Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why the hate for quests?

123457»

Comments

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    Originally posted by nariusseldon
    Originally posted by SEANMCAD
    Originally posted by GuyClinch

The quests in ESO are just as good if not better then those in Skyrim. MMOs can do quests fine. Phasing works..

I think the point that is being missed is that some of us are not interested in quests. That is why Skyrim is such a good example of how two different play styles can co-exist just fine. I have around 300 hours of game play in Skyrim and although I do quests I do not pay attention to them...why? because they are bad? no because i very simply do not want to.

So if you no problem with others who may like quests, and want to see them improved in MMORPGs?

I am not a fan of the 'no option other than to quest' model.

There is really no reason why games can make questing more of a choice which is EXACTLY what Skyrim is like.

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

The quests in ESO are just as good if not better then those in Skyrim. MMOs can do quests fine. Phasing works..

I think the point that is being missed is that some of us are not interested in quests. That is why Skyrim is such a good example of how two different play styles can co-exist just fine. I have around 300 hours of game play in Skyrim and although I do quests I do not pay attention to them...why? because they are bad? no because i very simply do not want to.

So if you no problem with others who may like quests, and want to see them improved in MMORPGs?

There is really no reason why games can make questing more of a choice which is EXACTLY what Skyrim is like.

It is already a choice.

In WoW, you don't have to do a single quest to level up after L10 or so. You can run dungeons which involves no questing at all.

In Diablo 3, you can just do bounties and never repeat a quest (bounties are essentially reward with no context .... just kill, complete and be rewarded).

I am sure there are other choices.

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775

It is already a choice.

In WoW, you don't have to do a single quest to level up after L10 or so. You can run dungeons which involves no questing at all.

In Diablo 3, you can just do bounties and never repeat a quest (bounties are essentially reward with no context .... just kill, complete and be rewarded).

I am sure there are other choices.

I have never played WOW so I cant speak to it. But I can speak to EQ2 which it is possible to play the game without questing however your character progress will easily be about 1/100 that of a questing tract. I assume the same is true for WoW.

So the point is rather obvious....no questing SAME RELATIVE REWARD. glossing over this point or pretending like its not obvious is in no ways being clever.

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• CoffeeBreakCoffeeBreak Member Posts: 236

What are the two play styles in Skyrim?  

1. Do the quests, complete all the little stories.

2. Wander around for 300 hours exploring the many many similar caves and killing stuff with buggy, mediocre combat?

I have never played WOW so I cant speak to it. But I can speak to EQ2 which it is possible to play the game without questing however your character progress will easily be about 1/100 that of a questing tract. I assume the same is true for WoW.

So the point is rather obvious....no questing SAME RELATIVE REWARD. glossing over this point or pretending like its not obvious is in no ways being clever.

Your assumption is incorrect. When i was still playing wow, the faster way to level is to run LFD dungeons, which usually is faster than questing, even if you count the wait time.

In the new wow, i think you can get instant L90 characters. So the fastest way is not to quest, it is to click a button and do nothing.

• AtrusVAtrusV Member UncommonPosts: 305
    The best questing system for me is the one of SWTOR. Of course, they had to invest a lot to give it so much content, but you have the feeling that the quest help to develop the personality of your avatar. In my case, being a Sith Inquisitor, I could perform the paper of a neutral sith, which is something I always wanted to try. In other games, you simply have to kill 10 orcs and come back with their tokens... But why can't you listen to the feelings of the other part? Why can't you ally with the orcs? What if they are enslaving the green-skins? I can do that in SWTOR, not in any other game.

• Flyte27Flyte27 Member RarePosts: 4,574
    Originally posted by AtrusV
    The best questing system for me is the one of SWTOR. Of course, they had to invest a lot to give it so much content, but you have the feeling that the quest help to develop the personality of your avatar. In my case, being a Sith Inquisitor, I could perform the paper of a neutral sith, which is something I always wanted to try. In other games, you simply have to kill 10 orcs and come back with their tokens... But why can't you listen to the feelings of the other part? Why can't you ally with the orcs? What if they are enslaving the green-skins? I can do that in SWTOR, not in any other game.

You could have done something similar to this in Everquest.  For instance you could have gone and killed the halfings or people in town and it would have raised your faction with certain people who like what you are doing.  It's the freedom of not being restricted by another persons story.

