Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A Farewell To TESO

Comments

• AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083
    Originally posted by Nacario

It's fascinating to see how much blind hatred the average poster shows towards the blog writer. Fact is, hes done a lot of work in terms of making the game better and informing the community. 9 months of work and altering the course. Alright, so he changed his mind, but he posted on his own blog to inform his followers in a polite manner, not on some random forum to seek attention.

People can be so ungrateful, but this isnt anything new :)

It's fascinating to see how much blog writers think their opinion matters. Fact is, this guy has done a lot more harm than good to the game in terms of community and thoughts on game design. 9 months of work thrown away for effectively throwing the equivalent of a 2 year old's temper tantrum.

People shouldn't be grateful to random people on the internet who think they are important just because they have a fan site and a blog.

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

• spizzspizz Member UncommonPosts: 1,971
    Originally posted by Myria

So someone spends nine months helping to improve a game, build a community, working with the devs, and then eventually decides the end product isn't for them. They write a well written and surprisingly dispassionate explanation of their decision on their personal blog only to get trashed by a bunch of barely literate dullards who hang out on a site whose main claim to fame is hourly foaming mouthed screeds about how casuals/soloers/WoW/whatever "killed" MMOs?

Classic.

I agree...

I think we should not get into personal attacks about this author if we dont know him better.

Some are writing on this forum "who cares about his comments" or  "is he that important", "do "he thinks he is someone special". 

--> So who else of the long term beta tester did write an overall review about their game expriences and do you want really tell us that it is not interesting to read about their personal expiriences and feel about the game ?

Why should someone guess he feels very special, when I post an article from his own blog ?

---> Are you guys rather talking about some youtube reviewers, doing the stuff for clicks ?

This really positive review about ESO was written by the same author.

http://tamrielfoundry.com/2014/02/eso-isariis-comprehensive-review/

The guy was the first person on mmorpg.com after the NDA got lifted who did answered question about lvl 50 content and was really helpful. Very valueable informations.

Like we all know ESO is not perfect and has its issues but many of us still like the game and want to start playing it at release or a while after it.

Neverless his posts contents interesting infos about the development of the game, what changed,  current issues ingame and so on. In addition he was an active mod on one of the biggest ESO fanpages, overall a very dedicated beta tester who spent a lot of time with the content of the game.

When it comes to this guy, I think 9+ months is a longer time and there is definately the danger to burn out if you play a lot and invest so much time and energy into the game and beeing active on a fanpage.

• ButeoRegalisButeoRegalis Member UncommonPosts: 594

My biggest issue with the article is the word "liar"/"lying". Nothing to back that up, except that they said one thing at one time and another thing later. A lot later. Time passes, things change. What was said then might well have been the truth, but circumstances changed and the game with it.

Calling the developers liars without showing that they knew when they said it that what they said was false, is just poor taste, slander, and sensationalism. Not the best way to get serious readers to your blog.

And the overuse of "liar" holds not just in reference to ESO.

• oakthornnoakthornn Member UncommonPosts: 863

After reading the first couple paragraphs from the OP, I'm fully confident that's all I needed to read before hitting the big X on the top right of my computer screen..

I've been playing MMO's since Ultima Online,, and pretty much tried every hyped up fantasy MMO afterweards at release, like EQ, EQ 2, Shadowbane, WoW, DAOC, etc etc etc... What do they all have in common at launch? Anyone, anyone? Every single one had lots of content from beginner to mid level range, but very little from high to end game content.. EVERY SINGLE ONE..

What usually happens in 3-6 months after launch? New content is made available for the higher level characters, fixes are made to quests, bugs, glitches, and we all know class balancing is always an issue. One class ends up getting the nerf bat, wheres another class becomes the new OP flavor of the month class...

During my time in ESO Beta, I've come to enjoy the game with what I've seen so far,, some features I'm not to fond of, but its still not enough to sway me from playing.. What I did was simple.. Instead of spending countless hours for months trying to reach max level and burning myself out, I chose to just play casually so I'm not burned out in a month after release.. I made the mistake back when I beta tested other MMO's to the point where I couldn't enjoy the game 2-3 months after release..

Basically, the OP spent way to much time on ESO, to the point of madness.. He is now looking at the game as a 100% finished product, as If It's a structured RPG, and not an actual MMORPG.. What I mean by this is, he believes that the game just doesn't have enough going for it for hardcore gamers such as himself.. Well, maybe he's right, *shrugs*.... But for the casual to semi hardcore gamers, I believe there will be enough content to make us all happy at launch and well into the next few months until the first huge new content patch is released.. That's just my personal opinion..

