Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sandboxy, Skillcentric, Multiplayer fun

kirak2009kirak2009 Member UncommonPosts: 543

Hey folks;

If you are looking for something to tweak your inner geek, May I recommend Therian Saga. New Multiplayer RPG  in open beta, that has alot of features.

Has a little bit of everything in it, reminds me alot of vanilla UO, tons of skills and professions. Gives you the ability to set tasks, so your character can still develop while you are away from the PC, Mega crafting, Dungeons, Taming , Hunting, Arena ,I could go on.

Not a game for anyone looking for fast action or immediate gratification, More for someone who likes to take their time to develop a character and enjoy their time in a game.

Therian Saga has opened their english open beta a  few weeks ago ( originally developed in french ) and I am having fun enjoying the ride so far.

As always with a free game you can buy in game boosts and perks, but It doesn't give me the impression of pay to win, speedups are limited, only a certain amount per day.

Give it a whirl you may be pleasantly surprised

http://www.theriansaga.com

"All expectation leads to suffering" Buhhda

Comments

• ArtaiosArtaios Member UncommonPosts: 550

You forgot the Housing!

• mayankingmayanking Member UncommonPosts: 162
    what kinda combat is it
  • MadatanMadatan Member UncommonPosts: 182

Thanks for the tip, OP!

This is just my style.

• wayne84wayne84 Member Posts: 4
    The best sandbox browser game that I have ever seen... it's amazing... very Ultima Online style... for me now is a drug :)

turn based

• sacredfoolsacredfool Member UncommonPosts: 849
    I must say, i've been enjoying this game a lot. 

Originally posted by nethaniah

Seriously Farmville? Yeah I think it's great. In a World where half our population is dying of hunger the more fortunate half is spending their time harvesting food that doesn't exist.

• ClaimanClaiman Member UncommonPosts: 1

I can confirm that this game grips you somehow. The day I stumbled on this game, i got drawn into it quite quickly and I have seen in grow steadily, there is a lot of community chat and helpfull info from other player to the new arrivals. People also do their best to provide info on the forum threads. A typical evening I see about 400 players on line at once, 3 weeks ago we were more like 150. 

The crafting style is like I remember from Fallen Earth, continue crafting when off line.

I play it when I can and often besides another MMO, as a tabbed window.

The game is worth a look when you like a slow-casual MUD-like style browser based hybrid on the side activity.

In my humble opinion. 

For me, it has exactly the right balance between waiting for something to finish and actively having to do something. 

Seriously Farmville? Yeah I think it's great. In a World where half our population is dying of hunger the more fortunate half is spending their time harvesting food that doesn't exist.

• H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380

I've been looking for a good sandbox game for a while now so I decided to give this a shot after seeing this thread pop up.

Let me just say in no unmistakable terms that this is not a primary game.  It is a game that you play while playing other games or either you make multiple accounts and play them all at once.

Doing just about anything is a HUGE TIME SINK.

I spent 6.5 hours one night hunting Stags in order to raise my hunting skill up enough to hunt Boars.  Uhhhh, no.  Six and a half hours, and 36 Stag kills later, and I've only gone up two points in hunting skill.  Still more than three points to go before I can even attempt to kill my first boar.  I'm looking at a solid 8-10 more hours hunting Stags. 

Let that sink in.  I set my character to hunt stags for 6.5 hours.  I can do nothing else on that character until he's done.  The game is literally playing itself for most of the day while I wait.

I get a quest to go explore a certain forest for a missing object.  I go there and find out I need exploration of 8 to even start to explore these woods.  I check my exploration.  I'm at five.  It took over seven hours of exploring lower "ranked" areas of the game to bring my rank up high enough.

Also, the NPC's sell items that you need in order to complete basic crafting tasks.  For instance I need copper blades in order to skin the stags I hunted.  I check every NPC in the game and I can't find any at all.  They NPC's sell out of the basics quickly and don't restock often enough.  The only other place to find copper blades is at the player market and they're being sold there at mind blowingly high prices where buying them will mean that I won't make squat by butchering the Stags.

It's not a bad game at all.  In fact, it's quite enjoyable.  It IS absurdly slow.  I can see it taking months or even years to have the character that I want.   It's definitely not for the instant gratification crowd.

Personally, it's TOO slow for me.  I don't need instant gratification, but over two hours of real time resting to heal my character up after spending ten minutes clearing a dungeon?  Nah.  Maybe if it was twenty minutes or so.

• hardsun79hardsun79 Member UncommonPosts: 66

Well its perfectly slow for me to be my non-primiry game. If it would be faster - that would require too much time for browser game.

And its more about planning and thinking, not clicking.  When you need to move to new territory or get new recources or do new crafts - you play mind games planning what do you need, where to get equipment or finding best ways to achive certain skill levels considering what you do have.  So its more of mind planning/solving challenge or socializing/trading with others challenge.

The action part is dungeons fights - and i do spend like 1h +/- there per day.  Different dungeons have different secrets and foes.

The other part of active player gaming is when one try to figure out all those not-so-easy to solve hidden quest. And those often happen to be not so straight forward and could be intresting to solve.

• SomeHumanSomeHuman Member UncommonPosts: 560

At first I thought this was a horrible game.  I played through the first island, and I'm beginning to see the beauty of it.  I'm playing it right now as a matter of fact.  It is a great game for the work week, and it is designed to be played this way.  I'm getting the same sense I got from some of the table-top games I've played.

I agree that it is not a main game.  It's something to do on the side, while you watch videos, cook dinner, catch-up on some office work at home, or read forums.  I thought it was worth another nod on the forums.

Gaming since 1985; Online gaming since 1995; No End in Sight! My YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8POVoJ8fdOseuJ4U1ZX-oA

• JimmyYOJimmyYO Member UncommonPosts: 519
    Facebook RPG's are not the way to progress MMO gaming, especially ones that don't realize they're facebook RPG's.

Originally posted by JimmyYO
    Facebook RPG's are not the way to progress MMO gaming, especially ones that don't realize they're facebook RPG's.
    did you play it even a second?
    if yes you would not spill this trashtalk...
  • AtrusVAtrusV Member UncommonPosts: 305
    Personally, I am quite skeptical about browser games. There are a lot out there and just a bunch of them are good enough to be fun. But until I discovered Therian Saga all of them were mainly about building a base, attacking, defending, and that's all more or less. I am glad this one tries to explore new grounds.

•  

For an older gamer like myself, the pace of the game play (which I agree is something which seems absurdly slow compared to the frenetic pace of modern MMOs) is not unattractive and I think this game has a lot of merit as a crafting centric sandbox. At least that is what I have found so far.

I do think it should be easier to explore. You get quests early on that you cannot hope to do any time soon because your exploring skill is so low. Or perhaps I am doing something wrong in terms of equipment? I bought a compass and that didn't seem to help much. In any case the apprentice that was missing from Teasan village for two days will be lucky if I start looking for him in two months haha.

I don't know whether I will stick to this game or not but there is a lot I like about it. I think you are supposed to do quests and dungeons while you are are logged on, then set a bunch of long tasks for your character overnight and log off.

The community seems quite good too.

Thanks to the OP for raising the profile of this game.

• SaaboSaabo Member UncommonPosts: 35

First browser game that doesn't pressure me into buying diamonds or whatsoever to be able to compete or make it comfortable enough to be playable. I actually feel inclined to buy blue crowns because the game is fun. I don't feel like I am forced to compete with people.... I can craft the items I am interested in and sell them on the market to other players. I can explore, fight or just browse the market for better equipment other players crafted. 

The community is really helpful, answering all my questions. It's a very good browser game that doesn't demand much of my time, but feels like I am progressing every time I login, without seeing how I will ever max out all of the crafting jobs. Really refreshing to play a game, that doesn't try to take my money at every corner.

• MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479

aww, just when I go to check it out, its offline

• hardsun79hardsun79 Member UncommonPosts: 66
    I think it was offline like ~3-4h only while they did update whith tonns of new stuff.
    Aye, the update was on the 18th, but it seems the game has some server problems right now.

