Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] ArcheAge: This Week's AA News Round Up

2»

Comments

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646
    Originally posted by rawfox

AA is teh savior.

No instances !

The world is free of borders, you can go from the very east to the very west without zoning a single time.

Im playing since some weeks in russia and i totally have a blast, even with the f2p restrictions.

Cant wait for Trion to post me some code :p

Shh... from what I read people are still supporting games with fixed boundary zones....

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• rawfoxrawfox Member UncommonPosts: 788
    Originally posted by Karteli
    Originally posted by rawfox

AA is teh savior.

No instances !

The world is free of borders, you can go from the very east to the very west without zoning a single time.

Im playing since some weeks in russia and i totally have a blast, even with the f2p restrictions.

Cant wait for Trion to post me some code :p

Shh... from what I read people are still supporting games with fixed boundary zones....

OMG, lol

oh gawd oh gawd oh gawd lol

but ... yeah man ...

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

armored dogs in ArcheAge? pfff Call of Duty clone!

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

The one thing that irked me was the idea of a zone for the castles that you had to pvp to get.That meant ONLY the super large guilds will get those.I am playing FFXIV and their housing restriction to ridiculous costs also irked me,it is like we have this content for you but you really can't have it.

Also wondering is if the sub fee mentioned in Japan holds true here and if so do you actually get ALL the content with a sub fee or is it lame like SOE and you still have to use cash shop because that would make me run very fast the other way,i hate lame money gimmicks.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• lolpotatoslolpotatos Member Posts: 2
    Originally posted by Holyfleadip
    Originally posted by Eir_S
    I'm going to give it a try because it's f2p, but otherwise my interest in the game has waned and I wouldn't have paid money for this by seeing videos.  It looks ok and the way they're handling the payment model is pretty awesome.

I've stopped buying or even playing f2p by watching videos.  I always watch twitch.tv. 

If it's not good enough to have a channel, then forget it. 

If I watch there and I don't like it, then forget it.

The game will be what it will be.... stopped caring years ago.  Seems like the rest of the world was the pref client base.  F'em all... we'll have EQN finished and AA will pass like bad gas.

People still care about EQN? lol.

• DengarDengar Member UncommonPosts: 34
    I just don't get the point of MMORPG.com's recent "reveal" diaries. Most of the new info should just be a stub ("beta coming soon" "Q&A transcript here" etc). "Reveals" about systems and stuff that have been live since 2012's beta really make me feel like this site kind of ignored the game and fan community until... I dunno, maybe Trion suddenly started courting them for more PR. Other MMO sites, large and small, had this info almost a year ago, and seeing it deposited here as "new" just feels like trying to watch the nightly news after spending most of the day on news websites.
  • rawfoxrawfox Member UncommonPosts: 788
    Originally posted by Dengar
    I just don't get the point of MMORPG.com's recent "reveal" diaries. Most of the new info should just be a stub ("beta coming soon" "Q&A transcript here" etc). "Reveals" about systems and stuff that have been live since 2012's beta really make me feel like this site kind of ignored the game and fan community until... I dunno, maybe Trion suddenly started courting them for more PR. Other MMO sites, large and small, had this info almost a year ago, and seeing it deposited here as "new" just feels like trying to watch the nightly news after spending most of the day on news websites.

Trion is really getting their turf together, maybe you know, its XLGames on the rudder.

That said, its getting hot for EU/NA start rather sooner then later now.

People from the community already getting alpha invites for the western version of ArcheAge.

The info's relay to the very recent changes at Trion with the game, the westernization and their staff. Also we have official forums now. Thats all really new developments.

Western release is set in stone for 2014.

• wnxsnowtigerwnxsnowtiger Member CommonPosts: 13

People from the community already getting alpha invites for the western version of ArcheAge.

far as i know they only got invites due to winning them on a live stream and the question and answers contest .  other then that they an't getting them yet.

• Snakester95Snakester95 Member UncommonPosts: 47
    Originally posted by Dengar

I'm the one who has been doing the weekly column as of a month or so ago and don't worry I'm not getting paid off or something to write more articles on ArcheAge. I won't deny that some of the information isn't new as Trion is bringing a game that's already released to another region. It's not quite the same as following a game as it's developed without a doubt.

But when writing up each column post I tend to look around the community and ArcheAge side for what's going on in every region. As I mentioned in the article, Japan is switching to free to play for example. That's new information, granted it may not apply to you if you're not playing on the Japanese version obviously. Anything I've mentioned in my column is generally new/recent news for every region including the westernization.

Unfortunately with GDC just having occurred I didn't have nearly as much to discuss or inform you guys about in this article as the other guys threw together what info they got from GDC. Granted, when you're showing off a game that's already launched as I mentioned, you are going to be repeating yourself to an extent. The big thing is just to see that progress is being made on the westernization.

When we know about a beta, a release date, etc. you'll all know. But we don't, so hang on.

Where there's a game, there's a player, I'm that player.

• TbauTbau Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 401

Trion missed the boat, doubly so with their plans to turn Glyph into a Steam like app. I already jumped on board the Japanese version a few weeks ago. I will stick to the monthly sub version to avoid the changes made by the cash shop in other regions and to avoid Trions advertisements of other companies games.

