Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Prefered combat style.

13»

Comments

• Vermillion_RaventhalVermillion_Raventhal Member EpicPosts: 4,198
    I like tab target with a mix of action and targeting. All action MMORPGs get on my nerves. Aiming and not being able to target the right npc because they're overlapping sucks. Constantly angling and aiming to line up a zoned attack is annoying too.
  • nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by Deivos

The fact being, individual perception of a game's mechanic to status does not change how it actually functions.

So? This fact is irrelevant of whether i like that mechanics or not.

You have no fact disputing my preference. I can like, or dislike anything, for any reason.

• DeivosDeivos Member EpicPosts: 3,692
    Originally posted by nariusseldon

The fact being, individual perception of a game's mechanic to status does not change how it actually functions.

So? This fact is irrelevant of whether i like that mechanics or not.

You have no fact disputing my preference. I can like, or dislike anything, for any reason.

A preference can not be an argument, therefore you have no valid argument.

Seriously why can't you get this.

Have any opinions you want, how the game mechanics work does not change just because you choose not to acknowledge their operation.

"The knowledge of the theory of logic has no tendency whatever to make men good reasoners." - Thomas B. Macaulay

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel J. Boorstin

Have any opinions you want, how the game mechanics work does not change just because you choose not to acknowledge their operation.

You are just round and round .. trying to argue something that is not there. i never said the mechanics changes. I never said my toon will be harm.

That has nothing to do with whether i like it or not. You are spewing irrelevant facts just to try to win an argument.

The point is this .. i don't like your design. There is nothing you can do but to accept it. I can explain further why .. but a "fact" about game mechanics cannot change preference. And that is an argument you have no counter.

As you originally presented it, you stated concern about the game's mechanics.

" i don't like my toons in the game world that is not under my control"

Clarifying that said concern is pointless, as you are never out of control, was what left you with naught but your opinion.

That happened multiple times with you giving a vague concern and me elaborating on how that can be ameliorated, only for you to express an even more vague concern.

This isn't talking in circles, it's you backpedaling and now getting defensive about it.

At this point you seem to have your opinion to be nothing other than contrary.

Point is, you don't have to like my design, I fully acknowledge that people can irrationally hate whatever they want. What you started arguing and what you're now claiming are not the same thing. We can read as much.

"The knowledge of the theory of logic has no tendency whatever to make men good reasoners." - Thomas B. Macaulay

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel J. Boorstin

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359

In general, I like all different kinds of combat in games.  Turn based, RTS style, pure twitch....

But for MMORPGs, I'm 100% action all the way.

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

Clarifying that said concern is pointless, as you are never out of control, was what left you with naught but your opinion.

uh? I thought you said "leave your toon in the world when you log off". Isn't that the definition of out of control. I cannot tell my toon to walk 10 feet to the left, or to the right, or hide from that hated stranger.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
    Originally posted by Creslin321

In general, I like all different kinds of combat in games.  Turn based, RTS style, pure twitch....

I actually think that stealth combat with hacking may be great in MMO instances, although no one has tried that. Before that, i suppose i can like action combat too.

Most MMOs have pretty water-down action combat ... except marvel heroes, and may be the space battle in STO.

• SpectralHunterSpectralHunter Member UncommonPosts: 455
    Ideally, I'd want a mix.  I am not fond of full twitch combat so some tab targeting is perfectly fine.  I'd like to see tab-targeting with positioning and flanking affecting combat.  I think Guild Wars had something like that (higher ground boosted ranged dps) and there are plenty of MMOs  that allows you to hit automatically from the rear.  I don't like being rooted while attacking unless the attack or spell is very powerful and thematically requires the character to hold their position.

uh? I thought you said "leave your toon in the world when you log off". Isn't that the definition of out of control. I cannot tell my toon to walk 10 feet to the left, or to the right, or hide from that hated stranger.

I said the toon stays in the world, yes, but I also said you still can interact with said toon in multiple ways when not at your PC, as well as having the option to queue tasks and thus avoid having any complications with them if you elect not to do anything else after leaving the PC.

On top of that, your example of 'hide from that hated stranger' would be an example of moot point. If your avatar has no interaction with them then you have no interaction with them. For that matter that's an element that can be included in their behavioral patterns that I mentioned before. You hate someone? Flag them so your avatar will respond accordingly.