Rallithon Oakthornn
    (Retired Heirophant of the 60th season)

• AnubisanAnubisan Member UncommonPosts: 1,798

It sounds to me like this guy played an absolute shitload of this game and had a great time at least for a while. The game isn't even out, but he's already experienced all of the content. I don't find it surprising at all that someone like this might not want to do it all over again at release...

I just think it's funny that someone could play the game so much and for so long and then claim that it isn't worth playing. Funny stuff. 

• rygard49rygard49 Member UncommonPosts: 973

He says a few times that he loves the game, but he won't buy it for fear of the direction ZM might take in future development. It seems like the major issues he has with the game are derived from what his crystal ball is showing him.

Granted, he has good cause to be afraid since ZM has proven twice now to waiver and renege on previous promises (I won't give him the three times that he claims, the cash shop horse and imperial "paywall" are one and the same). But, I think he really just got in his free 9 months of game time and now he's ready to move on.

One thing is for sure, from my perspective. If I spent 9 months getting characters to max level for free, then had all my effort wiped out completely, I'd be very uninspired to pay $60 and start over from the beginning. That probably has more to do with it than anything else this guy used to justify his decision.

• NacarioNacario Member UncommonPosts: 222
    Originally posted by Aeonblades
    Originally posted by Nacario

It's fascinating to see how much blind hatred the average poster shows towards the blog writer. Fact is, hes done a lot of work in terms of making the game better and informing the community. 9 months of work and altering the course. Alright, so he changed his mind, but he posted on his own blog to inform his followers in a polite manner, not on some random forum to seek attention.

People can be so ungrateful, but this isnt anything new :)

It's fascinating to see how much blog writers think their opinion matters. Fact is, this guy has done a lot more harm than good to the game in terms of community and thoughts on game design. 9 months of work thrown away for effectively throwing the equivalent of a 2 year old's temper tantrum.

People shouldn't be grateful to random people on the internet who think they are important just because they have a fan site and a blog.

But he must've done something in order to get so many followers. His voicing his opionion in a mild constructive manner, regardless of how right or wrong he is. I am grateful for people like him as they provide with intel, and some times they work for "free". And if you're saying we shouldn't be grateful about "random people" like him, then it's the same as saying I shouldnt care about your opinion either, that it weigths less since you've done nothing.

• rodarinrodarin Member EpicPosts: 2,611
    Originally posted by rygard49

He says a few times that he loves the game, but he won't buy it for fear of the direction ZM might take in future development. It seems like the major issues he has with the game are derived from what his crystal ball is showing him.

Granted, he has good cause to be afraid since ZM has proven twice now to waiver and renege on previous promises (I won't give him the three times that he claims, the cash shop horse and imperial "paywall" are one and the same). But, I think he really just got in his free 9 months of game time and now he's ready to move on.

One thing is for sure, from my perspective. If I spent 9 months getting characters to max level for free, then had all my effort wiped out completely, I'd be very uninspired to pay $60 and start over from the beginning. That probably has more to do with it than anything else this guy used to justify his decision.

That is exactly the type of approach more people should make. The game is OK (if they can fix the bugs and phasing) it isnt great by any stretch. Even if it ran perfectly it wouldnt be subworthy IMO. It just doesnt have enough to it right now.

Some people could maybe justify the sub, they might justify the apparent lack of content, they might justify the bugs and performance issues but they shouldnt be making excuse after excuse after excuse for all the problems this game has.

Thats the exact reason why games get worse and worse as they get released. BECAUSE people excuse all these problems.

If Swotor had sold 200K copies and gone free to play like it did in a few months I would bet my ass ESO wouldnt be getting released in 5 days. But since everyone and their brother bought SWOTOR, when they knew it was garbage, gave ZOS a license to release ANOTHER game that was half finished and in beta testing.

So if ESO sells a million or two copies and makes a shit load of money that gives the NEXT game the same idea of releasing a game that isnt ready simply because there are way too many people willing to ignore the problems.

