Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Giving Up On MMORPG's

seacow1gseacow1g Member UncommonPosts: 266

Guys, I think I've reached that point where I'm able to just give up on this genre. Back in the day, when I first started playing Everquest (and then moved onto other MMORPG's with the very last one that I was "happy" in being WoW during The Burning Crusade expansion) I saw something truly unique in this genre of games: It was a genre that satisfied all of my gaming (and entertainment for that matter) needs with only one game at a time; sometimes for years at a time.

In MMORPG's I found games that let me roleplay, customize, explore, adventure, create, harvest, socialize, compete, survive, lead, learn, follow etc. etc. etc. I didn't mind paying a subscription because the games allowed me to do so "much different stuff" that single player games couldn't compete with that I was fine being locked in and subscribing to a single title. Nowadays I find it hard to justify a subscription because MMORPG's have alot more competition now, I actually enjoy alot more diversity, freedom and challenge in console games that don't require anything more from me than paying for the box.

It's been a long time since I've been able to enjoy an MMORPG. Some of it could be blamed on me becoming too acquainted with the genre, alot of it is certainly the failure of the genre to grow and evolve in the way I thought it would/should (I would actually argue that it has "devolved") but ultimately I think my inability to ever enjoy this genre again rests solely on me. The magic is gone; I don't trust this genre anymore and as such I could never commit to an MMORPG ever again as I had in the past.

Even if my ideal MMORPG were made I doubt I would give it the chance it would deserve because I just don't believe this genre can do the things that I once thought it could. I believe that MMORPG's are just too expensive to make to create a truly ambitious title that is polished, massive and diverse. Maybe I just expected too much out of the genre, maybe I saw potential that wasn't ever truly feasible, who knows? All I know is I'm too disillusioned to ever feel again like I once felt about this genre and videogames in general. Maybe that's a good thing though because real life can be so much better.

Comments

• VicodinTacoVicodinTaco Member UncommonPosts: 804

Go to New Orleans for a week.  Then when you get back don't play anything but Dark Souls or Playstation 2 games.

You'll feel better about life and not be forever alone.

• cybertruckercybertrucker Member UncommonPosts: 1,117

I have been exactly where you are now. We might have different reasons, but I definately understand what your going through. 

Good luck man. Right now I actually have the itch to play something. Just nothing really is catching my interest.  More of the same solo oriented gameplay rush to end game. Where other players are nothing more but advanced bots because no one wants to take the time to make friends anymore.  Everything has to give something to everyone. The genre has changed.  People. Used to come together to work as a team to help someone other than themselves...sad actually it has devolved into what  it is today.

• AbIeLAbIeL Member UncommonPosts: 152
    I know how you feel man. I gave up on mmorpg also. there are no more good games out there. I haven't played a mmorpg in 2 years.
  • MagiknightMagiknight Member CommonPosts: 782
    Dido. Hate them.
  • delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081

Someday someone will come along with the Vanguard vision done right and it will make millions. The money people have their heads up their ass thinking they know what's best because they follow false threads.

Lets add the population into the mix, they would embrace a hard mmo that require team work too.  They just don't know what's good for them !  There like robots programmed to auto think Old School.....They auto think old graphics...They auto think simple kill ten rats quest.

FF14 was an extreme let down.

People assumed old school because of the name....Yet the game was on rails more so than I think any game.  And I call it a game not an mmo. 425 parts to your personal story line, how can you make an mmo with a solo story line that has to be done for unlocks ?

• SpeedhaakSpeedhaak Member UncommonPosts: 296
    Originally posted by Gorwe

I would let MMOs END.

That is already on some companies minds. Games such as Destiny will consume modern MMO design.

• RydesonRydeson Member UncommonPosts: 3,852

Join the club.. I haven't played a decent MMO since early WoW days.. I grew up on EQ and others, and enjoyed the NON instanced world and community, but MMO's today are nothing like they used to be..  They are all pretty much SINGLE player games with co-op instance features...  and expect people to PAY for them..   No Thanks Devs.. 

PS edit.. GW2 is the only one I would endorse these days.. I like the B2P method..  Anything that is subscription based or close to it, is nothing but a suckers cash cow.. 

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    Just have along break.. I do every now and then. Then the magic comes back for a while. It'll disappear again though.
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by AbIeL
    I know how you feel man. I gave up on mmorpg also. there are no more good games out there. I haven't played a mmorpg in 2 years.

