Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The One Old School RPG to rule them all!

Comments

• orionblackorionblack Member UncommonPosts: 493
    Originally posted by Yoda_Clone

Knotwood, at times you sound like the Shill of Shills.

ESO is not EQ; not even close.

It is a linear game; not as bad as SW-TOR or AoC, but not free roaming gameplay like the Elder Scolls games, either.

It is not the Second Coming (TM).

Let it be what it is and quit trying to hype it so much.

As to your linear game play remark, I can tell you have not played the game at all. I just spent the last 3 hours on my healer running around the mainland (i'm so bad with names, so can't remember what it's called) gathering mats and picking up random quest here and there. Leveling up quite nicely ,all while NOT DOING the main quest line. Had to back up as a matter of fact to do it.  So...aren't linear games only meant to be played one way, hence the linear tag??

What ever...lot's of folks on right now.

• prowessprowess Member UncommonPosts: 169
    Originally posted by orionblack

It is a linear game; not as bad as SW-TOR or AoC, but not free roaming gameplay like the Elder Scolls games, either.

As to your linear game play remark, I can tell you have not played the game at all. I just spent the last 3 hours on my healer running around the mainland (i'm so bad with names, so can't remember what it's called) gathering mats and picking up random quest here and there. Leveling up quite nicely ,all while NOT DOING the main quest line. Had to back up as a matter of fact to do it.  So...aren't linear games only meant to be played one way, hence the linear tag??

So...  because you can choose a different direction to go in a straight line, it's not linear?  Do you have any options for leveling up besides a linear questgrind?

Originally posted by prowess

So...  because you can choose a different direction to go in a straight line, it's not linear?  Do you have any options for leveling up besides a linear questgrind?

Hmm let's see...Why don't you ask them 50's if they finished every quest line to get to 50??

• TedgerTedger Member Posts: 20

I agree to a point, but I would not use old school to describe this game.. more like for me its rebirth of this genre, I havent had this much fun since UO or DAOC. I just played wow for a moment as some of my friends played it, but always found it very lacking, especially in rvr/pvp department. So... for me old school describes the feelings this game awakens in old dawg like me. 

"Let me tell you of the days of high adventure!" - Direct quotation from Conan Barbarian.. for me it fits this game nicely also.

(too bad AoC was bad in my taste)

Have fun :)

Originally posted by Tedger

I agree to a point, but I would not use old school to describe this game.. more like for me its rebirth of this genre, I havent had this much fun since UO or DAOC. I just played wow for a moment as some of my friends played it, but always found it very lacking, especially in rvr/pvp department. So... for me old school describes the feelings this game awakens in old dawg like me. 

"Let me tell you of the days of high adventure!" - Direct quotation from Conan Barbarian.. for me it fits this game nicely also.

Totally agree with you....I miss the actual old school kill you on the spot UO.....talk about building friendships!! 

But yes I have not been so engaged by any recent game, even SWtOR with their story lines, like ESO currently gots me.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

I'm still going to wait and see how many fans will continue to sing the praises of ESO when it's time to sub up. Or most importantly, RE-sub up.

That's the most convincing argument.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer

I'm still going to wait and see how many fans will continue to sing the praises of ESO when it's time to sub up. Or most importantly, RE-sub up.

That's the most convincing argument.

I can tell you right now there's no way I play this game less than three months when I finally do make a purchase. I expect more actually, then again I know what types of games I like and which I don't. This is definitely one I like. It covers most of what I look for. Immersion, Believable NPCS/life (aesthetics), Good PVP, a nice amount of exploration, questing that I enjoyed, and did I mention I like the PVP? I PVP because I have fun doing it, I don't care about rewards just like to PVP and experiment with builds. I haven't really liked the PVP in a MMORPG since SWG.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

Totally agree with you....I miss the actual old school kill you on the spot UO.....talk about building friendships!! 

But yes I have not been so engaged by any recent game, even SWtOR with their story lines, like ESO currently gots me.

I kinda like swtor and its storylines... but it was too cartoonish and whole republics greatest heroes and evil doers having hutt ball games... wtf? Ok.. never got over things like that.

