Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

I love you ZOS, what a nightmare

DMKanoDMKano Gamercentral, AKPosts: 8,575Member Uncommon

So the game has been down for over 7 hours now, but that's not the worst of it.

Reading reports were players were gaining access to other players characters, that's just heartbreaking.

This is why the servers are still down - it's an absolute showstopper, this has to get sorted out.

I can't imagine the scrambling and work that's been going on by Zenimax staff these last 7 hours - ouch

I expect there will be a rollback, but only after they identify (and fix)  this security flaw (most likely on the platform side).

So my hat's off to zenimax guys and gals who've been working on this all night so that we have a fun and secure game to play.

Edit - ZOS response:

Last night a few North American users reported inventory-related issues with their character account, such as seeing additional inventory items appear, or seeing items that were not earned through gameplay. We've identified and fixed the problem, but the issue necessitated some downtime overnight for the North American megaserver. This problem has not manifested on the European server, so it continues to run as normal. The fix will be implemented as soon as all required pre-testing is complete this morning.

We were already planning to push a new game build to both servers this morning, and we will continue to work towards this. Stay tuned for complete patch note shortly. In addition to this aforementioned priority fix, we are also working quickly to restore our 'send in-game mail' functionality, some content blocking fixes that are preventing some users from finishing quests, and a few other tweaks. Our goal is to have all of these fixes initiated later this morning, eastern US time.

We will update this post as soon as we have an exact timeline for the service to be restored.

Link to ZOS responce here.

Comments

• MikeJezZMikeJezZ HillerødPosts: 1,197Member Uncommon

At least you know that you have access  to the game.

I still have the problem that I don't know if my account is still not allowed to play during release.

Playing ATM: Elder Scrolls Online, Diablo 3
    MMO's shelted: Check my mmorpg profile
    KICKSTARTED: Camelot Unchained. (250 USD)

• DignaDigna City, CTPosts: 2,014Member Uncommon

Assuming the reports are correct, we have no idea the extent of the issue. Could have been (if it was at all) isolated instances popping up and they are patching/fixing plugging before anything happens further.

Right now its speculation as to the what/why/how (and how bad) things might be/are.

• DSWBeefDSWBeef phoenix, AZPosts: 791Member
    Yep, I got the game but KNEW that EA was gonna have some kind of disastrous bug that I have barely stepped foot into the game. I honestly have no idea how they're gonna fix this. A wipe? Rollback? Selective rollbacks? its truly a unique and damaging bug.

Playing: War Thunder, World of Warcraft, and Grim Dawn
    Waiting on:Everquest Next and The Black Desert

• DMKanoDMKano Gamercentral, AKPosts: 8,575Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by MikeJezZ

At least you know that you have access  to the game.

I still have the problem that I don't know if my account is still not allowed to play during release.

I think your issue is related to the security issue of accessing the wrong account - as this is a platform problem.

The platform is what flags your account as having access to game, your bank, your characters etc... 

The platform is the central part of controlling what your user account has rights to access.

And that's what's busted apparently - and this is just a nightmare for a game company.

NOTE:

The platform being the cause is my speculation, it's my personal theory - it has not being formerly acknowledged by ZOS.

However the issue of players accessing characters on other people's accounts has been acknowledged by ZOS.

Originally posted by Digna

Assuming the reports are correct, we have no idea the extent of the issue. Could have been (if it was at all) isolated instances popping up and they are patching/fixing plugging before anything happens further.

Right now its speculation as to the what/why/how (and how bad) things might be/are.

It was acknowledged by a ZOS reddit person on reddit forums.

There are screenshots provided to ZOS to show players in game as different characters from other people's accounts.

The issue is 100% real.

• JudgeUKJudgeUK Posts: 847Member Uncommon

Can only agree.

MMO's have issues at launch, with log in issues, server wait times, authentication codes not working seemingly the norm. Some games better than others.

The issue of accessing another person's account on log in - well that's probably about as serious as it gets.

