Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Worth buying? Yes, or no?

Stimos8Stimos8 Member UncommonPosts: 163

Hi, as the title suggests, I am trying to work out whether or not this game will be worth it for me. I am greatly looking forward to the release of Wildstar in less then 2 months, I have been waiting on that game for years, and beta just reaffirmed the total awesomeness of it. Anyway, I did also try the Eso beta, and i was greatly looking forward to the game, before trying beta, but after i played eso for about a day, I actually couldn't stand to log on/ play it anymore, it just felt static, not interactive and rather bad.

I have played every Mmorpg out, wow, for almost 10 years now, and every big Mmorpg since then. Elder scrolls is the only one, that I havent bought into straight at launch, simply because, I dont know if I will get that much out of it. However, as it is atm, I am finding that there is nothing to do, so the question is, should I play it? Is it worth the price of 100 dollars? will it last me for longer then 2 months? How long does it take to reach max level? what can you do for endgame, at max level? And what are some totally awesome features (if any) that the game has? Because since there is nothing else out atm, that I am playing, I need something to tide me over until the totally awesome, Wildstar is released.

:) Thanks for your help and lets discuss this game!

Please make sure to respond starting with a "Yes" or a "No", purely based on your opinion and why, not taking into consideration anyone else/ my state on the game.

Comments

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015
    Originally posted by Stimos8

I did also try the Eso beta, and i was greatly looking forward to the game, before trying beta, but after i played eso for about a day, I actually couldn't stand to log on/ play it anymore, it just felt static, not interactive and rather bad.

Then the answer would be no.

Otherwise I'm loving it, love the quests and the exploring and the character building.

"end game" is pvp or various expert dungeons and they will be releasing adventure zones.

But if you didn't like it then I don't think you should waste your money (hundred dollars? doesn't cost that much)

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • Agent_JosephAgent_Joseph Member UncommonPosts: 1,361

yeah it is funy TES  game with mp+co-op components ,better  than  Skyrim but worst compared with Morowind & Oblivion.

There is nothing new or better than in other games on mmorpg market ,but we got TES online game what is good .

• RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785

Hi, as the title suggests, I am trying to work out whether or not this game will be worth it for me. I am greatly looking forward to the release of Wildstar in less then 2 months, I have been waiting on that game for years, and beta just reaffirmed the total awesomeness of it.

No.

ESO is not the game for you. Sounds like you're bored while you're waiting, but if Wildstar is your itch, then no other MMO will scratch it. Play single player games/mobas until its release.

• QuagliaQuaglia Member Posts: 60

Well, no. Don't buy it. You already know you don't like it.

As for myself, I can't just wait to have more time to play. I love ESO and I'm having great fun.

As I stated many times before on this forum, ESO relighed my love for the genre. In the past games I played I used to group and interact only with well known guildies and RL friends, now I have once again the love for the chat zone, the PUGs and the social aspect of a MMORPG.

The game for me is simply fantastic.

• ohioastroohioastro Member UncommonPosts: 534

The game plays best if you approach it as its own game, not as a generic MMO template.  There are fully voice acted quests and there is a lot of in-game lore.  If you listen to the quests instead of clicking through them, read the books, explore, and so on you'll have a good ride.  If you're looking for something to do for a few months there is absolutely enough content for that.  The developers estimated ~ 150 hours of content per alliance, or 450 hours in total, and based on my experience I think that this is completely fair.  If you simply click through to go from A to B, which was certainly my MMO norm before this game, you'll likely find it lacking.  You gain a lot from exploring too, and quests are not handed to you on a platter - you need to discover locations to find the related quest lines.

If you're focused on simply skipping to the end game the primary current draw is PvP, which I think is well done.  If you like that you can actually jump in as early as level 10, so within a few hours of starting.  I like the combat system a lot - once I got what they were aiming at doing.  You can only slot a few abilities, so the focus is on choosing the right ones, e.g. class design.  Rather than being cooldown based abilities the combat is resource based, so you'll find that gear and passive abilities (such as enhanced regeneration) will have a substantial impact on your experience.  If you pick a restricted set and just use it over and over you'll probably find it dull.

