Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I seem to have burned myself out at level 23 and 4 Days in Game Played.

Comments

• venatsvenats Member Posts: 106
    Originally posted by Tibernicuspa

I played 3 beta weekends and I did not find a single dungeon that wasn't a tiny linear dinky thing. Does this hold true for the whole game?

I was initially excited by public dungeons, a return to golden age MMO standard....except they're designed just like instanced dungeons. Linear with a boss at the end, fit for maybe 8 people max.

The big main quest setpiece dungeon that you need a group for... 100% linear and completely boring, just like all the LotRO, WoW, and "modern" dungeons.

Is there anything closer to DAoC or EQ or Vanguard dungeons?

Bumping this because I really want an answer.

All the public dungeons are reused corridors and layouts and scenery. They vary from short to "I walked in the room and I was done" short.

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Dear Diary,

Over the past 144 hours, I have spent 96 of them playing one video game. For some strange reason, I am now burned out. The end.

• TibernicuspaTibernicuspa Member UncommonPosts: 1,199
    Originally posted by venats

I played 3 beta weekends and I did not find a single dungeon that wasn't a tiny linear dinky thing. Does this hold true for the whole game?

I was initially excited by public dungeons, a return to golden age MMO standard....except they're designed just like instanced dungeons. Linear with a boss at the end, fit for maybe 8 people max.

The big main quest setpiece dungeon that you need a group for... 100% linear and completely boring, just like all the LotRO, WoW, and "modern" dungeons.

Is there anything closer to DAoC or EQ or Vanguard dungeons?

Bumping this because I really want an answer.

All the public dungeons are reused corridors and layouts and scenery. They vary from short to "I walked in the room and I was done" short.

Oh, great. So I see when Matt Firor said he wanted massive public dungeons, and the publishers forced him to focus on linear questing and phasing, they just got left by the wayside. Good. Good.

Fuck this.

• TalemireTalemire Member UncommonPosts: 839
    Originally posted by Bigdaddyx

And i thought i play a lot. ;p

By the way interesting chat going on there. The community in this game is just really immature.

Aye, that was my first thought too.

Isaiah 41:10
  • TweFojuTweFoju Member UncommonPosts: 1,235

well, i kinda did the same, i got the 5 days early access, and went on to burn myself with my Argonian Pact, then over the weekend i dont even feel like logging in, start a fresh one on the 4th, with the Dominion, i try to limit myself to around 6 hrs / day of game play, and try to read every dialog and understand the storyline, and it works like a charm, enjoying the game even more

So What Now?

• RoguewizRoguewiz Member UncommonPosts: 711

Wow!  That's like 10-hrs (well, closer to 13-14 hrs a day) since HeadStart weekend.

You have yourself to blame.  I played a little bit in head-start, but that annoying "W" word and that "L" word kept rearing its ugly head.  Even now, it won't go away.  I play for maybe 2-3 hrs a day (if I'm lucky).  Substantially more during the weekend though when I have more time.

Raquelis in various games
    Played: Everything
    Playing: Nioh 2, Civ6
    Wants: The World
    Anticipating: Everquest Next Crowfall, Pantheon, Elden Ring

Tank - Healer - Support: The REAL Trinity
  • Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,065
    I have played since 5 day early release and after settling on a class am level 9. I do not find leveling very fast in this game personally so you must be putting some time into it. Moderation or you will get burned out in any game.
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • kanechartkanechart Member UncommonPosts: 707

I noticed a lot of people are talking about how much I have played in such little time. This is not a lot... I can and have played other games 16 hours a day for many months without a break. I just work from home and have the opportunity to do so and need to be near my PC.

Anyways once again was hoping for ideas and suggestions not trolling and immaturity like the in game chat :( Stuff like this is actually big part of why MMORPG's are dying and failing. The biggest part of MMORPG's were the people and the community and how they even some what roleplayed even if they were not a roleplayer. You guys are just a insult to past MMORPG gaming :(

SNIP

• F2Pelerin118F2Pelerin118 Member UncommonPosts: 124
    I don't have anything to add to the discussion, but could someone tell me the command to show time played? Thanks.
  • aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

Thank you OP, this thread is comedy gold.

Getting burnt out is a personal problem. I'm not sure what you're looking for. As a few others have said, try playing a different type of game, or try approaching the game in a different way.

A lot of people tend to approach MMOs like a 2nd job. They rush and grind for max progression as fast as possible, only to complain that they achieved it 'too quickly'. After years of this behavior it shouldn't be a surprise that it's getting old for some people. Any game, no matter how good, gets old if you play it too much. You may think 'but I only played 4 days', but you've been playing similar games for years now. It's the same w/ any genre. If I was to play only FPS games for a decade, I'd get really sick of FPS games. If I was to play only point & click adventures, I'd get tired of them too. Same w/ horror, or arpg, or strategy, etc. etc.

