Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How they Butchered the starting experience of all future players.

Comments

• MachkeznhoMachkeznho Member UncommonPosts: 424
    Originally posted by Zegaloth
    Originally posted by jdlamson75
    Originally posted by Datastar
    Im just saying they butchered the experience for me and many many more, i have several friends who participated in that last beta for the first time and wont touch this game after that.  It made me look like a fool to them for recommending this title to them based on prior play sessions i had.  Are they addressing the broken quests yes, are they making the starting islands easier to get to from the city yes, but did they fix the flow and continuity the game previously had at the start hell no.

Your friends won't play because the tutorial isn't the best?  The tutorial area?  The part that equals out to be less than 1% of what they'll see should they decide to play on?  Tutorial zone?  Tutorial?  We talkin' 'bout tutorial, man.  Tutorial.  It's a tutorial.

He isn't even really talking about the tutorial zone. He is talking about 3 or 4 lines of dialogue. God forbid that they make a change in beta, and mess up a part of it.

Link to your forum and reddit posts that you made then. I am not going to put forth effort into supporting your cause if all you can provide is that you and "Many" others don't like it. I doubt that the "Many" you claim are even close to the majority.

http://forums.bethsoft.com/topic/1495176-about-the-skip-the-starting-zone/

http://forums.bethsoft.com/topic/1495934-starter-islands-the-continuing-saga/

ZOS_MattFin 

[–]3 points 

ago
    • Welcome to the ESO AMA! by elderscrollsonline

Ryzengar 

My question is: Why was the starter islands removed as a default location to go to after you escape the prison despite all of the negative feedback received? I for one sorely dislike the new starting experience in its current iteration and would like clarification on how we can expect our starting experience to be at Early Access as my pre-order at this point is questionable to me.

As requested
  • SirBalinSirBalin Member UncommonPosts: 1,300
    What's it matter, you don't have to opt out..the people like me that could care less about lore skip it...those that do care about it don't...whats the problem?

Incognito
    www.incognito-gaming.us
    "You're either with us or against us"

• Skeeter50Skeeter50 Member UncommonPosts: 147
    Note to ZOS: Make and play YOUR game. The vocal minority is a danger to all developers.
  • HokieHokie Member UncommonPosts: 1,063

I have to agree with you Datastar. I seen no reason to eliminate the starter islands. The game didnt magically open up at the starter cities. As a matter of fact it felt grindy. I didnt have that great of armor and it wasnt that fun without the weapon skills and weapon unlocks that I got from doing the starter island.

I think it was a stupid choice. I didnt know I could go back to the starter island till I accidentally ran across and NPC who offered to take me there.

The starter islands are better structured for new characters. They give you a chance to try out different weapons and skills at a better set pace.

Its not where youre at that makes the game feel open, its about level 9 to 10 when more play options become unlocked that it feels more "open" like Skyrim or Oblivion.

I think they are doing a disservice to new customers, and shooting themselves in the nutz at the same time by making the starting islands optional.

If they are going to stick with the bad advice then there should be an option with a description after a player leaves Cold Harbor that says something like.

"Welcome to the Elder Scrolls Online."

"You have two starting area choices. The starting island, or your factions capital city."

"We recommend as a new player, or a returning player, you travel to the starting island. The game was designed to introduce you to the world of Tamriel though this starting area by giving you a more structured leveling experience. It was designed to introduce you to group dungeons while equipping your character in better gear, gold, crafting supplies, and recipes. Along with introducing you to the overall storyline of the game."

"We only recommend you travel to the faction city if you have a guild (or another character) that will equip and support you till roughly level 12. Playing without this support may make for an unenjoyable first few levels and gaming experience."

"I understand that if I hear any more words come pouring out of your **** mouth, Ill have to eat every fucking chicken in this room."

• GeridenGeriden Member UncommonPosts: 390

Yea wasnt a huge fan of the starting zones myself, and well the game in general but it does have a lot of fans.

But in the last beta i started a different faction and was totally confused about where i was, Now i dont get why they didnt just keep it the same but have a npc by the harbour or some where where you can just ask to leave the island instead of plopping you in the starting city. I just dont get zenimax they seem to just make stupid moves all over the place.

• CazNeergCazNeerg Member Posts: 2,198
    Originally posted by Mardukk
    OP, your friends are willing to quit an MMO because the story is a bit disjointed?  Why are they playing MMO's for the "story" anyway, I thought single player games and books were for telling stories.