I DAOC there was real bond between the players in the realm, you rolled into one realm and pretty much stick with it. One thing I havent seen since was how ppl really defended their realm from invasion... even when in some dungeon grouping, if CTA was called.. (usually realm wide call to arms), we often would drop what we were doing and head to frontier to our called rally point. When you began heading to Uppland, you would see others doing the same, riders rushing north, individual people popping up from forest. Unglings and veterans alike. We would defend our frontiers and relics against the forces of Hibernia and Albion. Yeah.. we really hated those ppl. There were alliances and betreyal... and huge three way battles and backstabbing. (I am glad that Matt Frior from Mythic and times of DAOC is in dev team.. I hope he can infiltrate more good stuff from daoc into eso ;) )

Old music from midgard

"Dem hibbies" (great video)

"Who says trolls cant love"

"Da healer" http://www.angelfire.com/hero/stagemaster/music/da_healer.mp3

I had only trolls characters.. just loved em :D

"Our realm will we defend!"

now I feel dirty.. I have rolled elf chars :P

• dotdotdashdotdotdash Member UncommonPosts: 488

When Star Wars The Old Republic launched without a raid finder, among several other features (including duel spec), most of the player base lost their... cool. It was a travesty! How dare a modern triple-A MMO launch without what many considered to be a standardised component of the genre! Bioware got dragged over hot coals to the point where they had to double back on their "no dungeon finder" philosophy. And so it has been with every MMO since WoW; if a key feature present in most other big budget MMOs is missing from "the next big game", everyone gets angry at the developers until they at least put a poor, hastily built substitute in the place where said feature should go.

ESO releases without an auction house, without warzones, without a dungeon finder, without raids, forces everyone to level through PvE, etc, etc, but because the MARKETING AND ADVERTISEMENTS say the game is obstructive and feature limited by design... it's fine. It's "old school".

In my opinion, ESO is far from old school. What Zenimax have done is built a modern, Triple-A themepark MMO with a linear and largely unimportant levelling system designed to funnel players along pre-laid tracks to the endless zerg treadmill that is the PvP Elder game, whilst omitting several key features consumers expect from games like this. The only difference between ESO and SWTOR in each not having a dungeon finder is that Zenimax, unlike Bioware, seemingly realised that players would be far calmer about the lack of key systems if their absence is marketed as a "feature" in and of itself. Bioware simply said they would not implement dungeon finder. Zenimax found an excuse and turned it into marketing.

Zenimax have gone to great lengths to make it seem as if ESO is built on a foundation that relies on these systems and features being absent - in some cases entirely, in others only until you hit cap - to work. The game CAN'T have an auction house system, it CAN'T have a dungeon finder, it HAS to be HIGHLY obstructive or... well... it just wouldn't work!!!!111!!11!

That is, quite frankly, rubbish.

In my opinion, Zenimax wasn't primarily interested in making ESO feel "old school". Given the huge budget and prolonged development time the game has had, it's more likely that a lot of these features were planned, or something similar was at least, but they got de-prioritised for future content patches and expansions, or cut entirely. That, to me, is far more reasonable an explanation than "they made it old school". The suggestion is that something was different "back in the old days", that MMO developers were different back in the old days, more about making games than making money perhaps?? Old school MMOs were probably developed with exactly the same mentality back then as they are today. The stadium got bigger, but the game's still the same.

Take player trade, for example. Before auction houses become commonplace in MMOs, which didn't take very long at all, player-to-player trade was facilitated and encouraged through intelligently designed systems, be this through simply labelling trade hubs, in some cases limiting trade to specific areas so as to concentrate players in specific and set locations throughout the game world, or even developing explicit player-to-player trade UIs or shop systems that allowed players to easily trade with one and other. Developers eventually implemented things like auction houses and automated player shops, but prior to doing so they implemented a system to at least partially offer comparable functionality.

