Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Being in love with this game the 20 kill quest has pretty much killed all leveling in Cyrodiil!

Comments

• PyatraPyatra Member Posts: 644
    Originally posted by xpiher
    Originally posted by Pyatra

There are 70+ other daily/one time quests in PVP that grant sick XP, I know, I've done them and leveled faster than doing PvE.  Deal with it.

Please list them so people can see what they are so we can put this thread to rest. 

At work right now and no one has a list yet... well according to Google.  So below is the map of Cyrodiil we have so far most of the quest are not there but the locations that have quests are.  All 7 cities have between 2-4 quests themselves, not to mention the other 3 you get from your HQ.  Right there is 24 possible daily quests.  Those quests I know are dailies, the rest are off the beaten path but I killed a bear for 1/4 level worth of XP at 24th level so they are viable... the bear one was near the city/town near AD so a slight curved arc to the next keep. 

Here is a map with the structures you will most likely find quests near, this should help people out who want to just get there and get the quests... their quest markers are sooo not up to date.  Also be careful with some of the NPC villages that are hostile... that's were you find a bunch of normal looking NPCs that will just freak out and go full werewolf on you. 

http://esohead.com/map#16.2.54.50.42:43:44:45:46:47:48:49:50:60:59:58:57:56:55:54:65:64:63:62:61:4:2:53:52:51:30:36:7

• DamediusDamedius Member Posts: 346
    Originally posted by xpiher

There are 70+ other daily/one time quests in PVP that grant sick XP, I know, I've done them and leveled faster than doing PvE.  Deal with it.

Please list them so people can see what they are so we can put this thread to rest. 

It's like the rest of the game. If you wander around, you're bound to run into quests.

I would imagine it would be faster to just kill mobs in one of the many dungeons in zone though.

• Moar61Moar61 Member UncommonPosts: 260

I'm pretty sure it was just easily exploitable to get to the top of the leaderboards. My campaign got it's first Emperor last night (our side, Daggerfall), and we never seen this guy once while we battled, defended, sieged. He was just off camping or something. 

I on the other hand was at every single major attack, defense, scroll capture, etc. and ended up 5th in line for emperor (the other 4 also did the same as I). 

• doc_claytchdoc_claytch Member Posts: 29

They "fixed" the wrong thing.  This is related to the end-goal for VR levels, or whatever new systems they have in mind for future retention of players.  

I pointed this out, but in DAOC the realm ranks took YEARS to max out.  The utility from them however, was great enough that people actually wanted to continue to PVP for more realm points to continue getting new RA's (realm abilities, just like veteran levels).

DAoc also had kill tasks.  The major differences are:

1) The current VR XP curve is too quick/easy.  It should be (or should have been) corrected to require much longer to reach VR10.  In parallel, the rewards for each level need to be appropriate.  This is END game currently, as far as i know.  If not, then they better have an awesome idea for near-future improvement to the VR levels or something entirely new to continue progression and rewards.

2) In DAOC, you only got credit for full kills so leaching from a Zerg didnt grant you 20 kills in 60 seconds like it sometimes can in TESO.  

Having a 1-time/day kill-task is obviously a poor decision.  Hopefully they realize this and make changes to other parts of the system as people should be able to get a reasonable reward throughout their play session.

• kanechartkanechart Member UncommonPosts: 707

Detailed list and their locations. Thanks.

SNIP

• SoraksisSoraksis Member UncommonPosts: 294
    Originally posted by kanechart

He just posted a link with an entire map full of structures and quest locations of the previous page,  but now I think I know why you are so upset with this decision.  Your lazy, instead of finding them for yourself you want it all handed to you with little to no work on your part.  Similar to running one quest over and over to speed level, because your lazy and want the easy way out.

