Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

1st Wildstar Beta

2»

Comments

• Deerhunter71Deerhunter71 Member Posts: 527
    Originally posted by Nitth

Originally posted by MorningStarGG
    I was under the impression those would not be in this beta. I stand corrected. However it is more than obvious the person does not like "themepark" games. They even admit it, yet they try a game which is unashamedly and unapologetically a "themepark" game. I just don't understand why people do that...

Don't try to discredit me, My observations are still valid.

But like others have said, they were preaching that they were going to be different. they arnt.

This right there and exactly what I highlighted in my post.  They hyped their game how different it was and I honestly feel they tried to hype the "Paths" as sort of sandboxy (just my opinion) and they are nothing but more themepark, grind quests.

• MorningStarGGMorningStarGG Member UncommonPosts: 394

you clearly want an open-world, open-ended MMO and clearly this was never meant to appeal to you. I don't care how many "themeparks" you play, chances are you hate one you will hate them all.

WOW... Guess you know me better than i know my self?
    When did i ever say i hate themeparks?, I said i'm not overly keen on them.

It doesn't actually matter what you say though, I know what i like to play, wildstar is fun to play but i have certain issues with it.

"Overly keen" - means - "I don't like themeparks". Hate/dislike, two sides of the same coin and a very fine line between them. Everyone is getting an idea what you don't like to play "themeparks" being what you don't like to play. Your issues with WildStar are the same, or similar issues you have with all "themeparks", you don't get total freedom, you have to follow a set path through the game, and it's not "open". Sadly that is what "themeparks" are and that will not change.

Owner/Admin of GodlessGamer.com - Gaming news and reviews for the godless.

• Charlie12202Charlie12202 Member UncommonPosts: 32

Thank you all for the responses! But I must say please keep it nice :D

As for my statement of it feeling like Guild Wars 2, what I mean by that is the; completion areas, the quest, and the system in general/some parts of the UI*. **IM TALKING PRE LIVING STORY GUILD WARS 2. Grinding quest, map completion, etc. Not that I have anything against that but I just feel as if I have seen all of this before. I hope that makes better sense. 

I got to about level 8 while playing a Esper and I thought it was fun! I think the story line is great in the beginning but I think its just  a little cut and dry press "F" and move forward. That is the same thing I saw in Guild Wars 2. Also the quest grinding is something that I think turned me off also because I was hoping to enter instances with other people and do a mission or a quest. But hey, I haven't reached higher levels so I don't know what the end game content is like. 

It kind of feelsl ike I'm 8 again playing Buzz Lightyear? :S 

• eldariseldaris Member UncommonPosts: 353

I was interested in TESO and going to avoid Wildstar because of end game raiding. After playing both (and some last minute changes from TESO developers), I am much more interested in Wildstar than before. I like the combat,the world and classes, nice to see different classes again instead of any class can choose any skill/weapon (fun in single player games,not so much in mmorpgs).Direct heals instead of aoe is another thing I liked. The game is not perfect, quest quality is so and so, music is nothing great for now and I will probably hate the end game if is all about raiding but if nothing changes (like some grind after lv 17 caused by lack of quests ) I will buy the game,if only to support one of the few new games with a more open world and a traditional healing class.

• MamasGunMamasGun Member Posts: 152
    Originally posted by hikaru77
    Originally posted by Charlie12202

This is my first WildStar beta and I have been following this game for a long time so when I finally got a beta key I was ecstatic!

Sadly, I feel like it's Guild Wars 2 but with different graphics.

I'm still undecided about whether or not I am going to buy it but I got to level 8 today and just was completely bored out of my mind.

Anyone else feel this way?

Pretty much everyone who had played the beta except for the people who like WoW, literally. 

I loathe WoW but enjoy Wildstar.  I've always thought WoW to be boring an mundane.  It's like a big 3-d version of Rock, paper, Scissors.  To me, at least.