Whatever this guys motive he has some of it right. Maybe he is mad because they changed the API. But it is also a much more obvious change than some of the other stuff he might cite as a problem with the game. Only thing is API is a personal opinionated issue and not something that can be debated with facts and 'evidence'.

regardless people give these companies way too much credit for doing the 'right' thing. I thik that is why he had a meltdown like he did because I really think he felt self important and thought that ZoS actually cared what he though. Reality sucks.  He just got his dose a lot sooner than most people. But the problem is the ones who take longer are just perpetuating the trend.

• Pig-EyePig-Eye Member Posts: 115
    Give me my ball, I'm going home!

I got your Deliverance!

Where's my banjo?!!

• R3dGallowsR3dGallows Member Posts: 7
    If this game provides me with 9 months of play time... Im going to be more than happy with it. That would be the longest time an MMO managed to keep me playing since WoW. 
  • MsPtibiscuitMsPtibiscuit Member Posts: 164
    Originally posted by rodarin
    Originally posted by rygard49

That is exactly the type of approach more people should make. The game is OK (if they can fix the bugs and phasing) it isnt great by any stretch. Even if it ran perfectly it wouldnt be subworthy IMO. It just doesnt have enough to it right now.

Some people could maybe justify the sub, they might justify the apparent lack of content, they might justify the bugs and performance issues but they shouldnt be making excuse after excuse after excuse for all the problems this game has.

Thats the exact reason why games get worse and worse as they get released. BECAUSE people excuse all these problems.

If Swotor had sold 200K copies and gone free to play like it did in a few months I would bet my ass ESO wouldnt be getting released in 5 days. But since everyone and their brother bought SWOTOR, when they knew it was garbage, gave ZOS a license to release ANOTHER game that was half finished and in beta testing.

So if ESO sells a million or two copies and makes a shit load of money that gives the NEXT game the same idea of releasing a game that isnt ready simply because there are way too many people willing to ignore the problems.

Whatever this guys motive he has some of it right. Maybe he is mad because they changed the API. But it is also a much more obvious change than some of the other stuff he might cite as a problem with the game. Only thing is API is a personal opinionated issue and not something that can be debated with facts and 'evidence'.

regardless people give these companies way too much credit for doing the 'right' thing. I thik that is why he had a meltdown like he did because I really think he felt self important and thought that ZoS actually cared what he though. Reality sucks.  He just got his dose a lot sooner than most people. But the problem is the ones who take longer are just perpetuating the trend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFJtICCZZd8

• ReeseFlamelocksReeseFlamelocks Member UncommonPosts: 45
    Originally posted by DEAD.line
    Originally posted by ReeseFlamelocks

The era of the "next big MMO" is over. WoW came at the right time and place when MMO releases were fewer and farther between. WoW is still alive purely based on nostalgia and time invested of a past MMO player-base. You play an MMO for a year and then leave for the next one. If ESO gives me a year, I'll be happy. No game is meant to be played forever.

Then it shouldn't be P2P. Buy and dump themepark mmos are perfectly fine for many like me. But if the the game's just meant to be played for some months and put aside only to be touched on rare occasions, i don't see a reason to pay for game time when all that matters is the box content.

EDIT: Of course no game's meant to be played "forever", but if all i wanted was a game to play and dump, i'd settle for SP. Much more value, quality and cheaper. But like i said, meh, themeparks.

The original author of that article clearly expected ESO to be the next big MMO. He specifically said so. It's simply an old mentalty. There are far too many choices of MMOs out there now and one game will no longer serve the majority of players.

I played in one beta and I liked what I saw gameplay-wise. Zenimax set the terms and determining the amount of cash worth paying is simply a personal choice of the player. A cost-benefit analysis by each individual player will determine whether the right choice was made or not.

I always pay month-to-month to avoid paying for months I am not playing, so each month I enjoy the game, is a month I'm willing to pay.

Played: UO, DAoC, Shadowbane, DDO, LOTRO, Aion, Rift, TERA
    Sampled: WoW, AoC, GW2, Vanguard, FF XIV, Neverwinter
    Playing: ESO

Originally posted by DEAD.line

The era of the "next big MMO" is over. WoW came at the right time and place when MMO releases were fewer and farther between. WoW is still alive purely based on nostalgia and time invested of a past MMO player-base. You play an MMO for a year and then leave for the next one. If ESO gives me a year, I'll be happy. No game is meant to be played forever.

Then it shouldn't be P2P. Buy and dump themepark mmos are perfectly fine for many like me. But if the the game's just meant to be played for some months and put aside only to be touched on rare occasions, i don't see a reason to pay for game time when all that matters is the box content.