Sometimes you just gotta change gears.

• SoMuchMassSoMuchMass Member Posts: 548
    Originally posted by kanechart

I noticed a lot of people are talking about how much I have played in such little time. This is not a lot... I can and have played other games 16 hours a day for many months without a break. I just work from home and have the opportunity to do so and need to be near my PC.

Anyways once again was hoping for ideas and suggestions not trolling and immaturity like the in game chat :( Stuff like this is actually big part of why MMORPG's are dying and failing. The biggest part of MMORPG's were the people and the community and how they even some what roleplayed even if they were not a roleplayer. You guys are just a insult to past MMORPG gaming :(

No, people like you are an insult to the MMO genre.  I have seen your posts on other MMORPG forums, you constantly go around and cry about MMOs and games.  You pulled the same thing in Rift and other things.  Here is the thing, try and become responsible for yourself.  Do everything in moderation.  You played the game for 100+ hours, that should be 3-4 weeks of MMORPG gaming.  

Here is advice, stop playing for 3-4 days.  And then come back.  If that doesn't do the trick, my solution is quit the MMO genre, you have grown out of it.  Start taking responsibility for yourself, instead of blaming the genre, blame yourself.

• MachkeznhoMachkeznho Member UncommonPosts: 424
    I Have just been logging in doing a few quests and finding a skyshard per session it seems with this game especially taking it in small doses is a good thing like reading a great book you cant just sit down and read the entire series in one go bro take it one chapter at a time and go do somehing else.
    Originally posted by Datastar
    I Have just been logging in doing a few quests and finding a skyshard per session it seems with this game especially taking it in small doses is a good thing like reading a great book you cant just sit down and read the entire series in one go bro take it one chapter at a time and go do somehing else.

Yeah this seems like a good suggestion. I have a bad habit of being one mind track on a game. It's very hard for me to play more then 1 game but it's something I should try getting use to.

SNIP

• MachkeznhoMachkeznho Member UncommonPosts: 424
    Originally posted by kanechart

Yeah this seems like a good suggestion. I have a bad habit of being one mind track on a game. It's very hard for me to play more then 1 game but it's something I should try getting use to.

Heh i used to be the same way then i got old n shit lol

• ErdaErda Member UncommonPosts: 211

I think this is the best advice in the thread.  I've played since the servers went live and am only 14.  I do have a level 11 crafting alt.

At times I feel quest burnout but that is after a long questline and I'm going to new areas.  When I start flipping through books without reading and rushing, I make myself slow down.   I've been doing a bit of fishing in a pretty spot and just  enjoy the environment.  Or I go chest, shard, lore book hunting.   The game is just too darned good to blow through the quests and content. 

Still need to do the first dungeon, go to the skull and crossbones areas and get all the skyshards.

• MardyMardy Member Posts: 2,213

You have to pace yourself, everybody is different in how much they can play  a game hardcore before they need to take a break.  I played ESO hardcore for a full week last week, burned myself out and saw how I have neglected a few things in rl due to it.  So I took 2 days off (monday & tuesday), didn't touch ESO at all, didn't browse the forums, I went off to do things I neglected this past week.  Now today I'm back and just excited as ever logging in and playing.

Before ESO, when GW2's season 2 WvW tournament started, I went hardcore for a week there also.  Then I was burned out, and totally didn't want to play tournament week #2.  Of course our server finishing badly had something to do with it, but there used to be a time when I could go hardcore for several weeks without affecting my mindset and health. These days, 1 week is about my limit before I need a break.

So playing hardcore in ESO for 1 week then taking a couple of days break was needed for me, as it was needed when I played GW2.  I think it's normal if you had 4 days played that you would be burned out.  You just may need a bit of break from the game, like I did.

EQ1-AC1-DAOC-FFXI-L2-EQ2-WoW-DDO-GW-LoTR-VG-WAR-GW2-ESO

• KnotwoodKnotwood Member CommonPosts: 1,103

I took it nice and slow,  currently level 7, with all of my crafts around my level....    Get this... I got 7 only from looting treasure chests and I have already unlocked morphing of my soul trap skill from it.   I got all my quests to do yet and I have barley killed anything at all,   just straight gathered and collected treasure chests for gear to research.

Far from burned out...   You got to take things in strides.

• DaveykzDaveykz Member UncommonPosts: 23
    Why even make a stupid thread like this? Geez, people have been playing MMOs for countless hours for years and you want to make a topic saying you're burned out? Gtfo or keep playing and get your game on.
    Originally posted by Daveykz
    Why even make a stupid thread like this? Geez, people have been playing MMOs for countless hours for years and you want to make a topic saying you're burned out? Gtfo or keep playing and get your game on.

