Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Comic: Mediocrity Scrolls Online

Comments

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731
    Originally posted by Amjoco
    Originally posted by Dihoru
    Originally posted by Distopia
    Originally posted by NagilumSadow
    Elder scrolls online has one of the better (perhaps "the best") combat system out there; if it didn't, I would be PvPing in Cyrodiil. End of story.

Gloria Victis... and it ain't even done.

While the game looks okay, I can't help but feel it will be nothing more than what MO turned out to be. Which if that's what you're looking for that's great. I have a hard time believing we're going to see any real kind of society form in it, given the lack of restrictions. The player police concept really never works, and they've been trying it since UO. IT's a system that supports the wolves, and like any other they'll drive away those they view as their sheep.

Donno how FFA it will be... my hunch is considering the existence of empires + territory control + a unique take on a death penalty is that it may turn out to be somewhat more non-pvp orientated player friendly than EVE-Online ( plus the combat system makes anyone that's actually every fought using its combat system a threat to a PVPer so outright ganks may be more difficult to pull off and could actually backfire ).

Elder scrolls online has one of the better (perhaps "the best") combat system out there; if it didn't, I would be PvPing in Cyrodiil. End of story.

Gloria Victis looks like an awesome game, but it isn't going to make it because of it's smooth combat system. 

Yup... deeper crafting, meaningful pvp, etc,etc on top of the better combat system.

Ya, right. Coming here with no real proof is very short sighted. Perhaps when the game actually comes out we can compare the two. 

You crusade around defending this game with less proof so your point, if it even exists, is ironic.

I have a lot more proof concerning ESO than you do of a game that isn't out yet. There are also thousands of people playing this game and I'm sure none of them have Gloria Victis experience. 

Wow... so to you the MMO population is in the thousands? (otherwise your last sentence isn't even valid)

Also as to your first :) waiting for them to put in crafting, already have access and toyed around with it a bit.

• NagilumSadowNagilumSadow Member UncommonPosts: 318

Gloria Victis looks like an awesome game, but it isn't going to make it because of it's smooth combat system. 

Yup... deeper crafting, meaningful pvp, etc,etc on top of the better combat system.

The elder scrolls online has a crafting system based on researching what you find, reverse engineering, and the dynamism of  trial and error, how is that not deep? On top of this, the ESO system rewards exploration.

• ZalmonZalmon Member Posts: 319

I have a lot more proof concerning ESO than you do of a game that isn't out yet. There are also thousands of people playing this game and I'm sure none of them have Gloria Victis experience. 

You really need to stop repeating that. Yes we all know thousands of players are playing ESO because every MMO at release has thousands of playing.

Lets see how many keep playing once free month is over and beyond that. Till then 'thousand are playing ' argument hardly means anything.

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860

While the game looks okay, I can't help but feel it will be nothing more than what MO turned out to be. Which if that's what you're looking for that's great. I have a hard time believing we're going to see any real kind of society form in it, given the lack of restrictions. The player police concept really never works, and they've been trying it since UO. IT's a system that supports the wolves, and like any other they'll drive away those they view as their sheep.

Donno how FFA it will be... my hunch is considering the existence of empires + territory control + a unique take on a death penalty is that it may turn out to be somewhat more non-pvp orientated player friendly than EVE-Online ( plus the combat system makes anyone that's actually every fought using its combat system a threat to a PVPer so outright ganks may be more difficult to pull off and could actually backfire ).

Ya, right. Coming here with no real proof is very short sighted. Perhaps when the game actually comes out we can compare the two. 

You crusade around defending this game with less proof so your point, if it even exists, is ironic.

Wow... so to you the MMO population is in the thousands? (otherwise your last sentence isn't even valid)

Also as to your first :) waiting for them to put in crafting, already have access and toyed around with it a bit.

Huh. You make no sense at all. 

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by Zalmon

You really need to stop repeating that. Yes we all know thousands of players are playing ESO because every MMO at release has thousands of playing.

Lets see how many keep playing once free month is over and beyond that. Till then 'thousand are playing ' argument hardly means anything.

I'm pretty sure there will still be "thousands" playing next year. It certainly won't be running with just hundreds. :P

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    I like ESO combat more than that crap most of you on this site like from games like WoW and others that are similar to it.  WoW style combat puts me to sleep real fast.  ESO gameplay actually feels engaging to me which I havent felt in many years when it comes to mmos.  ESOs system is like building decks for different purposes which keeps combat fresh.
  • ViadricViadric Member Posts: 151

I'm pretty sure there will still be "thousands" playing next year. It certainly won't be running with just hundreds. :P

Thousands = 2000. I'm sure the population will boost alot to if they decide to go F2P or make a cheaper sub. 

