depends on how spawning works. I mean if im afilliated with a group and we have a base and stuff i wouldnt want spawn on the other side of the continent. (specially if they want to make it as big as america) So we will see.

• TurnbasedTurnbased Member Posts: 4
    If done right will be a lot of fun.  I like that SOE has been closely involved with the community on reddit about this game. That alone shows me they're serious about making a great zombie sandbox mmo
  • thestorytellthestorytell Member Posts: 18

I loved EQ1. I loved EQ2 until they ruined it (years before F2P), I 'm not interested in EQ next.

But I am game for H1Z1.

Because there is a single thing where I completely trust SOE: To develop large scale sandbox games that DO work.

• Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662

If Smed and company can deliver anything close to TLOU (The Last of Us) online, I'll be all over this game. Just keep resources out of your cash shop. You can put in blueprints or boost in there, hell maybe even some protection services or something. But do not put in your cash shop anything players themselves can gather/craft. All it will do is invite misery.

The scenario I want played out is me and my camp have taken up residence in a abandoned school. We are running low on supplies but one of our scouting parties has located a supermarket a few miles away. We have to act fast in order to claim possible supplies inside as they spotted another group combing the area. So we put together a small team of raiders but decide only bring one rifle just in case things go bad and we are forced to abandon (die and drop) our weapons.

On the way there we spot a truck one of our mechanics can repair to make the journey faster. Once repairs are made we decide to park and take cover a distance from the location in order to keep things to our advantage. Once we make our way inside we discover that the other raiders are already engaged in a fire fight with a horde of zombies.

• Do we ambush them as they're about to finish off the last zombies?
    • Do we forgo attacking and look for supplies while they are busy?
    • Do we assist in the fight in order to befriend the other raiding party in hopes they will share what they have?
    • Or do we hang loose and tail them back to their own camp and risk bigger rewards?
    It's all about how SoE sets the pace and difficulty of the zombies. Set the pace too fast and make the zombies too easy and all you have is PS2 (zombie mode).

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731
    While we wait for this people should take a look at games like Therian Saga for the Sandbox fix or Project Zomboid (with or without multiplayer) for their survival fix :).

Originally posted by Ramonski7

If Smed and company can deliver anything close to TLOU (The Last of Us) online, I'll be all over this game. Just keep resources out of your cash shop. You can put in blueprints or boost in there, hell maybe even some protection services or something. But do not put in your cash shop anything players themselves can gather/craft. All it will do is invite misery.

The scenario I want played out is me and my camp have taken up residence in a abandoned school. We are running low on supplies but one of our scouting parties has located a supermarket a few miles away. We have to act fast in order to claim possible supplies inside as they spotted another group combing the area. So we put together a small team of raiders but decide only bring one rifle just in case things go bad and we are forced to abandon (die and drop) our weapons.

On the way there we spot a truck one of our mechanics can repair to make the journey faster. Once repairs are made we decide to park and take cover a distance from the location in order to keep things to our advantage. Once we make our way inside we discover that the other raiders are already engaged in a fire fight with a horde of zombies.

• Do we ambush them as they're about to finish off the last zombies?
    • Do we forgo attacking and look for supplies while they are busy?
    • Do we assist in the fight in order to befriend the other raiding party in hopes they will share what they have?
    • Or do we hang loose and tail them back to their own camp and risk bigger rewards?
    It's all about how SoE sets the pace and difficulty of the zombies. Set the pace too fast and make the zombies too easy and all you have is PS2 (zombie mode).

exactly what people want.

They don't want a dayz online with a masive amount of griefers. this game should be more about player interaction. rather then plain killing each other. We will have to wait and see if sir smed is onto that idea. and if he is if the game will actually go there. Time will tell.

• ITPalgITPalg Member UncommonPosts: 314
    Originally posted by Allein
    Originally posted by DMKano
    In other words - its DayZ with 1000s of playrs. Not sure why it took a wall of text to explain a zombie survival game.

I know right, you should really get into marketing/PR.

I have a few already, Wildstar = WoW in Space, ESO = Skyrim Online, Landmark = Pretty Minecraft. Man this is easy.

So stupid of them to try and answer questions before they are asked and get the hype train rolling on their product.

I do feel bad for DayZ/Rust though, game over for them.

Fun fact: ESO was in development before Skyrim.

Landmark is far from being " a pretty Minecraft" when done. Apparently you don't follow Landmark's news or play the game. Think of Landmark on full completion as Minecraft + Perfect World Entertainment's Foundry system ("create your own MMOG") + Storybricks AI that will be used in Landmark and Next (maybe even H1Z1?).

twitch.tv/itpaladin
    @ITPalg
    YouTube: ITPalGame

• AzorAhai-ArchangelAzorAhai-Archangel Member UncommonPosts: 27

I'd just like to point out that technically the Earth would not be able to sustain itself for five years (let alone fifteen) if an unchecked "zombie" virus was allowed to roam free. There would be no food source EXCEPT uninfected humans. By conservative standards, that food source would run out in about 3/4 years. Taking that into account along with the criminal opportunists and closet psychopaths, fifteen years is a bunch of crap. Even the Biblical Apocalypse (which might include but not be limited to just Zombies) is only prophecized to last seven years. There's NO WAY humanity would survive for fifteen years. It's scientifically impossible. So there's that.

