Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A Farewell To TESO

Comments

• AzothAzoth Member UncommonPosts: 840
    Originally posted by TheHavok

OP's article link was a great read.  The author made a lot of solid points and backed up each one. He also seems like a true gamer, something I can really appreciate.

What's the difference between a true and a false gamer ?

• TheHavokTheHavok Member UncommonPosts: 2,423
    Originally posted by Azoth

OP's article link was a great read.  The author made a lot of solid points and backed up each one. He also seems like a true gamer, something I can really appreciate.

Plays games for the sake of them being fun and enjoyable, not what features are or are not in them.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

Whether or not the person reading the reviews agrees with the opinion stated.

• ReticulataReticulata Member UncommonPosts: 98
    Originally posted by Iselin
    Originally posted by Reticulata
    Originally posted by Isarii

I'm not really following how my being an MMO veteran means I shouldn't focus on the future, to be honest.

I am curious, how old are you?

I see all these TF guys posing as mmo veterans, and most look like they are barely out of high school or college.

Knowing a person's age usually helps provide a baseline as far as where they are coming from, and how that affects their opinions, experience, or views on games.

His profile at the TF says he is 23.

Thank you. That adds some perspective on where this 23 year old "veteran" is coming from. I can now see why he is raging over add-on nerfs.

SOE changes name to Daybreak games, cause dey break games.
  • TalemireTalemire Member UncommonPosts: 839
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer

I lol'ed.

Isaiah 41:10
  • Sir_CroweSir_Crowe Member Posts: 20
    Originally posted by Talemire
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer

I lol'ed.

lmao same here

• rygard49rygard49 Member UncommonPosts: 973

Plays games for the sake of them being fun and enjoyable, not what features are or are not in them.

By that definition, then, he isn't a true gamer, as he says repeatedly that the game is fun, but he's leaving due to features being cut.

• AzothAzoth Member UncommonPosts: 840

Then may I suggest for you to reread the post, you seem to have missed most of it.

Originally posted by rygard49

By that definition, then, he isn't a true gamer, as he says repeatedly that the game is fun, but he's leaving due to features being cut.

Yeah, you are right. I'm going to have to work on that definition lol.

Then may I suggest for you to reread the post, you seem to have missed most of it.

You are right, my definition was bad. I guess what I meant to say was that the author plays a variety of MMOs and if they aren't fun, he will leave them but he's not afraid to come back to them if they improve and he's having fun.

• david31741david31741 Member Posts: 36

I think it was very distasteful and disrespectful  - to both ESO and the general community.  The ranting about ESO's chosen biz model reflected the lack of experience with decision making and/or just inexperience in general.

"Beta tester " ego is an interesting phenomenon.  It's easy to see why certain personalities are drawn to pre-release communitiesas a way to attain attention.  Based on the "goodbye" I read - I would chalk this one up to the "I'm no longer special/I know better than ESO and I'm taking my ball and going home".

Do this in your crap in your chosen career and you wont be working in that industry anymore. 

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912
    Sometimes I can hardly stand reading these threads. So full of venom and personal attacks. Bah. Kids...

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• HugolinHugolin Member UncommonPosts: 83
    9 months?, that sounds like a game that can hold people, the most i play mmos is like 2 months...9 months would be a dream come true
  • EcnaliEcnali Member CommonPosts: 49

Oh, I totally agreed with him. But I still bought the Imperial Edition anyways, mostly so I can play with my mates. But we all know the following to be true:

1  - It is most definitely headed to F2P.

2  - No matter how you cut it, the UI is bad. My only hope was for the possibility of Add-ons/MODS which would allow smarter people than me (or apparently the DEVs) to make a heads up display with, you know,  hot key bars, ability to put inventory into nice easy to manage and sort bags, a better map - although I admit it, I do like me that compass thingy - things that old curmudgeon-y MMO players like me are used to. That 'wheel of fishing' ???? HIDEOUS!

So, hopefully, I'll have a bit of fun playing with my mates before it's back to LOTRO and EVE (LOTRO for beer, hobbits, rainbows, dancing and  the Shire, EVE because, well, it's EVE - ... must resist.... No, EVE, never leave me....)

Oh, yeah, I swore I would never give SOE money again - but....OMG! I tried Everquest Next/Landmark (the Landmark part, obviously) and am totally hooked. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!

See ya in game! (for a few weeks, anyway).

• watchawatchawatchawatcha Member Posts: 960

Reading the new posts here and reading the author's response and the fact that he completely avoided directly addressing the timing of his 180, yep I was dead on with my critique of what had been going on over at Tamriel Foundry.

Fantastic rebuttal guys.  I would still like him to address how they can't test for broken abilities anymore because you're still allowed to see your own damage.  There's been a lot of misinformation spread early on, along with freakout, over the API lockdown.

