Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Big Change to Addons

Comments

• WightyWighty Member UncommonPosts: 699
    Originally posted by Newnan
    Originally posted by Wighty
    Originally posted by Giffen
    This is an absolutely horrible change.  The default UI is one of the worst ever seen in MMO history, addons were the only thing making it bearable.

Wrong... If you want graphs and flow charts on your UI just play WOw or Wildstar... You can sit there and crunch numbers until your heart is content...

API functionality should simply limited to aesthetic modifications on your own screen. Which is the direction they are clearly taking.

I would have to disagree with you, The base UI should just have to options that every other MMO is history has had over the last 15 years.  If you want to not have something then you, your self should just turn it off. don't force others to play the way you play it. We all have equal rights to play the way we want to play. Make it Fair, but GIVE US INFORMATION.

So basically people bitch and complain that everything out there is a "clone" or has "no inovation" and then a game comes out that doesn't adhere to the norm and thinks outside the box and now people bitch and complain that it not like every MMO made in the last 15 years...

This is some f'd up logic...

This vid pretty much says it all...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27LzPvvpqHY

What are your other Hobbies?

Gaming is Dirt Cheap compared to this...

• NewnanNewnan Member UncommonPosts: 98
    Originally posted by Distopia
    This is an absolutely horrible change.  The default UI is one of the worst ever seen in MMO history, addons were the only thing making it bearable.

Wrong... If you want graphs and flow charts on your UI just play WOw or Wildstar... You can sit there and crunch numbers until your heart is content...

API functionality should simply limited to aesthetic modifications on your own screen. Which is the direction they are clearly taking.

I would have to disagree with you, The base UI should just have to options that every other MMO is history has had over the last 15 years.  If you want to not have something then you, your self should just turn it off. don't force others to play the way you play it. We all have equal rights to play the way we want to play. Make it Fair, but GIVE US INFORMATION.

Sorry it's the makers of a game that set the rules of a game. As long as everyone has to adhere to the rule it's as fair as it's going to get. Addons change that, they (zenimax) stopped that from happening.

Two weeks before launch and a Major "KNEE JERKING" Reaction is not the way to solve the problem most people have. Let alone all the broken quests, spells, animations.  They should of spent more time fixing the game breaking bugs then taking the easy way out and just deleting all the addon's that  ZOS promised would fix the problem the game had. Which for the longest part it did. If they would just fixed the advantage slightly but leave the core of the information in the UI we wouldn't have had this problem.

Screw leveling games, give me something with "End game" at the beginning of the game.

• flguy147flguy147 Member UncommonPosts: 507

Sorry it's the makers of a game that set the rules of a game. As long as everyone has to adhere to the rule it's as fair as it's going to get. Addons change that, they (zenimax) stopped that from happening.

Agreed, Even Atropos who invented FTC admitted tonight on Twitch that it IS a competitive advantage over the people that dont use it.  

• NewnanNewnan Member UncommonPosts: 98
    Originally posted by flguy147

Agreed, Even Atropos who invented FTC admitted tonight on Twitch that it IS a competitive advantage over the people that dont use it.  

So fix the advantage NOT Just remove the entire addon or addons across the board that ZOS promised would fix the major issues the game had.  Not to mention EVERY ES PC game has addons.

Screw leveling games, give me something with "End game" at the beginning of the game.

• flguy147flguy147 Member UncommonPosts: 507

So basically people bitch and complain that everything out there is a "clone" or has "no inovation" and then a game comes out that doesn't adhere to the norm and thinks outside the box and now people bitch and complain that it not like every MMO made in the last 15 years...

This is some f'd up logic...

This vid pretty much says it all...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27LzPvvpqHY

Yep exactly, I have realized that people only want the game that is being made specifically for them.  Because when games do things differently which is one of the biggest complaints in the genre they still complain about it.  Its just because it wasn't designed the way they wanted it for them. 

• timidobservertimidobserver Member UncommonPosts: 246
    Originally posted by flguy147

So fix the advantage NOT Just remove the entire addon or addons across the board that ZOS promised would fix the major issues the game had.  Not to mention EVERY ES PC game has addons.

Addons are not being removed across the board....

