Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Big Change to Addons

Comments

• NakedFuryNakedFury Member UncommonPosts: 411
    Originally posted by Giffen
    This is an absolutely horrible change.  The default UI is one of the worst ever seen in MMO history, addons were the only thing making it bearable.

This game has a very clean and simple UI, easily the best I have ever seen.

• NewnanNewnan Member UncommonPosts: 98
    Im very upset about thing. The ESO base UI sucks.

Screw leveling games, give me something with "End game" at the beginning of the game.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by FlyByKnight

Oh no, you mean people are going to have to pay attention to visual cues, and make reads and have reactions? The horror.

This^

And also agreed about it being one of the better UI's in an MMO.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• timidobservertimidobserver Member UncommonPosts: 246
    This is an absolutely horrible change.  The default UI is one of the worst ever seen in MMO history, addons were the only thing making it bearable.

Your point is irrelevant since this update is not requiring you to use the default UI. The amount of information that is available has been limited, but there will still be plenty of addons for those that don't like the default UI. 

• superconductingsuperconducting Member UncommonPosts: 871

I like the api changes. all good news in my opinion.

Remember- removing the ability to see others' stats during battle is exactly what we asked for.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Seems to be exactly what we have been asking for..

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    The more I think about it, the more I like it.  It adds a layer to game play.
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
    Originally posted by bcbully
    The more I think about it, the more I like it.  It adds a layer to game play.

It does... it makes the actuall information the game graphics and annimations give you much more valuable....

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• LisaFlexy22LisaFlexy22 Member UncommonPosts: 450
    I support this move.
  • Skeeter50Skeeter50 Member UncommonPosts: 147
    I support the decision.
  • BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    How bad was it with addons before they reduced how robust they could be? What was the most offensive piece of information that was able to be accessed by addons?

The base UI is crap. We should be able to at least see friendly buff/debuffs. we should also have our own cast bars. as Options.

Also you people that are saying play off the animations. most animations for procs overlap. and when in 100+ AVA your skill animations probably will not show up.

Screw leveling games, give me something with "End game" at the beginning of the game.

Originally posted by Newnan

The base UI is crap. We should be able to at least see friendly buff/debuffs. we should also have our own cast bars. as Options.

Also you people that are saying play off the animations. most animations for procs overlap. and when in 100+ AVA your skill animations probably will not show up.

I can understand removing enemy player data. However, I could honestly live with friendly buffs/debuffs and your own cast bars. I don't think that would hurt a lot. That said, I can also live without it. 

• Skeeter50Skeeter50 Member UncommonPosts: 147

Your own buffs you should count 8-10 seconds(long buffs are still available=30 seconds plus) in your head, play the animations such as glowing resource bar for instance. If you have to read the UI for de-buff info it is too late. Enemy armor/class/animations tell you everything you need to know about their build after you learn the game.

Originally posted by timidobserver

I can understand removing enemy player data. However, I could honestly live with friendly buffs/debuffs and your own cast bars. I don't think that would hurt a lot. That said, I can also live without it. 

There is one thing i would like to see from all of this.... thats my own buffs on myself... like food and potion stuff... and htings comming from most of my spells...  Need to know when to recast these and there is mostly no infor about this in the annimations or game graphics..

In most of the VR content the fight requires the management of Buffs/debuffs on players and the boss its self and are probably going to be impossible for the average player to notice it without some form of BETTER UI 

I support no addons IF the Base UI wasn't so MISinforming.

Edit: The biggest problem with these changes is not the removing of "Unfair Advanatges" its was a "knee JERK" reaction by completly removing most of the addons not just the famous FTC.  Almost all of the addons were effected. one of my favorite "dragon loot" displays loot dropped by party and your self in chat. (a common mmo feature) is not completly broken as well as many... many more addons.

They should have fixed the issues with specific things People thought were too much of an edge instead of just clicking the delete button across the board. 

Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

There is one thing i would like to see from all of this.... thats my own buffs on myself... like food and potion stuff... and htings comming from most of my spells...  Need to know when to recast these and there is mostly no infor about this in the annimations or game graphics..