MMORPG, not just MMO.  Lots of people play RPGs for the story.  Quitting over it is stupid, since the content is still there and you just have to click on one extra NPC to get back to it, but the way they are doing it is poorly thought out, and does break the flow of the narrative.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
    Through passion, I gain strength.
    Through strength, I gain power.
    Through power, I gain victory.
    Through victory, my chains are broken.
    The Force shall free me.

Originally posted by Zegaloth
    Thanks for posting to your other threads.

You are quite welcome, alot to read there, i may not be the best public speaker but there are many who word it much better than I in those posts.

• orionblackorionblack Member UncommonPosts: 493
    thats not a fix its a bandaid thats falling off if you havent participated in the last few beta's you wouldnt understand.

I guess you haven't been reading other peoples thoughts prior to this, but the reason they did this is because apparently the starter islands were to tedious for the new generation of players to bother with, hence why they put in the new quest npc to go back to the islands. Blame the people who didn't have patience to spend 20-30 mins to get off the island.

• KnotwoodKnotwood Member CommonPosts: 1,103

Yeah, I'm with the OP on this one, I looked everywhere for the quest to take me back to starter islands, and none was to be found or hinted at anywhere.

However I really did enjoy the option to go anywhere in the main starting city,  So I would like it if they gave me a quest that allows me to go to starter zones from the very start, but not cut me off from the main city either.

Originally posted by Knotwood

Yeah, I'm with the OP on this one, I looked everywhere for the quest to take me back to starter islands, and none was to be found or hinted at anywhere.

However I really did enjoy the option to go anywhere in the main starting city,  So I would like it if they gave me a quest that allows me to go to starter zones from the very start, but not cut me off from the main city either.

Like ive been saying all along it isnt the fact that they gave the option to skip the islands its the way in which they did it, it was sudden, broken, and not new player friendly.  If they are willing to completely change their vision on a dime it paints a scary picture for the future of this game.  What happens when someone complains that xp is to slow or that the game is to hard are they going to nerf those too, its less about the islands and more about the principal of the matter.  There is a smart way to accomplish things and a not so smart way and they choose the latter with this one.

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

Yeah, I'm with the OP on this one, I looked everywhere for the quest to take me back to starter islands, and none was to be found or hinted at anywhere. However I really did enjoy the option to go anywhere in the main starting city,  So I would like it if they gave me a quest that allows me to go to starter zones from the very start, but not cut me off from the main city either.

it was the first quest you get actually but some people apparently did get confused where to get it and that's why they put the quest giver right where you spawn in the latest patch notes.

i also agree with the OP that it is better to give the option to leave but this guy now doesn't want to play because of it?

HILARIOUS!

Originally posted by baphamet

it was the first quest you get actually but some people apparently did get confused where to get it and that's why they put the quest giver right where you spawn in the latest patch notes.

i also agree with the OP that it is better to give the option to leave but this guy now doesn't want to play because of it?

HILARIOUS!

Oh im still going to play, im just not going to enjoy it as much as i could have.

• DerrosDerros Member UncommonPosts: 1,216
    Dear God, a little suspension of disbelief is all it takes.  Maybe land on the island with an option to skip would be better but whatever.  Ill do the starter island and it will be fine.
  • Righteous_RockRighteous_Rock Member RarePosts: 1,234
    holy crap - give it a break already man - just let them get burned the hard way. They will wisen up and learn that way. ESO is about to burn the wallets of about 2 million people, that's 2 more million educated people that will spend their money more wisely. It's also a pool of people that will become very discouraged with mmorpg's and probably never play one again.

Originally posted by baphamet   Originally posted by Knotwood Yeah, I'm with the OP on this one, I looked everywhere for the quest to take me back to starter islands, and none was to be found or hinted at anywhere.     However I really did enjoy the option to go anywhere in the main starting city,  So I would like it if they gave me a quest that allows me to go to starter zones from the very start, but not cut me off from the main city either.
      it was the first quest you get actually but some people apparently did get confused where to get it and that's why they put the quest giver right where you spawn in the latest patch notes. i also agree with the OP that it is better to give the option to leave but this guy now doesn't want to play because of it? HILARIOUS!
    Oh im still going to play, im just not going to enjoy it as much as i could have.

oh? i thought i read earlier you were going to cancel your pre-order, maybe i am wrong.

but let me ask you this. do you honestly think you will give a damn once you actually go back to the starter islands?

do you think.....lets say a month after launch, you will not be having as much fun because of that one quest you had to do to get to the starter islands your very first day in the game? honestly?

like i said, i'm not saying i disagree with you, but i think you are blowing it a little bit out of proportion.

unless you are making alts every day, this won't be a big deal for most. especially now that the NPC will be right by where you spawn after the tutorial, according to the recent patch notes.