• OtakunOtakun Member UncommonPosts: 874
    I've been testing a lot of the addons people have made on the PTS server. Seems like I now have more work to do testing them all over again to see if they are even worth keeping anymore. Though I have to say, people seem to have a vast imagination on what these addons actually do in the game. 
  • hulgarhulgar Member Posts: 93
    I can only say..wohooooo!!!
    +100 move..
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

This is GREAT news !

I was beginning to worry that ZOS would renege on their promises to "address the API issues" in response to the huge protest about imbalanced Add-on's. It would have sent a very bad signal if the devs expressly promised to address a specific issue BEFORE launch and then just let it quietly slide. Those sort of shady tactics create a very negative feeling in the playerbase.

Hopefully now people will focus their add-on development efforts on producing useful alternative GUI's, not automated combat systems.

• KabonKabon Member UncommonPosts: 78

No Enemy infos fine for me to a ceraint degree BUT i want to be able to see if he casts something by ANIMATION if that isnt possible its just a random game who wins no tactics involved.

No infos about your own Character ...is the worst decision you can do Zenimax...basically you need to feel if your debuffed or watch glowing effects or go read about a boss fight .. this boss makes a debuff that increases the damage you take every time you move ...you just have to go read about tactics to beat a boss cause you have no way to know what certain things do ...thats just wrong. You need to feel when your Heal over time is gone and your other 10 short term buffs....

Now if you could easily recognize all these effects on your character there would be no need for UI infos but in reality you will never be able to with 10 different glowies around you.

[mod edit]

But Mr.Old Mmo Guy still waits for a Game with aDeveloper that has a real Vision for his Game.

• ShrewdDuckShrewdDuck Member UncommonPosts: 21
    So happy I canceled my pre order. Limited UI, animations, and  hot key abilities just seems like it's made for consoles and not PCs. I might try TESO when it's F2P.
  • baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

Originally posted by Wighty Originally posted by Giffen This is an absolutely horrible change.  The default UI is one of the worst ever seen in MMO history, addons were the only thing making it bearable.
    Wrong... If you want graphs and flow charts on your UI just play WOw or Wildstar... You can sit there and crunch numbers until your heart is content...   API functionality should simply limited to aesthetic modifications on your own screen. Which is the direction they are clearly taking.

this isn't the other games you have played in the last 15 years.

the UI is very similar to ES, that's what they wanted and they succeeded IMO

they don't want you to "play the UI" they want the UI clean and for the player to have to react to what the target does, not what their UI tells them.

that was their vision and i applaud them for sticking to it.

• hulgarhulgar Member Posts: 93
    Wow..quite a few buthurt "pro" gamers..one even want to kick casuals. Im going to tell you domething "son" without "casuals" money you wont even have as many games as you have now. Now go to cry to your room and think about it
  • WarjinWarjin Member UncommonPosts: 1,216

No, No, No and NO, those of you who want a screen facial turning this game into all other MMO's ruining my experience by pretty much forcing me to download the same screen facial clutter to be on par with those that have the addons can just not play, there are many MMO's on the market that will give the tools and addons you want but not this one.

Look Below, see that mess? Nah I'm good, you can have that but not me.

• DeitylightDeitylight Member UncommonPosts: 103
    Do people know that because of the add ons, the pts testers were able to find broken skills and get them fixed because of it? These add ons believe it or not did more good then harm no matter how people spin it. If they won't allow us to use add ons, then at least upgrade the ui. If not I fear for this game.

• WightyWighty Member UncommonPosts: 699
    Originally posted by Warjin

No, No, No and NO, those of you who want a screen facial turning this game into all other MMO's ruining my experience by pretty much forcing me to download the same screen facial clutter to be on par with those that have the addons can just not play, there are many MMO's on the market that will give the tools and addons you want but not this one.

This is pretty much what Wildstar is going to look like...

What are your other Hobbies?

Gaming is Dirt Cheap compared to this...

• BrannagarBrannagar Member CommonPosts: 72

When I heard this I was pretty surprised that Zenimax came down on the side of the anti-mod crowd.  Not because I didn't think their arguments were legitimate but because so many developers come down on the opposite side.