Double win for me.

• KeksXKeksX Member UncommonPosts: 47
    Originally posted by xpiher

The Asian market likes the 1.0 patch, the "western" market does not. Do not expect the full 1.0 patch to hit the western market as Russia is not using it.

BTW, the 1.0 patch doesn't turn it into a themepark, it just makes grinding dailies the most effective way to do things because of the limitation on labor points unless you spend money to surpass the labor point cap. Asia loves these type of cash shop items, they don't see it as p2w and they also love grinding for the sense of accomplishment.  

The asian market likes the 1.0 patch? They definitely DO NOT.

ArcheAge is currently #34 on the gamenote ranking, only #3 ranks away from their all-time low that was achieved after 1.0 is introduced. It recovered to #31, then went back down to #34 again.

This game was at least holding itself somewhat stable at around #22 before 1.0, with the initial drop to #22 happeningn due to missing updates and Jake Song leaving the team.

Please stop spreading this misinformation. NOBODY likes 1.0!

• CrimsonDragonCrimsonDragon Member UncommonPosts: 7
    When you can level to max solely from being just a fisherman.... I'd say this game has sandbox down to a science. Sure, patch 1.0 made it a little more theme parkish than we would've liked, but that's only if you choose to level with quests only. There's a lot more to this than just that. =)
  • dark3xddark3xd Member Posts: 13

As someone who has played both the Korean and Russian versions I can tell you that I'm just as hyped for the Western release. In a day and age where everyone seems to want a soloable MMO, Archeage really tries hard to ignore that and rewards those who work together. Big assets such as mansions, galleons, trade ships are obtainable solo but it's an absolute chore. A good guild and common goals are definitely advised.

I've quit other MMO's to spend more time on AA (goodbye EVE) and even without the English translation patch I find myself logging in and enjoying the game.

A lot of games throw "Sandbox" around but Archeage really is a sandbox masterpiece. There's no other game out there currently that offers the amount of content Archeage does. In most games you rush to max level so you can take part in end game content, with Archeage I don't feel the need to rush. I take my time and do everything the game has to offer.

So what does my day usually consist of in a sandbox world? Well every day is different, days in Archeage are very fluid. Sometimes you login and your guild friends are hunting enemy players so you join them for some good old pvp. Sometimes you login and tend to your farm, whilst you are doing that a shout goes out for a trade run, you grab your trusty pack donkey, grab a trade pack off your farm, head down to the coast to join in.Sometimes you might want to do a spot of fishing or treasure hunting and other days you might just want to run your quests and play the auction house. 

One of my favourite activities is hunting down traders on the open sea and reaping the rewards of their hard labour. Another favourite which always catches the newbros off guard is using the speed boat harpoon to pull your ship to the sea bed and then releasing it to do a 100ft somersault out of the water.

If you've been a naughty boy/girl you may find yourself in prison, stripped semi naked and following a fellow prisoner around the cell whilst cutting some awesome shapes. Did I mention the dancing mechanics in this game are fantastic? Whilst in prison you can attempt escape, play a spot of footy in the yard or go and make a brew whilst you wait for your timer to end.

There's always something to do and the above hasn't even scratched the surface on the possibilities.

I'm a pvper at heart but I often find myself engrossed in other aspects of the game and totally forget about the pvp until I'm sent 15ft into the air by a conjurer's bubble. When I first started Archeage I spoke to a player who told me that it wasn't possible to level in the pvp areas due to getting killed over and over by level 50's. I thought it was bullshit and I was right. You are not as helpless as you may think. Here's a little story about my first trip to the pvp area.

I hit level 30 and entered the Falling Stars peninsula. After grabbing all of the quests that I could find I left the town and ran down the hill to kill a few mobs. All was going well for 15 minutes until a level 50 Ferre archer appeared, fast as lightning he started cutting down other players as I watched him, weak and helpless against this level 50 monster of pvp. I was next on the list, my hp starts to drop and I have more debuffs and detrimental effects on me than the local prostitute. Suddenly my HP is replenished and our assailant takes a shield bash to the face, two level 34 Russians have decided to stand tall against this brute. I give them a helping hand and we send the Ferre archer to the priest. I thank my Russian bros for saving me, they talk some gibberish in Cyrillic and set off on their valiant steeds.

In Archeage it is entirely possible to take on higher level players than yourself, you may sometimes need a friend to kill them but, they aren't the machines of death and destruction that we are used to in other games. I have been killed by plenty of lower level players that have out smarted me.

I could blab on forever about the different features but you may as well just play the game for yourselves, I really hope Trion hasn't missed the boat on this one and can't wait for the EU servers to launch.

• dark3xddark3xd Member Posts: 13
    Originally posted by CrimsonDragon
    When you can level to max solely from being just a fisherman.... I'd say this game has sandbox down to a science. Sure, patch 1.0 made it a little more theme parkish than we would've liked, but that's only if you choose to level with quests only. There's a lot more to this than just that. =)

Haha yes! Those earthworms, best exp in game.

• chiefarchonchiefarchon Member UncommonPosts: 25

afraid I waited too long for this one to get its act in order, other games have taken my attention now such as Everquest Landmark. 

But I wish it well, when it eventually gets released.