Dungeon finders are another good example of this. Before dungeon finders many MMOs had convenient systems and processes in place to facilitate player parties and raids. In many older MMOs, there were summoning stones or teleport locations right by or quite near to the entrances to pretty much every dungeon (bar the "select few"). Player coordination was also facilitated through things like global chats or a LFG channels that allowed players to find groups even for dungeons that weren't in their current zone. What functionality do you suppose the now-homogeneous guild system solves? ;D Developers didn't just omit functionality for the sake of it; they COULDN'T implement dungeon finders easily back in "the day", although I'm sure they probably thought about it, so they implemented the best solutions they could come up with at the time, some very simple and ineffectual, others involving specific systems designed to make it as easy as it could be to find a group.

My point is that whilst a decade or more ago MMOs didn't have a lot of the systems and "service mechanics" we're used to today, systems that make things like finding groups or raids, or selling items, or getting from A to B, etc, so easy (and raising different problems by being so convenient), developers of "old school" MMOs still constructed (or at least attempted to) explicit systems designed to deliver similar or comparable functionality within a far more stringent set of technical and creative limitations.

ESO certainly feels "old school" in that the omission and/or obstruction of so many core features and functions makes it feel in some areas like it might have been purposefully limited to old boundaries, but that narrative does not run true in every case. In some cases, such as with the auction house, it seems like a convenient and, in the current climate, marketable excuse for omitting functionality either for financial reasons or for the purpose of carefully guiding players down a predetermined and well-trodden path of linearity... or for both. Considering that other areas of the game less related to the speed at which the average player will progress seem to be drenched in convenience and ease, I find it doubtful that there was any creative intent behind the decision to omit or obstruct features like an auction house and grouping up.

And there's way more ESO criticism and suspicion where that came from. The game just doesn't feel like a work of creativity and passion, and instead feels like a weak attempt to mesh the financial potential of "another World of Warcraft" (who's success as a subscription game in the West is to this day anomalous...) with the significant strength of critically acclaimed TES franchise (in almost nothing but name).

;D

• VolenibbletsVolenibblets Member UncommonPosts: 246
    It's in examples like ESO that you realise that gamers really are just plain different. I think a lot of the 'what?! how can you like blah blah blah' flaming comes from the innate assumption that everyone is just like you so if they like something you think is an incredibly bland/2-D/rehashed done-to-death format then they're just confused and need some assistance in the form of upper case text haranguing till they're put right on the matter. Glad you enjoy it, though your comments sound like a newly wed telling everyone that his wife is 'the most beautiful woman in the world' whilst the guests just scratch their heads in confusion and stare aghast as she devours the entire wedding cake.                
  • TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627
    Going to be watching your post in the future when you try to explain how ESO only has 150k to 300k subs in a few months time....and then goes free to play to try to stay alive.
    Originally posted by Teala
    Going to be watching your post in the future when you try to explain how ESO only has 150k to 300k subs in a few months time....and then goes free to play to try to stay alive.

So.. OP, many others as well, me included, are telling how he is feeling good about game. We are enjoying ourselves and really hope that this game will have future, dont care if its "f2p" or monthly fee.

Intresting that you choose to doom and gloom over us. Do we irritate you?

• BigdaddyxBigdaddyx Member UncommonPosts: 2,039

So.. OP, many others as well, me included, are telling how he is feeling good about game. We are enjoying ourselves and really hope that this game will have future, dont care if its "f2p" or monthly fee.

Don't mind her. She hates all themepark MMOS.

And yes i agree. As long as game i up and running and has regular content i dont care if its F2P or P2P.

Why would the OP need to explain such? That's not in his hands.

Originally posted by Bigdaddyx

And yes i agree. As long as game i up and running and has regular content i dont care if its F2P or P2P.

Yes, that is why I say WoW is one of the best MMORPG's ever made.   That means I hate all themeparks.    I don't hate them all, I just think they could have been made better.   If I am so wrong, why have so many failed and why have so many had to go free to play just to stay alive?  

Originally posted by Distopia

Because, he is the one that comes to the forum hyping a game that doesn't deserve the level of hype he has given it.   He spouts of incredible sub numbers and then comes in proclaiming this is the best MMORRG ever "one RPG to rule them all".  Really...I mean, really?

