Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Editorial] Elder Scrolls Online: Review in Progress Part 1

Comments

• Azuri21Azuri21 Member UncommonPosts: 15
    Originally posted by Ozmodan
    Originally posted by Azuri21

I'm just a little tired of MMO's launching with a sub based model to recoup production costs then going f2p when the realization that new sub based games are no longer a viable payment model. I'm not defending WoW at all that game is not worth a sub either but runs strictly on  brand loyalty and player invested time on characters.

Never thought I'd say it but I won't drop the cash in sub based games like Teso, Wildstar anymore. My most recent games that I dropped money into for a box and sub based games include, Rift Tera, SWTOR all went f2p and enjoyed them all except for SWTOR. I will high five you all in game in about 6+ months when Teso is f2p. 

As far as Bill's article on the game it's pretty spot on, my review of the game was a bit shorter.  I give it a 6 or 7 out of 10 or in one word, meh. I've got my flame suit on so fire away but mark my words it will happen sadly. Not meant to be a huge Debbie Downer and do wish the players of this game many enjoyable hours but shame on developers thinking the sub  payment  model is still viable long term these days. Look at Titan it went back to the drawing board since they knew it would fail under that payment model.

Seriously, did you really think that post through?  Try playing any of these "AAA" f2p games for free.  It ends up being a frustrating experience.  If you like a game support it.  You will get far more enjoyment out of it.  I avoid any f2p game I cannot sub to.  If they don't have a sub they milk you through the item shop for far more than a sub cost.  If I find a game I like I sub to it,  that eliminates so many hassles of f2p restrictions.  $15 a month is a truly minor cost when it comes to playing a game you enjoy. 

Seriously did did you even read my post? I swore by sub based games sadly they are no longer viable. Gamers screaming they want f2p has shifted the way MMO's do business. Enjoy your sub in this game as it won't last long I absolutely strong believer that sub was the way to go. I've thrown the towel in on any good MMO sustaining a sub model. Feel free to bookmark this post and prove me wrong. 

• DeddmeatDeddmeat Member UncommonPosts: 387
    After the beta's .. i decided to restart EQ2 and D3 instead.

• RudedawgCDNRudedawgCDN Member UncommonPosts: 507

I'll give you a hint, 1 handed/shield has some of the highest DPS in the game if you know how to build your character around it.

This is simply untrue.

1H/S does not have "some of the highest DPS in game".

You may have found some abilities that have nice synergy and give you high DPS - but not "some of the highest DPS in the game".

The reason you haven't posted the abilities is because you know someone else would call B/S and post much better DPS options from other classes/abilities/weapon synergies.

• HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    Originally posted by Dihoru
    Originally posted by Four0Six

There's a very good reason I do not read reviews for mainstream/AAA MMOs:

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/367/view/reviews/load/178

Looks glowing doesn't it? Now they may have changed but with one of the more catastrophic issues found and fixed not being mentioned in the list found in this review (and the patcher issue continues, multiple people had to download over a dozen gigs last night due to a patch) I am of the opinion that this "review" has either been paid for or is the result of someone incapable of maintaining the modicum of objectivity required to review something.

It is well known that B.Murphy loves games, all of them.

I don't believe he, or MMORPG.com are shills, just lovers of games.

Then they should quit because if you actually care for gaming you critique not praise because there are enough sites out there that have two settings: paid or your game sucks and finding a source of objective information is pretty hard.

The only reviews that should be read are player's. Amazon's player reviews are the best to read. Never trust reviews from gaming sites that get paid for doing them. And when it comes to mmo's never trust anything until the games been out awhile.

• DeeJay612DeeJay612 Member Posts: 58
    Originally posted by Ozmodan

I'm just a little tired of MMO's launching with a sub based model to recoup production costs then going f2p when the realization that new sub based games are no longer a viable payment model. I'm not defending WoW at all that game is not worth a sub either but runs strictly on  brand loyalty and player invested time on characters.