Loves: SMITE, WildStar, Project Zomboid, PSO2, DCUO,

Worst Online Communities: WoW/WoD(the OG MMO Trolls), DayZ/WarZ, SMITE/LoL/DOTA, EVE Online, APB
    "I’m ready for
    All the comparisons
    I think it’s dumb and it’s embarrassing
    I’m switching off
    No longer listening
    I’ve had enough of persecution and conditioning
    Maybe it’s instinct- We’re only animal"
    - Lily Allen, Sheezus

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by MorningStarGG you clearly want an open-world, open-ended MMO and clearly this was never meant to appeal to you. I don't care how many "themeparks" you play, chances are you hate one you will hate them all.
      WOW... Guess you know me better than i know my self? When did i ever say i hate themeparks?, I said i'm not overly keen on them. It doesn't actually matter what you say though, I know what i like to play, wildstar is fun to play but i have certain issues with it.
    "Overly keen" - means - "I don't like themeparks". Hate/dislike, two sides of the same coin and a very fine line between them. Everyone is getting an idea what you don't like to play "themeparks" being what you don't like to play. Your issues with WildStar are the same, or similar issues you have with all "themeparks", you don't get total freedom, you have to follow a set path through the game, and it's not "open". Sadly that is what "themeparks" are and that will not change.

i'm going to spell this out for you, I DONT HATE THEMEPARKS.
    And for some reason your assuming i must like/priase saidbox design with the references to "Open". When the truth is in today's world we can have the best of both worlds.

Give me a wildstar with a group oriented design that is not quest hub to quest hub (linear zones are fine) because i really fucking enjoy paying for a massively mulitplayer game that i spend 90% of my time alone doing quests in. Quests which usually consist of killing 1000 chuna or turning off poison sprinklers or other meaningless and forgettable experiences.

Give me the ability to progress my character outside (or in-conjunction with) a gear treadmill.

Give me a wildstar that has a housing system where anyone can come freely and see my Characters (not an account) estate.

Give me a wildstar that actually has some substantial pvp instead of spamming buttons all over the place.

its not that much to ask for, they said they were going to be different, They said they were going to improve on the themepark design.

I expected better And it doesnt make me anti-themepark for wanting it!

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• For some strange reason the game performs so poorly on my system I gave up after a few minutes. Will try again next beta if there is one to see if that changes.

• AvulAvul Member Posts: 196

I was in the closed beta for a long time and hopped on the train for this beta weekend again. My characters are lvl 50 (Engineer), lvl 24 (Stalker) and lvl 14 (Medic). All I can say is that WildStar is my biggest disappointment of the last 5 years of MMOs. Not even SW:TOR was that bad.. compared to my expectations.

I just had fun between lvl 10 and lvl 20 because the game opened up a bit and the massive quest grind (which starts around lvl 20) wasn't there yet. Dungeons are fun and housing is pretty neat but the rest is just bland and repetitive. The story didn't appeal to me after all and even the fun combat system is getting old very quickly. For me the game feels "soulless". Like a MOBA-like clone of World of Warcraft.. with not much creativity. The paths are absolutely not as good as they seemed to be. Carbine's marketing videos in general were the best I've ever seen.. but in reality it's just a boring "been there, done that before"-MMO.

I would be surprised if this game won't go f2p after a year or sooner. Maybe they will do it and get around 200k-250k subscribers. But I won't be one of them. Sorry!

Elite: Dangerous - Space Exploration & Trading.

• seafirexseafirex Member UncommonPosts: 419

Yes it is true that it is like vanilla wow, ( takes a long time to level ) :) that is the reason a mmorpg is a mmorpg.

Other said earlier party up with someone else if possible and it is true if you solo you are going to have a hard time in certain situation. It is solo friendly but not to the point you can solo all the way to 50 the easy way. Keywords : easy way.

Professions gives you xp. example mining = each nodes you farm gets you xp but you can also take plants when you have mining = more xp.

If explorer on top of this you have a chance to find hidden cave while mining that gives you a crap load of mines to farm inside of them with lots of xp.

Another thing about telegraph . You don't like them well go in control panel and disable them for you or for others or even for mobs or all of them at once. = becomes very hard mode WS.

