Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

so my account got banned for 3 days

13»

Comments

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by Ramonski7
    Originally posted by BeansnBread

I beta'd the game and had no clue you could do this until the OP posted it. That's all I'm sayin. Now do you really think all those beta users are only interested in beta testing ESO? If so, why is the OP ignoring gold sellers that are in the game right now trying to take advantage of legit ESO players? You don't think using the /ignore feature will appeal to them? Cause I doubt hackers and gold seller are normally using the ignore function. But I'm sure they would if they knew about this.

As a matter of fact It's only a matter of time before this thread is removed or mod edited to correct the OP's oversight.

You don't need to use the ignore feature... You just don't know what you're talking about.

So there are other ways to expose someone's userID other than what the OP showed me today. Oh yeah thanks for really schooling me....image But we're good as long as you keep those methods to yourself (or report them to ZM).

IF you were unaware. THe username (account name) is visible within guild and friend functions along with Ignore.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059

I beta'd the game and had no clue you could do this until the OP posted it. That's all I'm sayin. Now do you really think all those beta users are only interested in beta testing ESO? If so, why is the OP ignoring gold sellers that are in the game right now trying to take advantage of legit ESO players? You don't think using the /ignore feature will appeal to them? Cause I doubt hackers and gold seller are normally using the ignore function. But I'm sure they would if they knew about this.

As a matter of fact It's only a matter of time before this thread is removed or mod edited to correct the OP's oversight.

You don't need to use the ignore feature... You just don't know what you're talking about.

So there are other ways to expose someone's userID other than what the OP showed me today. Oh yeah thanks for really schooling me....image But we're good as long as you keep those methods to yourself (or report them to ZM).

Everyone on your friends list and in your guild can see your userID.

• Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662
    Originally posted by Distopia

IF you were unaware. THe username (account name) is visible within guild and friend functions along with Ignore.

Oh ok like I said other than some betas very early on I didn't play too much. Glad I use the name of a local DJ as a user name when I beta'd. Hate to see what happens to those that used real names and lost interest in the game.

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

• MikeJezZMikeJezZ Member UncommonPosts: 1,268
    Can hackers ignore the access code when you login for the first time ?
  • FdzzaiglFdzzaigl Member UncommonPosts: 2,433

While I think the OP has gone a bit too far in finding out about that specific person on his ignore list, he does bring up a very valid point.

There are a lot of total assholes out there on the internet. Unwillingly giving them your information when that is the exact opposite of what you want to do (as you're putting them on the ignore list) is a VERY bad situation.

Feel free to use my referral link for SW:TOR if you want to test out the game. You'll get some special unlocks!

• OldMMOGamerOldMMOGamer Member UncommonPosts: 100
    OP was so worried about it he posted it to a major game blog because he got a 3 day ban.....yeah right
  • Anoebis.beAnoebis.be Member Posts: 62

Hiya,

How about you use a name for your userID that isn't your real name ? Mine is Dinovash, yeah go look it up, you wont find my personal stuff besides my shitty youtube channel and a couple of forum posts here and there.

Funny thing is, there's actually more than one Dinovash because there a Dinovash on Instagram but that's not mine.

Anyways, if you use your real name for your userID then yeah, people might look it up and find your facebook although I don't understand what the drama about that is because if you have set your security options in facebook then you have nothing to worry about...

• g0m0rrahg0m0rrah Member UncommonPosts: 325

And yet again he exposed this practice on a public forum with over 2 million users in hopes of doing exactly what? I understand that people like helping others (I try to all the time), but somethings have to be thought through or pointed out for others to see that more harm may be done than good.

You seem very uninformed on the processes of internet or hell any software security.  Microsoft will indeed post hacks being used to get into Windows and with every single Windows patch Microsoft will list what was breached and how.  So Microsoft itself is giving people the means to hack a system that isnt patched.  The purpose is to expose holes and patch them.  There are several companies out there that will pay you for finding exploits and there is a reason for that.

Most companies are not like Microsoft and they would prefer to keep security issues secret.  Then when a company like Target gets hacked you begin to wonder if they had any inkling that their security is flawed.  What this user did was stand up and say " Hey Zenimax, your security sucks ".  Zenimax knows the problem and the fix is simple.  When people get hacked, we now have the means to point at Zenimax and say " We told you so", and they can be held liable.  Silence almost never fixes a problem. 