Originally posted by Flyte27

You could have done something similar to this in Everquest.  For instance you could have gone and killed the halfings or people in town and it would have raised your faction with certain people who like what you are doing.  It's the freedom of not being restricted by another persons story.

He can .. but why should he? Is it more fun to him to do random stuff? Freedom does not equate fun.

He can .. but why should he? Is it more fun to him to do random stuff? Freedom does not equate fun.

I'm pretty sure he just said he doesn't like being restricted by the story that is available.  He want's more options.  The problem is the person who writes the story will write it their way.  Thus it will not be as fun to him as his own story.  Maybe he want's to humanize the orcs and save them from the nasty humans, but another person doesn't want that story or thinks it's dumb.  Either way the only thing that can happen is the one that is written into the game because it's a story driven game.

I'm pretty sure he just said he doesn't like being restricted by the story that is available.  He want's more options.  The problem is the person who writes the story will write it their way.  Thus it will not be as fun to him as his own story.  Maybe he want's to humanize the orcs and save them from the nasty humans, but another person doesn't want that story or thinks it's dumb.  Either way the only thing that can happen is the one that is written into the game because it's a story driven game.

well, he was praising TOR .. so I don't know what you are talking about. TOR is as linear as questing can get.

In any case, i probably should let him state his own preference. For me, freedom does not equate fun, and professionally produced stories are great entertainment to me.

well, he was praising TOR .. so I don't know what you are talking about. TOR is as linear as questing can get.

In any case, i probably should let him state his own preference. For me, freedom does not equate fun, and professionally produced stories are great entertainment to me.

Did you even read this persons post?  I didn't reply randomly for the fun of it.

In other games, you simply have to kill 10 orcs and come back with their tokens... But why can't you listen to the feelings of the other part? Why can't you ally with the orcs? What if they are enslaving the green-skins? I can do that in SWTOR, not in any other game.

• CastillleCastillle Member UncommonPosts: 2,679
    Originally posted by Dauntis

Why do so many people on these forums hate quests?

I see a lot of folks seethe hatred for quests, I just picture the old D&D cartoon Dungeon Master aproaching them and saying something like. "Oh mighty hero, I have a quest for thee!" and then the player spitting in his face and kicking him in the groin for having the odacity to give them a quest.

I guess I just don't get the hatred.

Because obviously quests managed by  DMs are vastly superior to quests in MMOs.  Thats like comparing McDonalds menu to a 3 star restaurants menu.

''/\/\'' Posted using Iphone bunni
    ( o.o)
    (")(")
    **This bunny was cloned from bunnies belonging to Gobla and is part of the Quizzical Fanclub and the The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club**

• KareliaKarelia Member Posts: 668
    Originally posted by Deleted User
    Because they are no longer optional adventures, they are the primary delivery of xp. They are now being shoved down our throats and delivered in such a quantity that the quality and novelty suffers.

This

• RydesonRydeson Member UncommonPosts: 3,852
         Let me know we are no longer pigeon holed into doing what the devs dictate..  If I want to go around killing NPC, and destroying my faction. so be it..  If I was to be a turn coat traitor, that should be my option NOT THEIRS..  That was one of the beauties with EQ.. The ability to choose who I want to associate with..  Religion was the only thing you could corner yourself with.. (Which should of been tweaked)..
  • AlumicardAlumicard Member UncommonPosts: 388

I love quests. To be given a task that needs a strong hero/character or even a bunch of those is great BUT all those NPCs I meet are just to freaking lazy to kill those 10 rabbits themselves and collecting apples seems unworthy of their time. Better sit on that chair for another day. As excuse of a reward they give me "xp".. yeah picking up these fruits was really tough and battling those rabbits made me a swordmaster...

Originally posted by Rydeson
         Let me know we are no longer pigeon holed into doing what the devs dictate..  If I want to go around killing NPC, and destroying my faction. so be it..  If I was to be a turn coat traitor, that should be my option NOT THEIRS..  That was one of the beauties with EQ.. The ability to choose who I want to associate with..  Religion was the only thing you could corner yourself with.. (Which should of been tweaked)..

what ... you can't be a turn coat traitor in EQ .. there simply is no option/quest/text/story to do that. And i doubt you can get enough players to RP that.

EQ has the least freedom .. all you get is to choose to go where and kill what .. which is available in all MMOs. And modern MMOs have quests, LFD, arena, BG  ... on top of just going to some place to kill some stuff. I am glad the genre has moved on. Otherwise, if it is still like EQ, i wouldn't have come back.