Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Last minute removal of Amazon, BB and Gamestop for pre-orders... Carbine concerned about cancellatio

2»

Comments

• beepybeepy Member Posts: 4
    Hadnt noticed this. I will have to go check it out. I preordered from Carbine/NCSOFT already so I guess for me its a moot point. However, I feel like this would be an enormously stupid thing for them to do. More options for people are always better than less when it comes to them buying your game.
  • TX_ImhotepTX_Imhotep Member Posts: 30
    Originally posted by Voqar

I find it odd that anybody would buy an MMORPG from a source other than the developer/publisher themselves.

You will still have to create an account, login, use the launcher, and may even be doing a full install via launcher no matter where you buy it (and for sure if you do early access or beta play since you won't get any physical media before the release date).

I further find it odd the wild leaps of insanity people make from things like this.

Maybe because you can often get it cheaper at a retailer? I paid $60 for the DDE from GMG. Same key you would get from NCSoft and $15 cheaper.
  • MachkeznhoMachkeznho Member UncommonPosts: 424
    its because practically no one got to beta test this game and the only for sure way to get in now is the preorder.  Folks are getting into the game and realizing what i did, its horribly optimized and runs poorly and the leveling feels like its on rails.  then they are canceling their preorders after testing the game.
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    Originally posted by Stevon
    Originally posted by laserit
    Maybe they've decided to go with a "digital only" sales plan.

How insightful.   You completely missed the part about "why" and the fact that the boxed edition is for sale without pre-order bonuses and can be cancelled.

Conjecture much?

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654
    Originally posted by Datastar
    its because practically no one got to beta test this game and the only for sure way to get in now is the preorder.  Folks are getting into the game and realizing what i did, its horribly optimized and runs poorly and the leveling feels like its on rails.  then they are canceling their preorders after testing the game.

Well this is simply not true.

There have been many beta key events so far...

If you were to google right now you could find some for this weekends event.  ZAM for instance still has keys, mmorpg.com has had keys for the Wildstar beta for weeks, it's very easy to check out the game.

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072
    Originally posted by Gormogon
    Originally posted by Voiidiin

I generally buy most new MMO's but WS has been a hard sell to me, i almost pre-ordered last week but decided to hold off on that idea till after ESO release day.

Honestly if i really wanted to do the whole max level-->raid --> gear up-->raid-->gear up again, i would go back to WoW where its done better and has a ton of more depth.

No i am not saying the tired argument that WS is a WoW clone (its pretty close though) but i am saying that if i really wanted the same exact style of gameplay why would i pin my hopes on something untested, and now the developers are not showing confidence in sales.

Hmm, i will sit on the fence alot more now, hoping there is more to be revealed to help me fall off it in favor of buying it.

Er, didn't it just become available for preorder today?

Nevertheless, your point is still valid.  If one is looking for the gear up-and-raid-to-gear-up-to-raid treadmill, what are they exactly getting that they couldn't get out of WoW, where they've already invested thousands of hours?  I don't ask that to point out that WildStar is lacking there, just that it's a fair question for somebody thinking about playing WildStar to ask.

Different setting, different lore, different maps, different raid sizes, different classes, different gameplay mechanics, different rest of the game. Why does anyone EVER buy a sequel of a multiplayer shooter? Sequel of an RTS game? Why do we even bother buying new games when you can do everything basically in the elder games already? It's kinda a stupid question tbh.

• Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654
    Originally posted by Kuinn

Different setting, different lore, different maps, different raid sizes, different classes, different gameplay mechanics, different rest of the game. Why does anyone EVER buy a sequel of a multiplayer shooter? Sequel of an RTS game? Why do we even bother buying new games when you can do everything basically in the elder games already? It's kinda a stupid question tbh.

Agreed, the gameplay is so fundamentally different I'm confused as to how people can be confused at this point.

• TbauTbau Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 401

I find it odd (and as a customer very concerning) that Carbine changed, this morning, the pre-order page to no longer list the big 3 video game stores for pre-orders.   They also added the statement that pre-orders are non-refundable.

