Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Modded Skyrim killed TESO for me

mindw0rkmindw0rk Member UncommonPosts: 1,356

I tried TESO in beta. And while I think its a decent MMO with some strong points, I just couldnt enjoy it. The reason is my heavily modded Skyrim (about 400 mods). Every time I logged into TESO, I compared it to Skyrim and TESO looked so primitive, ugly and boring in comparison. And you cant help but compare those.

Anyone else been spoiled by Skyrim?

Comments

• brihtwulfbrihtwulf Member UncommonPosts: 975

I would agree with that, somewhat.  Once you mod up Skyrim a bit, it seems to shine more than what ESO offers.  I also have to say that one of the main reasons I'm not going to buy/play ESO is that it shares a lot in common with Skyrim (of course), but requiring a subscription that charges the price of a full game every 4 months didn't make sense to me here.  Skyrim doesn't do that much to make it a "group-oriented" game, and even has some mechanics that discourage it.

So, I'm doubting I'll get the equivalent of an entire $60 RPG every 4 months from the subscription I'd have to pay.  If it was buy-to-play, like Guild Wars 2 or Defiance, I would have most likely given it more of a chance.

• MaelzraelMaelzrael Member UncommonPosts: 405
    Yes. I've been playing modded skyrim for just a month or so now, and I cannot get into Teso as a result. Modded skyrim is so f*ing good that almost no other game in existence can pull me away from it, especially Teso which isn't even as good as Vanilla Skyrim imho. Though I'm not sure it's meant to be, being an Mmo and all. 

• PrecusorPrecusor Member UncommonPosts: 3,589

Skyrim is a single player game..

so no.

• raiders95raiders95 Member Posts: 19

Well, you just explained the reason of your problem and there is no solution for you...

It's an mmo; Dev have to manage more parameters than any other "none online game".

When you play Skyrim you're alone with your PC and nothing else... In ESO, Dev have to ensure that the game is "playable" + manage instance action/reaction of several people on any given area etc.

You cannot compare ESO and Skyrim for those reasons.

That being said, ESO is far from ugly, I don't agree with you, I love the details and colors of the country etc.

• calibekcalibek Member UncommonPosts: 300
    I played Skyrim on 360 so I never had mine modded. I just have this viewpoint that if you have to mod a game so extensively (400?) then it changes from what it was meant to be to something else entirely.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

I really don't see a point in such comparisons, I can play modded or mod skyrim whenever I feel like it, ESO isn't the same experience it's something else entirely, with lore that I am a fan of. SO I really don't see why I shouldn't just enjoy them both for what they are. That being different experiences, with familiar undertones.

Both games have strengths and weaknesses.  They share very few of them.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• TedgerTedger Member Posts: 20

Yeah... I dont see why they even should be mutually exclusive.

I can play skyrim and mod it to what ever I like... player houses, new quests.. boobs. 

If I feel like hanging with other ppl or just explore, then I can play ESO. 

I dont know how much they have modded Skyrims crafting system.. but its bore compared to ESO.

I enjoy both games immensly.

• KnotwoodKnotwood Member CommonPosts: 1,103
    Originally posted by mindw0rk

I tried TESO in beta. And while I think its a decent MMO with some strong points, I just couldnt enjoy it. The reason is my heavily modded Skyrim (about 400 mods). Every time I logged into TESO, I compared it to Skyrim and TESO looked so primitive, ugly and boring in comparison. And you cant help but compare those.

Anyone else been spoiled by Skyrim?

You must have played in Ebonheart Pact,  the Aldemeri Dominion and the Daggerfall Covenant are 80% better then EP.  I told them they should update the EP areas, but they dint listen..

Try this now, as a skyrim fan,  play AD and DC,  then come back to this thread and tell me what you thought.  I liked AD and DF just like a skyrim with upgraded texture packs from STEAM and few other environmental mods.

I keep sying, never try to play skyrim areas in TESO they are horrible, AD and DF are better then skyrim!

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    IMO a modded Skyrim wipes the floor with ESO any day. With that said, ESO is an mmo and that is enough reason to play it. If the Skyrim modding community finally finish the online mod that has been WIP for so long (not sure if they stopped it or what) then i wouldnt have a need for ESO.

• JimmydeanJimmydean Member UncommonPosts: 1,290
    Originally posted by Precusor

Skyrim is a single player game..

so no.

So is TESO. The main differences between Skyrim and TESO are that you have to pay monthly for TESO, and Skyrim is a better made game.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Originally posted by calibek
    I played Skyrim on 360 so I never had mine modded. I just have this viewpoint that if you have to mod a game so extensively (400?) then it changes from what it was meant to be to something else entirely.

you beat the entire game without mods and have a great experience. Then you mod it and have a totally different experience. Thats the beauty of modding, plus it keeps the game alive for many many many years thanks to the modding community creating different content, storylines, etc, etc for the game.

• himodshimods Member Posts: 54
    Any vanilla TES game is better than TESO, use mods and you get a game that makes TESO look lile one of those shitty Facebook games. Only thing TESO has over TES series is a chatbox, that you have to pay 15/month. And a crappy pvp system.
  • adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148

Usually mods are crap.  But while we are comparing two completely different games, Skyrim without mods is better than almost every other game ever made, including TESO of course.

But that doesn't mean I'm going to spend the rest of my life just playing skyrim.   Doesn't make sense does it?

• Sk1ppeRSk1ppeR Member Posts: 511
    Shhh don't tell that to game corporations. This way they'll fix their error and will blurp shitty overhyped games on a daily basis and shove you the corresponding MMOs every other year with 15/mo. subscription. Shovelware rules! 
  • shassshass Member UncommonPosts: 107
    My son bought me Skyrim for Christmas and modded it. Absolutely awesome game. Looks brilliant and is so addictive to play. Being an old fart I remember pong ect, and so I even get a chuckle watching an NPC eating his lunch in a tavern and enjoy standing at the side of a waterfall and hearing the thundering of the falling water (waterfall sound mod). But I did try the ESO beta and will be playing in a couple of hours when the 3 day early access starts. For those of us who eagerly awaited the release of Everquest, with the human ouch! when you hit a snake, and NPC's consisting of just a head, then ESO is a work of art. Modern gaming is just an awesome achievement, so a round of applause for the devs at Zenimax and the industry in general.
  • DeniZgDeniZg Member UncommonPosts: 697
    Honestly, I think that Skywind project will kill TESO for a lot of people. Not to mention the upcoming Oblivion conversion. 
  • MurmelixMurmelix Member UncommonPosts: 53

He is not comparing the game, only the visual appearance. And i'm totally with him.

big thx to all those modders, they do a great work