Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2: New Stat, "Ferocity", to Affect Critical Damage

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

ArenaNet's Roy Cronacher has penned the next in a series of articles designed to show Guild Wars 2 players the changes coming to the game with the next update in late April. The update will see enhancements and rebalancing of many of the game's features including, in this case, Critical Damage with the addition of a new stat, 'ferocity'.

Ferocity will function very similarly to precision; both influence another stat. Just like your critical hit chance will go up as your precision increases, your bonus critical damage go up as you put more points into ferocity. As a result, critical damage will be displayed in manner that is consistent with the main stats on gear and skills, rather than just as a flat percentage.

All armors and weapons that currently provide a critical damage bonus will be updated to provide an equivalent amount of ferocity. As a bonus, you’ll notice that using ferocity as a stat is going to normalize critical damage across items so there isn’t a single item that’s clearly the best to equip for a critical damage boost. Areas such as trait lines, traits, and skills which provide critical damage have been rebalanced individually.

Read Cronacher's full post on the Guild Wars 2 blog.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    Not sure why this change is necessary but I suppose I am missing something here.
  • Sajman01Sajman01 Member Posts: 204
    You're not missing anything.

They are just trying to slow down the game.
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    I can only see the five signet warrior benefiting from this new stat

• tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001
    It's just changing critical damage to work similar as the other stats. Previously it was possible to increase critical damage linearly without any soft or hard limits, making it the most important stat for many DPS builds.
  • jdizzle2k13jdizzle2k13 Member UncommonPosts: 251
    Originally posted by Sajman01

That may or may not be a bad thing.  I really don't like the game being mostly a dps zerg fest, aa I like to play healing/survival/support builds in games, so I don't mind the decrease in overall damage.  However, they may alienate some people who aren't support players, who instead like the way the game is and like rushing through everything.

I think for the most part people are still going to play the builds they want to play, they may just be a tad bit less (or more) effective.

• VeryDustyVeryDusty Member Posts: 53
    Originally posted by Sajman01

Nope - not true at all. As tom_gore said, it is to make Critical damage as linear as all the other traits. Also, to have a cap which is more realistic.

The best DPS builds before, will still be best DPS builds after.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by jdizzle2k13

they may alienate some people who aren't support players, who instead like the way the game is and like rushing through everything.

Well I say good to that.  I hate seeing LFG parties that say ZERK ONLY.  I figured I'd never have to worry about being left out in GW2, but people being the real problem, it was bound to happen.