So whether its worth it to you or not depends on whether you want to approach it as designed or if you want to treat it as a typical MMO.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    No one knows what you like better than you.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• bentrimbentrim Member UncommonPosts: 299
    I know a lot of people that have the same feeling that I do. I really like ESO. When I tried beta WS, thought it was the worst game (maybe) that I have ever played. But try it on for yourself. If you can afford the C-note, have a little fun for a couple months then move on. 
  • NaqajNaqaj Member UncommonPosts: 1,673

For me, it's "no".

For you, it's "ask again in a month".

• cybertruckercybertrucker Member UncommonPosts: 1,117

My  recommendation is absolutely not. Why waste the money. In 2 months you are for sure going to be going over to windstar. Patience is a virtue they say, I say have some. Wait for what you know you want. If you just want to throw  your money away. I will gladly give you my address lol.

You claim you have bought every major release since wow, and then claim you have nothing to do?  How is that possible. I say go back and revisit one of those. I'm sure you found enjoyment in at least a few of them.  And I'm sure they have all had updates since you left  them. Go check them out while you wait.

• SoMuchMassSoMuchMass Member Posts: 548

I will tell you your future already.  You are going to play WoWStar and then around the mid 30s you will realize this game is more like Aion than WoW.  You will quit the game around the 40s and then look for another game.  You will either try WoW or ESO.

My suggestion go play WildStar, and then you will realize it isn't worth investing the time there.  So you will look for actual good games.

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072

Hi, as the title suggests, I am trying to work out whether or not this game will be worth it for me. I am greatly looking forward to the release of Wildstar in less then 2 months, I have been waiting on that game for years, and beta just reaffirmed the total awesomeness of it. Anyway, I did also try the Eso beta, and i was greatly looking forward to the game, before trying beta, but after i played eso for about a day, I actually couldn't stand to log on/ play it anymore, it just felt static, not interactive and rather bad.

I have played every Mmorpg out, wow, for almost 10 years now, and every big Mmorpg since then. Elder scrolls is the only one, that I havent bought into straight at launch, simply because, I dont know if I will get that much out of it. However, as it is atm, I am finding that there is nothing to do, so the question is, should I play it? Is it worth the price of 100 dollars? will it last me for longer then 2 months? How long does it take to reach max level? what can you do for endgame, at max level? And what are some totally awesome features (if any) that the game has? Because since there is nothing else out atm, that I am playing, I need something to tide me over until the totally awesome, Wildstar is released.

:) Thanks for your help and lets discuss this game!

Please make sure to respond starting with a "Yes" or a "No", purely based on your opinion and why, not taking into consideration anyone else/ my state on the game.

You basically said that you tried the game and you dont like it, so is there really any point in hearing people giving their own "yes or no" opinions based on their own habits of finding fun in games that possibly does not reflect those of yours.

If you find the game any fun I guess you could play it until Wildstar that you are waiting for comes out, but since it seems it's not really your slice of pie, ESO that is, I'd suggest you force your self not to play any MMORPG until WS comes out and have totally fresh and awesome experience for having been away from MMO's for a while.

• killion81killion81 Member UncommonPosts: 995

My default recommendation is take the money you would have spent on new game you are unsure about and buy the Pathfinder Core Rule Book and Advanced Player's Guide.  Then look up your local Pathfinder Society and go play (after creating a PFS legal character).  Check out paizo.com for more info on Pathfinder Society.

I should mention that if you have any phobia of public places or people, this is a terrible idea.  However, if you generally enjoy the company of other people and like to get out once in a while, this is a great thing to do once a week or a few times per month.

• CrazyhorsekCrazyhorsek Member UncommonPosts: 272

hell yes. Negative people are the worse... the game is a blast and has so many things done right that you can survive the few bugs that still exist - which btw are being corrected swiftly.

The only ones not having fun are this grumpy people on this forum... a very very small vocal minority - why vocal? Because the rest of us are having too much fun playing the game... cant be bothered to come here and be pissed about 1 quest thats bugged in 150 quests done lol

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by killion81

My default recommendation is take the money you would have spent on new game you are unsure about and buy the Pathfinder Core Rule Book and Advanced Player's Guide.  Then look up your local Pathfinder Society and go play (after creating a PFS legal character).  Check out paizo.com for more info on Pathfinder Society.

I should mention that if you have any phobia of public places or people, this is a terrible idea.  However, if you generally enjoy the company of other people and like to get out once in a while, this is a great thing to do once a week or a few times per month.

or you can buy ESO and do something similar

can find local RPG gaming groups through meetup   http://roleplaying-games-rpgs.meetup.com/

theres no real need to buy rpg books in advance

• venatsvenats Member Posts: 106
    No, its not worth buying, especially given you're opening paragraph.
  • FoobarxFoobarx Member Posts: 451

If you have to ask, then the answer is a resounding "NO!!!!!!!!!!!!"