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    The op sure talks some dribble lol, desperation is strong in this one. ESO is your typical new gen coop game labled as a mmmo but with really shit animations and combat. Nothing old school about it, ArcheAage is more old school.

• sethman75sethman75 Member UncommonPosts: 212

Can't get over some of the criticism of the game being linear and a grind.

Protip - Pick a direction and go and find quests and things to do there. If you think that is linear you need to evaluate what the word means.

And grind? I have not seen one single kill 10 rats quest. I'm guessing this is a veiled attack on the leveling portion of the game which the same people tend to hate.

If it's not a pvp centric level less MMO, the same people are not happy about it.

Originally posted by Bigdaddyx

Yes, that is why I say WoW is one of the best MMORPG's ever made.   That means I hate all themeparks.    I don't hate them all, I just think they could have been made better.   If I am so wrong, why have so many failed and why have so many had to go free to play just to stay alive?  

You're perceived how you present yourself, in the things you say and how you say it.That goes for all of us.

Originally posted by Distopia

Because, he is the one that comes to the forum hyping a game that doesn't deserve the level of hype he has given it.   He spouts of incredible sub numbers and then comes in proclaiming this is the best MMORRG ever "one RPG to rule them all".  Really...I mean, really?

WHo are you to decide how much hype the game should deserve in the OP's eyes? For all you or I know this could be his favorite game ever. There's no universal guideline on which game deserves what level of praise when it comes to the individual.

• dotdotdashdotdotdash Member UncommonPosts: 488

[Interesting that you choose to doom and gloom over us. Do we irritate you?

Interesting that the inference of this comment is that the sharing of negative opinions is in some way indicative of a motive other than the sharing of a negative opinion.

Saying "I think it'll maybe get 150K-300K subscribers and then it'll go f2p" is no better or worse than readying a post that says "I think ESO is an amazing game and I'm enjoying it and think it will be very successful." There seems to be some suggestion that blindly positive comments like that are fine, but blindly negative comments are in some way invalid due solely to the fact that they are negative, despite the fact that both comments are equal in their severity and ignorance ;D

• cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652

While I do not agree with this being a true old school mmorpg, I can see that its a much slower paced game with lots of exploration added on. You can pretty much go around any zone and tell a lot of work and care went into designing every zone to kinda tell a story and immerse the player. Also the leveling is much slower than most other themepark games although some have found ways to just basically exploit the system or power game and miss half the content but to each their own. 

While you do have some hand holding on the quest lines the quests themselves are actually pretty detailed and actually do tell a story especially once you get past the starting areas. The fighter and mage guild quest lines are also pretty well done and actually do require you to be active in combat and not just auto attacking as there are mini bosses. So I can kinda see where the OP is coming from but I do think comparing it to EQ in a technical sense is far from accurate but maybe in a lore and story sense I can kinda see where hes coming from. I grew up playing EQ DAOC and even vanilla wow and I can tell you one thing about all of them , the older I get the last thing I want to do is grind mobs for hours and days just to get one level and I think ESO has a very good pace, not to fast but not ungodly slow. I think this game out of all the recent mmorpgs released in the last 6 or 7 years I think ESO is the best one at least for me as it has the pvp I like and the lore and story I really enjoy. 

• mindw0rkmindw0rk Member UncommonPosts: 1,356

Another topic in "you kids dont know anything" category.

There are many gamers who are older then you and who played more RPGs then you. And who dislike TESO. Deal with it.

Originally posted by SavageHorizon
    The op sure talks some dribble lol, desperation is strong in this one. ESO is your typical new gen coop game labled as a mmmo but with really shit animations and combat. Nothing old school about it, ArcheAage is more old school.

So.. sun is shining your friend is having fun and good day... you go to him and say "you cant enjoy, dont you remember you gf just left you and its going to rain for the rest of the week, and prolly your next gf will dump you too because you are too into it."

• majimaji Member UncommonPosts: 2,091
    I'd probably give ESO a try, if it wouldn't be for the combination of purchase + subscription + cash shop. That's a bit too much for me.

Let's play Fallen Earth (blind, 300 episodes)

Let's play Guild Wars 2 (blind, 45 episodes)