• Juice2000Juice2000 Member UncommonPosts: 95

The nerf was not done because of XP it was done because of the AP gains. You could clear the quest in 30 seconds if you were in 24m raid zerging keeps. This was pushing the AP leaders stupidly far out of reach of 90% of the players. Also it was allowing you to get a piece of blue gear every half hour making all other types of loot, quest rewards and crafted pieces worthless. This they did not want. A fair compromise would be to either lower the AP gained to say 100 or 200 per hand in or make the quest 5 individual kill not group kills.

Originally posted by Soraksis

He just posted a link with an entire map full of structures and quest locations of the previous page,  but now I think I know why you are so upset with this decision.  Your lazy, instead of finding them for yourself you want it all handed to you with little to no work on your part.  Similar to running one quest over and over to speed level, because your lazy and want the easy way out.

I was actually being sarcastic. I had no clue there was a ton of quests outside the few you get at the hub. I don't PvP I only PvE you can even check the sticky post for my Let's Play Series. I do try it at level 10 but I'm all for it for PvE. So don't try to pin crap at me :P

I just think overall it's causing and has been causing a bit of a stink in game. More people now trying to find ways to power level rather enjoy the game just to go back to PvP. I guess being able to gain decent or even half decent EXP while going with the flow in PvP was a lot of fun for them. I don't see it being an issue.

SNIP

• DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926
    Originally posted by JHenry
    Originally posted by drakkyn
    Originally posted by Distopia
    I think it's a poor decision, not that I'd definitely use that route, for an alt I may have. Regardless of me personally, there are many who just want to PVP, they shouldn't be forced to do something else they should be able to enjoy what they want to do. I think this will turn off more players than it helps to keep.

I agree.  I leveled a few characters in GW2 purely through PVP and I wanted to do the same. 

I hope they put in an alternate quest or add new quests.

Congrats on your first post! Account from 2004 lol.

Anyways, I think the scouting missions are not daily, but they are tedious to do (except if the campaign map is not busy enough). The rewards from scouting missions are scant as compared to kill missions though.

holy cow, 10 years is a long time to look for a post button

Originally posted by Juice2000

The nerf was not done because of XP it was done because of the AP gains. You could clear the quest in 30 seconds if you were in 24m raid zerging keeps. This was pushing the AP leaders stupidly far out of reach of 90% of the players. Also it was allowing you to get a piece of blue gear every half hour making all other types of loot, quest rewards and crafted pieces worthless. This they did not want. A fair compromise would be to either lower the AP gained to say 100 or 200 per hand in or make the quest 5 individual kill not group kills.

Public Dungeons I can get a blue every few minutes. Not sure how it's bad in PvP :P

SNIP

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

Nonsense, getting others to do your work for you is actually very smart......  image

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• azmundaiazmundai Member UncommonPosts: 1,419

because what mmos need is more of a reason for people to mindlessly chase kills in objective based pvp.

LFD tools are great for cramming people into content, but quality > quantity.
    I am, usually on the sandbox .. more "hardcore" side of things, but I also do just want to have fun. So lighten up already :)

• hulgarhulgar Member Posts: 93
    Yeah..
    -Hey we are at war!!
    -Ok what are the orders?.must we take something?..keep it?..siege?
    -Nahhh..just go..kill 20 enemy soldiers and come homw for your medal.
    (Lol..pvp done right)
  • TiconzTiconz Member UncommonPosts: 120
    What Zenimax should have done was lower the amount of points you received for turning it in and left everything else the same.  In the campaign I am in.  People were catching up to the leaders but repeatedly turning in those kill quests while not contributing to anything other than leeching kills off of raids.  Those actually doing their part can't just break off to turn in the quests so those leeching could pull ahead of them.  It needed to be changed... just not the way Zenimax did it.

• hulgarhulgar Member Posts: 93
    The focus on pvp MUST always be objectives. Take and keep it..not kills. Place a system with lets say 10 or 20 respawns per player per 24 hrs to avoid mindless zergs and maybe you can beguin to have a good pvp system
  • ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

It's a horrible decision. Once more I have no idea what they are thinking. Why did they even do this? It just makes no sense. You can't just eliminate the only non-PVE levelling system without putting any replacement into it! If they had to do away with it for whatever reason, you HAVE to put in something else to make decend XP in PVP!