• ViadricViadric Member Posts: 151
    Originally posted by ElRenmazuo
    I like ESO combat more than that crap most of you on this site like from games like WoW and others that are similar to it.  WoW style combat puts me to sleep real fast.  ESO gameplay actually feels engaging to me which I havent felt in many years when it comes to mmos.  ESOs system is like building decks for different purposes which I like.

Than you never reached end level in wow or raided ever if it puts you to sleep. 

• ComanComan Member UncommonPosts: 2,178

It looks promising, but no more or less then plenty of other games that promised the same. I donated though...not sure why I keep doing that. I guess one day one of them has to do it right :P

• ZalmonZalmon Member Posts: 319

I am sure it will but you know what iw as trying to say.

When a MMO is just released the arguments like 'but my server is full' and 'thousand are playing online so your argument is invalid' if often used to silence any negative opinion.

Originally posted by Viadric

Thousands = 2000. I'm sure the population will boost alot to if they decide to go F2P or make a cheaper sub. 

I guess they could be the first to run on just 2000, they were the first to allow you to see the game through another players eyes after all. WHo said there was no innovation here?

• BeastnBeastn Member UncommonPosts: 111
    I have been playing the crap out of this game since head start. And I love it. I like the combat. I love the music. I find the questing fun and interesting fire the most part. And this is the first mmo on forever that I actually care about crafting...and I haven't even tried the pvp yet. Hate all you want. I wish I was playing right now instead of defending on this horrible site, but I'm at work.
    Originally posted by Coman

It looks promising, but no more or less then plenty of other games that promised the same. I donated though...not sure why I keep doing that. I guess one day one of them has to do it right :P

It's one of the games I'm really looking forward to! I'm older and I like games that seem to be more about rpg than the mmo. It looks like a good mix of the two. I do hope the animations get worked on more, I'm sure they will. 

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

I am sure it will but you know what iw as trying to say.

When a MMO is just released the arguments like 'but my server is full' and 'thousand are playing online so your argument is invalid' if often used to silence any negative opinion.

I know I was just playing there.

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    Originally posted by Viadric
    Originally posted by ElRenmazuo
    I like ESO combat more than that crap most of you on this site like from games like WoW and others that are similar to it.  WoW style combat puts me to sleep real fast.  ESO gameplay actually feels engaging to me which I havent felt in many years when it comes to mmos.  ESOs system is like building decks for different purposes which I like.

Than you never reached end level in wow or raided ever if it puts you to sleep. 

I have and in many mmos, they always looked really lame to me when I compare it to other games.  Standing at the heel of a giant monster slashing his foot is very lame to me  pressing 1234567 rotation and occasionally get out of the way of some AoE.  In ESO im constantly moving around slashing things with my weapons without any kind of auto attacks and such.  Changing between skill sets managing my resources like stamina and magicka.

Its also sad that you have to get to end game in those games to start having even the slightest bit of fun as you said it.

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    The comic is funny but I dont think its hate. Heck TES games have a whole mess of things from bad graphics to dumb game mechanics. We still loved them for many reasons. A game does not need to be perfect to be a hit. People just need to love it and play it. Make fun of its flaws... why not? Sometimes there funny. 
  • BattlerockBattlerock Member CommonPosts: 1,393

The can't be good, the fan boi that loves it here spends more time on the forums than in game. Why is that? Well real simple, the game just isn't good.

The elder scrolls online has a crafting system based on researching what you find, reverse engineering, and the dynamism of  trial and error, how is that not deep? On top of this, the ESO system rewards exploration.

http://gloriavictisgame.com/application/game/crafting

And as for ESO: it is deeper than say GW2's but not by much and not in the ways that matter (researching is a timesink, reverse engineering is a boon, trial and error has always been a part of any non-WoW-esque crafting system... hell even TOR has error states and it lacks the most crucial aspect of a deep crafting system: player skill, not sheer dumb luck but skill).

Originally posted by Battlerock

The can't be good, the fan boi that loves it here spends more time on the forums than in game. Why is that? Well real simple, the game just isn't good.

lmao, you think people don't do other things than play games and visit a game forum in life? I'm not sure where you are from, but where I live we have freedom to do as we want. No, your meaningless insult is well, meaningless. 

Next, I'm not a fanboi. I love all types of games. If I dislike a game I simply don't visit that forum. However I will defend a game that I think is good and EOS is a good game.

• NagilumSadowNagilumSadow Member UncommonPosts: 318

And as for ESO: it is deeper than say GW2's but not by much and not in the ways that matter (researching is a timesink, reverse engineering is a boon, trial and error has always been a part of any non-WoW-esque crafting system... hell even TOR has error states and it lacks the most crucial aspect of a deep crafting system: player skill, not sheer dumb luck but skill).