Never thought I'd say it but I won't drop the cash in sub based games like Teso, Wildstar anymore. My most recent games that I dropped money into for a box and sub based games include, Rift Tera, SWTOR all went f2p and enjoyed them all except for SWTOR. I will high five you all in game in about 6+ months when Teso is f2p. 

As far as Bill's article on the game it's pretty spot on, my review of the game was a bit shorter.  I give it a 6 or 7 out of 10 or in one word, meh. I've got my flame suit on so fire away but mark my words it will happen sadly. Not meant to be a huge Debbie Downer and do wish the players of this game many enjoyable hours but shame on developers thinking the sub  payment  model is still viable long term these days. Look at Titan it went back to the drawing board since they knew it would fail under that payment model.

Seriously, did you really think that post through?  Try playing any of these "AAA" f2p games for free.  It ends up being a frustrating experience.  If you like a game support it.  You will get far more enjoyment out of it.  I avoid any f2p game I cannot sub to.  If they don't have a sub they milk you through the item shop for far more than a sub cost.  If I find a game I like I sub to it,  that eliminates so many hassles of f2p restrictions.  $15 a month is a truly minor cost when it comes to playing a game you enjoy. 

Seriously did did you even read my post? I swore by sub based games sadly they are no longer viable. Gamers screaming they want f2p has shifted the way MMO's do business. Enjoy your sub in this game as it won't last long I absolutely strong believer that sub was the way to go. I've thrown the towel in on any good MMO sustaining a sub model. Feel free to bookmark this post and prove me wrong. 

I agree completely with Ozmodan. I think your point was acknowledged and addressed. Even if a game goes f2p there is a still a subscription alternative offered in most cases. If you play the game in f2p mode you do not have all the features and the cash shop ends up nickel and diming you to death. I agree, that if you are a fan of the game why not just pay the subscription and support it. Get all the features included in the game and enjoy yourself. Once you tire of a game or you feel that it is not worth your 15 bucks a month... drop your subscription and play for free or move on. With the different payment options you are in control of your gaming experience. 

MMORPG played in order played: Sims Online, WoW, CoX, EQ2, LinksRealm, LOTRO,TOR...and counting
  • DeathWolf2uDeathWolf2u Member Posts: 291

If they would of named this game some other title and not base it off 'The Elder Scrolls' IP then it would of been a game not as scrutinized and nit picked on as it was by true Elder Scrolls fans. However that's not the case and ESO is in no way an Elder Scrolls experience but just another cookie cutter mmo.  That's the real feel you're gonna get from playing this game.

ESO is a game geared more for people who never played any Elder Scrolls games or are not real fans of them. I'm just blown away at the amount of die hard fanatics of ESO. Not being mean or anything just saying I was amazed at the amount of people standing behind ESO.

To each their own if you like ESO that's fine if you hate it that's cool too. I also got in the 'Wildstar' beta test and was greatly disappointed in that game as well.

I'm almost convinced that the mmorpg genre has died sometime ago as no developer can bring a title forth that's even worth a damn to test in beta let alone play after release.

• MelgarothMelgaroth Member UncommonPosts: 42

I was skeptical about this game in beta.....

Boy how I was wrong.

I decided on a whim last week that to heck with it, i'm not playing any MMO's at the moment so might as well try it out. I've dropped 60 bucks on games before that I only played a few days so might as well give ESO a try, after all I love all the ES games.

Myself and a friend started playing on day 1. About 2 hours in I decided that I was quite thoroughly addicted... like crack, maybe more than crack since i've never tried it.

If you had doubts about the game in beta I urge you to give it another try. The AvA is quite fun and I find myself, like Bill, wanting to explore every nick and cranny of the world and absorb the environs completely.

I even bough a new GPU just for this game yesterday and had it overnighted just to be able to enjoy its beauty on Ultra settings.

Just get it.