You can bet your account (or someone else's) that a multitude of gold spammers where repeatedly logging in and out just to see if they could get into other people's accounts.

• DaxamarDaxamar Green Cove Springs, FLPosts: 554Member

Loving the game so far! Good luck ZOS on getting the bugs.

I dont know what people expected out of a MMO launch frankly. So far its par for the course.

I have been at a few Launches in my time. They always have bugs and issues. Always.

I dont like the down time, but its all good. Still loving the game!

• AmjocoAmjoco Layton, UTPosts: 4,782Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by DMKano

Reading reports were players were gaining access to other players accounts, that's just heartbreaking.

This is why the servers are still down - it's an absolute showstopper, this has to get sorted out.

I can't imagine the scrambling and work that's been going on by Zenimax staff these last 7 hours - ouch

I expect there will be a rollback, but only after they identify (and fix)  this security flaw (most likely on the platform side).

So my hat's off to zenimax guys who've been working on this all night so that we have a fun and secure game to play.

Drama

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

Originally posted by Daxamar

I dont know what people expected out of a MMO launch frankly. So far its par for the course.

I have been at a few Launches in my time. They always have bugs and issues. Always.

Im sorry but if these reports are true, Being able to log into someones account using YOUR own acct info is pretty drastic and not your "run of the mill" launch issues.

Originally posted by Amjoco

Reading reports were players were gaining access to other players accounts, that's just heartbreaking.

So my hat's off to zenimax guys who've been working on this all night so that we have a fun and secure game to play.

Drama

Its not "drama" if I CAN LOG INTO SOMEONE ELSES ACCOUNT. Thats a SERIOUS issue. If you dont think so then thats just plain fan boyism. Also there have been plenty of reports of banks getting wiped, duping, ect ect. Its not drama if its this serious.

• goldnuggetsgoldnuggets north vancouver, BCPosts: 12Member
    Originally posted by DSWBeef

Drama

Its not "drama" if I CAN LOG INTO SOMEONE ELSES ACCOUNT. Thats a SERIOUS issue. If you dont think so then thats just plain fan boyism. Also there have been plenty of reports of banks getting wiped, duping, ect ect. Its not drama if its this serious.

i totally agree. personally i have had an issue where it says invalid account info FOR DAYS, even though it works on the wbesite. many others are also experiencing this.

• kabitoshinkabitoshin Posts: 758Member Uncommon

Im sorry but if these reports are true, Being able to log into someones account using YOUR own acct info is pretty drastic and not your "run of the mill" launch issues.

From my understanding it was players logging onto other players characters, not logging onto their actual accounts with all their info.

• paul43paul43 OsloPosts: 120Member Uncommon
    But why is the EU server ip if there is security problems? Seems weird, you would think the problem would be on EU servers too.
  • ErdaErda Posts: 150Member Uncommon

I wish them the best.  Very serious issues and I'm sure that players will not forget this for a long time.  Sadly, this will give the naysayers the validation they are waiting for.

I ran across several bugs (which I reported) as well.  I kept having my darned helm I made disappear from my inventory.  First time I thought it was idiot me deconstructing something by mistake.  Then it happened a second time.   Thankfully I never had the bug that logged me on to someone else's account.  Hopefully I won't return to an empty inventory.

Another thing that got me wondering were loot drops in some of the small dungeons.  Some of the regular mobs were dropping a huge amount of goodies---soul gems, 20g, two or three green items, etc.  This was in a level 7/8 area--where you go for the Mage Guild quest.   One trash mob dropped six items for me.  I must of run into 30 players all standing around the middle farming or running around killing trash mobs while I was doing my quest.  I admittedly ran around for 15 minutes or so...my inventory filled to the brim with items.   Is this working as intended?   I did submit feedback but the loot there just seems out of wack for the difficulty of the place and the loot drops in other places.  I saw similar farming crowds in other small dungeon (can't remember the name but just one I found wandering around).

