Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Big Change to Addons

Comments

• NewnanNewnan Member UncommonPosts: 98
    Originally posted by Iselin

Now where did that thread go with someone telling me I was reading too much into what the devs said when this site asked them about the add-on controversy.... another missed opportunity to say "I told you so"

the difference in the information on opponents available between add-on and plain was ridiculous. It was either this or make the same info available through the default UI...which, actually, I would have preferred.

Exactly, The base UI is just TOO minimal. they should atleast add these UI elements that people made addons for as an option for the BASE UI which most of them where already part of the base UI but ZOS took them out and say "well let people Create addons to do this" since theirs were buggy. Im not saying we should have to have Addons or any Unfair advantage but Make the base UI have options that every mmo give you now.  If the player wants to play in ignorant land that's fine.

Screw leveling games, give me something with "End game" at the beginning of the game.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by Newnan

Now where did that thread go with someone telling me I was reading too much into what the devs said when this site asked them about the add-on controversy.... another missed opportunity to say "I told you so"

the difference in the information on opponents available between add-on and plain was ridiculous. It was either this or make the same info available through the default UI...which, actually, I would have preferred.

Exactly, The base UI is just TOO minimal. they should atleast add these UI elements that people made addons for as an option for the BASE UI which most of them where already part of the base UI but ZOS took them out and say "well let people Create addons to do this" since theirs were buggy. Im not saying we should have to have Addons or any Unfair advantage but Make the base UI have options that every mmo give you now.  If the player wants to play in ignorant land that's fine.

This is a band-aid people, there's no time right now to do all of that before launch, they have real issues to tackle. Priorities...

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• AzothAzoth Member UncommonPosts: 840

Yes, the game probably will be a challenge to play with almost no feedback.  However, a challenge to play due to the UI is not the same thing as challenging content.

It is exactly the same, if you need to be told what and when to do something it removes any challenge. They could design the most challenging content ever, if your addons still tell you what to do, you are still left with something easy.

All the cues are in game in the current UI, it's just less obvious.

Yes, like playing a game of chess where you don't get to know what moves your opponent makes or how many pieces they have left.  That would certainly be challenging, but the kind of challenging that makes it no fun to play.  Information on the enemy allows for tactical play.  Why do you think the military gains intelligence on the enemy before acting?

You can get all the intel you want, when you are in the middle of it, it is chaos. You don't have a computer telling you when to take cover and when to fire. It's instinct, you react to what happens around you.

In any fighting match, you react to what your opponent throws at you, you don't need a screen to tell you it's a jab coming your way. You don't need to know on what level of exhaustion he is. If the punch are coming slower, you know he is low.

Tell me what was needed for your enjoyment ? Is being able to tell who is a werewolf and a vampire needed ? Is being able to target friends target to auto focus on anyone in pvp needed ? Is being able to tell that your opponent is at 15% magicka needed ? You needed to be told when to block and when to counter ?

Too much information is the same as not enough, I want to play the game not the UI. This is the first game where healing can be fun, because you don't have to stare at health bars.

Originally posted by Azoth

Yes, the game probably will be a challenge to play with almost no feedback.  However, a challenge to play due to the UI is not the same thing as challenging content.

It is exactly the same, if you need to be told what and when to do something it removes any challenge. They could design the most challenging content ever, if your addons still tell you what to do, you are still left with something easy.

Yes, like playing a game of chess where you don't get to know what moves your opponent makes or how many pieces they have left.  That would certainly be challenging, but the kind of challenging that makes it no fun to play.  Information on the enemy allows for tactical play.  Why do you think the military gains intelligence on the enemy before acting?

You can get all the intel you want, when you are in the middle of it, it is chaos. You don't have a computer telling you when to take cover and when to fire. It's instinct, you react to what happens around you.

In any fighting match, you react to what your opponent throws at you, you don't need a screen to tell you it's a jab coming your way. You don't need to know on what level of exhaustion he is. If the punch are coming slower, you know he is low.

Tell me what was needed for your enjoyment ? Is being able to tell who is a werewolf and a vampire needed ? Is being able to target friends target to auto focus on anyone in pvp needed ? Is being able to tell that your opponent is at 15% magicka needed ? You needed to be told when to block and when to counter ?