I gave such examples and clarifications already. Your dismissal of such is the only thing that perpetuates any argument you can provide.

I actually think that stealth combat with hacking may be great in MMO instances, although no one has tried that. Before that, i suppose i can like action combat too.

Most MMOs have pretty water-down action combat ... except marvel heroes, and may be the space battle in STO.

I would be fine with stealth stuff too, I consider that "actioney" provided that it's collision based etc.  I liked the combat in GW2 for example.

I just don't like combat that isn't based on collision like pure tab target combat.

• MMOman101MMOman101 Member UncommonPosts: 1,786
    I assume this is for MMOs and not other types of games. 

“It's unwise to pay too much, but it's worse to pay too little. When you pay too much, you lose a little money - that's all. When you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything, because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do. The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot - it can't be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.”

--John Ruskin

I would be fine with stealth stuff too, I consider that "actioney" provided that it's collision based etc.  I liked the combat in GW2 for example.

I just don't like combat that isn't based on collision like pure tab target combat.

GW2 has some nice mechanics .. but the enemies are meh ... and there aren't enough. I am always fighting just 2-3 .... you never get the "oh shit ... i am blocked off by a horde and cannot run" feeling as in D3, or other ARPGs.

GW2 has some nice mechanics .. but the enemies are meh ... and there aren't enough. I am always fighting just 2-3 .... you never get the "oh shit ... i am blocked off by a horde and cannot run" feeling as in D3, or other ARPGs.

Some of the dungeons in GW2 are a bit like that....I mean, it's not a game where you get swarmed like D3, PoE, TL2 etc...GW2 is a pretty different game from them.

The PvP in GW2 is decent though I think.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

IDK there is no selection for a FFXI type design which is by a VERY big long shot my favorite type of combat.

Yes i like RNG if the formulas are done really well,simply put that even in real life there is ALWAYS a luck factor.

I prefer combat that works as a group not as a solo minded player.I prefer delay times to be used but not as cheap as i see most games with these 1-2 second timers that is more like SPAM not timers.Delay also means in the weapon delay and the whole design should be proper,meaning slower weapons do more spike damage,slower weapons faster continuous,perhaps more DOT.

I prefer effects when working as a group,example the Renkai system in FFXI with tons of variant choices.

Now even though FFXI design was my favorite,the developer missed out on tweaking and improving which would have put that system on another planet when compared to the crap i  see now.

As for what msot are calling ACTION combat,that ONLY works with realism IF players are using virtual reality gear at home.Having to look at your keyboard or base action on who can use the keyboard the best is NOT realistic action combat.However if say for example players were using hand gloves that would control your weapon swings in game,you would get realistic combat and able to keep your focus on the screen and not on your keyboard.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

Some of the dungeons in GW2 are a bit like that....I mean, it's not a game where you get swarmed like D3, PoE, TL2 etc...GW2 is a pretty different game from them.

Certainly. I didn't say GW2 action combat is bad either. I do like some of the abilities, and animation. And certainly it is better than tab-target, then launch a fireball everything 3 seconds.

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230

Certainly. I didn't say GW2 action combat is bad either. I do like some of the abilities, and animation. And certainly it is better than tab-target, then launch a fireball everything 3 seconds.

Yeah, its definitely a good direction to explore.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• YoungCaesarYoungCaesar Member UncommonPosts: 326
    Chivalry combat on an open world with full loot would be the greatest mmorpg ever...
  • JemcrystalJemcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 1,984
    Play FFXIV feels good to be back playing the traditional style of combat.  I'll never get used to anything else.

• mmoguy43mmoguy43 Member UncommonPosts: 2,770

I like a lot of combat styles as long as it is more than mashing random abilities or spamming the same one for an easy victory.

I want more games tactical slower paced combat with heavy RPG influences.

• SomeOldBlokeSomeOldBloke Member UncommonPosts: 2,167
    I think I prefer action combat now. I went back to Rift recently and found the combat slow as the GCD seemed to take decades.
  • free2playfree2play Member UncommonPosts: 2,043
    Pillow fights.
  • KirrikKirrik Member UncommonPosts: 70

I prefer a combination of tab targetting and action combat. Maybe some dodge/block/parry functionality thrown in there.

Even though the telegraph system in Wildstar works very nice it's breaking immersion with those big telegraphs:) Maybe thats just me hehe.