It just shows - again - how HORRIBLY unexperienced ZOS is in MMO. *sigh*

And why are they making it NOW, when it aggravates so many? Why didn't they make it long ago in beta? Wasn't that was beta was supposed to reveal, if it is exploitable?? Sorry, but it's just another proof that ZOS are bloody amateuers in handling a MMO.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• SmarnyPeteSmarnyPete Member Posts: 69
    I think it's a poor decision, not that I'd definitely use that route, for an alt I may have. Regardless of me personally, there are many who just want to PVP, they shouldn't be forced to do something else they should be able to enjoy what they want to do. I think this will turn off more players than it helps to keep.

Leveling in Cyrodill should be an option, but I think the change is a good thing. 1. It changed how I play in Cyrodill. I no longer just join a random zerg and then suicide after my 20 kills. I roam with my guild (instead of all of us just joining zergs) in much smaller groups and don't port back to the starting locations anymore. Besides at the end of my game time. Small group roaming around zeg fights is so much more fun.  2. Due to my group not just following a zerg all the time we have found quite a few quests in Cyrodill and a couple of public dungeons. Gained 2 skill points last night and good drops in those dungeons. Also had a couple fun ganks and been ganked in those dungeons too. 3. Finding and completing the quests scattered around Cyrodill has led to quite a few small group fighting. We spent a lot of our game time last night fighting at a few quest turn ins.

We are still getting levels (I gained almost 2), AP points, gear emailed to us, but are leveling on pace with PvE now.  Maybe slower, I don't know since I spend most of my time in Cyrodill.

If all you want to do in Cyrodill is type x to join a random zeg and port back to the starting areas every 60 seconds then the change is no bueno for you. I was growing bored due to the 20 kills, go get myself killed, and port to turn in. For me, my oppinion only, now that I am in a group of 4-6 Cyrodill is even way more fun. Death was just a quick port back. Now, if we are deep in enemy territory and my group mates out of soul stones death is pretty harsh. Getting back to my friends can take a while If I even manage to make it back at all.

I would suggest look around in Cyrodill. Small group roaming will make you better and there is still XP and AP to get.

Edit - This was based off of yesterday and last night with the new change.

• AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083

Player kills and objective taking need to reward more experience. Keeps/objectives slightly, player kills by at least 5-10x what they are currently. You should encourage people to fight rather than encourage them to zerg 20 kills then suicide.

It's a step in the right direction, now other rewards are needed to compensate for the loss of exp.

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

• SmarnyPeteSmarnyPete Member Posts: 69

Public Dungeons I can get a blue every few minutes. Not sure how it's bad in PvP :P

I picked up blues in Cyrodill's public dungeons last night. Dungeons I probably wouldn't have found if still zerging for the 20 kill quest.

Originally posted by SmarnyPete

I picked up blues in Cyrodill's public dungeons last night. Dungeons I probably wouldn't have found if still zerging for the 20 kill quest.

Ahh, I was talking about PvE Dungeons. I have never checked out the Dungeons there. How is the Loot? Is it your level or level 50? How many others were there to make it worth it. You know if it's solo kind sucks but if there is 5-10 people it's more fun.

SNIP

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026

If you are doing this:

Repeating one quest over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again to grind xp in areas with completely different objectives by design.

... you should know full well a change in coming.

You stay sassy!

• ManasongManasong Member Posts: 208

I was actually being sarcastic. I had no clue there was a ton of quests outside the few you get at the hub. I don't PvP I only PvE you can even check the sticky post for my Let's Play Series. I do try it at level 10 but I'm all for it for PvE. So don't try to pin crap at me :P

I just think overall it's causing and has been causing a bit of a stink in game. More people now trying to find ways to power level rather enjoy the game just to go back to PvP. I guess being able to gain decent or even half decent EXP while going with the flow in PvP was a lot of fun for them. I don't see it being an issue.