• BigdaddyxBigdaddyx Member UncommonPosts: 2,039
    ESO is going to get 9/10 rating from Bill. image
  • UgUgUgUgUgUg Member UncommonPosts: 81
    double post

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    Originally posted by Four0Six

There's a very good reason I do not read reviews for mainstream/AAA MMOs:

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/367/view/reviews/load/178

Looks glowing doesn't it? Now they may have changed but with one of the more catastrophic issues found and fixed not being mentioned in the list found in this review (and the patcher issue continues, multiple people had to download over a dozen gigs last night due to a patch) I am of the opinion that this "review" has either been paid for or is the result of someone incapable of maintaining the modicum of objectivity required to review something.

It is well known that B.Murphy loves games, all of them.

I don't believe he, or MMORPG.com are shills, just lovers of games.

I agree. I love a good conspiracy theory as much as the next guy, but I think that there is, generally, good data provided with their reviews, so reserve your judgement for that (and the final score of course). For me, I don't know if it's a 9, but it's not far off. Say what you want, but there are a lot of features that people are looking for in games right now. There is a different level of difficulty. Progression has been slowed, but still seems reasonable. You can craft the best items (apparently), but it's not a cakewalk (at all). 

Unfortunately, people who are hyper critical generally bring surface-level issues to the review. "It's just another WoW 1/10", ok, like how? "It had a bugged launch 1/10" Great, but how did it play? At least someone who does a review of the game gives meaningful, useful information. Oh, and I don't think that an 8 out of 10 is out of line for SWTOR either. I mean if there are things that are done within the game that you feel don't warrant the grade given, then say it. Don't just accuse people of being dirty and underhanded, Dihoru.

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• UgUgUgUgUgUg Member UncommonPosts: 81
    Originally posted by NomadMorlock
    Just FYI. There is no shortage if gold if you craft or trade. I broke 30,000 gold on the second day of head start and bought my 43,000 horse on day three. This from mostly searching every container in cities for 12 hours a day for 2 days and selling the rare drop racial motif books. If you want to sell rares, join multiple trade guilds and buy from one and sell in the other, sell ore, there is no problem making money. In fact I would say that there should be more money sinks.
    Its nothing personal but players like yourselves aggrieve me. Everyone has the right to play they way they want to but gamers who play MMO games excessively and obsessively cause game developers to modify them to keep you happy. This then means that the game cant grow based on natural objectives but developers have to waste time and resources to introduce or focus on gameplay features that maintain your interest rather than let you burn out in weeks.  It also means you make so much cash the economy is driven upwards out of the reach of a casual player for many things.
    You may say its other gamers responsibility to keep up but its just not responsible gameplay and asking anyone to play the same way is impracticable and outrageous.

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,986
    Really this should be called "Preorder Pre-launch Days Review", because that's what it is.
  • TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026
    I played mostly EP and DC in beta. I am playing now in AD and I must say it has FAR fewer bugs there. It sure sounds like AD has had far more refinement over time.

You stay sassy!

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

Yep.

Still gonna wait 1-2 months.

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872

Unfortunately this article reads like just every other ad-piece that have been published as "reviews" on this page.

Just like with every other reviewed game, i wonder if the author even reads this site's own forums -as they are usually loaded with rightful critic and as well negative points which whoever writes a review on mmorpg.com NEVER seem to experience.

It's good to see though that with every other major title again getting a free 8.5 and a soft-touch review, more and more people do notice this agenda and leave their concerns about it in the comments.

I posted it a week ago and still stand by that: 8.5 review with the typical fluff cons such as "game eats your time", "character customisation could be deeper" incoming.

Edited for paragraphs, fix your comment function already

• TalemireTalemire Member UncommonPosts: 839
    Aye, excellent game. Still only level 8 and started March 30th.
    Isaiah 41:10
  • VedaRaaVedaRaa Member Posts: 5
    Not holding my breath. They give WAR a very good review and we see how that turned out.
  • KarmaMuleKarmaMule Member Posts: 10

If by "Doria" you mean Doshia, then you need to figure out what's going on during the battle and once you figure it out she goes down like a ton of bricks.  I solo'd her easily with my mace/shield nightblade the other night.

