Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ESO to grab market majority?

Comments

• MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

AWMAGAWD THEY SELL HORSES !!!!! PAY TO WINZ CASHGRAB FAWK MMO WONT GAVE MAH MONEYZ !!!

20 Million box sales this month !!! just kidding lol :P

I think it has potantial, alot !
    Now Zenimax just have to fix the bugs asap and create some veteran stuff as out guild already has Veteran rank 6 running around :P

Me ? i am taking my time, wont race to end game like i always did, this mmo just has to much to offer to race trough all of it.

I think it might actualy be a good mmo for people who loved the Elder Scrolls games or people tired of their own mmo and want to try something new.

Time will tell i gues :)

• NiurNiur Member UncommonPosts: 47
    Originally posted by Smoey
    It would not surprise me if this game does very well, majority? probably not.

LOL "probably not"...how about absolutely NO chance! I'm playing ESO myself at the moment, but I'm not delusional enough to think for even a second that it will grab the market majority. No if's, no maybe's...NO chance. If it retained a quarter of WoW's current subs (let alone in it's prime), it would be a massive success, but it's not even gonna reach those heights. 

• TbauTbau Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 401

If the game was doing great Zenimax would have used pre-order sale numbers to help hype the game and they sure as hell would have given us a sales number since release.

The game being at or near the top of PC sales charts means little looking at what other games have been released in the last 2 weeks, and there aren't many.

• killion81killion81 Member UncommonPosts: 995
    Originally posted by Niur
    Originally posted by Smoey
    It would not surprise me if this game does very well, majority? probably not.

LOL "probably not"...how about absolutely NO chance! I'm playing ESO myself at the moment, but I'm not delusional enough to think for even a second that it will grab the market majority. No if's, no maybe's...NO chance. If it retained a quarter of WoW's current subs (let alone in it's prime), it would be a massive success, but it's not even gonna reach those heights. 

As a sub game, it will likely be struggling within 6 months.  However, once they flip the switch on the B2P + cash shop conversion, I expect it to be a considerable monetary success.

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731
    Originally posted by Vannor
    Originally posted by Dihoru
    MMOs need critical mass.. people who keep saying it will also launch on consoles forget that that doesn't mean shit overall as the 3 populations will be separate from one another.

No, I'm pretty sure it would mean more people are playing it and it has a larger share of the market than without.

Divide 1-2 mil amongst 3 platforms with isolated populations from one another... then realize that that number is an ideal situation but by no means likely, get the idea?

You realise you're going completely off topic don't you? And the introduction of a console version will not lower the population on the PC version. There will be 3 audiences for the game.. not 1 audience split between 3 platforms.

1) Gaming market = PC+consoles+mobile, what was the topic of conversation again? Oh the market and how ESO may grab a majority of it you say... yeah, you are grasping at straws now.

2) In which universe do you think you live? One where Xbox One is separate from PS4 separate from PC? Most console gamers have multiple consoles (Xbox One and PS4) so the subs go down there, some console gamers have a PC and thus even more subs are lost because the percentage of people brain dead enough to splurge money on 3 subs isn't that high, 2 would be pushing it so yeah so much for your 3 audiences theory now lets move to the concept of separated populations and how this will shaft the game even more and I will make it simple for you because you seem to have difficulty comprehending simple things: The game will sell x amount, conservative estimates put it at 2-3 mil around launch and also now discounting the fact that anyone that wants to play ESO and has a PC from the last 3-4 years will buy it on the PC how well do you think the Xbox One and PS4 populations will do when they are separated from one another and the PC population? I reckon if this game moves 4 mil units and retains a 4th of that in subs for the first 6 months it will be a wild success... but that's pushing it.

• udonudon Member UncommonPosts: 1,803
    Originally posted by Mothanos

I think it might actualy be a good mmo for people who loved the Elder Scrolls games or people tired of their own mmo and want to try something new.

Time will tell i gues :)

If people can look past the sub and not go into it expecting a Skyrim clone I think the game can be well received by ESO fans.  ESO as a series has gone though some significant changes over the years and is Skyrim to ESO really that much bigger of a change than Morrowind to Obilvion for instance?

Time will tell and I think days 31-90 will be really telling so it's not like we have to wait long.