So what do you think?  

I think this is much ado about nothing. They themselves cannot stop other companies from refunding or not and many companies offer no refunds on their own sales.

So, stop being concerned about Wildstart and worry about whatever game you are actually going to buy.

• A.BlacklochA.Blackloch Member UncommonPosts: 842
    Originally posted by stragen001

*sigh*

You can still order from all those places, and still get all the preorder bonuses just as if you were ordering from them direct. 

All they have done is change their webiste to promote their own NCsoft store

This. They're just trying to maximize the profits, which is only a smart thing. People need to calm down and step down from that conspiracy train.

• GormogonGormogon Member UncommonPosts: 224

I generally buy most new MMO's but WS has been a hard sell to me, i almost pre-ordered last week but decided to hold off on that idea till after ESO release day.

Honestly if i really wanted to do the whole max level-->raid --> gear up-->raid-->gear up again, i would go back to WoW where its done better and has a ton of more depth.

No i am not saying the tired argument that WS is a WoW clone (its pretty close though) but i am saying that if i really wanted the same exact style of gameplay why would i pin my hopes on something untested, and now the developers are not showing confidence in sales.

Hmm, i will sit on the fence alot more now, hoping there is more to be revealed to help me fall off it in favor of buying it.

Nevertheless, your point is still valid.  If one is looking for the gear up-and-raid-to-gear-up-to-raid treadmill, what are they exactly getting that they couldn't get out of WoW, where they've already invested thousands of hours?  I don't ask that to point out that WildStar is lacking there, just that it's a fair question for somebody thinking about playing WildStar to ask.

It was a rhetorical question that requires placing a value on the things you mention.  This is why I said "get out of WoW", not "find in WoW."

Your own answer to the question indicates you only value things being different (however superficial), and that's all anybody should be looking to get out of a game, but that's obviously not how millions of players look at it.  Almost 7 million people still play WoW despite almost a decade of different games being available.  Plenty of them still play WoW almost exclusively.   There are players in every game who play that game almost exclusively.  If different was all that one needed to get out of a game to play it, then everyone should always buy the next game that comes out.  The results to the insane number of "Which will you be buying: ESO or WildStar?" polls/questions across the internet is enough to demonstrate that is not happening.

• fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682

I find it odd (and as a customer very concerning) that Carbine changed, this morning, the pre-order page to no longer list the big 3 video game stores for pre-orders.   They also added the statement that pre-orders are non-refundable.

So what do you think?   Are they concerned about players cancelling their pre-orders before launch?  Do they not have confidence in the game after all?   Seems a bit underhanded to force you to a binding purchase for a non released game.    They aren't the first company to do so but the fact that they stated you COULD buy via the big three for pre-order then suddenly removed the option is telling.

Btw if you do order from Gamestop you will NOT receive any pre-order bonuses in spite of the previous directions from Carbine.  Gamestop customer service stated that the game does not come with pre-order bonuses.

Guess it's time to get some alternative beta weekend keys and try it out.   I don't relish giving them my money 2 months before the game launches without the possibility of a refund.

This tells me they know they are in trouble.

Arenanet, which like Carbine is also owned by NCSoft,  made a point of offering full refunds on pre-orders right up until launch day. Heck, I think they have even offered refunds to some players who have played in retail and just decided they didn't like the game.

No-refunds on Pre-orders and the pulling of retailer pre-order bonuses should be a massive danger sign to anyone thinking of buying this game.

The game possesses some potential, but the business model is a horrible fit for the game and when the game fails to achieve anything beyond mediocre success it will be largely due to the business model. Now, with this latest you can see that Carbine also don't comprehend good business practices.

What until 2015, when this game is almost certain to convert to F2P or B2P.

At this point, non-refundable pre-orders are just further evidence that Carbine's goal is a quick cash grab that they hope will be big enough that NCSoft won't just fire top management outright. At least there is enough here to save with an eventual F2P conversion. NCSoft didn't even try to salvage Tabula Rasa.

God, I hate developers that pull #%^@ like this. Horrible.