Too much information is the same as not enough, I want to play the game not the UI. This is the first game where healing can be fun, because you don't have to stare at health bars.

Well said, especially the part about Vampires and Werewolves, that's like having a cheat sheet on your enemy, if you don't play games without one of those good riddance.I still remember a time when you had to learn your enemy to beat your enemy, now they want an app that does it for you, and these are supposed to be the hardcore gamers ROFL..

Originally posted by Distopia

This is a band-aid people, there's no time right now to do all of that before launch, they have real issues to tackle. Priorities...

So doing a 180 two weeks before launch is an OK bandaid? We have been promised Addons like every other ES game in history. The Knee JERK reaction is Shady.  They could of fixed exactly what people didn't like (the unfair advantage) but no they ran almost all the addon's into to the ground.

Screw leveling games, give me something with "End game" at the beginning of the game.

Originally posted by Distopia

So doing a 180 two weeks before launch is an OK bandaid? We have been promised Addons like every other ES game in history. The Knee JERK reaction is Shady.  They could of fixed exactly what people didn't like (the unfair advantage) but no they ran almost all the addon's into to the ground.

That's what a band-aid fix is, it's something to fix the biggest point of contention for now until you can actually come back to it and analyze the metrics properly. There are for more pressing matters than addons, and they didn't remove them all, just the ones that displayed certain information they didn't want accessible. Again priorities. When even the makers of apps are calling them "unfair" something should be done.

• Eol-Eol- Member UncommonPosts: 274

Great change. I am glad they bit the bullet and made this change because the AvA add-ons were totally incompatible with their philosophy of a clean UI and players reacting to what's happening, not robotically to their UI.

Very relieved they made the change. That could have been a real problem for a lot of casual players who I think will be a large part of this game's population.

Elladan - ESO (AD)
    Camring - SWTOR (Ebon Hawk)
    Eol & Justinian - Rift (Faeblight)
    Ceol and Duri - LotRO (Landroval)
    Kili - WoW
    Eol - Lineage 2
    Camring - SWG
    Justinian (Nimue), Camring - DAoC

• killion81killion81 Member UncommonPosts: 995
    Originally posted by Azoth

If the animations and visuals were adequate to determine what the enemy was doing or how injured they are, it would make more sense to me.  However, as i mentioned in my edit to the post you replied to, I think it opens up an opportunity for unique skills.  There aren't a ton of slots on the action bar, so spending one to provide more detailed information on your opponent (health, stamina and magicka) and another for detailed information on what they doing (cast bar) could be pretty sweet.  Everyone gets what they want, but you're down two combat options if you want max info.  I could represent your character actively developing these skills.

Originally posted by angriel

Great change, I'm all for it!

Those addons with scrolling combat text were ugly anyway. It's nice to have a classy and minimalistic UI and play the game instead unit frames. 

I wonder why they blocked the possibility to see self-buffs etc.?

And, hopefully, LootDrop addon will stay? It was the only addon I found really useful. 

You say you like the changes, yet they broke most of the useful addons such as Dragon loot.  also why do you care if people have to option to have scrolling combat text when it was Originally an option the Dev removed since they want "an addon" to do it.  ZOS went too far in these changes.

Originally posted by angriel

Great change, I'm all for it!

Those addons with scrolling combat text were ugly anyway. It's nice to have a classy and minimalistic UI and play the game instead unit frames. 

I wonder why they blocked the possibility to see self-buffs etc.?

And, hopefully, LootDrop addon will stay? It was the only addon I found really useful. 

You say you like the changes, yet they broke most of the useful addons such as Dragon loot.  also why do you care if people have to option to have scrolling combat text when it was Originally an option the Dev removed since they want "an addon" to do it.  ZOS went too far in these changes.

They broke an addon?  what sense does that make? How do they break a third party app? How does an app deserve priority over what a developer wants for their own game/code?

• GregorMcgregorGregorMcgregor Member UncommonPosts: 263
    Back to the UI from Hell. /sigh

No trials. No tricks. No traps. No EU-RP server. NO THANKS!

