Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Todd Howard praises "passion and dedication" of Zenimax Online as Elder Scrolls hits third decade

NagilumSadowNagilumSadow Member UncommonPosts: 318

An interesting, short article:

"In their first 10 years making the Elder Scrolls series, Bethesda built a name for themselves - and in the 10 since, a major publisher has grown around them. But all the while, a central team has quietly assembled intricate webs of systems and clifftop panoramas.

Like their flagship series, Todd Howard has been at Bethesda for two decades now. Looking back, he’s proud of the fact that the team have “always started over” when approaching a new Elder Scrolls game - and is pleased sister studio Zenimax have done the same for The Elder Scrolls Online." [...]

<Clicky>

Comments

• M0rbidM0rbid Member Posts: 60

So a head honcho at Bethesda says "Bethesda and Zenimax are great"....and this is newsworthy how?

If the team start over with every ES game how come so many of the ES games have you start out in a prison cell / otherwise captive as a prisoner who escapes during the intro cut scene?

That sounds like recycling old ideas more than starting over...

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by M0rbid

So a head honcho at Bethesda says "Bethesda and Zenimax are great"....and this is newsworthy how?

If the team start over with every ES game how come so many of the ES games have you start out in a prison cell / otherwise captive as a prisoner who escapes during the intro cut scene?

It's fairly obvious what he meant, from Morrowind to SKyrim the series has changed each time in terms of gameplay approach, theme as well as character building.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• NagilumSadowNagilumSadow Member UncommonPosts: 318

I never said it was news worthy; however, for some,  people that know ES well, respect Todd Howard and would find this interesting.

Simply put, Todd had been so critical of making the Elder Scrolls series an mmorpg in the past...

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591

I remember the first Bethesda game I ever played was "The Terminator"

Those were the days ;)

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• CazNeergCazNeerg Member Posts: 2,198
    Originally posted by Distopia

It's fairly obvious what he meant, from Morrowind to SKyrim the series has changed each time in terms of gameplay approach, theme as well as character building.

Actually, it's changed each time since Arena.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
    Through passion, I gain strength.
    Through strength, I gain power.
    Through power, I gain victory.
    Through victory, my chains are broken.
    The Force shall free me.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by CazNeerg
    Originally posted by Distopia

Actually, it's changed each time since Arena.

Didn't really play either of the first two installments nor the off shoots Battlespire or Redguard.. Was just speaking of what I know :P

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Originally posted by laserit

Those were the days ;)

First Bethesda game I ever played was "Wayne Gretzky Hockey" in 1988 on my Atari ST... beat that! image

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

Originally posted by Iselin

Those were the days ;)

First Bethesda game I ever played was "Wayne Gretzky Hockey" in 1988 on my Atari ST... beat that! image

I loved that one too. Forgot it was even made by Bethesda.

Wayne Gretzky Hockey 1 kicked ass over 2

Amiga FTW image

Those were the days ;)

Amiga FTW image

Figures... you're a Canuck too... in that case, I'll forgive your choice of Amiga :)

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• mmoguy43mmoguy43 Member UncommonPosts: 2,770
    Originally posted by NagilumSadow

I never said it was news worthy; however, for some,  people that know ES well, respect Todd Howard and would find this interesting.

Simply put, Todd had been so critical of making the Elder Scrolls series an mmorpg in the past...

Todd could still be thinking that he wouldn't want to make a TES MMO but since the IP doesn't just belong to him he has no choice but to support ESO like any respectable developer would.

Those were the days ;)

Amiga FTW image

Figures... you're a Canuck too... in that case, I'll forgive your choice of Amiga :)

The good old days of either shopping at "Super Software" out in Richmond or taking a drive down to Seattle to go software shopping ;)

Bethesda always made great games, that were innovative for their day

• Moar61Moar61 Member UncommonPosts: 260

Happy 20 years Elder Scrolls.

Regardless if you like ESO or not, it's cool to see the series come so far, from arena to morrowind and now this. Todd has been relatively quiet about ESO too, must be working on Fallout image

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    Originally posted by NagilumSadow

If it was up to him they probably still wouldn't have made it into a mmorpg.  Elder Scrolls is his baby and rightly so (owned by Bethesda of course).   Luckily he has free reign to make Elder Scrolls in his vision and wasn't forced over to work with ZOS to compromise this vision of the series that put Bethesda on the map in the first place.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• KnotwoodKnotwood Member CommonPosts: 1,103

Did we really need Todd Howard's blessing to really know its a Elder Scrolls game?   I definitely did not.  I know its a true Elder Scrolls game.   If you need to be told its a true Elder Scrolls game by someone whos worked on them for over a decade, then you must really question if you were a Elder Scrolls fan or not.

• MaquiameMaquiame Member UncommonPosts: 1,073
    Shut up Todd

Any mmo worth its salt should be like a good prostitute when it comes to its game world- One hell of a faker, and a damn good shaker!

Todd Howard probably watched the fight between people screaming its not Bethesda making it, so it must not be Elder Scrolls.    In the end Todd Howard got fed up with it and decided to speak his feelings out about it and put those people who say it wasn't a Elder Scrolls game in their place, at the bottom of the forums.   

Thank you Todd Howard for Officially saying those people that are long time Elder Scroll fans who love ESO are right.  Siding with us that this is a Elder Scrolls game even if it is made by sister company Zenimax.  

Todd Howard +1

Now maybe the Zenimax and Elder Scrolls haters will be silenced... for good on this issue.

• Swids2010Swids2010 Member Posts: 244
    That's funny because didn't one Bethesda team say recently that he wanted to make it clear that they had nothing to do with development of this game and it wasn't what they had envisioned eso being.

Originally posted by Swids2010
    That's funny because didn't one Bethesda team say recently that he wanted to make it clear that they had nothing to do with development of this game and it wasn't what they had envisioned eso being.

Link to your rumor?

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• BigdaddyxBigdaddyx Member UncommonPosts: 2,039
    Originally posted by Maquiame
    Shut up Todd

Originally posted by Bigdaddyx
    Shut up Todd

Such respect for an Elder Scrolls Creator, I don't think a single person should take your word in this forum ever again as an authority on Elder Scrolls games.   Its sad to see when people have no respect for institutions and people who helped create so much fun in the world for millions of Eder Scrolls fans.

• BigdaddyxBigdaddyx Member UncommonPosts: 2,039
    Originally posted by Knotwood
    Originally posted by Bigdaddyx
    Shut up Todd

Such respect for an Elder Scrolls Creator, I don't think a single person should take your word in this forum ever again as an authority on Elder Scrolls games.   Its sad to see when people have no respect for institutions and people who helped create so much fun in the world for millions of Eder Scrolls fans.

Pipe down...  i think you quoted the wrong guy.

• superconductingsuperconducting Member UncommonPosts: 871

Have you guys ever heard this guy talk?

watch this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7awkYKbKHik

The man's a boy genius in my eyes.

Originally posted by superconducting

People who just don't get TESO should watch this video you linked. 100% correct about all Elder Scrolls games including TESO.

• R.LimaR.Lima Member UncommonPosts: 135
    Originally posted by superconducting

Absolutely amazing video. Thanks for the link.