Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dragon Knight and medium armor

ThodraThodra Member UncommonPosts: 444
Hey there everyone.
I like the sound of the Dragon Knight, but I also like medium armor. Do you think there will be any viable builds that allows the Dragon Knight to use medium armor?

Comments

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Since all game is about magic and mana, there is not much point in anything but light armor...

• keenberkeenber Member UncommonPosts: 438
    If you think the game is just about magic and magica then i can only guess you have never played the game.
  • RhinoNZRhinoNZ Member Posts: 21
    Most of his posts are in Archage so we know what team he bats for.

Originally posted by keenber

If you think the game is just about magic and magica then i can only guess you have never played the game.

Since the ultility abilities are % based, good luck with your stamina build.

Not to say weapons lock you into 1 skill line(no ultimate) isntead of having an option of the 3 spell lines...yeah...

Originally posted by RhinoNZ

I would prefer ESO over ArcheAge any time. Your point...?

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135
    Originally posted by Thodra
    Hey there everyone. I like the sound of the Dragon Knight, but I also like medium armor. Do you think there will be any viable builds that allows the Dragon Knight to use medium armor?

Medium armor is actually one of the better armor sets currently. This is because it both has some of the best offensive passives when it comes to melee, but also because the game caps your defenses, and it's currently VERY easy to hit armor cap, even with minimal-no actives that boost it.

Heavy armor is currently the least useful of the 3 armor types, as you hit armor cap stupid easy, which negates part of the passives. Furthermore the dmg passives it gives are currently subpar compares to medium.

The guy saying that light armor is the only way to go is incorrect. It is also a good armor choice, but for a very different build type. A lot of people prefer light because they like having more stamina for dodging / CC break / blocking, but it's hardly the 'only' way to build your character.

Tbh, Currently most people are mixing armor types. Going with a 5-2 split or something similar. If there's 1 universal truth to this game, it's that it wants you to hybridize. Overly specialized builds tend to get punished, whereas builds that capitalize on multiple resource pools tend to thrive. Keep that inmind while building your character. I've seen strong stamina based builds, and strong magicka based ones. However, both build types encorperated abilities that used stamina, magicka, and ultimate to be effective. And all had some points invested into resource management (either regen, leeching abilities, or extra resource gain on hit).

• RhinoNZRhinoNZ Member Posts: 21
    Originally posted by Gdemami

Originally posted by RhinoNZ

I would prefer ESO over ArcheAge any time. Your point...?

Got Troll there then. He asked a nice polite question & you came out all claws & negative for no good reason.

Onto Your question Thodra

Threw this together quick for a starter in the early levels. I am not a master builder & its untested but its somethign I would try if i was to go the Med Armor line. You can pick whatever race you prefer I just picked Dark Elf for the Racials.

Focus is around Med armor (that you like) Duel Wield, increase crit & a small amount of DoT & AOE damage as well.

http://esocalc.com/#1-8a0700000000:18:24:17:1156:224:18:214:33:28:145:14:1103:31:162:14-281:19:277:447:451:8:0:0:0:0:0:0

Cant test it obviously & my game time with Med Armor is limited. I played exclusively DK in the betas but it was either a Tank Heavy Armor Build or a Light armor AOE build. 

Can use this tou build/test on if you like.

Enjoy mate

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

Originally posted by keenber

Since the ultility abilities are % based, good luck with your stamina build.

Not to say weapons lock you into 1 skill line(no ultimate) isntead of having an option of the 3 spell lines...yeah...

Things you're overlooking:

1) Stamina builds also boost your skill damage with weapons significantly.

2) While the costs are %age based, this gets countered by resource management skills and passives by quite a bit.

3) Stamina based builds don't lock you into 1 skill line, because there are more than just the weapon skills that use stamina.

4) Stamina based builds gain a larger advantage from auto attacks than magicka based ones do. Which might not seem all that important, but it actually does make a big difference. Not only can you get your AAs hitting very hard, but the on-hit procs you can get in addition to this can get insane.

- All that aside, why are you even posting in the Elder Scrolls forums if you're clearly interested in another game? You're obviously not here to help ES fans, you're just lurking. I know the AA forums aren't super exciting right now, but I can only imagine they will be once the NA release gets further in, a few months from now.

