Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Preview] ArcheAge: It Only Does Everything™

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

One of the privileges of checking out an overseas game in its early stages of localization is the potential to view a highly polished gameplay experience, with the wide-eyed wonder that comes along with not knowing quite how anything works.  This experience pretty much sums up Bill’s and my previews of ArcheAge, the upcoming sandbox MMORPG from Trion Worlds and XLGames, at Games Developers Conference this past week.

Read more of Som Pourfarzaneh's ArcheAge: It Only Does Everything™.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465
    I'll believe it when I see it! (TM)
  • Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Does it do highly engaging combat?
  • AlalalaAlalala Member UncommonPosts: 314
    Excited for this game, as we finally are seeing some hope for new game mechanics (e.g., pirating) in year that seemed to be headed to more of the same MMOS (looking at you, ESO and WS). Where can I sign up for English alpha testing, lol.
  • CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505
    Originally posted by Eir_S

the tab target system works well, its a got a few extras than your standard wow system.. but if you are looking for action combat then this is not the game you wnat to play.

• MrBum21MrBum21 Member UncommonPosts: 405
    I'll buy that for a dollar! !

the missing link in a chain of destruction.

All spelling and typographical errors are based soely on the fact that i just dont care. If you must point out my lack of atention to detail, please do it with a smile.

• galjingaljin Member UncommonPosts: 15

Polished gameplay experience? way too polished i think, i'd call it eroded. It was polished 2 years ago, now its just annoyingly late. 

You want polished gameplay experience? Then let us play and get some experience so you can see by yourself and not just a handful of random people with "rights". Or you really thought there would be some good beta testers within the families of the devs?

• TbauTbau Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 401

Game itself seems great but I can no longer support Trion in anything they do until Glyph is changed to being optional and not include distributing and monetizing indie developer games. Supporting Trion in taking money from indie companies and placing indie companies under the reliance of another larger company.

You can see the mad scramble by the industry to try to contain the indie growth being seen over the last 2 years and the influx of upcoming launchers like Glyph, ARC and with EA moving forward to make Origin more like steam with all of them offering Indie companies support IF they give them money for distribution or if they use the companies charging systems, all offerings that take money from the indie companies and gives it to the bigger guy.

Its a grab to maintain control over the industry and the platforms shouldn't be supported by anyone that wants the indie industry to grow and remain free from big companies.

• WightyWighty Member UncommonPosts: 699

The Russian beta was horribly crippled if you didn''t sub... Managing labor points in itself on such a craft heavy game was miserable...

I managed to join the English speaking guild and people were begging each other to use labor points to refine some ores and materials so they could craft items.

I certainly hope Trion has a way to overcome this, considering they too are following the F2P model, But monetizing something so critical to the gameplay is a really crap way of doing it.

Disclaimer: I am only speaking of my short experience in the Russian Beta which I no longer have access to. I have no idea what Trions plans are with this title other than they stated it would release in 2014.

What are your other Hobbies?

Gaming is Dirt Cheap compared to this...

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646
    Originally posted by Wighty

The Russian beta was horribly crippled if you didn''t sub... Managing labor points in itself on such a craft heavy game was miserable...

I managed to join the English speaking guild and people were begging each other to use labor points to refine some ores and materials so they could craft items.

I certainly hope Trion has a way to overcome this, considering they too are following the F2P model, But monetizing something so critical to the gameplay is a really crap way of doing it.

Disclaimer: I am only speaking of my short experience in the Russian Beta which I no longer have access to. I have no idea what Trions plans are with this title other than they stated it would release in 2014.

The solution is to sub then! =D

F2P'ers get the whole game .. well perhaps, I'm not sure if Trion's version will let F2P folk own land.   But important to note, they can't do everything as fast as subscribers.  And even for subscribers, stuff can be slow .. if you want it all and want in naow!, it's not happening.

Would it have been better if Trion slowed down everything else instead for F2P'ers .. like xp, crafting, harvesting, mount speed, glider speed, loot table % drops, .. put stiff currency caps, inventory caps, etc?

I like F2P for demo purposes, or just for occasional play.  But support what you like, and if a F2P game means something to you, show the industry with your wallet.

btw: from an interview a few days ago, Trion hinted that F2P will get a generous amount of labor pts, whatever that will mean.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• iridescenceiridescence Member UncommonPosts: 1,552
    Originally posted by Tbau

You can see the mad scramble by the industry to try to contain the indie growth being seen over the last 2 years and the influx of upcoming launchers like Glyph, ARC and with EA moving forward to make Origin more like steam with all of them offering Indie companies support IF they give them money for distribution or if they use the companies charging systems, all offerings that take money from the indie companies and gives it to the bigger guy.

Marketing and distribution are always big challenges for indies. Sevices like this  actually help indie games a lot. There is nothing forcing indie games on to Steam but they all want to be there because good luck selling your game from your personal website and getting people to hear about it. But Steam does have a scarily big market share so more competition for it is only a good thing both for devsand consumers

It's a win-win situation.

Re ArchAge: I quite enjoyed my experience in Russian beta despite the fact that the starter quests are horribly linear (as bad as Tera) the game does start to open up a bit fairly quickly and the graphics are gorgeous. Looking forward to trying English version.