I've started going astray on a couple builds I've tried and found that after a couple well-placed skill points they can get right back on track.

ESO's progression is quite different from other games'.  Don't assume there's a design flaw just because you haven't figured it out yet.

--------------------------------------------------
    Regard all phenomena as dreams...

• KnotwoodKnotwood Member CommonPosts: 1,103
    Bill Murphey you are a man after  my own heart.   You are 100% spot on.  I think the minority of haters who are the most vocal will probably scream at you like they did me though.
  • TbauTbau Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 401
    I will wait a few months after they are no longer advertising on sites and the "new and shiny" has worn off. There were plenty of great reviews of SWTOR out there at release and it took 3+ months before realization set in and suddenly honest clear sighted views were made.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,012
    Originally posted by Hariken

The only reviews that should be read are player's. Amazon's player reviews are the best to read. Never trust reviews from gaming sites that get paid for doing them. And when it comes to mmo's never trust anything until the games been out awhile.

I don't really trust players either.

So you say that game sites are never objective because they get paid, I would offer that there are a lot of players who are equally subjective bringing in their own issues, their knee jerk reactions, in some cases they have a sense of "this is the way it should work because I believe it should work this way" regardless of reality.

If someone is panning or praising an item then I find it more important to see what they are panning or praising as opposed to being bent out of shape or glowing in their praise.

If 1,000 people pan something it still might be the best thing I've ever experienced/purchased simply by looking at what they are panning. same goes with praises.

When I go on to Amazon I immediately discount the lowest and highest reviews unless they are overwhelming on either end (in which case I carefully read why they are panning or glowing) and look at the 2-4 star reviews.

In the end, for me, the only good review is my review.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • CaptBananaPantsCaptBananaPants Member UncommonPosts: 3

Bill, another gold-saving tip I read is to NEVER repair your gear while leveling. The repair costs are outrageous, and you don't suffer any performance penalty on your gear or armor until it's actually broken - you'll outgrow it long before that in almost every case. Even if you do break it, you can likely craft something better yourself for less!

(Excellent even-handed review, by the way)

• GreyifGreyif Member UncommonPosts: 17

Very accurate Bill, only once have I had to do a "Collect XxX Ogre Teeth" quest, which makes the game feel really refreshing, after I hit level 10 I really started paying attention to all the quest givers and listening to the story.. makes you connect so much more to the characters and the game.

Also the Elder Scrolls Lore Series by Shoddycast on youtube has helped me greatly in understanding all the lore and makes the quests seem much more emotional.

^ Is the lore series if anyone is interested.

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713

Just because you don't agree with Bill doesn't mean he is being paid or blindly giving praise. If you just want opinions that mirror your own, look at yourself in a mirror and start bitching. Some of us aren't jaded asshats who hate everything. The truth is he IS being objective. The game has it's faults but despite that it is a lot of fun. If it's not fun for you, then fine.

My Mom hates video games all together, in her opinion every positive review of every game ever is wrong. She doesn't give a shit though, because she just doesn't play them and moves on with her life.

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731
    Originally posted by Fendel84M

Just because you don't agree with Bill doesn't mean he is being paid or blindly giving praise. If you just want opinions that mirror your own, look at yourself in a mirror and start bitching. Some of us aren't jaded asshats who hate everything. The truth is he IS being objective. The game has it's faults but despite that it is a lot of fun. If it's not fun for you, then fine.

My Mom hates video games all together, in her opinion every positive review of every game ever is wrong. She doesn't give a shit though, because she just doesn't play them and moves on with her life.

Does not mention either of the two current, massive, issues with the game namely:

*the regions where people are getting rollbacked constantly;

*the reports of the server logging people into the wrong accounts.

Objectivity would require full disclosure of issues, either partially or fully confirmed. This has not happened which either implies incompetence or secondary motives.

If you want examples of similar "reviews" take a look at classics like the SWtOR review or other gems from major publishers which somehow got a pass while indie developers sometimes get nailed to a cross for far less.