Originally posted by aesperus

The guy saying that light armor is the only way to go is incorrect. It is also a good armor choice, but for a very different build type. A lot of people prefer light because they like having more stamina for dodging / CC break / blocking, but it's hardly the 'only' way to build your character.

Do not say someone is incorrect when you do not understand the matter.

It does not matter how much stamina you have, you pull your CC break and 50% of your max stamina is gone, you try to dodge, 30% of your stamina is gone, etc.

Stamina builds are not sustainable nor they provide any advantage, in fact they provide less options, less potential.

Yes, people do mix armor types, once their magica/mana soft caps are hit...

Things you're overlooking:1) Stamina builds also boost your skill damage with weapons significantly.2) While the costs are %age based, this gets countered by resource management skills and passives by quite a bit.3) Stamina based builds don't lock you into 1 skill line, because there are more than just the weapon skills that use stamina.4) Stamina based builds gain a larger advantage from auto attacks than magicka based ones do. Which might not seem all that important, but it actually does make a big difference. Not only can you get your AAs hitting very hard, but the on-hit procs you can get in addition to this can get insane.- All that aside, why are you even posting in the Elder Scrolls forums if you're clearly interested in another game? You're obviously not here to help ES fans, you're just lurking. I know the AA forums aren't super exciting right now, but I can only imagine they will be once the NA release gets further in, a few months from now.

All above I applies to magica as well and yet I will have full stamina pool avaiable for sprint, dodge, cc, w/e.

Stamina is used by weapons pretty much exclusively. There is some skill here and there but those aren't really going to contribute into your build options.

No help? Well, the OP can go with HP+magica enhancements like anyone does due resons above or the he can go with you inept theorycrafting...

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Originally posted by Thodra
    Hey there everyone. I like the sound of the Dragon Knight, but I also like medium armor. Do you think there will be any viable builds that allows the Dragon Knight to use medium armor?

I am pretty sure you can have some very viable medium armor builds ...  And as soon as they have the basic ballancing set up, everything is possible...

you can have various stats on your armor, to repair the weaks spots of a build....

but keep in mind that every class needs some health and magica too ( aswell as Stamina).  So you might have to invest some more points intoo magica if you plan to go for a medium armor buikd and still want to use your magica abilities efficient.

but you need to start making up your mind, because there is only 122 hours left till early acces.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• FusionFusion Member UncommonPosts: 1,398

2) While the costs are %age based, this gets countered by resource management skills and passives by quite a bit.

3) Stamina based builds don't lock you into 1 skill line, because there are more than just the weapon skills that use stamina.

4) Stamina based builds gain a larger advantage from auto attacks than magicka based ones do. Which might not seem all that important, but it actually does make a big difference. Not only can you get your AAs hitting very hard, but the on-hit procs you can get in addition to this can get insane.

- All that aside, why are you even posting in the Elder Scrolls forums if you're clearly interested in another game? You're obviously not here to help ES fans, you're just lurking. I know the AA forums aren't super exciting right now, but I can only imagine they will be once the NA release gets further in, a few months from now.

All above I applies to magica as well and yet I will have full stamina pool avaiable for sprint, dodge, cc, w/e.

Stamina is used by weapons pretty much exclusively. There is some skill here and there but those aren't really going to contribute into your build options.

No help? Well, the OP can go with HP+magica enhancements like anyone does due resons above or the he can go with you inept theorycrafting...

ALL weapon categories get their base ability damage from weapon damage, which is calculated by STAMINA and the weapons actual damage, this includes STAVES.

http://neocron-game.com/ - now totally F2P no cash-shops or micro transactions at all.

Originally posted by Fusion

ALL weapon categories get their damage from weapon damage, which is calculated by STAMINA and the weapons actual damage, this includes STAVES.Only "build" that would do with 'pure' magicka, is if you only fill your hotbar with CLASS abilities/spells.

I was talking about resource management, staves use magica.

The point is, if you invest into magica, autoattacks do not concern you.