• WightyWighty Member UncommonPosts: 699
    Originally posted by Karteli
    Originally posted by Wighty

btw: from an interview a few days ago, Trion hinted that F2P will get a generous amount of labor pts, whatever that will mean.

Oh I agree... I just wasn't able to because:

1) I don't know Russina

2) I wouldn't know where to start if I did LOL!

I am dead set against F2P games... However that doesn't take away the fact that monetizing such a critical mechanic isn't a shitty way of doing it...

Imagine a PvP game that monetized  $.01 every time you swung a weapon.... Actually it may work:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZrFVtmRXrw

What are your other Hobbies?

Gaming is Dirt Cheap compared to this...

• TbauTbau Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 401
    Originally posted by Karteli

F2P'ers get the whole game .. well perhaps, I'm not sure if Trion's version will let F2P folk own land.   But important to note, they can't do everything as fast as subscribers.  And even for subscribers, stuff can be slow .. if you want it all and want in naow!, it's not happening.

Part of the outrage was the fact that it was not the case before the patch. Labor points was its own thing and didn't slow things down. The game had a heavily crafting leaning and was one of the best aspects of the game. Those into crafting may be better off with the Japanese version of the game, that's a major change they are working on keeping out of their version.

After all, they want to stay sub only so why implement something meant to handicap F2Pers.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

That imo belongs to and always will be a FFXI trait.

If you notice new games are streamlining combat down to spamming the same few hotbar keys,not very fun or interactive.

I feel AA is as the title says ,it does everything which is what msot other games cannot claim,this is what entials carrying the title of TRIPLE A game.

Now having said that,it won't live up to it's high expectations,graphics could be better but ok and PVE si the same old.

Where the game shines is pvp and the added feature of having ALL content under one roof.

There is some pet peeves in the game that i don't like and the class/character setup is one i would have done better or at least differently.I am however extremely biased toward FFXI's sub class design,imo it is the best,should be copied and improved,not ignored.

OK you know my fave game design of all time is FFXI but if i was to rate games ,NONE would top the 7/10 no way no how,too much ceiling room for improvement.However i would give AA a very close  7/10 because it does cover al lbases and does not dip into that cartoon playhouse design with low budget graphics.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

Originally posted by Caldrin

the tab target system works well, its a got a few extras than your standard wow system.. but if you are looking for action combat then this is not the game you wnat to play.

It doesn't have to be "action combat" to be highly engaging to me.  For example, Tera's combat is so boring it makes me want to cry (though I ALWAYS support the ability to actively block attacks).  I do like WoW's combat generally so if AA's is as smooth then that's a plus.  I was one of the people that originally got excited about this game (before I joined these forums), so I'd like to see that I wasn't totally off.  Combat is just a big part of the MMO experience for me.  I'm glad the game offers so much extra, but I want to know that when I just want to bash heads in, it won't be a dull time.  Maybe I should hop on this Russian beta thing.

EDIT: forget this noise.  Tried signing up, got errors relating to my region.  I'm not going to go looking for VPN software to play a beta. 

• endersonsaviaendersonsavia Member UncommonPosts: 3
    I play russian version too , labor points work good for Subs 1 min per point and get offline , if you are F2p 5 min per point and so get point only online  but dont interfere end game
  • BacchiraBacchira Member Posts: 50

"Early stages of localization" you say eh?

:(

• zzaxzzax Member UncommonPosts: 324

What are the extras over the standard system? I kinda like the good old wow combat, but would like to know what I should expect from here?

• simsalabim77simsalabim77 Member RarePosts: 1,607
    I was excited for this game, but I've lost a lot of confidence in Trion to get things done ever since the Defiance fiasco. 
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

is there a block button?

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
    Originally posted by bcbully

is there a block button?

I'd love that, but I doubt it from what I've seen.  :(  It's one of the problems I have with GW2 guardian combat.

• JabasJabas Member UncommonPosts: 1,249

Just watch the live stream and this game really needs to be release here, i want to play the game to see if is good like it looks to my eyes.

Theres alot of intersting features there, just need to see if all are well connected.

• EcocesEcoces Member UncommonPosts: 879

thats a shame you think games would have evolved past the WoW Tab targeting system.

• goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141
    Originally posted by Tbau

Game itself seems great but I can no longer support Trion in anything they do until Glyph is changed to being optional and not include distributing and monetizing indie developer games. Supporting Trion in taking money from indie companies and placing indie companies under the reliance of another larger company.

Its a grab to maintain control over the industry and the platforms shouldn't be supported by anyone that wants the indie industry to grow and remain free from big companies.

So where are these indies going to find a stable and secure distribution system with a built in customer base for "free"?  They wont, so services like this help both the indie and consumer.  Are you one of those "the man" is keeping the little guy down people? 

Watch out for THE MAN he will eat your children!!!

• MaquiameMaquiame Member UncommonPosts: 1,073

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-x7mTmDuAF4

*Screams like a girl after watching this today and cries*

YES

YES

YES!!!!!

Any mmo worth its salt should be like a good prostitute when it comes to its game world- One hell of a faker, and a damn good shaker!

• PsyMike3dPsyMike3d Member UncommonPosts: 388
    after i played Wildstar beta, Archeage is no longer my priority :/