• PAL-18PAL-18 Member UncommonPosts: 844

I dont know ,because when i think the strongest points and i mean where it really shines.

its pretty much their graphics.

is that enough?i dont think so.

Theres so many things missing and other games can offer those even for free.

So, did ESO have a successful launch? Yes, yes it did.By Ryan Getchell on April 02, 2014.
    **On the radar: http://www.cyberpunk.net/ **

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    MMOs need critical mass.. people who keep saying it will also launch on consoles forget that that doesn't mean shit overall as the 3 populations will be separate from one another.

No, I'm pretty sure it would mean more people are playing it and it has a larger share of the market than without.

Divide 1-2 mil amongst 3 platforms with isolated populations from one another... then realize that that number is an ideal situation but by no means likely, get the idea?

You realise you're going completely off topic don't you? And the introduction of a console version will not lower the population on the PC version. There will be 3 audiences for the game.. not 1 audience split between 3 platforms.

1) Gaming market = PC+consoles+mobile, what was the topic of conversation again? Oh the market and how ESO may grab a majority of it you say... yeah, you are grasping at straws now.

2) In which universe do you think you live? One where Xbox One is separate from PS4 separate from PC? Most console gamers have multiple consoles (Xbox One and PS4) so the subs go down there, some console gamers have a PC and thus even more subs are lost because the percentage of people brain dead enough to splurge money on 3 subs isn't that high, 2 would be pushing it so yeah so much for your 3 audiences theory now lets move to the concept of separated populations and how this will shaft the game even more and I will make it simple for you because you seem to have difficulty comprehending simple things: The game will sell x amount, conservative estimates put it at 2-3 mil around launch and also now discounting the fact that anyone that wants to play ESO and has a PC from the last 3-4 years will buy it on the PC how well do you think the Xbox One and PS4 populations will do when they are separated from one another and the PC population? I reckon if this game moves 4 mil units and retains a 4th of that in subs for the first 6 months it will be a wild success... but that's pushing it.

The topic is about market majority, yes. You're making it about megaserver population. I am not grasping at any straws. You just don't know what you are doing. You're nitpicking at non-factual ideas as an attempt to put the game down.. probably to reinforce your own opinion about it. You're trying to hate, but you're also trying to be clever about it, but you're not.. to be honest you're not really making any sense at all... just throwing around random ideas that you 'want' to be true.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083

The topic is about market majority, yes. You're making it about megaserver population. I am not grasping at any straws. You just don't know what you are doing. You're nitpicking at non-factual ideas as an attempt to put the game down.. probably to reinforce your own opinion about it. You're trying to hate, but you're also trying to be clever about it, but you're not.. to be honest you're not really making any sense at all... just throwing around random ideas that you 'want' to be true.

Somebody get the burn ointment. This made my day, thanks Vannor.

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

• ElboneElbone Member UncommonPosts: 87
    If a game with Counter-strike level of animation makes it to the top, the MMO industry is really hitting a new low.
    Originally posted by Aeonblades

Gods... I am gonna point something out for you two so you can get what I am saying as you both seem to be a bit green: Server population is important for an MMO and ESO's population is going to be split 3 ways (PS4, X1 and PC) so it will need allot more subs on average across all 3 distinct platforms at the same time while also maintaining content creation at a satisfactory pace to stave of player boredom and drain from other MMOs, existing and upcoming. Why are numbers important? Well lets see: How will crafting work without customers? How will dungeons be run without team mates? How will RvR work without people to fight against?

Also I am not trying to hate merely pointing out this game has a pretty big uphill battle ahead of it and it isn't that good to begin with ( sorry but no it isn't, it is a decent game but a transcendental, cross-platform, experience which it will have to be to retain subs with a box price on top it ain't).

Originally posted by Elbone
    If a game with Counter-strike level of animation makes it to the top, the MMO industry is really hitting a new low.

Wait.. what? Are you suggesting that WoW has better animations?... because that's currently at the top.

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

Wait.. what? Are you suggesting that WoW has better animations?... because that's currently at the top.

WoW has excellent animation.