EDIT: Of course no game's meant to be played "forever", but if all i wanted was a game to play and dump, i'd settle for SP. Much more value, quality and cheaper. But like i said, meh, themeparks.

The original author of that article clearly expected ESO to be the next big MMO. He specifically said so. It's simply an old mentalty. There are far too many choices of MMOs out there now and one game will no longer serve the majority of players.

I played in one beta and I liked what I saw gameplay-wise. Zenimax set the terms and determining the amount of cash worth paying is simply a personal choice of the player. A cost-benefit analysis by each individual player will determine whether the right choice was made or not.

I always pay month-to-month to avoid paying for months I am not playing, so each month I enjoy the game, is a month I'm willing to pay.

He's saying it was the best MMO, because he played the game for 9 months, but he doesn't like hwo the game has changed from the original version of it

• IsariiIsarii Member UncommonPosts: 46

Hey everyone, 

Blog author here, and because I am apparently the idiot everyone on this site thinks I am, I thought plunging into the Lion's Den would be a fun way to spend my lunch break today. It's a Monday. It was expected to be shitty anyway. 

The major thing I would like to clarify is that if at any point during the read, you thought to yourself, "who the fuck is this guy and why should I care", then you simply aren't my target audience. Regardless of your opinion of me as a person, it is undeniable that I am fairly well known in at least my little corner of the TESO community through my participation on Tamriel Foundry and Twonkhammer's TESOCast, and I don't think it's unreasonable for me to assume that people who are fans of those outlets would be interested in my departure. 

As I said in the post, those are the people that this article was written for - the ones I know personally, and the ones that follow me personally; this is why I posted it to my low traffic blog, and not Tamriel Foundry itself. I shared my post on my personal Twitter, my guild forums, and the off-topic forum of Tamriel Foundry, the site which I have helped to run for the last year. While it has made its way to MMORPG.com and Reddit through other posters, none of that was my doing, because in all truthfulness, I agree with you guys. You don't know who I am, and I wouldn't expect you to care.

The target audience defines a lot about my approach to the piece, which I believe has lead to some confusion now that several thousand people outside of that audience have found their way to it. While the post is merely a telling of my personal loss of faith in the game and its developer, it has been approached as if it were a review, meant to inform or sway the opinions of a lot of people. I don't blame the confused for the misunderstanding, as the style they are interpreting the post as being is a lot more in line with my past writing than the one in question. 

In the end though, the post should be viewed for what it actually is - a personal blog post, which should only be held to a slightly higher standard than a Facebook post. 

With the post now properly framed as an insight into my own personal choices and not a review meant to persuade or enact change, a lot of the post should make more sense. Some have accused me of "crystal-balling" due to the post being entirely future focused, but when I have already seen the content that is currently in the game, what other standard should I use for my own personal purchasing decisions? Many have mentioned that the length I stuck with the game indicates that I'm full of it, but this is something the post already addressed, multiple times, with a disclaimer at the top and bottom noting that many people will get their money's worth and enjoy the content that is already in game. That's a great standard for those people to choose by, and for them, there is my comprehensive review. It's not appropriate for me though; I've been there - I've done that, and the future is all the game would hold. 

For me to drop money on the game, I have to be convinced that TESO has what it take to survive in the market as a long-term MMORPG. I want to think that it does, but based on my beta testing experience, and experience with the MMO market in general, I really don't think it will. The post wasn't made to convince people that I'm right. If you think the game holds a future for you, then I recommend that you buy it. Its purpose was to explain, to those who cared, that the uncertain future is the reason I will no longer be around. 

And that's what it came down to. Do I stay with the game and get burned by another MMO, even when I see it coming, or do I cut my losses and avoid spending money on a game I have no faith in? I chose to play it cautious, for once.

• PyukPyuk Member UncommonPosts: 762
    Originally posted by Precusor
    Have fun waiting for the next mmo which will most likely be another major disappointment.

It's sad how true this statement is.

I make spreadsheets at work - I don't want to make them for the games I play.

• PalaziousPalazious Member Posts: 162
    Originally posted by Isarii

Hey everyone, 

Blog author here, and because I am apparently the idiot everyone on this site thinks I am, I thought plunging into the Lion's Den would be a fun way to spend my lunch break today. It's a Monday. It was expected to be shitty anyway. 