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

• kamiyadorikamiyadori Member Posts: 14
    Originally posted by fiontar

So what do you think?   Are they concerned about players cancelling their pre-orders before launch?  Do they not have confidence in the game after all?   Seems a bit underhanded to force you to a binding purchase for a non released game.    They aren't the first company to do so but the fact that they stated you COULD buy via the big three for pre-order then suddenly removed the option is telling.

Btw if you do order from Gamestop you will NOT receive any pre-order bonuses in spite of the previous directions from Carbine.  Gamestop customer service stated that the game does not come with pre-order bonuses.

Guess it's time to get some alternative beta weekend keys and try it out.   I don't relish giving them my money 2 months before the game launches without the possibility of a refund.

This tells me they know they are in trouble.

Arenanet, which like Carbine is also owned by NCSoft,  made a point of offering full refunds on pre-orders right up until launch day. Heck, I think they have even offered refunds to some players who have played in retail and just decided they didn't like the game.

No-refunds on Pre-orders and the pulling of retailer pre-order bonuses should be a massive danger sign to anyone thinking of buying this game.

The game possesses some potential, but the business model is a horrible fit for the game and when the game fails to achieve anything beyond mediocre success it will be largely due to the business model. Now, with this latest you can see that Carbine also don't comprehend good business practices.

What until 2015, when this game is almost certain to convert to F2P or B2P.

At this point, non-refundable pre-orders are just further evidence that Carbine's goal is a quick cash grab that they hope will be big enough that NCSoft won't just fire top management outright. At least there is enough here to save with an eventual F2P conversion. NCSoft didn't even try to salvage Tabula Rasa.

God, I hate developers that pull #%^@ like this. Horrible.

Well thank god you are posting in a troll thread mate. The information the OP posted is false. Which has been pointed out multiple times through out this thread. You can still pre-order from all the other sources and get the bonuses. Carbine is simply advertising its own pre-order. 

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072

It was a rhetorical question that requires placing a value on the things you mention.  This is why I said "get out of WoW", not "find in WoW."

Your own answer to the question indicates you only value things being different (however superficial), and that's all anybody should be looking to get out of a game, but that's obviously not how millions of players look at it.  Almost 7 million people still play WoW despite almost a decade of different games being available.  Plenty of them still play WoW almost exclusively.   There are players in every game who play that game almost exclusively.  If different was all that one needed to get out of a game to play it, then everyone should always buy the next game that comes out.  The results to the insane number of "Which will you be buying: ESO or WildStar?" polls/questions across the internet is enough to demonstrate that is not happening.

If I recall right, Blizzard released some statistics recently saying they've had 100 million unique accounts made to WoW. If 8 million people are still palying, and lets just say out of thin air that 30 million accounts have been duplicates or something similar, that's still over 50 million accounts that have quit or did not like WoW but found interest in it over the past 10 years.

A lot of those people including my self have jumped into the "hey lets wait for the big triple A sandbox that will be released one day" but also a lot of people just want something similar but different. Wildstar is probably going to appeal to those people, and perhaps to some of those who keep playing WoW but whine daily that they'd want to play something new.

When I quit WoW I recall the endless whining how a lot of people wanted something new. Well, we have got a bunch of themeparks, that failed, but it's always been easy to pinpoint reasons why they failed, at least for my self. Who knows, maybe Wildstar will be complete enough to actually offer a full themepark experience to anyone who wants such and therefor offer the value that the audience is expecting for their time.

• ImpacthoundImpacthound Member UncommonPosts: 367
    I think GW2 and FF14 ARR were a little too loose with their refund policies. Quite a few content locust powergamers devoured the game at a 40-hour/week rate and got their money back in the first month or two. It's like going to an all-you-can-eat buffet as a competitive hotdog eater, getting full & satisfied, and ducking out on small check you were already getting your value for by saying you found a fly in your dessert.
  • Pig-EyePig-Eye Member Posts: 115

Devil's advocate here...

Maybe they played their own game

I got your Deliverance!

Where's my banjo?!!