Researching in ESO is parallel to all performed action, thus is cannot simply be a timesink imo; research sublimates other effects, thus adding to the depth of the system and in no way creates resistance. Maybe you should take another look?

• SiveriaSiveria Member UncommonPosts: 1,419
    Originally posted by Nephaerius

The feel of combat in ESO is just like the regular Elder Scrolls.  It's always been the weak point of the series.  I don't see how pointing it out as a glaring flaw in the online version and glossing over it as not a big deal in the single player makes any sense.  The quest writing is a lot better than most MMO's although the quality is all over the place.  I've never fallen through the world, crashed, etc. but this may have happened to other folks.

All in all a good comic exagerrating the rather minor issues with the game.

ESO: Bad writing, floaty combat, errors with game causing C2D and falling through world = Mediocre

Skyrim: Bad writing, floaty combat, errors with game, etc. = OMG TAKE MY MONEY NOW!

just sayin'

Combat is only weak is its unmodded, Skyrim has a ton of mods that makes the combat far better, t3nd0s skyrim redone being one of them. Hard hits actually hurt in this due to statis effects and debilitations they can inflict. The diff between ESO and Skyrim is, if you have skyrim on pc, you can use mods to fix most of the bugs and make it a better game. Sadly ESO cannot be modded, so your bascally left with whatever the devs have made for you.

IMO Elder Scrolls and Fallout games are trash on consoles, and godtier on pc due to the mods that can make the game way better than it is. Though nothing can help skyrims stupid as hell main plot/story. I personally though the whole shouting thing to be one of the stupidest mechanics I have seen in a game, it was just silly.

Anyway TL:DR: Games like skyrim/fallout suck if they cannot be modded. Though fallout games suck a little less so compared to Elder scrolls.

Being a pessimist is a win-win pattern of thinking. If you're a pessimist (I'll admit that I am!) you're either:

A. Proven right (if something bad happens)

or

B. Pleasantly surprised (if something good happens)

Either way, you can't lose! Try it out sometime!

• ElboneElbone Member UncommonPosts: 87

The reason im so openly hating on this game is because when a big company does an MMO of this scale without tapping in the potential of the genre it sends it on a stalgnating mode for the next 5years.

Oh and no, ESO isnt even close (or any other MMO) from doing the genre good. They're just copying model that will give them funding because it's the safe approach instead of letting their wildest concept come to life because they often seem out of reach or have never been tried so no one wants to take the risk.

Researching in ESO is parallel to all performed action, thus is cannot simply be a timesink imo; research sublimates other effects, thus adding to the depth of the system and in no way creates resistance. Maybe you should take another look?

Maybe you should look up SWG's crafting system and realize researching is a needless timesink keeping you from actually doing crafting and adding those effects to the materials you use to craft.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by Moar61

What I don't understand is why everyone feels the need to openly hate on the game as aggressively as they do simply because they don't like it. I haven't enjoyed an MMO in years, this game changed that. I log on, hundreds of people saying they love it. 

I never seen such a crowd that wants a game to fail simply because they don't like it. The comic was lame btw, I cracked a half smile at the mudcrabs though. 

I kinda enjoy sarcastic comics both against games I like and dislike, don't take them so personal. :)

I have seen such a crowd (from the launch of GW2, TOR, AoC, WAR and so on...), they are here at any major gamelaunch. Not everyone can enjoy a certain game and far too many people spends a lot of time wishing that any game that they don't personally like must fail worse than *insert game you consider a flop here*.

• RigamortisRigamortis Member UncommonPosts: 207
    Originally posted by Moar61

What I don't understand is why everyone feels the need to openly hate on the game as aggressively as they do simply because they don't like it. I haven't enjoyed an MMO in years, this game changed that. I log on, hundreds of people saying they love it. 

I never seen such a crowd that wants a game to fail simply because they don't like it. The comic was lame btw, I cracked a half smile at the mudcrabs though. 

Simply put....the majority of posters on mmorpg.com hate everything ever invented when it comes to mmo's.  If you based your "try list"  on thoughts from here....you would NEVER play anything.  Everyone should play a game you are INTERESTED in for yourself.   Then you can make an educated decision if you want to patronize the company or not.  Though ESO does have very annoying issues I have been vocal about in the past,  this is the first game I have thoroughly enjoyed since Ultima Online (Pre-trammel) days.  Just my 2 cents.

-Rig

Former GM and associate game designer for SOE and Square Enix.  (2001-2008)
This discussion has been closed.