For years I have bitched about games that use email addresses as logins.  I got into the habbit of creating an email address per MMORPG that I only use with that specific game.  You never give someone your login because that is 50% of what they need to gain access.  It would be like someone in the military saying " hey you can borrow my CAC ".  Login ID's should be kept as secret if not more so than a password.

• amber-ramber-r Member Posts: 323

They aren't really doing anything wrong as such, sloppy? sure but nothing wrong.

What OP is complaining about is the same as if you called your dog your internet username (that you use for everything) and the vet posted your dogs username on a forum when talking to you or something.  Sure you can do a google search from that dogs name, which then shows everything you use that username on but you shouldn't use the same username on everything should you.  The problem, is that most people are ignorant of basic things they should do online because they simply don't understand that if you use the same username for everything it can be tracked back to facebook, emai and whatever else you used it for.

Google is a powerful tool, stop using the same names for everything.

• AwDiddumsAwDiddums Member UncommonPosts: 416
    Originally posted by Iceman8235
    So you got pissed off at a guy, tried to find as much information out about him as you could because you're crazy, then came to the realization that someone could do the same to you and tried to get your userID changed?  This is some how the company's problem?  You have issues dude.

That's how it sounds to me aswell.

• AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,006
    Luckily if my name was typed it lead to a local footballer with a similar name, and island or a sail boat. So it decreases the likelyhood anyone could find any info out about me unless they really wanted to.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• ViadricViadric Member Posts: 151
    OP is NSA. 
  • ZebladeZeblade Member UncommonPosts: 931

Well lets not jump off the bridge yet. You dont need any MMO to find anyone the internet remembers everything. Its to late you cant hide anymore. We all have a paper trail. And no ..no hackers out to get  you that firewall ATTACK is just a ping from that site you were at.

You don't know this guy form Adam yet so many are "OMG this is wow awful".

Then you hear nothing from the other side yet they are judged and convicted almost. He came here.

Who does this bring, shine the light on? Yeah.. haha its like.. Officer I was just trying to show them how easy it is to rob the store. I was trying to help and you wanna lock me up?

OP if you got banned its 3 days..really? 3 days? A month or 3 months then talk.. TO THEM.

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731

Just wanna point out that if the user ID is similar to your e-mail account then you can also be tracked down on facebook without much issue, donno about other sites but yeah.

Also to the people calling out that "OMG! OP YOU GIF HAXXOR IDEAS!"... I am not a hacker or even remotely linked to the computer sciences in any way ( I am a physicist ) and I saw this one coming so the idea that a person dedicated to hacking people's accounts for profit wouldn't have had this idea in the first 30 minutes of analyzing this situation is .... childish to put it nicely. The OP is giving you all a heads up and a reference to use in your arguments to Zeni CS should your account be compromised and you should all be bending over and kissing his feet for it because he did what none of you lot has done: Spoken out against a fucked up fact.

• Dr_ShivinskiDr_Shivinski Member UncommonPosts: 311

I'm with OP on this. I don't understand why people think it's so morally reprehensible to google search someone like that out of curiosity. It's not like OP was hunting down the dude's social security and CC numbers. Displaying peoples UserIDs is pretty outrageous if you ask me and ZoS should step up and own their mistake and make a fix instead of trying to sweep it under rug the rug with the, "It's not a bug, its a feature!" defense. CCP is the only company I know who can successfully pull that off and that's how EVE is still running today. 

I mean really people even if you didn't care of TESO and never had any intention of playing it I would think you would be more outraged over the idea of any company handing out HALF your login information without your permission. I can understand if you add someone to your friends list (though I still think that is boneheaded) but seriously the idea of someone putting me on their ignore list and just having my userid tossed in their lap is disgusting.

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731
    Originally posted by Dr_Shivinski

I'm with OP on this. I don't understand why people think it's so morally reprehensible to google search someone like that out of curiosity. It's not like OP was hunting down the dude's social security and CC numbers. Displaying peoples UserIDs is pretty outrageous if you ask me and ZoS should step up and own their mistake and make a fix instead of trying to sweep it under rug the rug with the, "It's not a bug, its a feature!" defense. CCP is the only company I know who can successfully pull that off and that's how EVE is still running today. 

I mean really people even if you didn't care of TESO and never had any intention of playing it I would think you would be more outraged over the idea of any company handing out HALF your login information without your permission. I can understand if you add someone to your friends list (though I still think that is boneheaded) but seriously the idea of someone putting me on their ignore list and just having my userid tossed in their lap is disgusting.

Not sure if incredibly misinformed or with an agenda.