I agree, except I don't use the word need when it comes to addons. I'd like that data, but I don't really need it. I'll be fine without it, but it would be extremely convenient to be able to have it. 

IMO, the most important function of this data is bug testing rather than actual gameplay use. It is easier for players to pick up on some ability not functioning correctly if they are getting a lot of data on it via an addon. Now it will be difficult to figure out what is working right without a stop watch and a graphing calculator.

Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

I agree, except I don't use the word need when it comes to addons. I'd like that data, but I don't really need it. I'll be fine without it, but it would be extremely convenient to be able to have it. 

IMO, the most important function of this data is bug testing rather than actual gameplay use. It is easier for players to pick up on some ability not functioning correctly if they are getting a lot of data on it via an addon. Now it will be difficult to figure out what is working right without a stop watch and a graphing calculator.

I am glad you brought up bug testing. since most of the game is broken to hell and only with the addons we were able to uncover how such class's as Nightblade are broken as hell.

The base UI is crap. We should be able to at least see friendly buff/debuffs. we should also have our own cast bars. as Options.

In most of the VR content the fight requires the management of Buffs/debuffs on players and the boss its self and are probably going to be impossible for the average player to notice it without some form of BETTER UI 

I support no addons IF the Base UI wasn't so MISinforming.

Nailing a live octopus to a wall is the only thing that is impossible. Everything else is merely difficult.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    http://strawpoll.me/1346912/ straw poll on the topic.
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

I find it highly questionable to alter a fundamental UI function a few days before release. People tested the game with certain features, maybe basing the buy decision on it, and now UI addons get gutted DAYS before launch? I can not judge whether or not the changes are good or bad, but hectic last minute changes of the entire UI functionality doesn't bode well. It makes them look dishonest and sort of driven.

EDIT: It is a horrible communication misstep if anything. Just see how SOE does it with Everquest Next + Landmark, how open they debate about everything, explain ALL their rationales, in detail, in videos, forum entries and chat. But ZOS? They just drop last minute changes on us, no debate, no questions asked, just "eat or die". Very bad PR and community handling if you ask me. (I know you won't, so I say it anyways. You know me. ^^)

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

Originally posted by Elikal
    I find it highly questionable to alter a fundamental UI function a few days before release. People tested the game with certain features, maybe basing the buy decision on it, and now UI addons get gutted DAYS before launch? I can not judge whether or not the changes are good or bad, but hectic last minute changes of the entire UI functionality doesn't bode well. It makes them look dishonest and sort of driven.

I agree, I WANT THIS GAME TO BE A SUCCESS, but ZOS has been shady as **** for a long time.

• WightyWighty Member UncommonPosts: 699

Wrong... If you want graphs and flow charts on your UI just play WOw or Wildstar... You can sit there and crunch numbers until your heart is content...

API functionality should simply limited to aesthetic modifications on your own screen. Which is the direction they are clearly taking.

What are your other Hobbies?

Gaming is Dirt Cheap compared to this...

Originally posted by Wighty

Wrong... If you want graphs and flow charts on your UI just play WOw or Wildstar... You can sit there and crunch numbers until your heart is content...

API functionality should simply limited to aesthetic modifications on your own screen. Which is the direction they are clearly taking.

I would have to disagree with you, The base UI should just have to options that every other MMO is history has had over the last 15 years.  If you want to not have something then you, your self should just turn it off. don't force others to play the way you play it. We all have equal rights to play the way we want to play. Make it Fair, but GIVE US INFORMATION.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by Wighty

I would have to disagree with you, The base UI should just have to options that every other MMO is history has had over the last 15 years.  If you want to not have something then you, your self should just turn it off. don't force others to play the way you play it. We all have equal rights to play the way we want to play. Make it Fair, but GIVE US INFORMATION.

Sorry it's the makers of a game that set the rules of a game. As long as everyone has to adhere to the rule it's as fair as it's going to get. Addons change that, they (zenimax) stopped that from happening.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson