Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Indie-Dev Focus Question: Fantasy, Sci-Fi, or Medieval?

BearKnightBearKnight Member CommonPosts: 461

So, in order to avoid the same fate of a previous thread where individuals misunderstood what I was asking/saying I'll try to cut these up into many threads that are sharply focused on a single idea.

It's simple, what type of MMO are you interested in seeing more of, or would be more likely to play? I ask because I've started seeing more and more posts about people complaining about see too much of "X" and not enough "Y" etc etc.

Note: I separated Medieval from Fantasy as they are not always tied to one another.

Thanks gang :)

Comments

• BearKnightBearKnight Member CommonPosts: 461
    Boop for more votes, seems this got buried from spam ;).
  • Vermillion_RaventhalVermillion_Raventhal Member EpicPosts: 4,198
    I would include western which is pretty much open right now.  Even if it was light fantasy.
  • PAL-18PAL-18 Member UncommonPosts: 844

It did not  matter in the past and does not matter now :>

I used to play Cyberpunk and RuneQuest and love them both-

In the end theres no golden road for MMOs ,just do what you love the most.

So, did ESO have a successful launch? Yes, yes it did.By Ryan Getchell on April 02, 2014.
    **On the radar: http://www.cyberpunk.net/ **

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    I'll play any game as long as it's good, but hardcore sci-fi like Star Citizen does not get my motor running.  I couldn't care less about having my own spaceship.
  • Flyte27Flyte27 Member RarePosts: 4,574
    I like fantasy like forgotten realms, dragonlance, and the hobbit.  I really enjoy the Knights of the Old Republic and Mass Effect games made by Bioware.  I'm not sure I like the more radical ideas like Wildstar.  The west is fine if it's like Red Dead Redemption.  I like western games that follow the spaghetti western mold.
  • IGaveUpIGaveUp Member Posts: 273

I prefer fantasy over medieval because the developer has more freedom for creativity, which in theory could return more interesting gameplay.

For me, gameplay is more important realism.

• hallucigenocidehallucigenocide Member RarePosts: 1,015

i voted for sci-fi but not as in flying around in space ships all day long that's getting old...

just something really futuristic and as far away from pointy ears and wizardy as you could possibly get :)

I had fun once, it was terrible.

• CavadusCavadus Member UncommonPosts: 707

Post-apocalyptic, yo!

Though I do prefer the science fiction post-apoc like Fallen Earth, Fallout, et cetera.

• AtrigoAtrigo Member Posts: 44

To many of the Sci-Fi games now are either shooter hybrids, RTS or space combat games. I really just would like a traditional Sci Fi MMO based on the ground.  SWTOR is good for what it is meant to be, although I consider that more Sci Fantasy. The Repop. has promise, although I am not much into PvP. Maybe something to the scale of what AA hops to be, but just Sci Fi. 

Oh and special mention for Super Hero MMOs. Really miss CoX. 

Originally posted by Atrigo

To many of the Sci-Fi games now are either shooter hybrids, RTS or space combat games. I really just would like a traditional Sci Fi MMO based on the ground.  SWTOR is good for what it is meant to be, although I consider that more Sci Fantasy. 

yes! my thoughts exactly... honestly i'd be happy with sci-fi version of WoW. i'm not looking for innovation. just take something that works and slap a new skin on it. 

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    What? No Steampunk?
  • nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by hallucigenocide

To many of the Sci-Fi games now are either shooter hybrids, RTS or space combat games. I really just would like a traditional Sci Fi MMO based on the ground.  SWTOR is good for what it is meant to be, although I consider that more Sci Fantasy. 

yes! my thoughts exactly... honestly i'd be happy with sci-fi version of WoW. i'm not looking for innovation. just take something that works and slap a new skin on it. 

marvel heroes .. not sci-fi .. but superhero .. probably close enough?

• LyrianLyrian Member UncommonPosts: 412
    I'd like to see a large amount of sci fi  MMOs. I'm on a big Sci Fi reading bend and I feel that there is a limitless amount of exploration that can be done with the genre, espectially with the rise of sandbox type MMOs now a days. I feel to an extent that the Fantasy Market has been oversaturated and it will take some for newer ideas to be refined and storylines to be tweaked. Right now I think it's a great time to delve into the Sci Fi and bust out the big things like space travel, aliens, comprehensive crafting, different planets, etc.
    Originally posted by nariusseldon
    Originally posted by hallucigenocide

marvel heroes .. not sci-fi .. but superhero .. probably close enough?

yeah i've played it allready.. defenitely my goto game when i want  diablo styled gameplay