Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Giving Up On MMORPG's

13»

Comments

• Cephus404Cephus404 Member CommonPosts: 3,675
    Originally posted by Flyte27
    Originally posted by Cephus404
    Originally posted by Muke
    Originally posted by theoldgods666

Yeah that's true if I wasn't main tank for my raid guild in WOW I probably wouldn't be playing mmo's very much.

You should ask yourself the question if you are playing games to enjoy yourself or is it because it's a job now when you have to satisfy your guild?

It's unfortunate that a lot of people are playing games, not to have fun, but to escape from reality.  No game will ever make reality go away.  The only way to fix reality is to stop playing the  game and go work on reality.  Hiding in a game doesn't make things better, they're still bad when you turn off the computer.  I never get why people don't understand that, considering how many people around here say that their purpose in playing a game is to escape from the real world.  That's childish.

To a lot of people escaping from reality is what is fun.  That's why TV and movies became popular and why tv became popular.  I believe Walt Disney himself said he made cartons to let people escape from the reality of everyday life.  There are always bad things going on in the world.  People probably would be better off not watching TV, Movies, or playing Games.  They would probably be better off helping each other and helping to improve life.  The problem is there is no real solution to the problems in the world or nothing that doesn't seem a monumental task to fix.  Even if you fix the problems in your life a lot of peoples lives around you still suck.  If you didn't always have to worry about someone wanting to make money or looking to profit in someone way then perhaps everyone could get along and be happy.  I don't see that happening though as humans seem to only thrive under the system of rich and poor where we the motivation is fear instead of helping people.  It's hard to blame people from wanting to escape from reality.

There's a difference between watching a TV show because it's entertaining and watching a TV show because you desperately want to live in the world  you see on TV.  One is healthy, the other is not.  Trying to escape into a fantasy world because you don't want to deal with the problems in the real one doesn't actually solve any problems, it just puts them off and often compounds them.  I absolutely do blame people who want to escape from reality.  Fix your real life first, then go have fun in a game or other hobby.

Played: UO, EQ, WoW, DDO, SWG, AO, CoH, EvE, TR, AoC, GW, GA, Aion, Allods, lots more
    Relatively Recently (Re)Played: HL2 (all), Halo (PC, all), Batman:AA; AC, ME, BS, DA, FO3, DS, Doom (all), LFD1&2, KOTOR, Portal 1&2, Blink, Elder Scrolls (all), lots more
    Now Playing: None
    Hope: None

• crack_foxcrack_fox Member UncommonPosts: 399

It's unfortunate that a lot of people are playing games, not to have fun, but to escape from reality.  No game will ever make reality go away.  The only way to fix reality is to stop playing the  game and go work on reality.  Hiding in a game doesn't make things better, they're still bad when you turn off the computer.  I never get why people don't understand that, considering how many people around here say that their purpose in playing a game is to escape from the real world.  That's childish.

To a lot of people escaping from reality is what is fun.  That's why TV and movies became popular and why tv became popular.  I believe Walt Disney himself said he made cartons to let people escape from the reality of everyday life.  There are always bad things going on in the world.  People probably would be better off not watching TV, Movies, or playing Games.  They would probably be better off helping each other and helping to improve life.  The problem is there is no real solution to the problems in the world or nothing that doesn't seem a monumental task to fix.  Even if you fix the problems in your life a lot of peoples lives around you still suck.  If you didn't always have to worry about someone wanting to make money or looking to profit in someone way then perhaps everyone could get along and be happy.  I don't see that happening though as humans seem to only thrive under the system of rich and poor where we the motivation is fear instead of helping people.  It's hard to blame people from wanting to escape from reality.

There's a difference between watching a TV show because it's entertaining and watching a TV show because you desperately want to live in the world  you see on TV.  One is healthy, the other is not.  Trying to escape into a fantasy world because you don't want to deal with the problems in the real one doesn't actually solve any problems, it just puts them off and often compounds them.  I absolutely do blame people who want to escape from reality.  Fix your real life first, then go have fun in a game or other hobby.

I completely agree that it is unhealthy to 'desperately want to live in the world you see on TV' (or in a game, book or whatever) if your driver for doing to is to escape from an unsatisfying reality. However, I don't think that this is the only driver for looking for 'escapism' rather than 'fun' here. For me, escapism is about wonder and discovery; it's about 'suspension of disbelief' and immersing yourself for a brief time in a believable, alternate reality. For me, that is the absolute point of playing a game, or watching a movie or reading a book. That is the service I am paying the developer, director or author for. That is not to say that fun isn't important. Fun is nice. But I have far better avenues to pursue fun than video games. Going for a ride with my mates, hanging out over a few beers, playing five a-side with friends - those are all better, healthier ways to have fun than playing video games. 