...10% Benevolence, 90% Arrogance in my case!
  • TalulaRoseTalulaRose Member RarePosts: 1,247

Very happy they are limiting the info available.

Hated playing Aion when everyone was able to see exactly what gear you were wearing and everything else before actually engaging in pvp.

Gotta love the pvp players who will only fight once they have determined its an automatic win.

I don't think it will take long for the NA pvp community to find out how to imbalance the pvp.

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    Is there a combat log in this game yet?
  • ReticulataReticulata Member UncommonPosts: 98
    Originally posted by Warjin

No, No, No and NO, those of you who want a screen facial turning this game into all other MMO's ruining my experience by pretty much forcing me to download the same screen facial clutter to be on par with those that have the addons can just not play, there are many MMO's on the market that will give the tools and addons you want but not this one.

Look Below, see that mess? Nah I'm good, you can have that but not me.

Thank you for illustrating the exact reason I quit WoW after only 2 months. The add-ons made me throw up in my mouth on a daily basis. /puke

SOE changes name to Daybreak games, cause dey break games.
  • TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910
    Originally posted by Reticulata

No, No, No and NO, those of you who want a screen facial turning this game into all other MMO's ruining my experience by pretty much forcing me to download the same screen facial clutter to be on par with those that have the addons can just not play, there are many MMO's on the market that will give the tools and addons you want but not this one.

Thank you for illustrating the exact reason I quit WoW after only 2 months. The add-ons made me throw up in my mouth on a daily basis. /puke

I stopped playing with the addons.  The game works just fine without them.  Of course, not if you want to raid or get into competitive PvP.  Then they are required, and the game is about the addons, not the game or the game world.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

Originally posted by immodium
    Originally posted by Lugors

Stolen from Tamriel Foundry.  Most succient list of what UI mods can now, and lost the ability to do now.

YES: own damage/healing value and name
    YES: incoming damage/healing value
    NO: not who, what, type incoming damage/healing
    NO: non-character sheet data: no specific resistances, spell penetration, critical damage bonus
    NO: no non-long term or permanent self buff durations (buffs longer than 30s), no self buff icons, no egg timers (yet even Morrowind and Oblivion TES games had buff durations)
    NO: no way to know the detailed scaling of abilities
    NO: no way to know what abilities are broken
    NO: no way to know what abilities are imbalanced
    NO: no way to know what combat playstyles are most viable
    NO: no way for healers to know what/when to Cleanse/Efficient Purge/manage HoTs/manage special abilities (very costly spells).

Personal opinion, I would like one more beta crack to see how bad the changes make the interface.  I understand the developer motives in this, but it is one hell of a bait and switch.  Guess we're playing like it's 1999 (EQ interface style)

I'm surprised they did this. I thought the majority liked easy.

Easy isn't the same thing as giving an advantage to group over another.

• aslan132aslan132 Member UncommonPosts: 619

Most people will see this as a positive change. The beta API was giving WAY too much information. And it was never intended for all of that to go into launch. As ZOS has stated earlier, the open API was intended just for the alpha and beta, to allow modders to see what they can do, and to get a rough idea of what players would want in addons. Once all that was done, they restrict it to what they feel is important to the players, but not gamebreaking.

So far, Ive basically seen two sides of the argument. Those that are good at PVP are ok with the change. They know their skills in combat and the ability to adapt in the chaos will still overcome an opponent. They dont rely on 3rd party software to tell them when to duck, dodge or get out of the way. They dont need some program or addon to tell them what to cast, when to do it, and on which target. Its combat, its chaotic, and its always changing and evolving. You have to react to the situation in the heat of battle. 

Then you have those who suck at PVP. They need all those bells and whistles because they dont understand the fundamentals of the game mechanics. Probably dont even know what most of their skills do, they just push buttons when the addons tell them too. As long as they see purdy numbers scrolling on their screen, they know they did something right. They also watch those numbers, and push the button queues without paying attention to the game around them. All those combat queues happen in animations if only they would focus on the game and not the UI and addons. Oh well, some people will never learn. Whats funny is those are probably the same people who complain about quests doing to much "hand-holding" and yet, they want their hand held by a combat addon..... wheres the logic there??

