Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Massive Subscriptions? I think not!

Comments

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by Sephiroso
    Originally posted by Sovrath
    Originally posted by Mtibbs1989

QUESTING

The questing is okay there's voice acting throughout the game however questing is pretty generic, the main difference is the amount of running required from one location to the next; at times there's almost too much running between objectives. If you didn't buy the Collector's Edition it'll be even more tedious as you won't have a horse. Players who didn't pay extra will find extremely high gold costs for horses.

I don't see how the questing is "generic".

Generic quests are "go here and kill x of y", "go there and collect y of z".

In ESO's quests I've helped save azura's alcolyte from cold harbor, I saved the phantom of a boy from his spectral father who was trying to reanimate him in an Ayleid ruin where they were shut away from their mother. In a later quest, (I believe it's the one above with azura) the person you saved was the child's mother.

I investigated a poisoned well in an orc stronghold and helped the perpetrator start a new stronghold.

In one Ayleid ruin I rescued scholars who were drawn into "the aether" and while in process discovered the love letters and eventual disturbing end of the writer of those letters.

Now, they don't require as much thought as, say, the secret world, but I wouldn't call that generic mmo questing.

And you did all that by "going there and killing x of y" or "going here and collecting y of z"

Try harder.

Then by your logic every Elder Scrolls game is the say way.

Except they are not. You are given a task and you fight your way through whatever is there instead if fighting, killnig 10 and then leaving.

There is a difference between reading a quick text, running to an area, banging out 10 kills and running back  and being asked to help a character, make your way through the area, witness the drama that unfolds. It's no different than any other rpg that has a quest as opposed to "generic mmo quests".

The difference between ESO and every other Elder Scrolls game was choices mattered in the ES games. It is not so in ESO. So even though yes when striped bare down the the most barest of definitions, the quests require you to do the same things in both ESO and ES games, they are inherently different because of the resulting outcome.

And also, my statement was to show that it truly is just more of the same generic questing and not some amazing new quest system some of you are trying to have us believe. I wish you God's speed through your rose colored phase.

That's just the thing there is no rose colored phase in this. You simply don't get it.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• SephirosoSephiroso Member RarePosts: 2,020
    Originally posted by Distopia

That's just the thing there is no rose colored phase in this. You simply don't get it.

I'll see you in 2 months sir. I shall relish the day when we meet again.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015

QUESTING

The questing is okay there's voice acting throughout the game however questing is pretty generic, the main difference is the amount of running required from one location to the next; at times there's almost too much running between objectives. If you didn't buy the Collector's Edition it'll be even more tedious as you won't have a horse. Players who didn't pay extra will find extremely high gold costs for horses.

In ESO's quests I've helped save azura's alcolyte from cold harbor, I saved the phantom of a boy from his spectral father who was trying to reanimate him in an Ayleid ruin where they were shut away from their mother. In a later quest, (I believe it's the one above with azura) the person you saved was the child's mother.

I investigated a poisoned well in an orc stronghold and helped the perpetrator start a new stronghold.

In one Ayleid ruin I rescued scholars who were drawn into "the aether" and while in process discovered the love letters and eventual disturbing end of the writer of those letters.

Now, they don't require as much thought as, say, the secret world, but I wouldn't call that generic mmo questing.

And you did all that by "going there and killing x of y" or "going here and collecting y of z"

Try harder.

Then by your logic every Elder Scrolls game is the say way.

Except they are not. You are given a task and you fight your way through whatever is there instead if fighting, killnig 10 and then leaving.

There is a difference between reading a quick text, running to an area, banging out 10 kills and running back  and being asked to help a character, make your way through the area, witness the drama that unfolds. It's no different than any other rpg that has a quest as opposed to "generic mmo quests".

The difference between ESO and every other Elder Scrolls game was choices mattered in the ES games. It is not so in ESO. So even though yes when striped bare down the the most barest of definitions, the quests require you to do the same things in both ESO and ES games, they are inherently different because of the resulting outcome.

And also, my statement was to show that it truly is just more of the same generic questing and not some amazing new quest system some of you are trying to have us believe. I wish you God's speed through your rose colored phase.

believe it or not I don't think that's true. At least from Morrowind on.

This is not to say ESO is a shining beacon of quest implementation.

But really, with the exception of you picking your skyrim civil war faction, how many Elder Scroll quests really offered you solid choices that had impact on your game play?

I can only think of a few. Kill Umbra and get the sword or not kill umbra; in Oblivion.

There's a quest in morrowind where you are sent to kill someone and you have the choice to lie and say you did it or actually kill them. I think you get the reward either way.