• DreycraftDreycraft Member UncommonPosts: 107
    "I know that my profile is high enough in the TESO community that many people will want to know why I'm leaving" What a conceited asswipe, and what really irks me is he speaks like he is Jesus Christ or something, this person is no more important than any of the weekend testers. I don't care that he tested way longer than most, that doesn't mean crap to me because most would have done the same if given the opportunity. Once you get to the end of his rambling he starts listing all these games that disappointed him, I began to get the feeling that he isn't into video games period anymore, not just the genre, he just hasn't admitted that to himself yet, because I have thoroughly enjoyed most of the games he mentioned, yet he didn't like ONE? Also the fact he says in the beginning of his la-dee-da farewell is that he wasn't trying to bash the game, turn people away from it, or try to get ZOS to make changes, that just proves his conceitedness, just making sure everyone knows that he is leaving the game, sorry buddy, no one cares except for the psychopaths that want to see ESO fail. Kudos to the OPer, I understand it's crunch time for you guys, less than a week from early access, you have to hurry and turn as many people away from the game as possible.
  • RiannesRiannes Member UncommonPosts: 98
    Originally posted by Tsumoro

I love how the people on here moan and try to reinforce themselves and their ideals. now I read the guys post and it sounds quite informative and well put together with detailed facts that he uses to give evidence and merit behind what he is saying. Now, with MMO's we always live in uncertain times and they appear to be more of a gamble than anything else these days which is why it is important to have these critics with extensive play time have their voice heard. 

It is about consumer awareness and the more of it we have the better. Now, what he said might not change your view of the game and you might still buy into it and get a lot of enjoyment out it, this is something he says in his blog also. But, his main concern is that the lasting appeal to the game is not there, that the game is not user friendly with regards to a few informative mechanics and that the companies word has been shady at best. 

Now, I could easily say that:

1) he played 9 months of a game with no content updates, so, on a basis that content is updated regular when live the life of the game might not be an issue. 

2) I have no reference to relate to with him about the end game information on the UI, whether there is to much or too little. I imagine that the company either the company focused on what they believed mattered most, or that the information itself is something only relevant to small sections of gaming community and as such would be best suited as an addon created by the community rather than resources being spent on it. Of course, no idea how important this is at this stage, but, the only have a finite amount of resources to spend and they opted to not focus on that one. 

3) The transition from P2P to F2P will irk a lot of people, especially those whom pay a box price or collectors additions. Now, they might be looking to just simply go down a hybrid model like WoW is because they see that as the best way to monetise the game, but I would agree that putting resources in place to allow a seamless F2P transition does not invoke consumer confidence. Neither does having the developers change their minds or go against information they previously said. 

Now, I can understand that marketing and business decisions are made for the betterment for both the company and their consumers but in a world of MMOs once Subscription now F2P this will worry a lot of people. 

In short, I will be giving this game a go, why not, I waste a bit of money and time and hopefully I get some enjoyment out of it. However I welcome more feedback and critique about the game. 

These people are doing us all a favour by keeping us updated and whether you agree with him or not you should be thankful for the time he put in trying to help. 

This. A sensible post.

When he talked good stuffs, nobody complained. When he talked negative, now hes the culprit. All he did was giving a warning. which can be easily neglected if disagree. isnt hard.

People keep on saying he got burnt out / raged by addon issue but failing to understand his disappointment was due to the direction (or lack of) the game is taking. add failed promise to that and isnt hard to see why.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Originally posted by Sir_Crowe
    Originally posted by Damedius

i don't see what wrong with that being his reason for leaving that was my number reason for leaving,the games (eso) end-game is very shallow and the big bg gets old real fast.

It's because he's being "chicken little" saying that the "sky is falling'.

Exactly. There is a huge difference between just saying "I'm leaving because I hate, X, Y and Z" --which is perfectly legit -- and adding "Oh, BTW, the game is going to fail." 

A distinction many in this thread seem to be struggling with.

Doesn't mean its any less of a person's opinion or freedom of speech to state that.

When you post something for the public to read people can critique it. We're critiquing the "chicken little" part of his blog.

That would be our freedom of speech,

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

Originally posted by Dreycraft
    "I know that my profile is high enough in the TESO community that many people will want to know why I'm leaving" What a conceited asswipe, and what really irks me is he speaks like he is Jesus Christ or something, this person is no more important than any of the weekend testers. I don't care that he tested way longer than most, that doesn't mean crap to me because most would have done the same if given the opportunity. Once you get to the end of his rambling he starts listing all these games that disappointed him, I began to get the feeling that he isn't into video games period anymore, not just the genre, he just hasn't admitted that to himself yet, because I have thoroughly enjoyed most of the games he mentioned, yet he didn't like ONE? Also the fact he says in the beginning of his la-dee-da farewell is that he wasn't trying to bash the game, turn people away from it, or try to get ZOS to make changes, that just proves his conceitedness, just making sure everyone knows that he is leaving the game, sorry buddy, no one cares except for the psychopaths that want to see ESO fail. Kudos to the OPer, I understand it's crunch time for you guys, less than a week from early access, you have to hurry and turn as many people away from the game as possible.

if you think that , they must be getting to you then imo  ...