• JacxolopeJacxolope Member UncommonPosts: 1,140
    Originally posted by crack_fox

I completely agree that it is unhealthy to 'desperately want to live in the world you see on TV' (or in a game, book or whatever) if your driver for doing to is to escape from an unsatisfying reality. However, I don't think that this is the only driver for looking for 'escapism' rather than 'fun' here. For me, escapism is about wonder and discovery; it's about 'suspension of disbelief' and immersing yourself for a brief time in a believable, alternate reality. For me, that is the absolute point of playing a game, or watching a movie or reading a book. That is the service I am paying the developer, director or author for. That is not to say that fun isn't important. Fun is nice. But I have far better avenues to pursue fun than video games. Going for a ride with my mates, hanging out over a few beers, playing five a-side with friends - those are all better, healthier ways to have fun than playing video games. 

Well said.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by GuyClinch

- add stealth type gameplay (Dishonored, Deus Ex ...)

Castle Wolfenstien had stealth in the 80s.

You equate THAT stealth with abilities to pull enemies from balcony, sneak up for take-down, use of light mechanics ...... and so on?

No wonder you think all games are the same. Luckily i have more appreciation for gameplay.

• BjelarBjelar Member UncommonPosts: 398
    Originally posted by zwei2
    Once a person has more important priorities in life, it will be easier to give up hobbies or stuffs that takes up the priorities' time.

So very true.

People tend to forget that they are growing up.

Ten years from now this forum will be full of people saying no good MMORPG has been made since ESO and Wildstar.

MMORPGS were better when I was a teenager, sure, but spring rain smelled better too and flowers were prettier.

• seacow1gseacow1g Member UncommonPosts: 266
    Originally posted by Bjelar
    Once a person has more important priorities in life, it will be easier to give up hobbies or stuffs that takes up the priorities' time.

So very true.

Ten years from now this forum will be full of people saying no good MMORPG has been made since ESO and Wildstar.

MMORPGS were better when I was a teenager, sure, but spring rain smelled better too and flowers were prettier.

I disagree with the sentiment that any significant amount of people will be saying that nothing good was made since ESO or Wildstar. As i mentioned before, a quick browse through the forums shows a general agreement (among people not happy with current MMO's)  that they started being shitty around 2007-2008 (give or take a year or 2 in either direction). If it were a linear relationship related to the age of the members then you'd hear a significant amount of people complaining that the last good MMORPG's were like AOC, Rift, Aion, Tera, WoW: Cataclysm etc. We may very well hear people complaining about post-ESO or Wildstar but they'd have to leave a very big mark on the players and the subsequent titles would have to be very disappointing by comparison for us to have more generations of supremely nostalgic and disappointed MMORPG players.

I didn't get sick of MMORPG's because I got older. I got sick of them because the genre has evolved in a different direction than what initially attracted me to the genre. Now console games seem to be going more in the direction that MMORPG's were good at.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by seacow1g
    Now console games seem to be going more in the direction that MMORPG's were good at.

You mean to have great solo quests like in Tomb Raider or Dishonored ... or haven't fun MP battles like in Titanfall?

• GuyClinchGuyClinch Member CommonPosts: 485
    Originally posted by Bjelar

So very true.

+1. This. I notice the same thing with sports. I spent my childhood around Boston - and I was so into sports. I loved the Red Sox. It seemed that when they lost in 86 it was the end of the world and it would never come around again. But now this year the Sox won again and I could barely be bothered to care.

You might think the Oh he doesn't like baseball anymore. But its not just that - its that it doesn't seem to matter anymore or be as important anymore. I can totally watch an entire baseball game at a park and totally enjoy it. (I realize plenty of people find it deadly boring) But its my perspective that's changed. Its the same thing with MMOs. Honestly if you have spend a few thousand hours playing MMOs you aren't going to find ANY new MMOs that you love.

Computer scientists are roughly as smart as they have always been and computer chips might be faster but they work the same way so games at the core level haven't changed a bit. Its part of growing older - you can't get as "into' things anymore. The passion of youth is just that - the passion of youth.

Straight up if you step back and analyze these MMOs comparing them to the older ones they are  as good if not better then the older ones. Everquest had hardly any quests. It had barely any voice acting. it basically had ZERO plot. You REALLY think grinding mobs was just more fun - or maybe you grew up.

If you don't believe me go play project 1999. Its not the games - especially on this forum. It's the players. There was a lull with SWTOR but of late the developers are doing a bang up job. If I was 20 years younger I would worship ESO. Truth.

I see all these guys on the forums bashing the developers. Oh they don't care they are lazy. BS. They give you the best things they can and the people here still spit it back at them. There is basically nothing else they can do with current technology beyond the choices you have now.. You might get different graphics or a different setting but that's about it for a good long while..

You get used to things. You get jaded. Its just part of life. My car now is so much better then any car I have ever driven. Its faster. it handles much better. Its ton's more luxurious. It has the best stereo. I still miss my first care more - even though objectively its a piece of shit.