There must be more but I can only think of the daedric quests and they seem to come down to "do the quest or don't do the quest".

Morrowind seemed to have more choices but as far as I can recall (I'm casually playing through it again) many of them are "kill him/her or don't kill him/her".

Ottherwise I can't recall any other quests that gave a solid choice. Can you?

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
    Originally posted by Distopia

I'll see you in 2 months sir. I shall relish the day when we meet again.

What exactly do you think will change two months from now? I can guarantee I'll still prefer ESO's quest design over WOW's or games like it.

• goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141

Players are spread across thousands of instances of each zone so that you don't have people tripping over each other.  Your not going to ever see large numbers of people in one place because that's how they designed their infrastructure.    My guess is the most people you will every see together is in Cyrodiil.

You cant use server numbers (because there are no dedicated server realms) or zone numbers to determine how many people are playing the game, ever.

You have to take Zenimax's word for it if and when they publish it.

• SephirosoSephiroso Member RarePosts: 2,020

believe it or not I don't think that's true. At least from Morrowind on.

This is not to say ESO is a shining beacon of quest implementation.

But really, with the exception of you picking your skyrim civil war faction, how many Elder Scroll quests really offered you solid choices that had impact on your game play?

I can only think of a few. Kill Umbra and get the sword or not kill umbra; in Oblivion.

There's a quest in morrowind where you are sent to kill someone and you have the choice to lie and say you did it or actually kill them. I think you get the reward either way.

There must be more but I can only think of the daedric quests and they seem to come down to "do the quest or don't do the quest".

Morrowind seemed to have more choices but as far as I can recall (I'm casually playing through it again) many of them are "kill him/her or don't kill him/her".

Ottherwise I can't recall any other quests that gave a solid choice. Can you?

It's been awhile since i played Skyrim, but pretty much all the guild quests. You could help whatever guild leader was already in place or kill them and overthrow the leadership and become the new leader. The fact that with the exception of a few npcs, if you killed an npc they stayed dead.(i understand that this isn't necessarily centered on quests but it leads credibility to the whole choices matter discussion).

There was that one quest to capture the murderer in that one city with the Nordish sounding house that you could purchase. Also quite a few of the Daedra quests had a permanent choice to them(though i think most people made sure to complete them to get the daedra weapon lol so not much choice if you wanted the weapon, like that one where the priest went into the house and ended up getting caught and you bash his head in to death).

Those are the ones i can think of off the top of my head, i was trying to remember some of the side quest ones but they're all blurry, i think there was one you could do that would make most the Orc camps be friendly with you once you completed it so they wouldnt be attack on sight anymore.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

• DamediusDamedius Member Posts: 346
    Originally posted by Mothanos

Generic questing ? realy ? i mean realy ?
    Are we playing the same game oO ?

I HATE QUESTING !!!! but ESO got that part covered into perfection !
    Man i wonder what it takes to get people happy these days lol.

That's the rose colored glasses speaking.

This is literally every other post you post.

Don't you get tired of saying the same thing over and over.

and over

and over

and over

and over

and over

and over

and over

and over

and over

and over.......................................................

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • deakondeakon Member Posts: 583
    Originally posted by deniter

QUESTING

Try harder.

Pretty much this.

You can take a generic plot, lets say from The Bold and the Beautiful, have it voice overed and make your player to pick up some items from the ground and kill some mobs, and you have a generic mmo questing.

It's that simple.

You have just described every single quest or mission in every single mmo, rpg, fps, action game etc

Go somewhere kill things pick up/interact with item, that is every mission in 90% of all story based games right there, how would/could you do it differently?

I found many of the quests to be bland and/or generic.

When people say this it's almost as if they're saying this isn't the case with just about every RPG SP or online. TES games are filled with generic style quests, every RPG is, look at the thieves guild in SKyrim and the side quests to reinstate the guild, they're all generic bland go grab this bring it back and listen to the same line spoken over and over again. You have to do so many of them too.

• ohioastroohioastro Member UncommonPosts: 534
    Originally posted by Mothanos

Generic questing ? realy ? i mean realy ?
    Are we playing the same game oO ?

I HATE QUESTING !!!! but ESO got that part covered into perfection !
    Man i wonder what it takes to get people happy these days lol.

That's the rose colored glasses speaking.

I see a lot of people coming in and posting about how much they enjoy the questing and how non-generic they find it.  You might wish to consider the possibility that your opinions are not universal.  For starters, it would help to know what a "non-generic" quest would look like.  Second, I really like the fact that it appears that the game world responds to my actions - which is very unusual for a MMO.  I gather that you seem to think that real consequences only occur if other players are impacted by your actions; why?