Originally posted by Damedius
    Originally posted by Sir_Crowe i don't see what wrong with that being his reason for leaving that was my number reason for leaving,the games (eso) end-game is very shallow and the big bg gets old real fast.

It's because he's being "chicken little" saying that the "sky is falling'.

Exactly. There is a huge difference between just saying "I'm leaving because I hate, X, Y and Z" --which is perfectly legit -- and adding "Oh, BTW, the game is going to fail." 

A distinction many in this thread seem to be struggling with.

Doesn't mean its any less of a person's opinion or freedom of speech to state that.

When you post something for the public to read people can critique it. We're critiquing the "chicken little" part of his blog.

That would be our freedom of speech,

Lol who said you couldnt critique ? I stated what I stated because from your prev post I got the feels that even stating that the sky is falling some how lessens a persons opinion, which is incorrect .
  • KaosProphetKaosProphet Member Posts: 379
    Originally posted by Riannes
    Originally posted by Tsumoro

I love how the people on here moan and try to reinforce themselves and their ideals. now I read the guys post and it sounds quite informative and well put together with detailed facts that he uses to give evidence and merit behind what he is saying. Now, with MMO's we always live in uncertain times and they appear to be more of a gamble than anything else these days which is why it is important to have these critics with extensive play time have their voice heard. 

It is about consumer awareness and the more of it we have the better. Now, what he said might not change your view of the game and you might still buy into it and get a lot of enjoyment out it, this is something he says in his blog also. But, his main concern is that the lasting appeal to the game is not there, that the game is not user friendly with regards to a few informative mechanics and that the companies word has been shady at best. 

Now, I could easily say that:

1) he played 9 months of a game with no content updates, so, on a basis that content is updated regular when live the life of the game might not be an issue. 

2) I have no reference to relate to with him about the end game information on the UI, whether there is to much or too little. I imagine that the company either the company focused on what they believed mattered most, or that the information itself is something only relevant to small sections of gaming community and as such would be best suited as an addon created by the community rather than resources being spent on it. Of course, no idea how important this is at this stage, but, the only have a finite amount of resources to spend and they opted to not focus on that one. 

3) The transition from P2P to F2P will irk a lot of people, especially those whom pay a box price or collectors additions. Now, they might be looking to just simply go down a hybrid model like WoW is because they see that as the best way to monetise the game, but I would agree that putting resources in place to allow a seamless F2P transition does not invoke consumer confidence. Neither does having the developers change their minds or go against information they previously said. 

Now, I can understand that marketing and business decisions are made for the betterment for both the company and their consumers but in a world of MMOs once Subscription now F2P this will worry a lot of people. 

In short, I will be giving this game a go, why not, I waste a bit of money and time and hopefully I get some enjoyment out of it. However I welcome more feedback and critique about the game. 

These people are doing us all a favour by keeping us updated and whether you agree with him or not you should be thankful for the time he put in trying to help. 

This. A sensible post.

When he talked good stuffs, nobody complained. When he talked negative, now hes the culprit. All he did was giving a warning. which can be easily neglected if disagree. isnt hard.

People keep on saying he got burnt out / raged by addon issue but failing to understand his disappointment was due to the direction (or lack of) the game is taking. add failed promise to that and isnt hard to see why.

I got that.

But I disagree in a sense:  the add-on issue itself struck me as a reclaiming of their direction that I had thought was lost.  It's just a direction many (particularly veterans accustomed to a certain level of information) don't much care for.

• KaosProphetKaosProphet Member Posts: 379
    "I know that my profile is high enough in the TESO community that many people will want to know why I'm leaving" What a conceited asswipe, and what really irks me is he speaks like he is Jesus Christ or something, this person is no more important than any of the weekend testers. I don't care that he tested way longer than most, that doesn't mean crap to me because most would have done the same if given the opportunity.

In terms of the ESO community, he is actually one of the bigger names.  Not because he's part of the PTS test crew, but because he's one of the founding members and administrator team of Tamriel Foundry.

Conceited as he may sound for having spoken of it, he *does* have a level of influence you or I don't have. 

• HabitualFrogStompHabitualFrogStomp Member UncommonPosts: 370
    Originally posted by KaosProphet
    "I know that my profile is high enough in the TESO community that many people will want to know why I'm leaving" What a conceited asswipe, and what really irks me is he speaks like he is Jesus Christ or something, this person is no more important than any of the weekend testers. I don't care that he tested way longer than most, that doesn't mean crap to me because most would have done the same if given the opportunity.