The major thing I would like to clarify is that if at any point during the read, you thought to yourself, "who the fuck is this guy and why should I care", then you simply aren't my target audience. Regardless of your opinion of me as a person, it is undeniable that I am fairly well known in at least my little corner of the TESO community through my participation on Tamriel Foundry and Twonkhammer's TESOCast, and I don't think it's unreasonable for me to assume that people who are fans of those outlets would be interested in my departure. 

As I said in the post, those are the people that this article was written for - the ones I know personally, and the ones that follow me personally; this is why I posted it to my low traffic blog, and not Tamriel Foundry itself. I shared my post on my personal Twitter, my guild forums, and the off-topic forum of Tamriel Foundry, the site which I have helped to run for the last year. While it has made its way to MMORPG.com and Reddit through other posters, none of that was my doing, because in all truthfulness, I agree with you guys. You don't know who I am, and I wouldn't expect you to care.

The target audience defines a lot about my approach to the piece, which I believe has lead to some confusion now that several thousand people outside of that audience have found their way to it. While the post is merely a telling of my personal loss of faith in the game and its developer, it has been approached as if it were a review, meant to inform or sway the opinions of a lot of people. I don't blame the confused for the misunderstanding, as the style they are interpreting the post as being is a lot more in line with my past writing than the one in question. 

In the end though, the post should be viewed for what it actually is - a personal blog post, which should only be held to a slightly higher standard than a Facebook post. 

With the post now properly framed as an insight into my own personal choices and not a review meant to persuade or enact change, a lot of the post should make more sense. Some have accused me of "crystal-balling" due to the post being entirely future focused, but when I have already seen the content that is currently in the game, what other standard should I use for my own personal purchasing decisions? Many have mentioned that the length I stuck with the game indicates that I'm full of it, but this is something the post already addressed, multiple times, with a disclaimer at the top and bottom noting that many people will get their money's worth and enjoy the content that is already in game. That's a great standard for those people to choose by, and for them, there is my comprehensive review. It's not appropriate for me though; I've been there - I've done that, and the future is all the game would hold. 

For me to drop money on the game, I have to be convinced that TESO has what it take to survive in the market as a long-term MMORPG. I want to think that it does, but based on my beta testing experience, and experience with the MMO market in general, I really don't think it will. The post wasn't made to convince people that I'm right. If you think the game holds a future for you, then I recommend that you buy it. Its purpose was to explain, to those who cared, that the uncertain future is the reason I will no longer be around. 

And that's what it came down to. Do I stay with the game and get burned by another MMO, even when I see it coming, or do I cut my losses and avoid spending money on a game I have no faith in? I chose to play it cautious, for once.

Welcome to the Lion's Den!

Palazious <The Vindicators> Darkfall
    Palazious r40, rr45 SW War
    Palazious 50 Pirate PoTBS
    Palazious 35 Sorcerer Vanguard
    Palazious 75 wizard EQ
    Paladori 50 Champion LOTRO
    Poppa Reaver bugged at rank15

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Originally posted by Gestankfaust
    Originally posted by JemAs666
    lol thanks for sharing.  I can sleep tonight knowing this one person isn't playing.

Yeah...now all I need is for some one to rate pizza so I can follow him/her like a sheep to the land where pizza is no more.

Hey no mocking my Pizza !! Oh btw can i get Chicken wings rated as well :P

I WISH someone with credibility could rate pizza it is tough to find a good one that is not 1/8 of an inch thick and has less cheese than half a Kraft processed cheese slice :P.

I think if anything the article proves what we already know,far too many people get all excited,act like the coming of christ then a few months later are like was i on drugs or something this game sucks lol.

We have seen this trend over and over ever since devs jumped on the Wow bandwagon and decided game design was not to be thought out but just copied.Then devs are scratching their heads as to why so many left their game and they end up f2p.

The LAST thing i would do is hire an experienced producer,that would leave me with another Wow/EQ clone.

That is the problem with this industry,they all look for experienced CLONES  instead of hiring NEW young people with fresh ideas.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• PyukPyuk Member UncommonPosts: 762

Hey everyone, 

+10

I make spreadsheets at work - I don't want to make them for the games I play.

• ThornrageThornrage Member UncommonPosts: 659

Hey everyone, 

Kudos for you to come here in the fiery pit of hell (too much?) to explain yourself. I can respect that. I understand your reason for your original blog and I understand your target audience. You did fair to do what you did at your own blog.