I think the difference between their reaction and yours is that, for many people, it is entirely enough to feel as if the world as seem by a given character is changed.

• RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785

People bashing the quests in ESO need to provide a list of MMO's with superior quests if their claim is to have any legs to stand on. What can you offer? TSW? Cause that's the only other MMO I can think of with good writing and even then you literally are asked to kill x in the game. And the puzzles are known as press "b" to google - because many of the quests cannot be solved through in-game clues alone and require googling (not for walkthrough's mind you).

I do like TSW's quests, but outside of that I'm at a loss at which MMO's you have all played in the last 20 years with exceptional quests and writing.

Even if you liked SWTOR, that still brings it to 3 TSW, SWTOR, ESO. I'm trying to think of others with better written quests . . . I can't. Please refresh my aging memory.

And people complaining that the quests only involve

1. Killing something

2. Talking to something.

3. Interacting with something.

4. Puzzle.

May I ask what games you're playing in which these are not present and standard in?

Every ES game? Check.

Witcher? Super Check.

Zelda? Check.

Mass Effect series? Aaaaaand check.

Torment? Check.

Every final fantasy? Check.

Chrono Trigger? Check.

Baulder's Gate? Check.

Dragon Age Origins? Check.

In fact, the entire gaming industry is built upon those 4 core pillars of design. If you have access to some other highly regarded games that don't follow those principles, please do share. Because I think my brief list there has some of the most well received RPG's of all time on it.

• ropeniceropenice Member UncommonPosts: 588
    Originally posted by deakon
    Originally posted by deniter

Try harder.

Pretty much this.

You can take a generic plot, lets say from The Bold and the Beautiful, have it voice overed and make your player to pick up some items from the ground and kill some mobs, and you have a generic mmo questing.

It's that simple.

You have just described every single quest or mission in every single mmo, rpg, fps, action game etc

Go somewhere kill things pick up/interact with item, that is every mission in 90% of all story based games right there, how would/could you do it differently?

Thats the problem with these posts, they never give an example of a better quest design or the game that supposedly do it better. Of all the mmos ive played i thought DDO did the best at quest design with the thought, polish, difficulty (on elite level one trap can wipe party), but you could still break it down to going places and killing/collecting things if you ignore the other aspects of what makes quests different-story, challenge, journey (not the band, but how led through interesting environs), surprises, etc.

There will never be quests that are truly unique until games advance to having randomly generated content- ie player chooses goals reasons to adventure and the game creates content/journey of a random/never repeated adventure to goals. Problem is, people are tired of quests that feel like others they've done or once done, boring to repeat over and over.

• ViadricViadric Member Posts: 151
    Can't wait for this to go F2P in six months so i don't have to pay anything to play it. I hope they aren't to hardcore on the F2P restrictions though like LOTRO. 
  • CreatorzimCreatorzim Member UncommonPosts: 274
    Originally posted by Viadric
    Can't wait for this to go F2P in six months so i don't have to pay anything to play it. I hope they aren't to hardcore on the F2P restrictions though like LOTRO. 

What do you mean? you can go through LOTRO without spending a cent.

• ArndushArndush Member Posts: 303

So why/how are people trying to proclaim 10,000,000 subscriptions when the in-game numbers aren't showing?

What are your thoughts? Do you think the game really has 1, 2, 5, even 10 million subscription?

QUESTING

Why are people predicting that many subscriptions? Simple, optimism unchecked by reality. I'm a huge fan of this game but I have at least a basic understanding for the MMO market. I think ESO would be doing very well for itself if after a year it had between 1 and 2 million subs. However, while I think that is in the realm of possibility, I don't think it's very likely. Between 500k and 1 million is much more likely. If they can hold fast at 750k for the first year, they'll be able to build off that going forward. Remember, it's competing against WoW with a new expansion coming out, FFXIV, and Wildstar as sub based MMOs. If they can hold on to 750k, and churn out good content at a consistent pace, they can pick up some of the folks that become disillusioned with the other 3 games. Now, they have to get the current bugs fixed, they have to pick up their customer service, and they have to keep churning out good content in order to keep those subs and build on it. If they don't, than the "This game will go F2P in 6 - 12 months" crowd willl be correct. However, if they manage to do those things, they could be very successful in year 2 and beyond. But, there is no doubt in my mind that year 1 is make or break for ESO as a sub based game.

As far as the horses, gold rewards on quests pick up big time after level 14. I have a guild mate who made over 20k from questing and vendoring items between lvl 15 and 20. The first horse you can buy is 17.5k. Meaning you can get a horse at level 20 just like most MMOs at launch. Hell, way back when WoW first added mounts, you couldn't get one till 40 (or was it 50?) and that was based off of a hard level cap, not buy when you have the funds like in ESO.