Originally posted by kabitoshin

From my understanding it was players logging onto other players characters, not logging onto their actual accounts with all their info.

This is correct the players are logging in and getting access to another players character.

The empty bank or bank with items different than yours is the variation of the same issue - you log in with your charactet but are accessing another characters bank (which might be empty thus appearing like you are missing items).

• goldnuggetsgoldnuggets north vancouver, BCPosts: 12Member
    Originally posted by Dewguy79
    Originally posted by goldnuggets

Drama

i totally agree. personally i have had an issue where it says invalid account info FOR DAYS, even though it works on the wbesite. many others are also experiencing this.

FOR DAYS?? So his many is that exactly one or two?  Maybe you went on their forum and broke rules and have been banned for a FEW DAYS! your history on here shows that is not out of the realm of possibilities.  

i could only access around the first couple days.  it wouldnt surprise me if i was banned with the fact that others can access anyone's account and say or do whatever they want.

Do you have a checklist or guideline for launch issue problems we could look at? An issue is an issue imho. It will be fixed and forgotten, just as GW2 had issues with logging in, and so many other title releases had problems and fixed. 

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• Dren_UtogiDren_Utogi OuterSpacePosts: 1,714Member Uncommon

I think they are going deeper then that and looking into how someone got to max level in under 20 hours. I also wouldn't be suprised if all the 50's got perma banned.

reviews are !@#$ing stupid. Play what you love.

• DwarfZZZDwarfZZZ MadridPosts: 198Member Uncommon

No problem at all since I first accessed to the game last Sunday. It has been running smooth for me, really.

I had more troubles at  GW2 or FFXIV ARR launch.

My FFXIV ARR referral code for new EU accounts: UYXTV3K3

• LordZeikLordZeik mushu pork, NJPosts: 269Member Uncommon
    I thought this game was going to break a trend and have a smooth launch or rather pre-launch. These megaservers are nice , but they seem to get worn down quickly on certain in game events/quests being done over and over. I'm just hoping that they get this all sorted out before the 4th when the major floodgate finally opens. Zenimax employees are going to be lacking sleep for the next couple of days at this rate.
  • aesperusaesperus Hamshire, NVPosts: 5,128Member Uncommon

Ouch. That does indeed sound like quite the nightmare. I had no idea this was the reason.

Originally posted by goldnuggets
    i could only access around the first couple days.  it wouldnt surprise me if i was banned with the fact that others can access anyone's account and say or do whatever they want.

If one of those scummy gold sellers managed to log in on another players character, the wrong account would get banned.

yes this would explain why people have been getting banned for gold spam when they weren't even online playing.

What a mess.

• IkedaIkeda Largo, FLPosts: 2,205Member Uncommon

Is this the reason for those weird random yellow text shout outs last night by "mods"?  A bunch of which were coding gibberish?

Too bad, I was hoping to play this morning.... :-(

SWTOR: F2P or Premium? Want Galactic Strongholds early? http://www.swtor.com/r/LbMdN7 Use the referral for 7 days of subscriber access. Unlock your GS today!

• baphametbaphamet omaha, NEPosts: 2,838Member Uncommon

this is really unfortunate, hopefully it gets fixed soon.

Originally posted by LordZeik
    I thought this game was going to break a trend and have a smooth launch or rather pre-launch. These megaservers are nice , but they seem to get worn down quickly on certain in game events/quests being done over and over. I'm just hoping that they get this all sorted out before the 4th when the major floodgate finally opens. Zenimax employees are going to be lacking sleep for the next couple of days at this rate.

These guys worked hard for months and they are stoked to get a product out and working right.  In most cases a studio worker like them aren't your normal employee at a McDonalds or Walmart, they do this because they love gaming and the industry. I'm sure there is a huge amount of pride in what they do and they want to fix the problems asap. Not only do they get it fixed for the customers, but they get to join in as well! Sleep will come later. :)