While most of you kids spend all your time flaming and making bad review posts. I just was saying I was burned out and hoping some suggestions and ideas to get back in the mood. I had no clue MMORPG was over run with 12 year old runts.

SNIP

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

Originally posted by Thornrage

I am still reading/listening to most of the quest NPCs. I have hit lvl 22 whereas many of my guild mates are much higher level.

I am still enjoying the ride.

Originally posted by Silacoid

Maybe the solution is to not play the game for 8 hours a day and experience the real world for a bit.  I don't get why people don't get why they burn out on games when it is the only thing they do all day.

Nobody in life can sit and do the same thing all day every day and have it not feel like a job.

Originally posted by superus

Ya so OP.. no one cares!!  In fact to anyone getting ready to post the next here's - me - burning - through - content - and - then - complaining / venting / epeening or whatever...

no.. one.. cares..

Ok now that I've written that post that no ones cares about I'll go back to avoiding forums.

Originally posted by DAS1337
    I am enjoying this greatly.  

There is only one way to enjoy games like this,  take it casually a few hours a day, and enjoy every step and every story on your road... I even read some of the books, they are quite nice...

if you dont like quests and stories, the PvE part will hurt a lot...   And even PvP will burn the hardcores out, since with that many hours it will feel very repetitive too, PvP works great for most PvE players tough, since it adds the neccesary diversity from the questing and dungeoneering and crafting..

consuming content in overdrive in gennerall will almost allways burn everyone out, and obviously most people realise that these days.  

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• SpeedhaakSpeedhaak Member UncommonPosts: 296

I used to play Lineage 2, WoW and FFXI for maybe 10-12 hours a day back when I was younger. I can't even comprehend spending so much time in-game nowadays. I really don't have any advice for the OP, as the older I have gotten the more I like to do other things to create balance and moderation in my life.

For example, today: I logged in this morning at 9:30am after checking my emails. Played for a few hours and now, I've just cooked my lunch and will do maybe 3-4 hours of work (I work from home also) before I head to Crossfit (the gym) later - when I get home I suspect the missus will want to spend a few hours together, at which point, I may log in for an hour later tonight.

Moderation is the key. I'm not one for preaching to others, but if you play for 12-16 hours a day you will suffer in the long run. That's just a natural result of the process. Good luck though, I hope you find your enthusiasm again soon!

• loulakiloulaki Member UncommonPosts: 944

By the way interesting chat going on there. The community in this game is just really immature.

but it is a subscription model which filters the immaturity xD

• spizzspizz Member UncommonPosts: 1,971
    Originally posted by Speedhaak

I used to play Lineage 2, WoW and FFXI for maybe 10-12 hours a day back when I was younger. I can't even comprehend spending so much time in-game nowadays. I really don't have any advice for the OP, as the older I have gotten the more I like to do other things to create balance and moderation in my life.

For example, today: I logged in this morning at 9:30am after checking my emails. Played for a few hours and now, I've just cooked my lunch and will do maybe 3-4 hours of work (I work from home also) before I head to Crossfit (the gym) later - when I get home I suspect the missus will want to spend a few hours together, at which point, I may log in for an hour later tonight.

Moderation is the key. I'm not one for preaching to others, but if you play for 12-16 hours a day you will suffer in the long run. That's just a natural result of the process. Good luck though, I hope you find your enthusiasm again soon!

Yeah, and for those who are not disabled, better invest time into sports your body will need it since most will be just sitting only in the office day by day.  Enjoy the freedom and free time before you are into a bigger trap aka job & family.

• EnterTheWombatEnterTheWombat Member UncommonPosts: 112
    Originally posted by loulaki

but it is a subscription model which filters the immaturity xD

There is always a level of immaturity in MMO's these days.  I'll take the level of it I have seen so far in this game versus the F2P games level of it ANYDAY.  

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916
    Originally posted by azzamasin
    Originally posted by Silacoid

Maybe the solution is to not play the game for 8 hours a day and experience the real world for a bit.  I don't get why people don't get why they burn out on games when it is the only thing they do all day.

Nobody in life can sit and do the same thing all day every day and have it not feel like a job.

That a cop-out answer TBH.  Especially consider many of us played MMO's in the not to distant past with the same gusto and bravado as we do now.  The real answer here these games today just don't have the longevity to keep us playing for hours on end.  I've played WoW, AC1 and DAoC for 12-14 hours a day far into their lifespan. 2 years into the game and I never felt like I was burning myself out.  The reality of the situation is that today's modern MMO design is no where near as good as the orginals they try to emulate. And that is 100% fact!

It's not a cop-out. It's reality. No MMO can hook me so that I play 10 hours straight every day. Neither WoW, EQ, DAOC or whatever. It is not new MMOs. Grinding like sick in the old MMOs will discourage me to play for 10 hours not encourage me to play more when it's so boring - EQ, I am looking at you. WoW was okay in that department.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.