• timidobservertimidobserver Member UncommonPosts: 246

I am always amazed by people acting like unimnportant issues are the most important thing in the world.I don't really care whether we start off in the city or in a tutorial. In the grand scheme of things, where you start the game at is unimportant. 

I can say that just being thrown into the game waking up in some random spot feels a bit more Elder Scrolls like, but it honestly doesn't matter to me. I would be happy with either approach. They need to stop wasting resources trying to satisfy people that complain about petty, small, simple stuff. 

• DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536

I personally hated feeling locked into the linear storyline quest and was glad to see there was a way around it for players who don't care.  I actually don't mind doing it once, but the feeling that I had no choice but to play thru an extended 3-6 hour storyline every time I created a new character was a horrible idea... which is why its changed.  Some people actually want to play MMOs to do multiplayer things, not trudge thru their cheesy storyline single player bullshiz.

Originally posted by Dullahan

I personally hated feeling locked into the linear storyline quest and was glad to see there was a way around it for players who don't care.  I actually don't mind doing it once, but the feeling that I had no choice but to play thru an extended 3-6 hour storyline every time I created a new character was a horrible idea... which is why its changed.  Some people actually want to play MMOs to do multiplayer things, not trudge thru their cheesy storyline single player bullshiz.

right and i respect that and completely support that but they could have handled it differently so that a player like me and a player like you can be equally satisfied instead they gave you what you wanted and took a giant crap on me.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

While I agree the pacing, sensibility as well as cohesiveness are important. I can't help but get a bit peeved people are still bringing it up; we saw what happened when we got what we wished for on this issue once already. When I say we I mean the player-base as a whole. This is what our peers were asking for and what we got in return.

This isn't a leave Zen alone! post. It's a plea to not have them alter the deal further. It's bad enough already.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• Mayor_HaggarMayor_Haggar Member Posts: 12
    Well, aside from all the buggy quests, what they have as the starting islands for the three main factions are sorry excuses for content. Plain and simple. It was crap and the gamers told Zenimax so. It looks bad that the devs had to reroute players around these starting experiences. That said, the rest of the game feels much better and Zenimax should feel proud of that content! I know they're not gonna remake the beginning part of the game but they can admit that it is pretty uninteresting. Funny that the very first piece of ESO we're introduced to is in no way an accurate reflection of the game's later content.
  • Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    It wasn't the vocal minority though. This was all from their feedback surveys. They said overwhelmingly people did not like being stuck on the island and felt it ruined the feel of openness elder scrolls games are known for.

Not saying I agree but that's why. Personally I'll probably explore a bit and then goto the island anyways and finish it.

• DragimDragim Member UncommonPosts: 867
    So if I skip the prison and starting island...do I get instantly leveled up to like level 5/6?  Or are people going to skip the starting areas then complain about the difficult of being a level 1?

I am entitled to my opinions, misspellings, and grammatical errors.

Originally posted by Righteous_Rock
    holy crap - give it a break already man - just let them get burned the hard way. They will wisen up and learn that way. ESO is about to burn the wallets of about 2 million people, that's 2 more million educated people that will spend their money more wisely. It's also a pool of people that will become very discouraged with mmorpg's and probably never play one again.

care to elaborate? so 2 million people will buy and all quit this game and being so frustrated they quit mmo's forever? am i reading that right? LOL

• rygard49rygard49 Member UncommonPosts: 973

You can thank the scores of pro "reviewers" who had no interest in following a story, and then wrote scathing articles about how boring the game is. What a surprise, many hardcore gamers don't like lengthy tutorials zones, and couldn't give two shits about the narrative.

The fix was unfortunately not well thought out by ZM. Instead, they should have started you on the beginning island and had an option from there to summarize the story and move on to the main city. Going backwards from the main city to the starter island makes... No. Fucking. Sense.

• CandombleCandomble Member UncommonPosts: 164

Do you know what I think they should butcher? Phasing problems. Those are real issues.

Starting islands? I was ok with how it was, I found them in last weekend, and I am going to start there. They moved your starting point, no need to imo, but I don't think there's any need to be very dramatic about it. Just take the boat.