While not having completely given up on MMO's I have given up on ever finding one that will take over my life in such a way that Asheron's Call, DAoC and WoW did.  EQNext is my end-all be-all hope, if it fails I'll give up completely.  Great thing is I have rekindled my love of single player games and Action RPG's like D3 and Path of Exile.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• theoldgods666theoldgods666 Member Posts: 34
    Originally posted by Rydeson

Join the club.. I haven't played a decent MMO since early WoW days.. I grew up on EQ and others, and enjoyed the NON instanced world and community, but MMO's today are nothing like they used to be..  They are all pretty much SINGLE player games with co-op instance features...  and expect people to PAY for them..   No Thanks Devs.. 

PS edit.. GW2 is the only one I would endorse these days.. I like the B2P method..  Anything that is subscription based or close to it, is nothing much a suckers cash cow.. 

Yeah that's true if I wasn't main tank for my raid guild in WOW I probably wouldn't be playing mmo's very much. I have been playing since TBC so it's so hard for me to drop the game you know? Now I take breaks in between like for right now until WOD. Just trying to find an mmo to fill my time until Wildstar comes out. Since that game seems to be more group friendly for end game. 

• theoldgods666theoldgods666 Member Posts: 34
    Originally posted by azzamasin
    Originally posted by AbIeL

While not having completely given up on MMO's I have given up on ever finding one that will take over my life in such a way that Asheron's Call, DAoC and WoW did.  EQNext is my end-all be-all hope, if it fails I'll give up completely.  Great thing is I have rekindled my love of single player games and Action RPG's like D3 and Path of Exile.

I would have to say Warlords of Dreanor and Wildstar will be my next make it or break it. If those don't cut out I think I will quit on mmo's until something really good comes out. Arche Age and Pantheon looks promising though. 

• lonhelyglonhelyg Member Posts: 73

I sometimes feel like this,  haven't been truly satisfied with an Mmo since Pre NGE SWG .. but hey we can hope someone will take up the gauntlet and make an Mmo that is awesome again.

With that being said , I am kind of enjoying ESo at the moment , but its not truly fulfilling like SWG or EQ1 were :(

• zwei2zwei2 Member Posts: 361
    Once a person has more important priorities in life, it will be easier to give up hobbies or stuffs that takes up the priorities' time.

The possibility of the universe collapsing into a singularity is higher than the birth of a perfect MMORPG.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by Speedhaak
    Originally posted by Gorwe

I would let MMOs END.

That is already on some companies minds. Games such as Destiny will consume modern MMO design.

and blizz probably has given up on making a new MMO (aka titan). Obviously they will still milk as much out of WoW as possible.

It is strange to "give up" on a genre. It is not like you will vow to never play a MMO anymore.

They are just games. If no one interests you, don't play. I bet if somehow an interesting one comes along, the OP will play.

Personally, i will give any interesting game, including MMO, may be 15-20 min to see if it is fun. In that regard, MMO is not better, or worse than other games for me.

• seacow1gseacow1g Member UncommonPosts: 266
    Originally posted by nariusseldon

It is strange to "give up" on a genre. It is not like you will vow to never play a MMO anymore.

They are just games. If no one interests you, don't play. I bet if somehow an interesting one comes along, the OP will play.

Personally, i will give any interesting game, including MMO, may be 15-20 min to see if it is fun. In that regard, MMO is not better, or worse than other games for me.

To be able to "give up" on a Genre you have to become very attached to it. The more you care about something, the more involved you are with it and the harder it is to let it go. Also the more joy you'd gotten out of something the more bitter it is when things go downhill. It's like a love affair. No other genre has made me as attached, involved and in love with certain games. Similarly it has been the source of my strongest hatred as well. If you can't feel that way, then you've never really loved a particular genre (or a particular game for that matter).

• MaquiameMaquiame Member UncommonPosts: 1,073
    Originally posted by seacow1g

Guys, I think I've reached that point where I'm able to just give up on this genre. Back in the day, when I first started playing Everquest (and then moved onto other MMORPG's with the very last one that I was "happy" in being WoW during The Burning Crusade expansion) I saw something truly unique in this genre of games: It was a genre that satisfied all of my gaming (and entertainment for that matter) needs with only one game at a time; sometimes for years at a time.

In MMORPG's I found games that let me roleplay, customize, explore, adventure, create, harvest, socialize, compete, survive, lead, learn, follow etc. etc. etc. I didn't mind paying a subscription because the games allowed me to do so "much different stuff" that single player games couldn't compete with that I was fine being locked in and subscribing to a single title. Nowadays I find it hard to justify a subscription because MMORPG's have alot more competition now, I actually enjoy alot more diversity, freedom and challenge in console games that don't require anything more from me than paying for the box.

It's been a long time since I've been able to enjoy an MMORPG. Some of it could be blamed on me becoming too acquainted with the genre, alot of it is certainly the failure of the genre to grow and evolve in the way I thought it would/should (I would actually argue that it has "devolved") but ultimately I think my inability to ever enjoy this genre again rests solely on me. The magic is gone; I don't trust this genre anymore and as such I could never commit to an MMORPG ever again as I had in the past.