• watchawatchawatchawatcha Member Posts: 960

ALL weapon categories get their damage from weapon damage, which is calculated by STAMINA and the weapons actual damage, this includes STAVES.

Only "build" that would do with 'pure' magicka, is if you only fill your hotbar with CLASS abilities/spells.

Dude.  You're wrong.  The game isn't designed for you to just spam your abilities.  You should also be using your light attack and heavy attack.  There are no auto-attacks in ESO.

Also, Heavy Armor has another purpose that people above are forgetting or missing.  The more Heavy Armor you have the greater the threat.  So for tanks it's useful.

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,742
    I got to catch up with this sort of thing. I did not think the game had auto-attacks?
    Originally posted by Scot
    I got to catch up with this sort of thing. I did not think the game had auto-attacks?

It doesn't.  The guy probably was just clicking his abilities and ignoring the light and heavy attack option.  Probably ignoring block and interrupt as well.

• PoisondwarfPoisondwarf Member UncommonPosts: 33

ALL weapon categories get their damage from weapon damage, which is calculated by STAMINA and the weapons actual damage, this includes STAVES.

Only "build" that would do with 'pure' magicka, is if you only fill your hotbar with CLASS abilities/spells.

All weapons in the last BETA including staves used Stamina rather than Magica to calculate damage. We do not know if this was a bug or intended but as previously quoted ALL weapon damage is calculated using stamina.

• RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785

I have a variety of builds tucked away that I'm interested in, here's my medium armor DK evasion tank:

Redguard – Dragonknight – 1h + Shield – Medium Armor

Hotbar 1

Ult – Magma Armor (Earthen Heart – Magma Shell Morph)

1 – Puncture (1h+shield – Ransack Morph)

2 – Low Slash (1h+shield – Deep Slash Morph)

3 – Evasion (Medium Armor – Elude Morph)

4 – Dragon Blood (Draconic Power – Green Dragon Blood Morph)

5 – Ash Cloud (Earthen Heart – Cinderstorm Morph)

Hotbar 2

Ult – Dragon Leap (Draconic Power – Ferocious Leap Morph)

1 – Inner Fire (Undaunted – Inner Beast Morph)

2 – Spiked Armor (Draconic Power – Volatile Armor Morph)

3 - Obsidian Shield (Earthen Heart – Igneous Shield Morph)

4 – Inferno (Ardent Flame – Sea of Flames Morph)

5 – Shield Charge (1h+shield – Invasion Morph)

Passives from Racial – All

Passives from Draconic Power

Iron skin 2/2

Scaled Armor 2/2

Passives from Earthen Heart

Eternal Mountain 2/2

Battle Roar 2/2

Mountain’s Blessing 2/2

Passives from Medium Armor

Wind Walker 2/2

Agility 2/2

Athlectics 2/2

Basically use Ash Cloud + Evasion to be very difficult to hit. 30% miss chance for mobs + 20% dodge and use shield spells if you need more mitigation. You have 2 direct taunts and lots of AoE.

• PatchezPatchez Member Posts: 58

The more I read about this game, the more it sounds as if everyone is playing a mage, no matter what class you roll :(

• FusionFusion Member UncommonPosts: 1,398
    Originally posted by DMKano
    Originally posted by Poisondwarf

All weapons in the last BETA including staves used Stamina rather than Magica to calculate damage. We do not know if this was a bug or intended but as previously quoted ALL weapon damage is calculated using stamina.

Yes Stamina is used for light and heavy attacks.

Weapon skills use magica, class abilities use magica - some of the most powerful abilities in game are all magica based.

No magica - means can't use any of those.

You couldn't be any further from the truth. Only weapon abilities that use magicka as resource are staves (destruction & healing) and even then, their base ability-damage is staff damage + weapon damage which is calculated from stamina.

Every melee + archercy ability uses stamina as resource AND damage calculation, magicka does absolutely nothing here.

Class abilities use magicka, yes. Good luck rolling with only class abilites on your hotbars.

http://neocron-game.com/ - now totally F2P no cash-shops or micro transactions at all.
    Originally posted by DMKano
    Originally posted by watchawatcha

Dude.  You're wrong.  The game isn't designed for you to just spam your abilities.  You should also be using your light attack and heavy attack.  There are no auto-attacks in ESO.