In terms of the ESO community, he is actually one of the bigger names.  Not because he's part of the PTS test crew, but because he's one of the founding members and administrator team of Tamriel Foundry.

Conceited as he may sound for having spoken of it, he *does* have a level of influence you or I don't have. 

From the way I heard it all he's been doing for awhile is knocking back any of his own community members who dont agree with his views. And that was before this whole I quit thing started. That's like running a Dayz or Battlefield server, advertising yourself as all legit and just a group of people who love the game, then suddenly becoming an asshole and kicking everyone who has the audacity to kill you. Good riddance to bad rubbish.

My view is people like that that need to sort of be involved in something that is niche or a small community where they can have some measure of control over whats going on, which was pretty much the case in beta. But live was right around the corner, he noticed that he had no pull and the development cycle was turning against him, so it fried one of his circuits and he quit. He was never gonna last on live anyways most likely, not with that kinda attitude.

There will be lots of members in the ESO community who will become respected over time and have maybe a little more pull in the community than others. Either through PVP success or running an important guild or what have you. These beta guys are gonna work 10 times harder in live because obviously the pond is bigger. More than likely you'll never hear about most of them ever again.

• kinkyJalepenokinkyJalepeno Member UncommonPosts: 1,044
    Originally posted by rodarin

He pretty much nailed it.

Opinion or not he is saying what a lot of people think about this game.

Obviously the game will have fans, and those are the niche group this game is catering to. They may or may not be able to support it. I say they wont because I suspect ZoS wants to make alot of money off this game which will end up being a complete shift to a cash shop game.

The thing is eveyrone who defended the game being 'buggy' all claimed it wasnt on the PTS. Well here is a PTS tester saying it WAS buggy there. So the bugs probably go beyond the layering and phasing excuse people are using. But ironically if theyre 'just' bugs and not caused by a core mechanic of the game (phasing) they might actually be easier to fix.

But without modding and the player base unable to do it for them  it is doubtful. Bethesda always releases buggy trash so the fact this game is a buggy mess isnt a surprise, games arent fit to play until theyre modded and fixed by guys in cellars who are better at developing games than the guys paid to develop them.

We will all be able to play this game eventually, whether it is worth playing even after it is free is still up in the air. I know a lot of people are willing to makes all sorts of outrageous claims about the game, foolish though they are, theyre exactly what ZOS wants from that core focus group. Milk them for as long as they can with subs and cash shop stuff that isnt too obvious, then when the game is worth playing they switch to a buy to play or free to play model and blow out the cash shop to let people catch up, release a 'major' update (probably housing) and rake in the big bucks.

The one thing I will say is that ZoS seems to at least have a little bit of ethics because theyre extended subs stop at 6 months, so theyre not locking in people for a year when they know the game is more than likely going to be free before then.

I have't read such a conspirational pile of crap for a long time...  You must be a really nice chap to know in the real world if you're that jaded and cynical.   Grand assumptions and wild guesses just like the blog this thread is about.

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Originally posted by HabitualFrogStomp
    Originally posted by KaosProphet

From the way I heard it all he's been doing for awhile is knocking back any of his own community members who dont agree with his views. And that was before this whole I quit thing started. That's like running a Dayz or Battlefield server, advertising yourself as all legit and just a group of people who love the game, then suddenly becoming an asshole and kicking everyone who has the audacity to kill you. Good riddance to bad rubbish.

My view is people like that that need to sort of be involved in something that is niche or a small community where they can have some measure of control over whats going on, which was pretty much the case in beta. But live was right around the corner, he noticed that he had no pull and the development cycle was turning against him, so it fried one of his circuits and he quit. He was never gonna last on live anyways most likely, not with that kinda attitude.

There will be lots of members in the ESO community who will become respected over time and have maybe a little more pull in the community than others. Either through PVP success or running an important guild or what have you. These beta guys are gonna work 10 times harder in live because obviously the pond is bigger. More than likely you'll never hear about most of them ever again.

Indeed, the week before launch is the last opportunity for a "veteran closed-beta tester" to leverage their "special status" with regards to the game.

Once the game launches, the former "privileged" closed-beta testers are swimming in the same pool as everyone else. Nobody hangs on their lips hoping for pearls of wisdom and insight regarding a game only they have full access to. Their "power" is lost.

These former closed-beta testers will still have the advantage of having had months of experience with the game systems. However, the rest of the population will close the gap at a rapid rate, so that advantage will vanish rapidly.

After launch, your "prominence in the community" will be determined by your play skill, leadership qualities or distinctive personality, not by the fact that you belong to a small group of priviliged closed-beta testers.