PvP i did not try it yet to be honest i had too much of a blast solo quests and doing the explorer stuff.

1 example the first quest for the first dungeons at 17 mind you not 20. And that is a few weeks ago i did that. I found this tunnel under water and after going in there a women there handed me a quest to disable monitors she said need 4 more to do it so 5 players total needed. i tried by myself and it works. ( took 4 attempts but success and you are changed in a little robot when you do that part of the chain quest) . Then i get another quest by her she request i go access a cube in another room. I get there and a very big rock boss is there ( remember 5 players needed for this chain quest ). 

First attempt got destroyed 3 hits. each hit takes 1/3 of my hp. grrrr

Res up get back in there. try again this time move out of the way for each it but at 15% of his hp he gets me down again.

Res back up again this time i knew his pattern each time he gets ready for his major strike i get 4 seconds to heal up so thats what i do without missing a single chance to do so the full fight and get him down finally. No major rewards except a acheivement and new title and finishing the quest and unlocking the dungeon by myself i was so happy.

I felt like doing the brawlers guild thing in wow.

All that to say it is not for everyone but if you like to do stuff by yourself you can. In group it is fun and rewarding also i should say rewards are greater regarding xp in groups. You can rp in this game also nothing weird about it not really different then doing it in wow as a undead or nelf or dwarf, orc, etc.  

But if you are looking for something easy to levelup and just play end game then not for you. End game will have lot's of stuff but in WS the leveling up is also a experience by itsef. 

• Alber_gamerAlber_gamer Member UncommonPosts: 588

I tried Wildstar during one beta weekend thanks to an Alienware Giveaway, and I saw Wildstar's levelling as a learning process where you get acquainted with the game's unforgiving combat mechanics, your class skills and the environment, and prepare for the real fun, that is in BGs and dungeons/raids.

Of course, that's my own view on it, but personally, I can't wait for the game to be released to get playing my Aurin Esper. I have already preordered, so I have access to the beta, but I'm not playing it anymore to not spoil my fun in the least when the game is finally out. 

My opinion is my own. I respect all other opinions and views equally, but keep in mind that my opinion will always be the best for me. That's why it's my opinion.

• AvulAvul Member Posts: 196
    Originally posted by seafirex

1. Yes it is true that it is like vanilla wow, ( takes a long time to level ) :) that is the reason a mmorpg is a mmorpg.

2. Professions gives you xp. example mining = each nodes you farm gets you xp but you can also take plants when you have mining = more xp.

3. Another thing about telegraph . You don't like them well go in control panel and disable them for you or for others or even for mobs or all of them at once. = becomes very hard mode WS.

4. All that to say it is not for everyone but if you like to do stuff by yourself you can. In group it is fun and rewarding also i should say rewards are greater regarding xp in groups.

I'll have to comment on these points because they're simply not true.

1. It doesn't take a long time to level. If you want to experience a slow progression play ESO. WildStar in comparison is pretty fast. The official statement of Carbine ("you will need 150-200 hours to get to max level") is bullshit. It took me around 90 hours to get there and I didn't even try to speed run through the content. I did a lot of dungeons and housing stuff. There are some areas which let you level pretty fast.. for example between lvl 30-38. I made it from 32 to 38 in a single day with some rest XP. It just feels long because killing is tedious in this game. Mobs are pretty beefy.

2. Professions are giving path XP not level XP. This is a huge difference. You can't level up through paths.. it's just a side mission for "fun". You get 3-4 perks per path, certain titles for your character and some mount customization addons. That's it. edit: Okey I mixed paths and professions. But professions also aren't giving level experience so it makes no difference. You're just leveling up your profession not your character.

3. Yes, there is an option to turn them off. But seriously.. if you do so for enemy telegraphs.. you're either a newb or a maniac because it makes no sense at all. The "white damage chunks" are so huge that you can't take the risk to stand in every red telegraph. You will die sooner or later. The whole combat system relies on that. Turning it off isn't a viable option.