• CelliealiaCelliealia Member UncommonPosts: 8
    I have been playing the game for about a week now and I think it is very good for what it is. I totally agree with the OPs description and I would also like to add that the English server I'm playing on has, by far, the best community I've met in any kind of MMO. They are always patient and ready with lots of information and even free items sometimes.  I'd say it is worth a try for those who like this type of game.
  • LcarLcar Member UncommonPosts: 3

I started playing Therian Saga thinking It would be killing time for about half an hour up to an hour a day.

Oh man was I wrong. This game is ... very ... addictive, and very complex if you're trying to min/max everything

If you are trying to level as fast as you possibly can, this means that you have to understand all the mechanics and be knowledgeable about all the professions, which is very time consuming. Knowledge is everything in this game.

Therian Saga is mind-blowingly  the only alternative to EVE Online if you're looking for a game that will let you develop/advance your character without being online in the game. For that, it gets a 10/10 from me

• LerxstLerxst Member UncommonPosts: 648

Alright, I'll try this.

I started it a couple days ago but had little info to go on. Still on the first island, I saw 10 seconds to do this, 15 seconds for that, etc. and thought for sure they would try spamming "gold" or some other type of in-game/real-world currency down my throat, so I stopped.  I played Tribal Wars and Travian, so I was used to games trying to milk money out of you by inflating the gameplay with useless time limitations.

So far, I'm pleasantly surprised. Just about to leave the island and haven't had anything rammed down my throat. Seems I can play it at a rather relaxed, but fast pace compared to the others I mentioned. The time limit for actions doesn't seem "glacial" like a lot of these games do and they haven't yet spammed me for my credit card info or to get money out of me in some way.

In fact, I'm playing it as I type this :D

• LerxstLerxst Member UncommonPosts: 648

Day 2 and I'm sort of taking back what I said. No, the game still isn't forcing things down my throat. It doesn't really like to forgive though. It's a game of trial and error where the error takes 10 minutes out of your game play.

It's like they combined the key factors of a lot of MMOs and then took out the hassle of actually doing anything in between. I just spent 4 minutes traveling from one location to another, only to find out the resource I needed was right next to the first location, which meant another 4 minute trip back. In a regular MMO, the process of getting from point A to point B at least involves some interaction, you can hunt, fight MOBs, or gather resources. In this game it's just... blehhh... in between destinations.

• EverketEverket Member UncommonPosts: 244

Which is great - for some. I rarely sit and just play therian saga, its something I have on my second screen monitor while I multitask. But if im doing a dungeon the games have my full attention for a while.

Not everyone will find that kind of game enjoyable, its not that kind of game that requires your full attention for hours.

• PhelimReaghPhelimReagh Member UncommonPosts: 682

It starts out cool and fun-ish when tasks are 2 minutes, 4 minutes, 7 minutes, etc. But it isn't long before tasks begin taking 20 minutes, 30 minutes, SIX HOURS, lol. And in most cases, you need to do a good 5-10 of them. The game is turning out to be, basically, line up a task or two, then set up a sleep task to recharge, repeat, repeat, log out and come back in several days.

I like these kinds of building games where you can stack up upgrading, training, tasks, etc. But this game got brutal in a short amount of time. And I imagine that as the trend has been getting longer and longer queues for stuff, I would expect it to continue.

And there doesn't seem to be any way to stay ahead in the money game, because any task you complete costs, like, X coins, but you usually end up with X/2 (or worse) at the end of it, considering you often have to use store-bought crafting ingredients that are hard to find. And then another huge batch (I'd say an outright majority) of the tasks cost a good chunk of change to do, but you only get a mere CHANCE at a skill up. Or a half. Or one tenth of one, lol.

My opinions of this game between day 1-2 and day 20 are remarkably different. Still trying to get to "the good stuff", but I only really get on every other day, at best. Since I can't really do anything for that long.

Very detailed and involved crafting and housing. But to create said housing takes such a long time (we're talking weeks) it really sucks the fun out of it.