I posted my thoughts on this at my blog which you can read there if you would like.  

http://corpserun.wordpress.com/2014/03/20/ui-mods-information-and-combat-in-mmos/#more-655

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

Now where did that thread go with someone telling me I was reading too much into what the devs said when this site asked them about the add-on controversy.... another missed opportunity to say "I told you so"

the difference in the information on opponents available between add-on and plain was ridiculous. It was either this or make the same info available through the default UI...which, actually, I would have preferred.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• grafhgrafh Member UncommonPosts: 320
    Originally posted by Elikal

I find it highly questionable to alter a fundamental UI function a few days before release. People tested the game with certain features, maybe basing the buy decision on it, and now UI addons get gutted DAYS before launch? I can not judge whether or not the changes are good or bad, but hectic last minute changes of the entire UI functionality doesn't bode well. It makes them look dishonest and sort of driven.

EDIT: It is a horrible communication misstep if anything. Just see how SOE does it with Everquest Next + Landmark, how open they debate about everything, explain ALL their rationales, in detail, in videos, forum entries and chat. But ZOS? They just drop last minute changes on us, no debate, no questions asked, just "eat or die". Very bad PR and community handling if you ask me. (I know you won't, so I say it anyways. You know me. ^^)

It's not to late to return preorders right? Those who dont like this change should still be able to cancel if im not mistaken. 

Personally i like the change. I think no MMO should allow add-ons. Even though they are not removing add-ons, but the changes are for the better imo.

Maybe this time I wont have to worry about dps meters, or players using other add-ons that auto heal people, or tell them when a boss is going to do something, or when an anchor is going to start, or when a player is casting a hostel spell on you, or something to auto target the lowest health person in an area, etc etc.

I never understood how people could use all these add-ons. Its like the game is playing itself isnt it? Where is the skill in that? 

• StarIStarI Member UncommonPosts: 987

Getting better and better however I have t oagree with:

Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

There is one thing i would like to see from all of this.... thats my own buffs on myself... like food and potion stuff... and htings comming from most of my spells...  Need to know when to recast these and there is mostly no infor about this in the annimations or game graphics..

• the420kidthe420kid Member UncommonPosts: 440

awsome change.

I freaking hate spell alert mods or playing my UI, I welcome the fact we have to watch animations and think + react to the game not the UI or what mods tell us to do.

We still get all the UI customzation, gear swapping, loot help etc kinda mods we just dont see enemy info I think its a great change

• ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142

That mess is a guy that don't change most of his basic UI with addons, he just adds a few on top of it.  By going fully for UI addons you from that pile of crap to this.

Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
  • MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

Originally posted by Warjin No, No, No and NO, those of you who want a screen facial turning this game into all other MMO's ruining my experience by pretty much forcing me to download the same screen facial clutter to be on par with those that have the addons can just not play, there are many MMO's on the market that will give the tools and addons you want but not this one. Look Below, see that mess? Nah I'm good, you can have that but not me.

Try Elvui its minimalistic and hows everything you need to know, and it looks pretty...it makes wow a totaly diffrent game and in a good way.

But i gues people want to play mmo's that have a 20 year old UI style with no info wth is going on.
    Thing is the animations in ESO are so bad you realy dont know WTH is going on.
    At least in 10 year old WoW with standard UI you can see WHATS going on.
    But damn Zenimax is trying to lay focus on so much quality of life issues and denying it and zero focus on stuff that needs to get done that i have a hard time i would even play it when it goes free to play...

• NecropsieNecropsie Member UncommonPosts: 142

Don't get me wrong, but whenever i see a comment like this (if you dont like it, go play WoW) that usually means two things:

- Only the hardcore something something fans will play that game two months after the launch.

- That "out of the box" game will go to f2p in less then a year.

Oh let me save you the trouble: I will go play WoW now, don't worry.

Stages of a new mmo: 1) It's just beta. It still has plenty of time before release. 2) It just launched. Give it time. WoW wasn't built in a day. 3) We don't need you anyway. 4) F2P announced. 5)Huge influx of players. 6) Look how much has changed. 7) Cash shop is the only thing developed lately. 8) It has been a long journey and we thank everyone who was part of it. Shutting down in 3 months. (Courtesy of Robokapp.)

• doragon86doragon86 Member UncommonPosts: 589

How would other folks using such addons ruin your experience? Ain't no one forcing you to use addons. 

Anyways, I don't mind the changes they made regarding an opponents info, though I don't understand why they messed with user and friendly player information. 

"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
    And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:
    And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
    And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"
    ~Lord George Gordon Byron