I like ESO and I plan to play for as long as it is fun. Your blog is your opinion and being a 9 month tester, I say your opinion is worth reading. 

Good luck on your adventures.

"I don't give a sh*t what other people say. I play what I like and I'll pay to do it too!" - SerialMMOist

• rodarinrodarin Member EpicPosts: 2,611
    Originally posted by MsPtibiscuit

I wish I had made that video.....

• spizzspizz Member UncommonPosts: 1,971
    Originally posted by Thornrage

Hey everyone, 

Kudos for you to come here in the fiery pit of hell (too much?) to explain yourself. I can respect that. I understand your reason for your original blog and I understand your target audience. You did fair to do what you did at your own blog.

I like ESO and I plan to play for as long as it is fun. Your blog is your opinion and being a 9 month tester, I say your opinion is worth reading. 

Good luck on your adventures.

+1

I did see the link about isariis blog post in one of the threads on the tamrielfoundry forums, great that you posted a response here. I never thought that some of the people would take it that personally about the author, but rather just read it as some interesting informations form someone who played for longer already.

Originally posted by rodarin
    Originally posted by MsPtibiscuit

I wish I had made that video.....

Unfortunately it's the sad true.

People don't want to rack up their heads about little things. Zenimax and marketers in general did understand that and they don't go directly with a big cash shop & shit, but they start with a little thing, a small DLC with a race in it, only one vanity horse, then they start to add some vanity pets, and then maybe some bonuses like XP boost for people who only prefer PvP and don't want to lose time in levelling.

If your kid "cross the line" he shouldn't, you walk to him and tell him that he shouldn't cross the line. You don't stand still and expect him not to cross it again because he somehow understood he shouldn't

• LisaFlexy22LisaFlexy22 Member UncommonPosts: 450

Hey everyone, 

You were 100% on board with this game until the API changes.  I think the highlighted statements and much of your blog post are a bunch of hot air that you may even be telling yourself in an effort to justify your stance of not playing due to your anger about that one decision.  Hey I've done the same thing at times - something really pisses me off and then I look for a lot of other things to fuel that anger passion, even though those things weren't as big of a deal before the one thing really pissed me off.  And if the API changes were a big enough deal to you then there is nothing wrong with quitting over it - we all have our things.  But these last 2 paragraphs here, come on, lol.  You're quitting because you're "not convinced the game can survive in the mmo market."  ppssshhhhhhh

• IsariiIsarii Member UncommonPosts: 46
    Originally posted by LisaFlexy22

Hey everyone, 

You were 100% on board with this game until the API changes.  I think the highlighted statements and much of your blog post are a bunch of hot air that you may even be telling yourself in an effort to justify your stance of not playing due to your anger about that one decision.  Hey I've done the same thing at times - something really pisses me off and then I look for a lot of other things to fuel that anger passion, even though those things weren't as big of a deal before the one thing really pissed me off.  And if the API changes were a big enough deal to you then there is nothing wrong with quitting over it - we all have our things.  But these last 2 paragraphs here, come on, lol.  You're quitting because you're "not convinced the game can survive in the mmo market."  ppssshhhhhhh

This is a popular theory I see ascribed to me, which I attribute mostly to the degree that I focused on the API in my final post. Even at the time, I felt that I had dwelled on it a bit too long, but it was a timely and relevant example of a lot of the problems I have had with the development team. While the change and the way they made it certainly helped to push me out the door, it was other factors which had me standing in it. I'd also like to point out that we can still do quite a bit more with the API than the public realizes at this point, so it wasn't as big of a deal to me as some people may think. The action wasn't a big deal, but the design philosophy and intent it represents does exemplify a lot of the doubt I had as to whether or not the game would be for me. 

Still, while I don’t think this is an unreasonable response to what I’ve written, at the same time, what I’ve written wasn’t an exhaustive write-up either. I chose to focus on my doubt for the future of the game because it is important, but there were other causes beyond changes in the most recent patch. 

I have actually barely been able to log onto the PTS for around a month now. It’s partially the bugs, horrendous balance, and other technical problems, but it also boils down to a fundamental problem I have with the endgame philosophy behind TESO. In the end, I think it’s the amount of questing the game forces on you (I’m including the other types of open world content as questing, for simplicity). I’m not a big quester, and while I’ve enjoyed it in some games, TESO’s quests just aren’t my type of thing. I love the way they fit into the world, and the emphasis on narrative focused chains rather than one and done kill quests is great, but they don’t grab me in the same way that The Secret World, or even SWTOR’s (to a much lesser extent) do.