Even if my ideal MMORPG were made I doubt I would give it the chance it would deserve because I just don't believe this genre can do the things that I once thought it could. I believe that MMORPG's are just too expensive to make to create a truly ambitious title that is polished, massive and diverse. Maybe I just expected too much out of the genre, maybe I saw potential that wasn't ever truly feasible, who knows? All I know is I'm too disillusioned to ever feel again like I once felt about this genre and videogames in general. Maybe that's a good thing though because real life can be so much better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLAVNriGsus

All I can say is just a few more months man

Any mmo worth its salt should be like a good prostitute when it comes to its game world- One hell of a faker, and a damn good shaker!

Originally posted by seacow1g
    Originally posted by nariusseldon

To be able to "give up" on a Genre you have to become very attached to it. The more you care about something, the more involved you are with it and the harder it is to let it go. Also the more joy you'd gotten out of something the more bitter it is when things go downhill. It's like a love affair. No other genre has made me as attached, involved and in love with certain games. Similarly it has been the source of my strongest hatred as well. If you can't feel that way, then you've never really loved a particular genre (or a particular game for that matter).

No i don't love genres ... or entertainment products. I do like some of them, and don't get me wrong, the word "love" has been thrown around.

But so far, there is no entertainment product i cannot live without .. not even D3, which is my recent favorite game.

• Cephus404Cephus404 Member CommonPosts: 3,675
    Originally posted by zwei2
    Once a person has more important priorities in life, it will be easier to give up hobbies or stuffs that takes up the priorities' time.

Exactly.  Every time I see people who say they have hundreds of hours to play a game every week, I realize these are just kids that need to grow the hell up.

Played: UO, EQ, WoW, DDO, SWG, AO, CoH, EvE, TR, AoC, GW, GA, Aion, Allods, lots more
    Relatively Recently (Re)Played: HL2 (all), Halo (PC, all), Batman:AA; AC, ME, BS, DA, FO3, DS, Doom (all), LFD1&2, KOTOR, Portal 1&2, Blink, Elder Scrolls (all), lots more
    Now Playing: None
    Hope: None

• Flyte27Flyte27 Member RarePosts: 4,574
    Originally posted by Cephus404

Exactly.  Every time I see people who say they have hundreds of hours to play a game every week, I realize these are just kids that need to grow the hell up.

Doesn't that go against what many of the posters on her who like new MMOs say?  Basically what they say is I like it this way and am happy with it.  Then they throw out a judgement on people who they don't agree with in terms of how they are spending their time and their life.

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Originally posted by Flyte27

Doesn't that go against what many of the posters on her who like new MMOs say?  Basically what they say is I like it this way and am happy with it.  Then they throw out a judgement on people who they don't agree with in terms of how they are spending their time and their life.

I think attacking people instead of their ideas has pretty much become the standard here...or maybe it always was :) 

• NotimeforbsNotimeforbs Member CommonPosts: 346
    Originally posted by DamonVile

I think attacking people instead of their ideas has pretty much become the standard here...or maybe it always was :) 

Attacking people for their ideas is easy.  Anyone can do it.  It's the easiest and most powerful way to win an argument.  It's what I call "the bully tactic."

Unfortunately, for people who can actually reason... they know that attacking someone for their ideals instead of addressing the actual ideal means you have nothing to use which would refute the ideal.  In other words... the bully has already lost.

This is common in every day life.  It's not just here on this forum, or on the internet.

• DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926
    relax, don't do it
  • Cryptus_TyraelCryptus_Tyrael Member Posts: 5

I have played on and off for the past decade and will continue to do so.  It burns me out, but the community and ability to control my destiny (easier than real life and with swords!) will always draw me back.  

I want to retire playing games :).  

-Venga

• Cephus404Cephus404 Member CommonPosts: 3,675

The reality is that once you're an adult and you have a full time job and you have a family and other responsibilities, you really don't have time to sit in front of a computer playing  games 8+ hours a day.  That's why most games have become easier to play in short spurts because the MMO marketplace has gotten significantly older as time has gone on and older people have less time to sit around and play games all the time.

Played: UO, EQ, WoW, DDO, SWG, AO, CoH, EvE, TR, AoC, GW, GA, Aion, Allods, lots more
    Relatively Recently (Re)Played: HL2 (all), Halo (PC, all), Batman:AA; AC, ME, BS, DA, FO3, DS, Doom (all), LFD1&2, KOTOR, Portal 1&2, Blink, Elder Scrolls (all), lots more
    Now Playing: None
    Hope: None