For the love of god, dont try to be sarcastic if you are writing, if you absolutely must be, at least wirte *sarcasm*...

• ManasongManasong Member Posts: 208

Originally posted by Rhoklaw

Originally posted by hulgar
    The focus on pvp MUST always be objectives. Take and keep it..not kills. Place a system with lets say 10 or 20 respawns per player per 24 hrs to avoid mindless zergs and maybe you can beguin to have a good pvp system

Amazing how the best RvR system ever designed has never been copied, not even by the company who designed it. DAoC is and always will be the king of multi realm RvR and why no one uses that system exactly is friggin unbelievable.

Because it takes too long to get it, people would cry "*waah waah* I don't want to spend so much time getting those ranks, I want to play with people that are not overpowered", these days pvp is more about skills and even playing field than anything else.

Originally posted by SmarnyPete

Leveling in Cyrodill should be an option, but I think the change is a good thing. 1. It changed how I play in Cyrodill. I no longer just join a random zerg and then suicide after my 20 kills. I roam with my guild (instead of all of us just joining zergs) in much smaller groups and don't port back to the starting locations anymore. Besides at the end of my game time. Small group roaming around zeg fights is so much more fun.  2. Due to my group not just following a zerg all the time we have found quite a few quests in Cyrodill and a couple of public dungeons. Gained 2 skill points last night and good drops in those dungeons. Also had a couple fun ganks and been ganked in those dungeons too. 3. Finding and completing the quests scattered around Cyrodill has led to quite a few small group fighting. We spent a lot of our game time last night fighting at a few quest turn ins.

We are still getting levels (I gained almost 2), AP points, gear emailed to us, but are leveling on pace with PvE now.  Maybe slower, I don't know since I spend most of my time in Cyrodill.

If all you want to do in Cyrodill is type x to join a random zeg and port back to the starting areas every 60 seconds then the change is no bueno for you. I was growing bored due to the 20 kills, go get myself killed, and port to turn in. For me, my oppinion only, now that I am in a group of 4-6 Cyrodill is even way more fun. Death was just a quick port back. Now, if we are deep in enemy territory and my group mates out of soul stones death is pretty harsh. Getting back to my friends can take a while If I even manage to make it back at all.

I would suggest look around in Cyrodill. Small group roaming will make you better and there is still XP and AP to get.

Edit - This was based off of yesterday and last night with the new change.

This is what Zenimax wants us to do, instead of leveling in a system like GW2 where you level by killing and doing objectives, they want a more "WoW pvp server feeling", where you walk around doing quests always with an eye on your back because you can be ganked or gank someone at any moment. But I'm not sure how the speed of leveling in Cyrodiil that way is in comparison to PvE, gotta try it out, just need a better pointer on where there might be quests, not everyone seems to know you can quest in Cyrodiil.

But the rewards were being exploited, getting unbelievalby high AP for emperor before anyone else and just faming "teleport to the nearest battle, tag 20 players, suicide, get quests reward, repeat" is not a good pvp experience. They could have just nerfed the rewards or increased the number of players or how it counts as a "kill", I'm not really sure this why they did it that way, maybe they really, really want you to quest in Cyrodiil rather than just zerg all day.

PS: I'm just posting in here because the servers are down :(

I noticed a lot of Zenimax wants this comments. If they do please source it... If not don't say it. This whole thing I think was mainly to nerf the alliance points. The EXP was just something that also happen with it. Meaning it might actually be fixed later on.. But people keep claiming Zenimax vision and the next day their vision changes :P

SNIP

• LostarLostar Member UncommonPosts: 891
    I'd rather them do away with the currect quest line up (repeatable OR dailies) and just make typical PvP tasks give xp rewards at a reasonable rate that is somewhere on par with what you'd expect in PvE. Leave the dailies there but not as the only form to acquire xp in PvP but as a way of presenting a directive (that is relevant to the current situation and adjusts based on the current climate) for those who desire such.