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100

This is another reason to create another new email for every new mmo. Never associate them to your social media if you feel compelled to use it. Anyway my facebook page is full of lies. My family often asks me why I have my birthdate and place of birth all wrong ....

Chamber of Chains
  • makasouleater69makasouleater69 Member UncommonPosts: 1,096

Well, why o why would you be using the same user name you use for a face book account. Why would you be using the same user id for anything else but ESO. I just typed mine in and it comes up with nothing. So on face book people get your user name, this site people get your user name. You send a email to some one they get your user name. You need to seek some help man. 

You think some ones gonna hunt you down for playing ESO wrong hahah? Seriously if you are worried some one is gonna go beat you up from playing ESO or kill you, you shouldent even be on the internet. You better go buy a house 100 miles from any one, buy 3 foot steel doors, incased in 5 foot concrete.

And yes its best not to contact ESO for any reason lol. You may get banned, I reported 2 gold spammers, and they banned me. So i dont report any one, nor do i use there help, or customer service any more. I hope i just dont randomly get banned again. Unless some one got access to my character, through that bug. But the point is just lay low, and no one will bother you. Dont get pulled over and tell the cop, hes a dirty dirty pig, and you hope his family dies cause he does his job wrong.

• GeridenGeriden Member UncommonPosts: 390

Very dogey, that would easily allow hackers to steal accounts with half the effort. 

In a few weeks i bet they will start reaping in peoples gold to sell mwa ha ha ha ha !!!

• BattlerockBattlerock Member CommonPosts: 1,393
    Originally posted by OldMMOGamer
    OP was so worried about it he posted it to a major game blog because he got a 3 day ban.....yeah right

You obviously didn't read the op. What the OP has brought to light is a big deal and it's way more than a 3 day ban - that's the least of the problems.

Since it's to hard to read, some of the main points are that if you ignore someone, that person is provided with your username, to which they could use to gather personal information about you.

Yes information can be aquired any number of ways, but websites and games should not be helping the cause. When personally identifiable information is on the line, that's taking things to a whole new level, a level that could have legal ramifications against websites and games.

• mogilny89mogilny89 Member UncommonPosts: 32

So in a game where you are paying a monthly fee they are going to ban you for foul language, when there is a language filter?

How dumb are you people?  Why would you give them one penny of your money to treat you like this?  When will you learn some self-respect and discipline.

They work for you, you dont work for them.

• Dr_ShivinskiDr_Shivinski Member UncommonPosts: 311
    Originally posted by Dihoru
    Originally posted by Dr_Shivinski

Not sure if incredibly misinformed or with an agenda.

Sorry it was sarcasm actually. A CCP GM used that exact line when someone sent in a ticket about a manufacturing "bug". And half the  time after an expansion we can't tell if something is a bug or a feature, like when rubicon 1.0 deployed wormholes were acting really odd; making random activation noises and the animations would shudder, and we couldn't tell one way or the other until we sent in tickets and they told is they were not working as intended.

• CreatorzimCreatorzim Member UncommonPosts: 274
    Originally posted by makasouleater69

Well, why o why would you be using the same user name you use for a face book account. Why would you be using the same user id for anything else but ESO. I just typed mine in and it comes up with nothing. So on face book people get your user name, this site people get your user name. You send a email to some one they get your user name. You need to seek some help man. 

You think some ones gonna hunt you down for playing ESO wrong hahah? Seriously if you are worried some one is gonna go beat you up from playing ESO or kill you, you shouldent even be on the internet. You better go buy a house 100 miles from any one, buy 3 foot steel doors, incased in 5 foot concrete.

And yes its best not to contact ESO for any reason lol. You may get banned, I reported 2 gold spammers, and they banned me. So i dont report any one, nor do i use there help, or customer service any more. I hope i just dont randomly get banned again. Unless some one got access to my character, through that bug. But the point is just lay low, and no one will bother you. Dont get pulled over and tell the cop, hes a dirty dirty pig, and you hope his family dies cause he does his job wrong.

Most people use the same account name for all games they play. Its something they had for a long time and they use it over and over. Almost no one can get that kind of information unless you give it to them. So its a secret. When someone gets it you can start finding information about that person. With that information you can steal someones account pretty easily, not sure how ESO does buying in game stuff but you could start using someone elses credit card for whatever you want on their account...

Just look at how that 5 year old got into his dads xbox live account. Everyone thinks this wasnt a big deal, except for the fact that peoples credit cards are connected to that and all it takes would be someones account name to get into the account and start spending.