That’s all personal preference, but where other games have quests as an annoying content gauntlet you grind through to get to endgame, in TESO, those quests are a large part the endgame, and this annoyed me far more than I expected it to. I liked +/++ content in theory, and in theory, I liked how lengthy the VR grind turned out to be. In practice though, the extended quest grind really, really bothers me, and it’s just not something I could bring myself to do again. This is a design that some people are going to love, but having tried it in the PTS, I can say with complete confidence that I am definitely not one of them.

To tie it back into the game’s future though, this model is not going to bode well with a lot of the MMO community. Launching without adventure zones was not a good idea, and the extended quest grind covering up their absence may prove more egregious then the absence itself, especially in light of the difficulty associated with leveling VR through PvP or grinding; questing is nearly the only viable option right now.

The game really, really needed to be pushed back six months at the very least. That’s not going to happen though, and it's yet another flaw the game may yet pay the price for.

• keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191
    Originally posted by LisaFlexy22

Hey everyone, 

This is a popular theory I see ascribed to me, which I attribute mostly to the degree that I focused on the API in my final post. Even at the time, I felt that I had dwelled on it a bit too long, but it was a timely and relevant example of a lot of the problems I have had with the development team. While the change and the way they made it certainly helped to push me out the door, it was other factors which had me standing in it. I'd also like to point out that we can still do quite a bit more with the API than the public realizes at this point, so it wasn't as big of a deal to me as some people may think. The action wasn't a big deal, but the design philosophy and intent it represents does exemplify a lot of the doubt I had as to whether or not the game would be for me. 

Still, while I don’t think this is an unreasonable response to what I’ve written, at the same time, what I’ve written wasn’t an exhaustive write-up either. I chose to focus on my doubt for the future of the game because it is important, but there were other causes beyond changes in the most recent patch. 

I have actually barely been able to log onto the PTS for around a month now. It’s partially the bugs, horrendous balance, and other technical problems, but it also boils down to a fundamental problem I have with the endgame philosophy behind TESO. In the end, I think it’s the amount of questing the game forces on you (I’m including the other types of open world content as questing, for simplicity). I’m not a big quester, and while I’ve enjoyed it in some games, TESO’s quests just aren’t my type of thing. I love the way they fit into the world, and the emphasis on narrative focused chains rather than one and done kill quests is great, but they don’t grab me in the same way that The Secret World, or even SWTOR’s (to a much lesser extent) do.

That’s all personal preference, but where other games have quests as an annoying content gauntlet you grind through to get to endgame, in TESO, those quests are a large part the endgame, and this annoyed me far more than I expected it to. I liked +/++ content in theory, and in theory, I liked how lengthy the VR grind turned out to be. In practice though, the extended quest grind really, really bothers me, and it’s just not something I could bring myself to do again. This is a design that some people are going to love, but having tried it in the PTS, I can say with complete confidence that I am definitely not one of them.

To tie it back into the game’s future though, this model is not going to bode well with a lot of the MMO community. Launching without adventure zones was not a good idea, and the extended quest grind covering up their absence may prove more egregious then the absence itself, especially in light of the difficulty associated with leveling VR through PvP or grinding; questing is nearly the only viable option right now.

The game really, really needed to be pushed back six months at the very least. That’s not going to happen though, and it's yet another flaw the game may yet prove the price for.

....to be honest, it does seem strange to me as someone who really enjoyed your initial read (I don't follow you like others) that this kinda swing happened at the same time as the API changes. Sorry, to coincidental to me too. What's more odd is that as an MMO veteran you base your decision on the future when the future is never certain for any MMO. Did WOW really expect the success it got over the last decade? When that was a buggy mess at release, should we have just stopped playing after beta? It just seems like an odd thing to write and not very logical. I totally agree that if the game was pushed back 6 months, it would probably be a lot stronger, but you could say the same thing about every recent release since Everquest.

Your recent posting is actually a good reason for not beta testing...because to me its a symptom of beta testing burn out. That is why I stopped going beyond level 10...I want to enjoy myself when the game is released. I guess Im not a good beta tester :-)

There Is Always Hope!