• SenanSenan Member UncommonPosts: 788
    Originally posted by Rusque

People bashing the quests in ESO need to provide a list of MMO's with superior quests if their claim is to have any legs to stand on. What can you offer? TSW? Cause that's the only other MMO I can think of with good writing and even then you literally are asked to kill x in the game. And the puzzles are known as press "b" to google - because many of the quests cannot be solved through in-game clues alone and require googling (not for walkthrough's mind you).

I do like TSW's quests, but outside of that I'm at a loss at which MMO's you have all played in the last 20 years with exceptional quests and writing.

Even if you liked SWTOR, that still brings it to 3 TSW, SWTOR, ESO. I'm trying to think of others with better written quests . . . I can't. Please refresh my aging memory.

And people complaining that the quests only involve

1. Killing something

2. Talking to something.

3. Interacting with something.

4. Puzzle.

May I ask what games you're playing in which these are not present and standard in?

Every ES game? Check.

Witcher? Super Check.

Zelda? Check.

Mass Effect series? Aaaaaand check.

Torment? Check.

Every final fantasy? Check.

Chrono Trigger? Check.

Baulder's Gate? Check.

Dragon Age Origins? Check.

In fact, the entire gaming industry is built upon those 4 core pillars of design. If you have access to some other highly regarded games that don't follow those principles, please do share. Because I think my brief list there has some of the most well received RPG's of all time on it.

Quoting this, because I'd seriously like to see some of the avid naysayers around here address the points raised in your post.

ESO may need work in certain areas, but the questing isn't one of them (IMO.)

• GolelornGolelorn Member RarePosts: 1,395
    I'm having fun, but I am dismayed by the lack of people I see. I feel like there should be a lot more people playing. Do they just put 100 people in an entire world per instance? They need to cluster people together more. Other than that its a decent game.
  • MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614
    Originally posted by Soki123
    It won t matter for this or Wildstar when WoD comes out. Have fun while it lasts.

see you back when you burn through all that content in 1 day.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• chakalakachakalaka Member UncommonPosts: 291
    Man some of you are just so troll-like. Really? How the hell are we even talking about subs right now? Why are you so concerned with population anyways? It doesn't have to have 10 mil to be successful and for us the players to enjoy the company of others. Don't forget that this is a megaserver game and there will always be players and subs. I already purchased a three month sub so there. That counts as three right?
  • MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614
    Originally posted by chakalaka
    Man some of you are just so troll-like. Really? How the hell are we even talking about subs right now? Why are you so concerned with population anyways? It doesn't have to have 10 mil to be successful and for us the players to enjoy the company of others. Don't forget that this is a megaserver game and there will always be players and subs. I already purchased a three month sub so there. That counts as three right?

It's because WoW is losing subs and every new game that shows promise must be bashed in order to save their own game.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• Soki123Soki123 Member RarePosts: 2,558
    Originally posted by Muke
    It won t matter for this or Wildstar when WoD comes out. Have fun while it lasts.

see you back when you burn through all that content in 1 day.

Lol. Not going to happen. I take my time, besides, WoW is just a better game, so I actually enjoy my time in it. TESO s combat alone kills it for me.

• umcorianumcorian Member UncommonPosts: 519

Shots fired. 

To be fair, I agree with you... and it breaks my heart. Due to the innovation stagnation of AAA video game creators, a 10-year-old game is still the king of the genre. 

Imagine if this was another genre. We'd be forsaking Battlefield and Call of Duty because none of them measure up to Unreal Tournament or Quake 3! 

What the ****, mainstream? 

• Soki123Soki123 Member RarePosts: 2,558
    Originally posted by umcorian

Shots fired. 

To be fair, I agree with you... and it breaks my heart. Due to the innovation stagnation of AAA video game creators, a 10-year-old game is still the king of the genre. 

What the ****, mainstream? 

Yep, I m not saying WoW is the be all end all, but lets face facts here. Of all the people I know from my WoW guild, that is trying TESO, have ALL said, not one, not a few but ALL 50 ish of them, that they ll be back to WoW, when WoD is released, or before for the pre x pac thing. That's just how WoW is, people just keep coming back.

• chakalakachakalaka Member UncommonPosts: 291
    Originally posted by Muke
    Originally posted by chakalaka

It's because WoW is losing subs and every new game that shows promise must be bashed in order to save their own game.

Very good point, on that note I guess I can't wait till WoD or whatever it's called releases and they go back? Sweet!