Secondly - Do we seriously need another zombie MMO (or any other kind of zombie game for that matter)? Of all the genres that are out there being represented in MMOs, I'd say the Sci-Fi genre is the one most lacking. We have WildStar, The Repopulation, Star Citizen and a few other big ones, but in a sea of Fantasy and now Zombie MMOs, the playing field needs a little more leveling out. Just my 2 cents.

• ITPalgITPalg Member UncommonPosts: 314
    Originally posted by bcbully
    Good thing they are using the planetside 2 roadmap system and not the landmark erase/rename/we never said that roadmap system....

I wasn't aware that Planetside 2 was still in beta...

twitch.tv/itpaladin
    @ITPalg
    YouTube: ITPalGame

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731
    Originally posted by askanison40

I'd just like to point out that technically the Earth would not be able to sustain itself for five years (let alone fifteen) if an unchecked "zombie" virus was allowed to roam free. There would be no food source EXCEPT uninfected humans. By conservative standards, that food source would run out in about 3/4 years. Taking that into account along with the criminal opportunists and closet psychopaths, fifteen years is a bunch of crap. Even the Biblical Apocalypse (which might include but not be limited to just Zombies) is only prophecized to last seven years. There's NO WAY humanity would survive for fifteen years. It's scientifically impossible. So there's that.

Secondly - Do we seriously need another zombie MMO (or any other kind of zombie game for that matter)? Of all the genres that are out there being represented in MMOs, I'd say the Sci-Fi genre is the one most lacking. We have WildStar, The Repopulation, Star Citizen and a few other big ones, but in a sea of Fantasy and now Zombie MMOs, the playing field needs a little more leveling out. Just my 2 cents.

There are maybe 3 if you count browser based games and H1Z1. Also as far as Sci-Fi... there are allot more than that just take a good look.

As for the other point... well...if a zombie virus is going around and it is prevalent enough, see The Walking Dead type, everyone's infected, virus, then science goes out the windows because it is just theory and it is based, by what I know, on standard viral and bacterial dispersion and pandemic evolution.

That said I will wait to see what H1Z1 brings to the table because it will be F2P which means I lose absolutely nothing trying it (kinda have a fondness for zombie games and the popularity of zombies in general is easily explained, look here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohC10rUuuF4 for a eloquent explanation by a pretty smart group of people ).

• RebelScum99RebelScum99 Member Posts: 1,090
    Originally posted by xeniar

Anyway, as far as the game goes...Smed is saying the right things in terms of what I personally want out of a survival MMMO.  Unfortunately, he ALWAYS says the right things.  The finished product generally ends up being quite a bit less, however.  I'll keep my eye on this just the same, because I like the concept.  I've always wanted to play a AAA version of Fallen Earth.

you should try reddit http://www.reddit.com/r/h1z1 I think i saw something about when dieing you drop your loot at that location. Or that it is planned atleast. now thats oke i think just depends on how spawning works. I mean if im afilliated with a group and we have a base and stuff i wouldnt want spawn on the other side of the continent. (specially if they want to make it as big as america) So we will see.

And I'd be fine with that.  It's a survival game, so I want dying to be meaningful, and painful.  Just not permanent.  

Originally posted by xeniar

And I'd be fine with that.  It's a survival game, so I want dying to be meaningful, and painful.  Just not permanent.  

yeah but without any skillevels (something i picked up, have not seen the actual conformation or source) dieing and lossing your stuff actually is perma death in a sense.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

I find it hard to believe anyone thinks this game will be good.  Smedley is delusional if he thinks this is the next SWG, not even close in a thousand years....

If you are impressed by SOE and this announcement you have really low standards.  All it is is Dayz with a some crafting added. Good luck with that.  Go try playing Dayz for a couple weeks, you will be bored out of your mind.  H1Z1 will not be any better.   The pve in most games is more challenging than fighting zombies.  If they go with starting you with nothing, that will fall flat on it's face too.  We have already watched several games self destruct using a similar scheme.

I have to laugh at Smedley, he is so predictable it is pathetic.

• vixionvixion Member UncommonPosts: 6
    this game looks and sounds freaking amazing! all the idiots complaining just leave it and go play whatever other games you play. built on the planet side 2 engine it will be so much better than dayz, better vehicle physics and way better performance, also it's a freaking city not miles and miles of trees and then a tiny town with always the same buildings. this game will be great. all the haters need to get their head out of the toilet