4. Playing in groups is fucked up right at the moment. They're planning to fix it but so far it's a mess. You get lousy XP rates (1-2% per Mob) so it's hilarious for a tank or a healer who isn't doing much damage. It's slightly more fun than leveling alone but far away from being an enjoyable questing experience. It's not as rewarding as you're saying.

Elite: Dangerous - Space Exploration & Trading.

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Originally posted by hikaru77
    Originally posted by Charlie12202

This is my first WildStar beta and I have been following this game for a long time so when I finally got a beta key I was ecstatic!

Sadly, I feel like it's Guild Wars 2 but with different graphics.

I'm still undecided about whether or not I am going to buy it but I got to level 8 today and just was completely bored out of my mind.

Anyone else feel this way?

Pretty much everyone who had played the beta except for the people who like WoW, literally

If that's true, it looks like Wildstar will be the second most popular game in the western MMO market then ? image

• FusionFusion Member UncommonPosts: 1,398

I was also somewhat hopeful, going into the first beta weekend (a month ago), but after about 15ish hours, i could not but find the familiarity from WoW and GW2 combat overly oozing (bash me for the comparisons, i care not).

Quests were just what we've come to know from WoW and similar quest hub-to-hub games, where the instead of killing X/X amount of things, picking up X/X amount of things the exact numerical progress was hidden behind a %-progress bar.

Quest givers (your average exclamation marks) only spoke the basic "hello you" when you clicked them, and then it was a few windows of text, which made me utterly uninterested in the entire quest-lore all together.

I found the scientist path to be very disappointing (scan this flora, scan this fauna, "hack" this broken down droid)

Combat felt exactly like GW2, most attacks were in some form of conal? pattern (on the warrior) and you kept looking on the ground for red-things.

Graphics were nice, if you can bare with the art-style, but they were far too flashy for my liking.. it was like 4th of july times 1000 on the screen constantly.. to the point of nausea.

The game has a lot! of funny quips and humour, couple of times i even burst out laughing of some random stuff i encoutered.

All in all, people will come to like it and some won't, i'm one of the latter, mostly for the points i pointed out and the fact that it's just too damned "familiar".. i need something fresh.

http://neocron-game.com/ - now totally F2P no cash-shops or micro transactions at all.
  • TenkouseiTenkousei Member UncommonPosts: 114

I had a quick go at my first beta yesterday. Stopped after 1h or so. I'm a big fan of TERA-like action combat. In that game, hitting a mob gave a sense of "impact". You really had the feeling you were hurting the damn thing. I don't have that in WS. It just feels like i'm hitting air and somehow mobs die. It doesn't feel like my attacks "connect". The combat feels to GW2-sy to me. I know it looks like a pittyful argument, but having a sense of impact is really important afaic.

To give you an example of the above: early in the aurin starter zone, you need to go down to a garden that is infiltrated by the Chua. You kill some Chua, save some plants etc etc. That part ends with you getting a quest to go and kill a robot. I Sneak up behind the damn thing, start whacking away at it but the robot barely gives a hint of being hit. The only indication you ever get is that you see damage numbers on your screen and you see his HP going down. He doesn't flinch, barely makes a sound, ... he just stands there doing his own animations whilst you're taking him down. It doesn't feel like you're actually hitting him.

Secondly, there's the "everything is going on at the same time". I played a stalker and chose the soldier path. But instead of being slowly introduced to your class first, you get the whole path + normal questing shoved in your face from the get go. I prefer a slower pace and not everything at the same time.

I'll give the game another go later today. Hopefully, getting a little further will improve the experience.

• GuyClinchGuyClinch Member CommonPosts: 485

Its not like GW2 - GW2 is very open worldish if you get the hang of it. You can run around anywhere and do anything..and get experience for everything you do. Its like WoW - but WoW with much better combat. It's a cross between ratchet and clank and WoW.

Its a very impressive game - lots of fun with a good sense of humour. Its extremely themeparking and console like - much like Ratchet and Clank though. So for some people that's a problem - but I always loved Ratchet and Clank. That kind of gameplay in an MMO is truly impressive. I can't hate on them..