• ReticulataReticulata Member UncommonPosts: 98
    Originally posted by lizardbones

I stopped playing with the addons.  The game works just fine without them.  Of course, not if you want to raid or get into competitive PvP.  Then they are required, and the game is about the addons, not the game or the game world.

It quickly became apparent as you leveled, and began entering raids, that it was a player-imposed requirement in order to participate. Nothing like having to log out and screw around with add-ons in order to participate in game-play. /quit

SOE changes name to Daybreak games, cause dey break games.
  • GrandAtrocityGrandAtrocity Member CommonPosts: 7

Love the Change.

That's all I have to say apart from 

Thank you.

Originally posted by aslan132

Most people will see this as a positive change. The beta API was giving WAY too much information. And it was never intended for all of that to go into launch. As ZOS has stated earlier, the open API was intended just for the alpha and beta, to allow modders to see what they can do, and to get a rough idea of what players would want in addons. Once all that was done, they restrict it to what they feel is important to the players, but not gamebreaking.

So far, Ive basically seen two sides of the argument. Those that are good at PVP are ok with the change. They know their skills in combat and the ability to adapt in the chaos will still overcome an opponent. They dont rely on 3rd party software to tell them when to duck, dodge or get out of the way. They dont need some program or addon to tell them what to cast, when to do it, and on which target. Its combat, its chaotic, and its always changing and evolving. You have to react to the situation in the heat of battle. 

Then you have those who suck at PVP. They need all those bells and whistles because they dont understand the fundamentals of the game mechanics. Probably dont even know what most of their skills do, they just push buttons when the addons tell them too. As long as they see purdy numbers scrolling on their screen, they know they did something right. They also watch those numbers, and push the button queues without paying attention to the game around them. All those combat queues happen in animations if only they would focus on the game and not the UI and addons. Oh well, some people will never learn. Whats funny is those are probably the same people who complain about quests doing to much "hand-holding" and yet, they want their hand held by a combat addon..... wheres the logic there??

I don't know what crack your smoking, put the pipe down.  Please tell me of this addon that tells me what buttons to press? Obviously All addons ever created for ESO play the game for the user. And how would you know what your abilities are doing without information on the skills? rolling the magic 8 ball of crack ... "its doing damage" must be good logic. without addons the game's broken mechanics would still be unknown to the community.

• WightyWighty Member UncommonPosts: 699

This partial quote sums it up in a nutshell... Addons are a crutch... Those of you who have played PvP in the game know that the TTK is relatively short and the action is pretty fast...

A good player knows their buff schedule, can recognize others buffs/damage shields and can also see when a players bar is below a certain (rough) percentage so they can use a finisher attach when available.

Learn to adapt or play something else. This is not a hard choice here...

What are your other Hobbies?

Gaming is Dirt Cheap compared to this...

It quickly became apparent as you leveled, and began entering raids, that it was a player-imposed requirement in order to participate. Nothing like having to log out and screw around with add-ons in order to participate in game-play. /quit

Why are you bringing up WOW that has nothing to do with the problem at hand. WOW doesn't impacts ESO's UI at all.

• TalulaRoseTalulaRose Member RarePosts: 1,247

I don't know what crack your smoking, put the pipe down.  Please tell me of this addon that tells me what buttons to press? Obviously All addons ever created for ESO play the game for the user. And how would you know what your abilities are doing without information on the skills? rolling the magic 8 ball of crack ... "its doing damage" must be good logic. without addons the game's broken mechanics would still be unknown to the community.

Observation and basic math can tell you all you need to know.

Or you can just google it and follow someone else's guide and let the add-ons do all the thinking for you.

• nightscarnightscar Member Posts: 31

I'm glad ESO just stuck it to those who feel compelled to use add-ons and makes it the norm for everyone else. If I had my way... ALL add-ons would be banned!

play the game like it was ment to be played.. you don't like it.. go somewhere else

k

thx

bye!

Why are you bringing up WOW that has nothing to do with the problem at hand. WOW doesn't impacts ESO's UI at all.

It is an example of what happens when mod makers have access to the kind of information that Zenimax took out of the mod api.  Namely that the game becomes playing the mods instead of playing the game.