Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nice MMORPG stories. Win a sub, box or just some cash for ftp by sharing a nice story about another

ozmonoozmono Member UncommonPosts: 1,211

So we often complain about, or worse insult, each other here for trivial reasons. I've seen an entire games playerbase be demonized on more than one occasion. It also seems we often forget that games are supposed to be fun and MMORPGs are social games which we can share with each other for the purpose of enhancing each others joy not detracting from it. Anyway I'm not above it myself and rather than just point out the worst elements and complain about it I thought I'd try something different.

I'll be giving away money (I haven't decided how much I can afford yet but atleast 100 US dollars) via paypal to someone or maybe a couple people who share a nice story about another user here and/or a nice story about someone they've met playing MMORPGs. Since this is aimed at doing good for the community I will give preference to stories about other MMORPG.com users but I won't rule out a good story you may have from just playing MMORPGs. By good and nice I mean kind, generous, selfless, helpful etc.

Hopefully I'll get more good responses than I can afford to reward and in such an event feel free to join in.

Comments

• syntax42syntax42 Member UncommonPosts: 1,378
    This one time on MMORPG.com, I made a post with a title that summarizes the post in as few words as possible.
  • ForeverdreamForeverdream Member UncommonPosts: 141
    I'll write you one :)
  • ShaikeShaike Member UncommonPosts: 301
    Originally posted by ozmono

So we often complain about, or worse insult, each other here for trivial reasons. I've seen an entire games playerbase be demonized on more than one occasion. It also seems we often forget that games are supposed to be fun and MMORPGs are social games which we can share with each other for the purpose of enhancing each others joy not detracting from it. Anyway I'm not above it myself and rather than just point out the worst elements and complain about it I thought I'd try something different.

I'll be giving away money (I haven't decided how much I can afford yet but atleast 100 US dollars) via paypal to someone or maybe a couple people who share a nice story about another user here and/or a nice story about someone they've met playing MMORPGs. Since this is aimed at doing good for the community I will give preference to stories about other MMORPG.com users but I won't rule out a good story you may have from just playing MMORPGs. By good and nice I mean kind, generous, selfless, helpful etc.

Hopefully I'll get more good responses than I can afford to reward and in such an event feel free to join in.

Does deciding I do not enjoy WOW anymore and finding some newbe and giving him/her all my stuff and money and helping them a while with understanding all the races/profs/etc count?

Because i did that (and never looked back since) image

Just my 2 cents...

• ozmonoozmono Member UncommonPosts: 1,211
    Originally posted by Shaike

Does deciding I do not enjoy WOW anymore and finding some newbe and giving him/her all my stuff and money and helping them a while with understanding all the races/profs/etc count?

Well your winning so far. ;)

It was intended to be about someone else rather than yourself but it doesn't really matter much I suppose.

• ShaikeShaike Member UncommonPosts: 301
    Originally posted by Shaike

Well your winning so far. ;)

It was intended to be about someone else rather than yourself but it doesn't really matter much I suppose.

if i win I'll give my payout to charity :-)

Already have most of what i need/want...

Just my 2 cents...

• DauntisDauntis Member UncommonPosts: 600

Back in my heavy WoW playing days we had a guild mom, she was a kind and helpful woman. She had a healer and a tank and would switch between the two to help others level or fill in whichever spot was needed in a raid. Her two real life children often played with us as well and they were a great family. When her kids went off to college (and other games) we lost contact with her.

Well my story is not really about what she did in game but rather what she did out of game. One Christmas she had asked for our addresses to mail us Christmas cards. Instead of Chistmas cards all of us guildees about 30 in total received hand made guild tabards, it was pretty awesome. We all sent her thank yous and encouraged her to come to our guild meeting we had planned around New Years.

Our guild mom started crying on vent and told us she couldn't come, she explained that she could not afford it. She payed for WoW for her and her kids as their only entertainment, she had the materials to make the tabards because she had run her own fabric store and that it had gone bankrupt after she had been injured in a car accident and couldn't run her store. Her husband had left her and the kids and she just wanted to do something nice for her new family, her guild.

The guild scrambled to raise money to buy Christmas gifts for her two kids and someone volunteered to pick her and the kids up for the guild meet and we payed for her food and hotel room. They were amazing people and I wish I hadn't lost touch with them.

Help support an artist and gamer who has lost his tools to create and play: http://www.gofundme.com/u63nzcgk

• CalvenCalven Member Posts: 151

My first real MMORPG experience was my first time loging into WoW with my newly created NE druid. Teldrassil was magical, the music enchanting.. I was hooked at once. Another player, as new as me i assumed, ventured around the starting area together with me, not speaking a word. We simply assisted each other, made sure we both made it out alive from the Shadowthread Cave and always waited for the other to complete their quests. All this was done without speaking to each other until we parted ways after completing Shadowglen. I don't remember the exact words but they were simple, like 'Hey mate, we did well back there. Take care!'. We came across each other a couple of times after that and always used some emotes to say hello. It was amazing. I was completely immersed in the world! Then I went on to to 'steal' a chest while someone was fighting the mob guarding it. He scolded me a bit and asked if I was new to the game. When I replied I was, he let me keep the stuff I found and told me a few things about the game. I was both ashamed I had committed such a crime, but extremely excited that some random dude would instantly forgive it and even help me out a bit.

Entering the other races capitals would also leave me in awe. The music was always immensly beautiful and the cities felt so alive. Darnassus was always a bit empty but it never bothered me.. It actually suited the theme of the city well to be  relaxed and quiet. But, Stormwind and Ironforge.. Ma gawd, those places were magnificent.

I left WoW after 4 years or so. The expansions never really felt right in my opinion... And over the years the community turned sour. But regardless of all this WoW holds a dear place in my heart.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

Says who? MMORPGs are just online games that can be played soloed (to me).

• sunandshadowsunandshadow Member RarePosts: 1,985
    I often help out newbies because I find it entertaining, but since I don't generally ask for help, I don't have a lot of stories about someone else doing something nice for me.  I do have one though - a guy I hardly knew gifted me with a month's subscription to Uru online just because he was currently playing it, was excited about it, and he saw me make a post saying I liked the Myst series.  Uru turned out to be a really memorable game too, I'm glad I got to play it. ^_^
    I want to help design and develop a PvE-focused, solo-friendly, sandpark MMO which combines crafting, monster hunting, and story.  So PM me if you are starting one.
  • ozmonoozmono Member UncommonPosts: 1,211

Right I've made a decision to give the money to Shaike. He shared a generous story but more importantly he said he'd give the money to charity which is another good story in itself. Shaike PM me your paypal username and I'll send you the money.

If you have more good stories, please continue to share them, we've had some good ones so far.