98% of the people playing ESO right now will be playing Wildstar in less than 2 months.

If you can't wait that long, then you have no life.  Time to go and get a life.  

• Stimos8Stimos8 Member UncommonPosts: 163
    Originally posted by SoMuchMass

I will tell you your future already.  You are going to play WoWStar and then around the mid 30s you will realize this game is more like Aion than WoW.  You will quit the game around the 40s and then look for another game.  You will either try WoW or ESO.

My suggestion go play WildStar, and then you will realize it isn't worth investing the time there.  So you will look for actual good games.

I have played throughout most of the beta, and loved every single aspect of wildstar? What solid, factual evidence do you have to prove that its not a good game over those levels? Other then your judgemental nonsense. Also, if you have played the game, you would understand that the game has 2 things similar to wow, that is, cartoony art style and pvp arenas, apart from that, nothing is similar, that mmo's commonly don't share. Eso, is far more similar, as it is fantasy based, not that a wow clone is even bad... Wow was, at one point, an awesome game, anyway. Also, please don't speak about a game that is without a doubt, awesome (based on played experience) and then judge it, based on your circumstantial, biased and non existent evidence, and conclude it to be bad, when it clearly is not.

• CrazyhorsekCrazyhorsek Member UncommonPosts: 272
    Shouldnt you be in the Wildstar forums watching huge low-res textures then?

Originally posted by bentrim
    I know a lot of people that have the same feeling that I do. I really like ESO. When I tried beta WS, thought it was the worst game (maybe) that I have ever played. But try it on for yourself. If you can afford the C-note, have a little fun for a couple months then move on. 

Yeah I can totally understand what you mean, people have their preferences. I did try elder scrolls for a whole day though, and i did not really enjoy any part of it, just played it out of boredom, it still didn't do it for me, which is the only pull back I am facing. Also WS is a really awesome game, I recommend, if you haven't, to at least try it past level 25 :) before that, the game isn't anything amazing, but later on, it becomes totally awesome.

• NyghthowlerNyghthowler Member UncommonPosts: 392

i was greatly looking forward to the game, before trying beta, but after i played eso for about a day, I actually couldn't stand to log on/ play it anymore, it just felt static, not interactive and rather bad.

Going by that sentence I wonder why you would even be here asking if this wasn't intended to be a Troll post intended to start another flame war...?

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015
    Eso, is far more similar, as it is fantasy based, not that a wow clone is even bad...

ESO is not a wow clone.

If fantasy is your criteria for being a wow clone then Every fantasy mmo every made is a wow clone.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
    Originally posted by Foobarx

If you have to ask, then the answer is a resounding "NO!!!!!!!!!!!!"

98% of the people playing ESO right now will be playing Wildstar in less than 2 months.

If you can't wait that long, then you have no life.  Time to go and get a life.  

hahaha, really? The hype for wildstar seems at a pretty decent position, it isn't over hyped, and isn't under hyped. There are repercussions to both, so being in the middle is pretty awesome. And yeah, you are right, well, to some extent, like I do have a life (I am living) but yeah, I could probably do with being more social, I mean I do go to uni and stuff, but I don't deal with stress so well, and that's why i generally like to have a game (mmo) to escape to sometimes, haha. And when there isn't one you can enjoy, its hard to escape to anything, when it is needed :)

Originally posted by Sovrath
    Eso, is far more similar, as it is fantasy based, not that a wow clone is even bad...

ESO is not a wow clone.

If fantasy is your criteria for being a wow clone then Every fantasy mmo every made is a wow clone.

Did I call ESO a wow clone? I merely stated one criteria that both the games shared. Then I stated a point, saying that even if every criteria was the same, it wouldn't be bad. But I never said Eso was a wow clone :) Re-read if not sure, My writing may have been a bit unclear, sorry. :)

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

This whole thread is suspect.

I don't like this game, it's boring.  Should I buy it to waste time til the game I want (that's totally more awesome) comes out?

Right in the ESO forums. lol

• theoldgods666theoldgods666 Member Posts: 34
    So much trolling in this thread when the guy asked a simple question.