Also, Heavy Armor has another purpose that people above are forgetting or missing.  The more Heavy Armor you have the greater the threat.  So for tanks it's useful.

Lol tanking?

Every current dungeon in closed beta has been tanked in full cloth (or 5/2 in some cases) by a DK with sword/board (with only first ability unlocked for threat generation).

Spiked armor + full cloth = armor cap

Players will learn soon enough what closed beta testers do in all dungeon runs - AE everything except bosses, this works for all dungeons including end game veteran dungeons. This is why you see videos with even the tank AoEing with everyone else, until they get to bosses - switch to sword/board spam puncture.

Yeah - hehe.

I've played the dungeons.  Have you?  You need a tank or you wipe.  That simple.  You will have your main target healer which does do plenty AoE heals and generates a lot of threat.  Maybe from watching videos it looks to you like they're all just spamming, but the truth is you need someone that is able to pull threat off the healer.  Support might get into trouble as well because of the same issue.

• RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785
    Originally posted by Patchez

The more I read about this game, the more it sounds as if everyone is playing a mage, no matter what class you roll :(

Using "magicka" does not make one a "mage"

It's simply the Elder Scrolls word for energy/spirit/mana - it's a fairly generic term.

Many games in days past used to use mana as the ability resource, was the Barbarian in D2 a mage because he used mana for abilities?

The "Stamina is useless" doom and gloom train is silly, don't let it ruin your fun.

Originally posted by Rusque

I have a variety of builds tucked away that I'm interested in, here's my medium armor DK evasion tank:

Redguard – Dragonknight – 1h + Shield – Medium Armor

Hotbar 1

Ult – Magma Armor (Earthen Heart – Magma Shell Morph)

1 – Puncture (1h+shield – Ransack Morph)

2 – Low Slash (1h+shield – Deep Slash Morph)

3 – Evasion (Medium Armor – Elude Morph)

4 – Dragon Blood (Draconic Power – Green Dragon Blood Morph)

5 – Ash Cloud (Earthen Heart – Cinderstorm Morph)

Hotbar 2

Ult – Dragon Leap (Draconic Power – Ferocious Leap Morph)

1 – Inner Fire (Undaunted – Inner Beast Morph)

2 – Spiked Armor (Draconic Power – Volatile Armor Morph)

3 - Obsidian Shield (Earthen Heart – Igneous Shield Morph)

4 – Inferno (Ardent Flame – Sea of Flames Morph)

5 – Shield Charge (1h+shield – Invasion Morph)

Passives from Racial – All

Passives from Draconic Power

Iron skin 2/2

Scaled Armor 2/2

Passives from Earthen Heart

Eternal Mountain 2/2

Battle Roar 2/2

Mountain’s Blessing 2/2

Passives from Medium Armor

Wind Walker 2/2

Agility 2/2

Athlectics 2/2

Basically use Ash Cloud + Evasion to be very difficult to hit. 30% miss chance for mobs + 20% dodge and use shield spells if you need more mitigation. You have 2 direct taunts and lots of AoE.

I'm going to try this build out in the future.  This sounds awesome.  Do you have fun playing it?

• alexhpy98721alexhpy98721 Member UncommonPosts: 264

As far as i know the melee magic abilities(so almost all the class abilities for a dragon knight except maybe the pull?) are considered Melee abilities aka they benefit from.... melee crit.

I guess that`s why you need less mana to cast them compared to other class abilities for other classes. Makes as much sense as staff damage scaling with stamina so mages must stack stamina if they plan to use staff weapon damage.

• Bad.dogBad.dog Member UncommonPosts: 1,131
    Originally posted by alexhpy98721

As far as i know the melee magic abilities(so almost all the class abilities for a dragon knight except maybe the pull?) are considered Melee abilities aka they benefit from.... melee crit.

I guess that`s why you need less mana to cast them compared to other class abilities for other classes. Makes as much sense as staff damage scaling with stamina so mages must stack stamina if they plan to use staff weapon damage.

melee magic abilities depend on physical crit  which is affected by stamina ....