Gods... I am gonna point something out for you two so you can get what I am saying as you both seem to be a bit green: Server population is important for an MMO and ESO's population is going to be split 3 ways (PS4, X1 and PC) so it will need allot more subs on average across all 3 distinct platforms at the same time while also maintaining content creation at a satisfactory pace to stave of player boredom and drain from other MMOs, existing and upcoming. Why are numbers important? Well lets see: How will crafting work without customers? How will dungeons be run without team mates? How will RvR work without people to fight against?

Also I am not trying to hate merely pointing out this game has a pretty big uphill battle ahead of it and it isn't that good to begin with ( sorry but no it isn't, it is a decent game but a transcendental, cross-platform, experience which it will have to be to retain subs with a box price on top it ain't).

My friend, when I said this: "You realise you're going completely off topic don't you?" and then you disagreed with me.. claiming I was pulling at straws, it's was because you started talking about server population. You are still doing it. Please, get a clue. Start a thread about it yourself or something if you're that desperate to talk *ahem*hate*ahem* about it.

• venatsvenats Member Posts: 106

The animations in WoW are actually very good. The models are what is utter shit.

For however bad the combat in the game is (WoW) at least it works as it should, (ESO) fails to register its own abilities half of the time if you try to play fast and hit buttons faster than their queuing can handle.

Originally posted by BeansnBread

I didn't say WoW animations were bad. Ain't really better though are they? All seem fine to me.

• AroukosAroukos Member Posts: 571

Agree

WoW animations are better by a mile, at least.

I didn't say WoW animations were bad. Ain't really better though are they? All seem fine to me.

Yeah... see you in the "ZENI BETRAYED OUR FAITH WITH THE F2P ANNOUNCEMENT!" hate thread <3, I am not bothering to answer to someone who is so drunk on launch fumes.

Oh and you should really play WoW then CS 1.6 to get a clue.

Yeah... see you in the "ZENI BETRAYED OUR FAITH WITH THE F2P ANNOUNCEMENT!" hate thread <3, I am not bothering to answer to someone who is so drunk on launch fumes.

Now you're just trying to hate on me. Shame I think it will go FTP as well. Now what?

• JacobinJacobin Member RarePosts: 1,009

This game is going to see the massive population drop that every recent themepark has seen after the first 2-3 months.

Once people finish the generic quest conent and pvp for a bit they will all leave.

• Emmer4Emmer4 Member Posts: 29

Considering WoW launched in 2004 I am not sure what you are saying here....

I certainly don't hate ESO and will buy it once it stabilises I am sure, at least to try it out for the free month. But saying that what many, many people report as bad and clunky animation is acceptable because a game 10 years old is no better?

Not sure where you are going with that....

Originally posted by Emmer4

Considering WoW launched in 2004 I am not sure what you are saying here....

I certainly don't hate ESO and will buy it once it stabilises I am sure, at least to try it out for the free month. But saying that what many, many people report as bad and clunky animation is acceptable because a game 10 years old is no better?

Not sure where you are going with that....

Again, I didn't say that. Just saying I don't have a problem with the animations in either game. I don't think either has amazing animations, they just do their job. Only time I've noticed a jarring animation in ESO Is when you start running immediately after crouching while using an object or something. That looks a bit weird.

• AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083

Yes, I'm really looking forward to playing WoW again with it's dated animations and squared everything. The rainbow color scheme smeared across 3 polygons and character animations with sticks up their butts does wonders for me graphically.

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

• Emmer4Emmer4 Member Posts: 29

Yes, I'm really looking forward to playing WoW again with it's dated animations and squared everything. The rainbow color scheme smeared across 3 polygons and character animations with sticks up their butts does wonders for me graphically.

Animation does not come more dated and stilted looking than it does in ESO. It even rivals 10 year old games for that particular accolade. Have you SEEN a bow being used in game? Urrgh....

ESO animation also has the "stick up butt" syndrome, it's something you see with most Hero Engine derivitives...along with the inability of the engine to support chat bubbles at all or nameplates very effectively.

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607

The best you might say for this game in terms of market share, is that, at least for a while, SWTOR won't be able to claim to be the 2nd biggest US subscription MMO.

Not saying the game is bad; I haven't played it.  Just saying I'm getting tired of people speculating this crap less than a week out from a launch.

You could have said AoC and/or WAR could have a majority share of the market back when they launched.  And guess what?  People did.  While I suspect this game will do much better, threads like this one this close to launch are just flat out silly.